Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hey everyone, I have an issue with the relationship panel in the game, and I couldn't find a thread for that, also, I can't open my own, so I came here :)

I chose an existing household when I reinstalled the game recently, it was a couple with 2 puppies. I changed the active household, and when I came back, the puppies were gone. In the relationship panel, they are highlighted grey, like people from abroad, and there are no photos, just blank squares.

Did anyone else ever have this issue? Why are the puppies gone in the first place, and is there a chance to get them back? :(

Thank you all in advance!
    Hi there. I'm afraid it either means that the puppies were not being taken care of properly in your absence and were collected by Pet Adoption Social Worker, they ran away from home (puppies shouldn't be able to do this though), or the game decided as it often does incorrectly that there are too many sims in this world and emigrated them out for you to a place that is unreachable. That last one tends to happen more with human sims, but there isn't any reason it can't happen with animals. We've also seen it happen with babies and toddlers.

Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console. Type Resetsim (first name) (last name) and (enter). So if one of the puppies was named Spot Smith, then Resetsim Spot Smith (enter). If that doesn't bring them back, I'm afraid the game has just decided for either reason above that these dogs are no longer to be in your household or part of your game. If so, what remains on the Relationship Panel is just a small amount of data for display, not anything that can be used to regenerate a sim.

I suppose it's also possible that the puppies had died, but I think you would know this because presumably your sims would still be upset about it and there should I think be a grave to hold their remains. Usually the game itself protects babies (including baby animals) from harm like that.

The only way to get them back might be to revert to a save from before you switched households, if you have such a save available, and replay but do things differently. Without mods to protect played households and prevent these sorts of things from happening, TS3 in not really conducive to switching actives and playing different households in turns as all kind of unexpected things can/will happen before you get back including the entire household possibly not being there anymore.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    cainedbadcainedbad Posts: 29 Member
    I download Sims 3 through origin on my new computer. When i try to start it the launcher says it encountered a problem and then closes up
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    cainedbad wrote: »
    I download Sims 3 through origin on my new computer. When i try to start it the launcher says it encountered a problem and then closes up
    Things to try, in order:

1 - If the game has already formed a TS3 user game folder in Documents (it might not have yet if you've never gotten it launched), try pulling it out to your Desktop or deleting it. A new one should spawn on the next attempted launch, if the program is getting that far.

2 - Run a Repair Game on TS3 from within Origin.

3 - Run the game from an account that has Admin privileges, if you aren't doing so already.

4 - Uninstall Origin (only) and reinstall it to see if that helps. Your game install should stay intact.

5 - Uninstall the game, including from the Programs & Features control panel. Uninstall Origin. Clean the Windows Registry with the free version of Piriform's CCleaner. Install Origin and then the game again.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If none of this helps, we will need to know the specs of this new computer -- processor, RAM, graphics card, size of hard drive.

All of the above assumes you are running Windows. If your new computer is a Mac, please say so as we need to have a different conversation.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > cainedbad wrote: »
    >
    > I download Sims 3 through origin on my new computer. When i try to start it the launcher says it encountered a problem and then closes up
    >
    >
    >
    > Things to try, in order:
    >
    > 1 - If the game has already formed a TS3 user game folder in Documents (it might not have yet if you've never gotten it launched), try pulling it out to your Desktop or deleting it. A new one should spawn on the next attempted launch, if the program is getting that far.
    >
    > 2 - Run a Repair Game on TS3 from within Origin.
    >
    > 3 - Run the game from an account that has Admin privileges, if you aren't doing so already.
    >
    > 4 - Uninstall Origin (only) and reinstall it to see if that helps. Your game install should stay intact.
    >
    > 5 - Uninstall the game, including from the Programs & Features control panel. Uninstall Origin. Clean the Windows Registry with the free version of Piriform's CCleaner. Install Origin and then the game again.
    > https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    >
    > If none of this helps, we will need to know the specs of this new computer -- processor, RAM, graphics card, size of hard drive.
    >
    > All of the above assumes you are running Windows. If your new computer is a Mac, please say so as we need to have a different conversation.

