Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims Never Get Off Maternity Leave

Okay, so whenever my sim has a baby, she has the days off until she has the baby, then days off to 'settle in', but it seems like forever until she goes back to work. It's like ten days! Is their anyone who experiences this or is it just me? :)
Lantern-flying-in-Tangled.gif

Comments

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    What is your sims career? Some careers only work a few days a week, so you get those days off, plus your normal days off.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    picklesthecat114picklesthecat114 Posts: 2,690 Member
    @KevinL5275 My sim is a scientist, level 7 or 8 :)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I'm pretty sure there is a mod to change the maternity leave, or even not have maternity leave at all, but I never have used it so I don't know the mod. It could even be an Nraas mod, @igazor might now since he is the mod God. :)

But, yes, the maternity leave is pretty dang long when you add in your sims regular days off, too. And the days off for getting married can turn into a long time, too.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    @Chellojo thankyou so much! My sims have gotten married and the woman has three days off and the man has four! It's good for skill building and I won't mind when she's on the top of her career, because she will be getting paid when she's off work, but it's still annoying.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited September 2016
    The "days off" for maternity leave is actual work days. So if you have a sim at level 10 of the military career who only works 1 day a week, it can be a very long time before they have to go back to work. I usually adjust the days off with MasterController after the game (or NRaas SP) gives them to the sim.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    It gets especially silly if your sim has one of those careers where at the high levels they only work one or two days per week. Seems like they'll never have to go back with all that paid time off (as stated, the non-workdays don't count since they don't get paid for those). How many paid days off are actually granted by EA standard I believe depend upon the career and, oddly enough, the sims' traits.

NRaas StoryProgression will allow you to adjust parental leave, if you are using it. Its settings do confuse players (including me, the "mod god" -- ha!). :p

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Pregnancy > Pregnancy: Maternity Leave > T/F
    (this determines whether to have SP grant additional maternity leave above and beyond what the game already grants)
    (SP Population add-on module required)

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Pregnancy > Maximum Maternity Leave > (default = 5)
    (this determines the maximum amount that SP can add above and beyond what the game already grants)

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Pregnancy > Paternity Leave > T/F
    (whether to apply the EA standard maternity leave formula +/- SP alterations to it to the other parent)

NRaas > SP > Town (Caste, Household, Sim) Options > Pregnancy: Maternity Leave > (default = 1)
    (this determines how many maternity leave days to grant or take away from EA standard, use a negative number to subtract, a 0 here will leave EA standard's amount unchanged; use City Hall or an in-game computer for Town and Castes, sims themselves for Household or individual Sim)

And finally, you can use MasterController to take already accumulated paid days off away from any sim, no matter why they have accumulated them.
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Days Off
    (enter a positive number to add more paid days off, a negative number to take some away)
    (MC Cheats add-on module required)

And you can use MC to see how many paid days off they do currently have accumulated.
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Status > Career.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor Thankyou so much! I will definitely be using this! I want my sim to have a baby while she is on her honeymoon with her husband in egypt, but they already have three or four days off from the fact they got married. Now, I don't need to, I'll just use this! Thanks! :)

You saved my sim from going stir crazy with crying babies in her house :D
  • Options
    SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited September 2016
    Heh, I've noticed this as well. But thanks @treynutz I actually never kenw that
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Summerjase - Erm, length of pregnancy is still 3 sim days from time of conception unless you use mods to change that separately. It's not dependent on length of maternity leave. Unless that's not what you meant... :)

(disregard, the post I was responding to here seems to have changed into something else...)
    :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Sims have the best problems. I swear, I would love to have too many paid days off of work :tongue:
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    Sims have the best problems. I swear, I would love to have too many paid days off of work :tongue:

While that does sound relaxing, some sims (and people too, or so I hear anyway) actually like to work. And some want raises, promotions especially if those are related to their LTWs, etc. and thus get better pensions when they retire. It's pretty difficult to advance up the career ladder when you never actually have to go to work. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Goulsquash wrote: »

While that does sound relaxing, some sims (and people too, or so I hear anyway) actually like to work. And some want raises, promotions especially if those are related to their LTWs, etc. and thus get better pensions when they retire. It's pretty difficult to advance up the career ladder when you never actually have to go to work. :)

True enough, maybe I'm just in desperate need of a weekend XD
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    WestGhostWestGhost Posts: 138 Member
    Just interjecting here, but I still find it odd that maternity leave and honeymoons are mandatory. In TS2 wasn't it basically optional?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @igazor Thankyou so much! I will definitely be using this! I want my sim to have a baby while she is on her honeymoon with her husband in egypt, but they already have three or four days off from the fact they got married. Now, I don't need to, I'll just use this! Thanks! :)

You saved my sim from going stir crazy with crying babies in her house :D

Double check with @igazor but if you have a baby in Egypt you might not be able to travel back with the baby. It may mess up your game unless you age them to child before coming back. I had a child in the future, aged them up to child, cam home and my game was messed up. I had to move and start a new town
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I was totally not reading that correctly and assumed the OP meant they were going to conceive a baby in Egypt, not have it there as she really said (but duh, she is already pregnant, right?). The NRaas Traveler mod can unlock travel with infants.
    NRaas > Traveler > Allowable Travelers > Toddlers (it should say Toddlers and Babies, this is a mistake that needs to be corrected but the one setting is meant to cover both)

Of course it needs to be set to allow pregnant travelers from the homeworld started out from as well if the sim is really already pregnant or this isn't going to be much of a honeymoon.

