Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory on The Sims 4 Seasons

I apologize if this has been posted somewhere else, but I just had a thought.
I know a lot of people want Seasons to be an expansion pack for Sims 4 as it was with Sims 3 (myself included). However, I'm not sure if that's going to happen. First off, recently some people have been saying that Gurus have said that we should be expecting "new" ideas with packs. I'm not sure how valid that is though. It could be plausible that the stuff packs have replaced seasons in a sense. What I mean is that we got a free holiday pack with winter holiday themed clothing and items. We have a Spooky Stuff pack and now a Backyard Stuff pack which has a lovely summer vibe to it. I have a feeling that EA might feel that is enough variety of "seasons."

I could be totally wrong, and this is just speculation. Feel free to comment if you have ideas why my theory might be wrong or possibly correct.
Thanks (:

Comments

• Options
    sassy_simmer727sassy_simmer727 Posts: 87 Member
    Seasons would be nice but I like the sound of new things. I don't want EA to try to make Sims 4 the same as Sims 3, I want two different games. If they added everything that was in the Sims 3 into the Sims 4 there would be no point in having them. I love that they are making unique expansion packs and I hope they continue with this theme.
    Happy simming to all and to all a good night.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I'm sorry but this is silly and 100% unfounded. Plus, she didn't say expect only new ideas. She didn't say expect anything, but she did say why not be excited about new spins on old ideas - the good bits from old themes mixed with new stuff.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Seasons will not be Seasons without the snow.

Thrown in as many pumpkins and waterslides as possible but snow was one of the most anticipated effects with Seasons :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Josabell wrote: »
    I know a lot of people want Seasons to be an expansion pack for Sims 4 as it was with Sims 3 (myself included). However, I'm not sure if that's going to happen. First off, recently some people have been saying that Gurus have said that we should be expecting "new" ideas with packs. I'm not sure how valid that is though. It could be plausible that the stuff packs have replaced seasons in a sense. What I mean is that we got a free holiday pack with winter holiday themed clothing and items. We have a Spooky Stuff pack and now a Backyard Stuff pack which has a lovely summer vibe to it. I have a feeling that EA might feel that is enough variety of "seasons."

I could be totally wrong, and this is just speculation. Feel free to comment if you have ideas why my theory might be wrong or possibly correct.
    Thanks (:

You make sense. She did say that. Who knows.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I doubt it, just because seasons always got them a lot of money and that's what EA cares for. However, it is going to be a lot later, since seasons requires a lot and comes usually after around 3-4 years
    Events in Sims series has changed when Sims 4 came out so any time line after Sims 4 came out is now invalid.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I think the real reason we're not going to see stuff like Seasons or Generations (no toddlers) is that the game engine is extremely limited and they CAN'T do those without redoing the entire game. How would seasons work with the set backgrounds? They'd have to do a custom background for each world and each season. While this is possible, it seems like too much work for them to bother with. I also doubt pets will be released, ever. Pets would require new animations and ways to multitask. If they did Pets but not toddlers, that would create a firestorm of controversy on the forum and elsewhere. So they'd have to do toddlers if they are going to do pets, and they aren't going to do toddlers because of the difficulty of programming carryable toddlers while multitasking, which is why babies are restricted to the crib as objects in the first place. This indeed is a new type of Sims game, it is very very limited as to what can and can't be done.
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'd say that they'd be pretty stupid not to include Seasons given it was one of the most popular expansion packs for both TS2 and TS3.. but then, I look at toddlers. Or maybe the reaction they got from not including toddlers will make them think twice about not including some of the other core aspects of the same..

I guess we'll see. It's just so boring to have the same weather every day. I want snow, lightning, rain, thunder, hail and everything in between. Plus, having the Christmas stuff is completely pointless without an actual wintry season to go with it - or at least a special day dedicated to gift giving like Snowflake Day in TS3.
  • Options
    LarLynJLarLynJ Posts: 353 Member
    I really hope they add seasons. I'm tired of the 24/7 summer feeling.
    I need some rain and snow in my game.
    If they don't plan on making a Seasons type EP, I'm hoping they at least add another vacations GP primarily dealing with winter and winter activities.
  • Options
    aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think the real reason we're not going to see stuff like Seasons or Generations (no toddlers) is that the game engine is extremely limited and they CAN'T do those without redoing the entire game. How would seasons work with the set backgrounds? They'd have to do a custom background for each world and each season. While this is possible, it seems like too much work for them to bother with. I also doubt pets will be released, ever. Pets would require new animations and ways to multitask. If they did Pets but not toddlers, that would create a firestorm of controversy on the forum and elsewhere. So they'd have to do toddlers if they are going to do pets, and they aren't going to do toddlers because of the difficulty of programming carryable toddlers while multitasking, which is why babies are restricted to the crib as objects in the first place. This indeed is a new type of Sims game, it is very very limited as to what can and can't be done.

Do you really believe someone creates a game whose sole purpose is adding to its foundation with expansions and so forth have a limited game-engine? How interesting.

• Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    You bring up good points. Hopefully it's far from true!
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    No idea but everytime I see those permanent puddles in Willow Creek my mind starts thinking "what if that's all?". For all you know the data they collected from ts3 shows that people mostly don't bother with seasons and/or removed it completely because of the lag. You'd think in a life simulator weather effects are mandatory but many times I've seen people speaking about it more like it's a nuisance or they like the ever lasting summer feel. I don't know, I just want my sim to cuddle with her cat on a rainy day...
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Josabell wrote: »

Thanks (:

Seasons is not there when the surrounding environment is not changing. They can think whatever they want, when players say there is no season yet then there is no season.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GardeningGardening Posts: 207 Member
    The modders ate making more inprovenent tgen the game developers atleast modders make the unstable sims 4 game stable we haven't got seasons yet we have a snow mod abd tgey have new skys for in gane worlds.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2016
    aclavo wrote: »

Do you really believe someone creates a game whose sole purpose is adding to its foundation with expansions and so forth have a limited game-engine? How interesting.
    The engine in question was previously made for another project that was cancelled. Instead of building an engine from ground up for Sims 4 they used that engine so therefore to play it safe they have to work around that engines capabilities so the engine is limited in what it can do and Imho the reason for so many SPs and not enough EPs and the creation of GPs. If this engine was strong enough I believe most features would be assessable regardless of time line, another issue it was made for low end machines so they can enjoy the game and anything above that there is really no perks and again that is speculation.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    aclavo wrote: »

Yes, because the Sims 4 was originally made as an online multiplayer game called Olympus. It took EA several years to figure out that no one wanted this type of Sims game and so they decided to convert it to a single player game, the Sims 4. That's why there is no CASt, no world editor, fixed backgrounds and a limited number of lots in a neighborhood. So yes, the foundation of Sims 4 was originally supposed to support a mobile home, but now it is trying to support an actual house, which is why it's absolutely inadequate for that task and the developers have to come up with relationship culling and culling in order to keep the game afloat. You want more proof? Just go look at the minimum requirements and you'll see how low EA/Maxis is aiming for.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Goldmoldar @azxcvbnm321
    The MMO engine argument doesn't make much sense considering MMO are precisely the type of games that are changed/expanded the most after their release. If they truly are using a MMO engine, you bet it's specifically designed to allow easy expansion because that's what MMO do.
    Or to reuse azxcvbnm321's analogy, you are basically saying the house can't be moved because it was supposed to be a mobile home.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I doubt we will get the typical Seasons EP, but I'm sure we will get one that has some sort of weather. Be it that Disasters EP on the survey or the one that included vacations (which is more likely to happen). And to be honest, that worries me. Seasons on their own always add a lot of content and changes the game drastically (not only because of the changing seasons, holidays, how temperature affects sims, but also all the fun activities on the snow, beaches, etc.) so I'm concerned they will try to shoehorn in too much new stuff and it will end up being an EP with a lot of lackluster features (much like GTW).
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited August 2016
    Perhaps the reason for the release of those items was because so they can focus on other things in a Seasons Expansion pack, The seasons themselves, add more game play and if you have Spooky Stuff, and Backyard, you can add these items; and they can bring new objects to the expansion pack and more activities (more stuff at festivals).

I'm going to need Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer in my Seasons Expansion (Just like Sims 3), with red/yellow/orange leaves, raking leaves, playing in the leaves, light rain falls, and festivals (but more stuff to do) to go to. Warmer colors, for clothes, etc. Same goes for Winter (playing in snow, building snowman, angels, forts for snowball fights, igloos, etc,) Spring (kissing booth, slow dances, picture booth, etc), and Summer (Heavier rain fall, storms, lightening, thunder, and more).

And what better way to bring new objects than in a Seasons expansion pack, instead of focusing on the slip n slide in Seasons, since we have it in backyard, they can focus on giving us Lounge chairs, actual slides for swimming pools; and maybe even some of those fountain(the water fall one) thingies like we got in Sims 3....

I love that we're getting gameplay in our Stuff Packs now and getting game packs, because it helps them focus on the bigger stuff for Expansion packs. We'll just have to wait and see.

Though, I'll admit, this wait is killin' me.
  • Options
    @OneAdorkableGirl
    There're probably far enough things they could add in a Seasons EP that releasing some of them in SPs won't cause a shortage later on ;)
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited August 2016
    WHen we think of seasonal packs some may think of holidays, activities, a yearly "calendar" so to speak that allows us to experience all the various seasons and the world changes throughout those seasons on an automatic and timely basis (unless you choose to change it otherwise of course.) And that's fine, that's certainly part of what has come in seasons packs before.

For me though, I just really want weather. Even if it's not automatically generated by the game and affected by the normal passage of time in the game, if we can set snow and rain events on our own, for the entire world, that would be good enough for me. Maybe have a command code - set normal (sunny, default weather), set snow, set rain, set fog....and it stays that way until we go back and set it to something else. That way you could have snow/sun/rain for 1 day, or all your days. I would hope that Sims would get moodlets with the different weather of course. You could really mix it up - rain one day, snow the next, sun the next, snow the next, rain, rain snow, sun sun, rain...etc etc etc....

Do I want it all, of course, but in really thinking this over, I would be content with just differing weather options. Even if it meant not getting additional items beyond maybe an umbrella and some winter weather CAS items (which that shouldn't be too difficult to do.)

I just wanted to add, I don't understand why it's so hard to add just the most basic weather in the base game when all kinds of games with all kinds of graphics ranging from Skyrim to Stardew Valley have it in their base game.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    @jcp011c2
    I'm mix of both, I like the weather and the changing of weather accross the year which this calendar feel, but I'm not really interested in holidays and festivals. I think there are not culturaly universal enough for my taste, so I prefer holidays and festivals to be in SPs, that way we can choose which one we want, rather than have all of them be included into a single package.