Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the best computer for Sims 4 and other gaming?

RoyalTeacupRoyalTeacup Posts: 114 Member
edited July 2023 in Off Topic Chat
Hello all! Recently I have had to uninstall origin and Sims 4 from my laptop because Origin's super lovely update rendered my laptop obsolete in terms of playing the Sims 4 (and gaming in general). Any who, so I've decided to save up for a desktop computer (thanks to advice from rosemow, phoebebebe13 and DarkAmaranth1966).

So I'm thinking of these computers and I'd like to know what you guys think of them;

iBUYPOWER - Desktop - AMD FX-Series - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Black/Red
(With a 2TB hard drive and 16GB memory, this computer has everything you need for media storage and multitasking gameplay. The high-quality dedicated graphics offer realistic in-game images with minimal lag.)

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD FX-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black/Blue
(Take down your challengers and collaborate with allies using this desktop, which features vivid AMD Radeon graphics and 8GB system memory to run graphics-intensive games and programs. Plug in accessories using the USB ports, or connect to an HDTV or high-definition monitor using the HDMI output.)

HP - ENVY Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Brushed Metal
( This desktop features 12GB of high-bandwidth memory for smooth multitasking, plus Bang & Olufsen audio for pristine sound when gaming and watching movies. The HDMI output allows you to connect an HDTV or up to 3 monitors, so you can immerse yourself in high-definition graphics.)

HP - Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP finish in twinkle black
(Enjoy live streaming updates from your favorite websites on this Hewlett Packard desktop. Preloaded with the Windows 10 operating system, this computer also lets you create custom audio, video and data files and write them to a DVD. Connect to the web and transfer files using wireless LAN and Bluetooth connectivity on this Hewlett Packard desktop.)

So which one is better? :D

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    SuucherriesSuucherries Posts: 118 Member
    I would like to know as well. Hey OP can you include the prices for these please?
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    What is the desktops you are looking at graphics cards?

Would it be possible to link them?

What is your preferred budget?
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2016
    @RoyalTeacup If buying a desktop I would not go with HP. You need to make sure you buy a case that has enough cooling and room for upgrades . In general ibuypower and cyberpower make better desktops for gaming and usually have cases that have better cooling and room for upgrades. I would need to see links to the PC's your looking at. What is your budget ? What country?

PS what other games are you playing besides the sims? I would need to look up requirements for those games
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    No on any HP even if the specs are right. Keep in mind that sales and computers change all the time. If you aren't buying right now, whatever is linked to you now may not be available months from now. Also if you have a decent budget, custom is always better than pre built.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Really need the full specs to see which is best. Exactly what graphics card, cooling systems, etc....
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    DaniellexoDaniellexo Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi just wondering if you can help I am looking to buy and new desktop these are the specs below will this run the Sims 4 ? Thanks

- Intel® Core™ i5-6400T Processor
    - Quad-core
    - 2.2 GHz / 2.8 GHz with TurboBoost
    - 6 MB cache
    Memory (RAM) 8 GB DDR3 (16 GB maximum installable RAM)
    Graphics card AMD Radeon R7-A360 (4 GB DDR3)
    Storage 2 TB HDD
    Motherboard Intel H110
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    @Daniellexo That one isn't too bad, it would do a fair job of running the game. I would prefer a 3.0 Ghz or faster CPU but, that one will work.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Daniellexo That one isn't too bad, it would do a fair job of running the game. I would prefer a 3.0 Ghz or faster CPU but, that one will work.