Usually this gets run on City Hall, but in Egypt try the map tag of the Base Camp as that should serve as a City Hall substitute. Babies born in Oasis Landing I'm not as sure about, there might well be an issue there. But a baby born in Egypt cannot age to child as there is no aging possible while in vacation worlds, only in Oasis. Unless you force-feed them birthday cakes (how's that for a powerful image bordering on child abuse) or use a mod to trigger the age-ups, I suppose.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    I had a sim who never reached the highest level in her career because of this, because she had six children and I moved on with her eldest. It's really silly how they handled it and it's even sillier you don't even get to choose how you want it (her husband didn't have a job so he was home all day long fcol). Sometimes I wonder whether they created this game in 1950.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    WestGhost wrote: »
    Just interjecting here, but I still find it odd that maternity leave and honeymoons are mandatory. In TS2 wasn't it basically optional?
    Honeymoons are mandatory..?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    The thing I don't understand about the compulsory time off work for getting married is, if they go on honeymoon to a WA destination, it doesn't even count in normal time anyway. So they go away, come back and still have 3 days of unproductive boredom before going back to work. When you really want them to go to work and make enough money to move out of their rubbish starter into a house big enough to have kids in. I am so glad there are NRAAS mods to fix it.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

The game automatically gives you time off from work after your sim gets married. You can do whatever you want with that time off
  • Options
    I had a sim who never reached the highest level in her career because of this, because she had six children and I moved on with her eldest. It's really silly how they handled it and it's even sillier you don't even get to choose how you want it (her husband didn't have a job so he was home all day long fcol). Sometimes I wonder whether they created this game in 1950.

No, I don't think it would run very well on today's operating systems if they had. But in many cases they use 1950 "sensibilities" if that's the correct use of the word (sorry, I wasn't around back then) to add to the challenges that the game presents. Much like the entire and often hated reputation system. Some of what's imposed is insulting by today's standards of course, but it's still an interesting challenge to get sims to balance career and home life appropriately. For many of us it becomes more interesting when we can use the mods to cut through the mathematical nonsense of things like maternity leave calculations for the parents of that many children, especially when there is someone else totally capable and suitable around to help take care of them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I did mean to conceive a child in Egypt and not have it. :)
    Luckily my woman sim is back to her work, but when she is level ten I'll have her have a baby :)
  • Options

The game automatically gives you time off from work after your sim gets married. You can do whatever you want with that time off
    Thanks :) I always forget to have them get married, I guess that's why I didn't remember. They propose, they get children, they get old and by then I've totally forgotten they aren't even married.

No, I don't think it would run very well on today's operating systems if they had. But in many cases they use 1950 "sensibilities" if that's the correct use of the word (sorry, I wasn't around back then) to add to the challenges that the game presents. Much like the entire and often hated reputation system. Some of what's imposed is insulting by today's standards of course, but it's still an interesting challenge to get sims to balance career and home life appropriately. For many of us it becomes more interesting when we can use the mods to cut through the mathematical nonsense of things like maternity leave calculations for the parents of that many children, especially when there is someone else totally capable and suitable around to help take care of them.
    I don't really see this as a challenge to be honest (and in Sims 4 they actually changed it for the better ;)).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I was totally not reading that correctly and assumed the OP meant they were going to conceive a baby in Egypt, not have it there as she really said (but duh, she is already pregnant, right?). The NRaas Traveler mod can unlock travel with infants.
    NRaas > Traveler > Allowable Travelers > Toddlers (it should say Toddlers and Babies, this is a mistake that needs to be corrected but the one setting is meant to cover both)

Of course it needs to be set to allow pregnant travelers from the homeworld started out from as well if the sim is really already pregnant or this isn't going to be much of a honeymoon.

Usually this gets run on City Hall, but in Egypt try the map tag of the Base Camp as that should serve as a City Hall substitute. Babies born in Oasis Landing I'm not as sure about, there might well be an issue there. But a baby born in Egypt cannot age to child as there is no aging possible while in vacation worlds, only in Oasis. Unless you force-feed them birthday cakes (how's that for a powerful image bordering on child abuse) or use a mod to trigger the age-ups, I suppose.

I had a pair of Sims live in Oasis Landing for a few sim weeks. While there they advanced to level 10 of the science career and got married and had a baby.

This is when I discovered babies can't travel.

Fortunately I had Traveler mod and a small amount of research revealed I just needed to change a setting on the computer. The all got home safely. I stopped playing that family for a while as I've got lots of households in many worlds in that game. I didn't notice any issues with the baby though. It did age up to toddler before I moved on from them. The only thing I had a problem with was the Group Science Project reward one of them got in Oasis Landing. It was in their family inventory but i never was able to place it in their home. It was seriously bugged