Tried all of that and yes I have windows. nothing is working. Even checked to see if it need updating and still not working. Not sure where to find the specs of the computer on a laptop but it's brand new
  • Options
    Tried all of that and yes I have windows. nothing is working. Even checked to see if it need updating and still not working. Not sure where to find the specs of the computer on a laptop but it's brand new
    If you could share a dxdiag report with us by way of posting the results on pastebin.com, that should tell us all about your hardware and if there are any issues that might need addressing with it.

How to run the report: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    here's my computer specs https://pastebin.com/CuBBfjZT
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > cainedbad wrote: »
    >
    > Tried all of that and yes I have windows. nothing is working. Even checked to see if it need updating and still not working. Not sure where to find the specs of the computer on a laptop but it's brand new
    >
    >
    >
    > If you could share a dxdiag report with us by way of posting the results on pastebin.com, that should tell us all about your hardware and if there are any issues that might need addressing with it.
    >
    > How to run the report: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @cainedbad - Your graphics card is not the best for gaming, it's an AMD R7 that is sort of a hybrid between integrated and dedicated. Are you trying to install more than the base game at this point or are you working with EPs as well? The base game alone and the earlier released, less heavy EPs should be fine and not be crashing the game on startup like that.

Due to time constraints on my end at the moment, am going to have to invite others reading this to see if they have any further suggestions. In the meantime, you might also open up a support thread on the EA HQ Answers board to see what they suggest; they will need to see the same dxdiag report.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @cainedbad - Took a closer look when I had the time and I'm afraid your graphics card/chip really is integrated (AMD makes this so confusing sometimes). For those following along, it would rank around where an Nvidia 920MX would be. I'm afraid this computer really isn't meant for graphics intensive gaming, it's more for office and homework type tasks, web browsing, and email. The graphics chip just really isn't up to the task.

I still think you should be able to get at least the base game (no EPs) going on it, but at low graphics settings in Game Options and not on the highest of resolutions. How much fun it would be able to play that way would be up to you, of course. But again, let's see if anyone here has anything else to add.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

• Options

@igazor I have never seen an A12 APU with R7 graphics. Yes it would be integrated and not designed to run this game. The R7 dedicated graphics cards are for desktop as far as I know. Overall you know more about AMD than I do since I play on Nvidia
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Thanks. Yes I have AMD for graphics, but not in the A series APU nor the R series graphics so this particular combo with the A12 (must be relatively new) threw me for a loop yesterday. My processor is a quad core Intel i5, not this kind of combination, and it's not on a laptop. It wasn't until I had more time to look up the specs and expected performance of what the combo provides that I realized what we were looking at.

My initial confusion aside, the point is that even if we can get the player to get past the crashing on startup with base game only, as we're still not sure if there are any EPs in play, it's not going to be a very good or stable TS3 experience. Would be interesting to hear if other players have gotten the game to work on an A12/R7 and how the game works for them but I expect many of them are going to face the same obstacles in even getting things started. This seems to be a new and higher mid-range laptop for other purposes but again from what I can now see falls short of really being suitable for graphics intensive games like TS3 or probably even TS4.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @igazor I believe the A12 is new. I thought the A series only went up to 10

That HP laptop I bought for general use and returned was an A8 with r5 graphics was so slow to even get on the web I suspect the A12 with r7 is only slightly better for general use. if it has a slow hard drive like mine did it may run plum just doing everyday tasks.

I just checked this laptop a12 r7 it has a slow 5400 hard drive too

@cainedbad since this computer is new can you return it? If your trying to run this whole game you need a gaming laptop with a dedicated card separate from it's processor. if playing on laptop you need Nvidia/intel. AMD does not make higher end gaming laptops at the moment. All of them are for general use Laptops to run this game run around $800 and up

You need something like this or better. Newegg charges no tax outside CA, TN and NJ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316155&cm_re=1050_laptop_gtx_nitro-_-34-316-155-_-Product

The acer above has better specs than this dell but both will run the game https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834861167&cm_re=1050_laptop_gtx-_-34-861-167-_-Product
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited September 2017
    @igazor just wanted to add something to your reply to @inconsolabile since i know you use mods and the op did not specify whether or not s/he does too.

i play mod-free and there's a 'neighbourhood pet adoption' household that is randomly assigned and can change at any time. All households in the town not being controlled by the player are fair game, including player-created families.

if op has the pets ep and switched households in an existing save, it's entirely possible that the household s/he selected was the one designated 'neighbourhood pet adoption'; if that's the case, and op switched households, the game likely removed that designation and assigned another household as 'neighbourhood pet adoption', thus removing the pets from op's previous household if s/he was not actively playing that family at the time.

the only pets that are safe from this (in a mod-free game) are those that the player specifically created or adopted.

i'm not sure if or not you can get the pets back, but you can try the 'adopt a pet from shelter' interaction on the newspaper or computer.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    JazzyJuliebeanJazzyJuliebean Posts: 12 New Member
    Hi again!