The have been posting all over the boards spamming and even spamming my wall. They are posting all in one computers . I answered them here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/901010/getting-new-computer#latest
  • Options
    DaniellexoDaniellexo Posts: 6 New Member

The have been posting all over the boards spamming and even spamming my wall. They are posting all in one computers . I answered them here

I am not spamming anything just asking for help I posted this on 2 different pages (2 is not all over the boards) for different opinions before you even answered any of them
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Daniellexo
    Your spamming if you ask the same question in more than one thread and also on my wall. I was already answering you in a thread when you posted on my wall. Then you posted again in another thread. People who help in tech volunteer our personal time to help people. We don't get paid to help people and don't work for EA. Sticking to one thread will be a lot easier for people to help you rather than making me post everywhere. Thank you
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Hey @DarkAmaranth1966. How do these specs look for the sims 4?
    iBUYPOWER - Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 120GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Black/Red

Product Features
    Intel 6th Generation Core i7
    Windows 10 operating system
    Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700 processor
    Powerful quad-core processing performance.

16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
    Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive and 120GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
    The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics
    Driven by 3GB dedicated video memory to quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.

4 USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
    Also includes 4 USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

Wired network connectivity
    Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN port plugs into wired networks.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Show less Features
    Specifications
    Key SpecsExpand All
    Hard Drive Capacity 1120 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type
    SATA + Solid State Drive
    Operating System
    Windows 10
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Speed
    3.4 gigahertz
    Processor Model
    System Memory (RAM)
    16 gigabytes

Im getting a desktop in february and wanted to know how well this one will do? Only problem I have with it is it doesnt come with a disc drive. However theres pne thats 30 dollars more that does have one ( i dont want to have to buy and external one)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    To add I do plan on getting other pc games as well as running the sims 2, 3 and 4
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited November 2016
    Hey @DarkAmaranth1966. How do these specs look for the sims 4?
    iBUYPOWER - Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 120GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Black/Red

Product Features
    Windows 10 operating system
    Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700 processor
    Powerful quad-core processing performance.

16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
    Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive and 120GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
    The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics
    Driven by 3GB dedicated video memory to quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.

4 USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
    Also includes 4 USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

Wired network connectivity
    Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN port plugs into wired networks.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Show less Features
    Specifications
    Key SpecsExpand All
    Hard Drive Capacity 1120 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type
    SATA + Solid State Drive
    Operating System
    Windows 10
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Speed
    3.4 gigahertz
    Processor Model
    System Memory (RAM)
    16 gigabytes

Im getting a desktop in february and wanted to know how well this one will do? Only problem I have with it is it doesnt come with a disc drive. However theres pne thats 30 dollars more that does have one ( i dont want to have to buy and external one)

I can make you a custom cyberpower pc configuration if you like.. what's your budget?
    Edit.. if your not buying till February then the link i will provide will expire. Your more then welcome to PM me around the time your going to buy and i can customize the pc to your liking. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    To add I do plan on getting other pc games as well as running the sims 2, 3 and 4

If your buying in February the computers your looking at now may not be available then. It's best to ask for computer help when your ready to buy.
  • Options
    RetrovanianRetrovanian Posts: 580 Member
    My top of the range machine will not run the Sims 4 without severe Lighting glitches. I feel I have wasted my money getting a good machine. Spec Below

COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, RGB Lighting
    Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
    Graphics Card 8GB EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FTW GAMING - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GTX VR Ready!
    1st Hard Disk 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
    2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
    Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
    Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
    Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
    Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
    Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
    Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
    Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
    DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
    Kind regards James.
  • Options
    My top of the range machine will not run the Sims 4 without severe Lighting glitches. I feel I have wasted my money getting a good machine. Spec Below

COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, RGB Lighting
    Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
    Graphics Card 8GB EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FTW GAMING - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GTX VR Ready!
    1st Hard Disk 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
    2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
    Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
    Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
    Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
    Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
    Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
    Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
    Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
    DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
    Kind regards James.

I sent you a private message :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    RoyalTeacupRoyalTeacup Posts: 114 Member
    edited November 2016
    @Colton147147 @phoebebebe13 @DarkAmaranth1966

I'm super sorry I never responded to this thread! I was just super sad about not being able to play the sims anymore and basically throwing over $60 down the drain that I just tried to block out anything that reminded me of it. (I get at least 90% of my fun from this game, so that was a hard hit). Anyway now that Black Friday is on our heels, I'm thinking of getting a desktop and if you guys could help me, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm looking at these two computers mainly because money is a huge issue and I can't afford anything over $300.00. This laptop I'm using right now was a gift to put things in perspective.

