Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Obituaries!

A feature I'd really love to see is an obituary option on the computer. I only have the base game, DO, and GTW so don't know if the notification system has been updated in those EPs, but currently the only way I find out other sims have died is when they gray-out in my relationship panel. . . or call to invite my sim out to dinner as a ghost :D

An obituary web page could list deaths as well as the cause, and could open the door for some interesting gameplay mechanics; gloomy sims could get the whim to check them, as well adms elders. Mean and evil sims could too, and get a positive moodlet, especially if the dead sim was someone they didn't like! :) There could also be an option for sims to leave a comment on the page; for mourning sims, it could lessen the negative moodlet (similar to crying at the urn/tombstone) whereas mean or evil sims could leave a nasty comment and get fun and a positive moodlet.

Any thoughts/comments? Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited February 2017
    Actually, your sim can read obituaries when they are sad.
    I have this option on computer. No mods or CC. It has same sound effect as Grim Reaper's tablet has.
    Edit: Gloomy sims don't need to be sad to read these.
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • Options
    jessienebulousjessienebulous Posts: 108 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Actually, your sim can read obituaries when they are sad.
    I have this option on computer. No mods or CC. It has same sound effect as Grim Reaper's tablet has.

Really? I've never encountered this. Do the obituaries pertain to actual in game deaths, or is it just a moodlet action with no information?
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    Not even a moodlet. I think it raises the fun bar. Evil sims can read obituaries too.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Do the obituaries pertain to actual in game deaths, or is it just a moodlet action with no information?

Sadly they do not pertain to in-game deaths. Death is very poorly integrated into TS4. Do you mind if I add a link to your topic in my thread "Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed"?
  • Options
    Terra wrote: »
    Do the obituaries pertain to actual in game deaths, or is it just a moodlet action with no information?

Sadly they do not pertain to in-game deaths. Death is very poorly integrated into TS4. Do you mind if I add a link to your topic in my thread "Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed"?

No, go right ahead :)
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I wish we not only had them, but funerals or the option to go them. I would love the ability as a active family member to pick out the casket, flowers, clothes for deceased sim, music type, ect. They could make a gamepack or stuff pack, Death & Darkness and use it to add more eerie things into our game. >:)
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    My sim's sister recently died of old age, and I only found out when her picture was greyed out... I really wish that 1) My sim was actually told about it, and 2) My sim actually pretended to care, I mean if your sister died, you would expect for possibly the tiniest bit of grief!!

Also I really hope we do get funerals one day, because in my game I have 4 sims who started as young adults, they are now elders so they're going to die any day now, and it's sad to know that these sims that I have gotten attached to won't be remembered or missed at all by their family...
  • Options
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I wish we not only had them, but funerals or the option to go them. I would love the ability as a active family member to pick out the casket, flowers, clothes for deceased sim, music type, ect. They could make a gamepack or stuff pack, Death & Darkness and use it to add more eerie things into our game. >:)

That could be interesting. I can picture mean/evil sims pointing to the casket and laughing.
  • Options
    dansneller wrote: »
    My sim's sister recently died of old age, and I only found out when her picture was greyed out... I really wish that 1) My sim was actually told about it, and 2) My sim actually pretended to care, I mean if your sister died, you would expect for possibly the tiniest bit of grief!!

Also I really hope we do get funerals one day, because in my game I have 4 sims who started as young adults, they are now elders so they're going to die any day now, and it's sad to know that these sims that I have gotten attached to won't be remembered or missed at all by their family...

Well, if they live in the same household they will mourn, but otherwise yes, nothing at all happens. And it most definitely should!
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    Not even a moodlet. I think it raises the fun bar. Evil sims can read obituaries too.

So THAT'S why some of my Sims can randomly do that, while others can't! Aaaand another mystery is solved :D
    dansneller wrote: »

Well, if they live in the same household they will mourn, but otherwise yes, nothing at all happens. And it most definitely should!

Not quite right. Anyone can mourn at the urn if they're on the lot if you mean that.
    And they are only sad about the death (if you meant this) if they've actually been present while the Grim Reaper turned the dead Sim into a pile of ash in an urn. If someone dies on the first floor, people in the third floor might not have noticed and they will basically never know that someone died.
    Yep. This system definitely needs a huge overhaul.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    How about a Will especially if Elder Sims die they can pass on the money to their children like they did in Sims 2 and also have a Window saying ex. Bob Sims died pay respect to his family like they did in Sims 3.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    We have them in the newspaper in Sims 3 as well as baby and wedding announcements - I miss getting all of those. In the Sims 2 we get pop up death notices (warnings too when someone is about to die) and if our sims had inherited anything or gotten insurance money.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LiquidsatinLiquidsatin Posts: 54 Member
    I love this Idea it would bring more depth to the game and I am all about that.
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I kinda wish sims would sob if they were super attached to the sim that died or maybe run to cry alone etc

Feels like my sims barely react or just sob for one day
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    If the UI was similar to Online Dating in TS3, I think this could be interesting.
    I have OR, GTW, SD, DO, RG, CK, V, MH, PP and LP. I don't have anything like it in my game and I doubt any of the packs I don't have would influence it because they don't really focus on death too much. The Vampires one focuses on death quite a bit so if the death list was a feature, I'd have it. I would want to see the deaths as the player, not just my sim get a buff from it.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!