Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fall exchange: please come in Mia!

HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
edited November 2016 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Hi @MiaSkywalker ! I was your buddy this exchange! That was fun as since your medieval lot contest I got to know the thing you like to build. Now, let's hope I created something new and original that you like! You like fantasy/medieval so I tried to work with that in the gifts I made for you.

I kind of had a difficult start, as you really liked to have some medieval commercial lots. 'Problem': I didn't own savvy seller, so making a 'real' store would be hard. I decided to go community (hoping you wouldn't mind) and thought of a library. 'Problem 2': a library in medieval times? Don't think so!

Then I realized there were places in medieval times where books could be found. Monks would make beautiful copies of books in the old times! I just needed to make a place for them to work:
Screenshot-29_zpscbshesve.jpg

It has a library with a lot of tables for reading and study:
Screenshot-18_zps6d2ehk2a.jpg

As I was working, the library seemed so lonely so I added a garden with space for you to fill.
Screenshot-14_zpsxcpyiopq.jpg
Screenshot-20_zpsfnxpaino.jpg

Then I made a nectar-brewery to go with it:
Screenshot-16_zpsyknn6n6d.jpg

and I decided to add a living area (just in case you don't want it to be a community lot and use it as a big house ;) )
Screenshot-17_zps35udp4nx.jpg
Screenshot-19_zpsbjci90m7.jpg

It ended up being quite big (40x40 lot)
Screenshot-15_zpszvm2gbn6.jpg

The building was so empty and I decided to make a few artists and writers, maybe you will let them live here? They don't have any skillpoints yet:
original.jpg

You can download the building here and the family here.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I will continue my story. When I was working on the monastery, I started thinking about a real commercial lot and I wanted it to be a house too. I thought of a crafter and since I have a glassblowing station, it was going to be a glassblowers workshop. So I started building:
    Screenshot-24_zps0gfi4jyz.jpg

I searched the entire buymode for glass items but did not like the workshop very much at first, because it felt like a museum and not a shop. I got lucky with ads (lots of them, sorry game for not spending time with you) and was able to get the right stuff to make the store work!
    Screenshot-27_zpsvd0el7db.jpg
    Screenshot-26_zps6md4ie3a.jpg

On the upper floor I build the living area
    Screenshot-25_zpsjrkkrtbg.jpg
    Screenshot-28_zpsnex1zuyf.jpg

And of course you would need a glassblowers family to live and work there.
    Screenshot-31_zpsrdzbwlal.jpg
    Screenshot-30_zps9xufuw9g.jpg
    Screenshot-33_zpsdnerkihr.jpg

Download the workshop here and the glassblower here.
    Post edited by Hoplass on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The last gift I made! The first one was kind of big (40x40) and the second one small (15x10) so I decided to go inbetween for the last building: 20x20. There was one more shop/house I wanted to make for you as you like woods a lot. You need to be able to get those wooden items somewhere right? So I made a carpenters workshop/house.

Screenshot-39_zps28t4enn5.jpg

Donwnstairs is the shop and in the back a small workplace and storage area
    Screenshot-40_zpsd2fsb0s6.jpg

Upstairs a bathroom, 2 bedrooms and living area
    Screenshot-38_zpsf7o1vnsr.jpg

I made a small family to go with the build: meet the Woods:
    Screenshot-46_zps9qnjtx0h.jpg

Screenshot-35_zpsn2rmqlpo.jpg
    Screenshot-37_zpsiowotn2z.jpg
    Screenshot-47_zpsqsdhllbu.jpg
    Screenshot-45_zpsst3fohqu.jpg

Of course you need the download links:
    Workshop: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9013010
    Family: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9011728
    Post edited by Hoplass on
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Horizon Library is a fabulous idea for medieval times as are the artist and writer monks! Easy to see this build placed in other worlds too... hidden away in Hidden Springs, for example :)
  • Options
    tanubanuetanubanue Posts: 4,116 Member
    This is a neat idea. I have a good place for it up on a hill where I'm sure monks would like to live :)
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited November 2016
    Oh, that's so neat! You made a monastery! You did a beautiful job decorating it, too!

A commercial lot doesn't really need the savvy seller set. Fact is, I never use it, there are too many other ways for our Sims to make money, and it just feels out of place to me most of the time. A commercial lot where you just DO things rather than buy things, like the lot you made, is much better. :)

I love the fact that you put a nectary in it. Lately nectar making has become a favorite thing with me. Which is ironic, since I don't drink.