So are these two computers any good?

http://www.sears.com/dell-optiplex-7010-sff-g870-3.1-ghz-8.0gb/p-SPM11019327032?plpSellerId=CDI Computer Dealers&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
    (Dell)

http://www.sears.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m91p-4518e4u-sff-i5-2400-3.1ghz/p-SPM11148168432?plpSellerId=CDI Computer Dealers&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
    (Lenovo)
  • Options

I'm super sorry I never responded to this thread! I was just super sad about not being able to play the sims anymore and basically throwing over $60 down the drain that I just tried to block out anything that reminded me of it. (I get at least 90% of my fun from this game, so that was a hard hit). Anyway now that Black Friday is on our heels, I'm thinking of getting a desktop and if you guys could help me, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm looking at these two computers mainly because money is a huge issue and I can't afford anything over $300.00. This laptop I'm using right now was a gift to put things in perspective.

http://www.sears.com/dell-optiplex-7010-sff-g870-3.1-ghz-8.0gb/p-SPM11019327032?plpSellerId=CDI Computer Dealers&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
    (Dell)

http://www.sears.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m91p-4518e4u-sff-i5-2400-3.1ghz/p-SPM11148168432?plpSellerId=CDI Computer Dealers&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
    (Lenovo)

Both of those are extreamly low end and will never be able to play the game even at lower settings. You are going to find it impossible to find anything under $500
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited November 2016

(Dell)

(Lenovo)

Unfortunately no these are not meant to run the game at all. You do need a gaming computer with certain computer specs which will run in the $700 price range and up. It can't be avoided. I would suggest saving your money until you can afford one. Sorry for the bad news
  • Options

(Dell)

(Lenovo)

Both of those are extreamly low end and will never be able to play the game even at lower settings. You are going to find it impossible to find anything under $500

at the moment with prices I would say $700. $500 and they will get AMD with a low end power supply which would be bad
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

(Dell)

(Lenovo)

I agree with both @chesterbigbird and @phoebebebe13; the desktops are low-end and you most likely won't be able to play the game. You would not find any computer capable of running the game without any issue at that price point.

This is as low as I would go ($629):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227691
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

(Dell)

(Lenovo)

at the moment with prices I would say $700. $500 and they will get AMD with a low end power supply which would be bad

$500 would run the game.. didn't say it would be good though LOL.
    Yeah you need a good budget preferably above $700 to run the game well without issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

(Dell)

(Lenovo)

$500 would run the game.. didn't say it would be good though LOL.
    Yeah you need a good budget preferably above $700 to run the game well without issues.

I was just saying you know how prices change and vary. $500 will get you that plum computer colton had posted that was all amd with a low power supply that would probably catch on fire :p
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Quick question, how's this?:

Asus R516UX 15-inch High Performance FHD Gaming Laptop,
    Intel Core i7-6500U up to 3.1GHz,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M,
    15.6" Full HD 1920x1080,
    8GB RAM,
    1TB HDD
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Marnetti wrote: »
    Quick question, how's this?:

Asus R516UX 15-inch High Performance FHD Gaming Laptop,
    Intel Core i7-6500U up to 3.1GHz,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M,
    15.6" Full HD 1920x1080,
    8GB RAM,
    1TB HDD

I would go for a 960m video card or better on laptop. GTX 950m are ddr3 vram and the 960 and up are ddr5 vram and better for gaming in higher resolutions like 1080p

That processor is also dual core. You don't want a "U" processor. On laptop you want an i7 HQ or MQ processor which is quad core. This game is processor heavy
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top