Now, why is it that I never thought of putting those short hedges around any of my gardens? It looks so natural there, I think I'm going to start doing that with some of my gardens in the future. :)

I have to ask about the monks - what outfit are you using from the game for them? I've tried to make monks on occasion, but I could never find anything appropriate. Obviously whatever you used, you recolored, but I've never seen anything that I thought would look right. I'm guessing that I just never visualized it properly before, that's why I'm asking. :)
  • Options
    DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    This looks absolutely gorgeous! It has such a serene and calm feeling to it and all the little details, like the monks in their monk outfits just makes it perfect. Wonderful job! :)
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love the monks and all the areas are perfect for them.
  • Options
    I'm so glad you like it! Yes, their outfit was quite a challenge! I ended up using the outfit from the Japanese set from the store http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:44616 I recolored it but also used another texture, something from the 'weave' section I believe.
    I'll come back on the seller set, shht! ;)
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Love your monastery and your monks! Very creative @Hoplass - rec-a-roo for you!
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Awesome job!! Your use of the medieval items and recolors are spot on! It's amazing how recoloring something makes an entirely new item!
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Love this! Such a great idea! Looks soo peaceful. I may have to live here during the holiday retail season and Ommmmmmmmmmm. :D
  • Options
    XxHannelorexXXxHannelorexX Posts: 2,943 Member
    Fantastic idea! What a great build; love the garden and all the neat things, like the nectar brewery. Rec'd :)
  • Options
    Hoplass wrote: »
    I'm so glad you like it! Yes, their outfit was quite a challenge! I ended up using the outfit from the Japanese set from the store http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:44616 I recolored it but also used another texture, something from the 'weave' section I believe.
    I'll come back on the seller set, shht! ;)
    I don't think that robe ever occurred to me! Is it available for Seasons as well? If not, I may have to work on figuring out how to mod what outfits a particular piece of clothing can be used for. I should do that anyway. I hate how some of the store clothing is limited to certain outfits a Sim can wear. It makes making Sims - particularly male Sims - a little frustrating at times.
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited November 2016
    Oh my goodness! That is beautiful! Now I'm thinking of revising my Abbey and running it as a household with monks and everything :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love, love, love your creativity. Very, very nice! Excellent style.
  • Options
    The glassblower's workshop and couple are a wonderful concept to add to the medieval time period that Mia enjoys so much (and others will too!)! In fact, I am mightily tempted to grab your gifts and traipse through her studio then explore Dragon Valley... which I have never done before.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh my, the glassblower's house and shop is wonderful! I love the glass blower station. It can smelt metals as well as make stuff for you, and I love making the perfumes. The fact that it's a home and a shop is just PERFECT, because that's how they lived back then, their homes were right above their shops. (Imagine how convenient that was for going to work in the morning. They didn't have to deal with rush hour traffic, eh?)

I love the little details, and the fact that you made it with different touches from what I would have done makes it better, because then I don't have so much sameness. I find I tend to use the SAME deco all the time, and I notice that you used different things. And, of course, those are giving me ideas on different things I can do as well, which is always a good thing. :)

Beaker is a PERFECT name for a glassblower! I laughed as soon as I saw that. :D

I just wanted to add: I notice you gave the woman a purple dress. You remembered! :D It's one of the anachronisms I allow in my game. Purple dye was so rare and so expensive in the middle ages that only the very wealthy could afford it, and at least one king actually outlawed its use for anyone but royalty. But in my worlds, purple clothing is common, because I like looking at it. ;)
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @Hoplass - Love your glassblower workshop and the Beakers! Rec'd!
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    What fun! A monastery library, complete with monks! Looks great! And very much in keeping with the medieval theme! (And it very much suits DV, too!)

Glassblowing shop looks great...that's such a fun piece of premium content! (I adore the jewelry it added to the game!) And a cute couple to live and work there, too! Wonderful!
  • Options
    Of course I rememberd you like purple @MiaSkywalker , I won't forget those conversations about purple and emperors and bath-houses :D

I'm glad you like the Beakers, that name made me smile because it's a bit obvious but I really wanted to use it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    What a clever and pretty little carpenter's house! I haven't seen you post about it in the main thread, but I came here to check out your last comment, and looked up and saw it. Good thing I did!

I love all the little details I can see in your pictures, and especially love that there's a sculpting station. That seems the most appropriate thing for a furniture maker, since you can make furniture on it. Of course, I would probably force a carpenter to use only wood materials, just because. :)
  • Options
    The post was ready but I had some launcher trouble... I posted the link just a few minutes ago in the main thread, so you probably received that message by now. I thought you would force him to use wood only :p.
  • Options
    I have a suggestion for the images, btw. If you look at the images that show when you look at it on the Exchange, all you can see are trees. You probably aren't going to get too many downloads of it because of it, other than people viewing this thread. You might use Sims 3 UIC to change the images in it.

I would recommend making a copy of the pack file first (copying it into another directory is what I generally do), then use something like that program to change the images using screenshots you've made of the lot. It will look much nicer, and show off the lot a whole lot more than the default images ever will.
  • Options
    The Woods family and their carpentry/woodworking shop w/upstairs apartment is wonderful! <3 your creativity and attention to detail :)
  • Options
    Hmm so I used that program you mentioned @MiaSkywalker and it was really easy! :D But how do I upload it? Should I delete the original version in my studio and upload the one with the replaced pictures? My launcher tells me the build is already uploaded so I'm not sure what to do.