I'm having another issue, this time with books. In Oasis Landing the book store and library are completely empty, and I'm not OK with it. In the past all the books available in the past/present/whatever it's called have been available in the future, but not now. I've updated and replaced all relevant mods to no avail, as well as tried with no CC running. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Clean out your cache files in your Documents folder. Something I always recommend doing with issues like these.
  • Options
    KariLeeKariLee Posts: 2 New Member
    hey so my sims in the sims 3 wont get pregnant for some odd reason. I have them "try for baby" multiple times and I hear the chime which says that the sim is pregnant but then days go by and she still is at work and she hasn't had any symptoms. I did the thing where if you have testingcheatsenabled and shift click on a sim, if it still has "edit in create a sim" they aren't pregnant, and thats what happens whenever I click on a supposedly "pregnant" sim. I do have the mod master controller.
  • Options
    KariLee wrote: »
    hey so my sims in the sims 3 wont get pregnant for some odd reason. I have them "try for baby" multiple times and I hear the chime which says that the sim is pregnant but then days go by and she still is at work and she hasn't had any symptoms. I did the thing where if you have testingcheatsenabled and shift click on a sim, if it still has "edit in create a sim" they aren't pregnant, and thats what happens whenever I click on a supposedly "pregnant" sim. I do have the mod master controller.
    Hi there. MasterController can't really be getting in the way of a pregnancy but there are other mod and in-game situations that can cause this to happen. Are you using NRaas StoryProgression by any chance, or any other mods that might affect baby making, pregnancies, and births? There are some situations where NRaas SP will allow TryForBaby, but if the sim in question is not allowed to be pregnant by way of its Sim or Caste settings, then the pregnancy will quietly terminate on its own.

In-game situations would be more like the household is already full at 8 (human) sims or 10 sims total including pets, or the sim in question is too close to aging up no matter which age stage to be pregnant. Or the sim is an Elder. Usually though these kinds of restrictions prevent the TryForBaby in the first place. If you are playing in a world that is foreign to your sim rather than their homeworld, such as on a vacation, pregnancies can form but they will not progress (sounds like not the case if your sim is going to work, though).

But first, let's go back a step. MasterController's version of CAS allows the editing of pregnant sims. If you are using an MC command to get into CAS, or if you have the MC Integration add-on, then this restriction doesn't apply. Are you certain the sim isn't really pregnant?

NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Status > Relationship

The third paragraph would display pregnancy information and who the other parent is if the sim is actually pregnant.

You might also try MC > (Sim) > Basic > Pollinate on the sim (and specify the other parent when asked) to see if you can get a pregnancy going that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @Jean said:
    > Clean out your cache files in your Documents folder. Something I always recommend doing with issues like these.

Done that multiple times. :( Because of this problem my Sim can't learn the Laser Rhythm-a-Con songs only available from the bookstore.
  • Options
    I can't edit my post, otherwise I would. The book problem was solved by updating the Complete Skill Book mod I had installed. :)
  • Options
    AronTavaresAronTavares Posts: 5 New Member
    So, today I was just playing until I decided to start fresh and move in a new household. But then, when I clicked "Next" on the game setup, it grayed out and became unclickable, even tho everything else was just fine. Because of this, my Sims can't even go to uni! Please help! :'(
  • Options
    > @AronTavares said:
    > So, today I was just playing until I decided to start fresh and move in a new household. But then, when I clicked "Next" on the game setup, it grayed out and became unclickable, even tho everything else was just fine. Because of this, my Sims can't even go to uni! Please help! :'(

NOTE: I have a lot of mods and none of them caused me to have problems before, so it definetly isn't corrupt CC/mods.
  • Options
    So, today I was just playing until I decided to start fresh and move in a new household. But then, when I clicked "Next" on the game setup, it grayed out and became unclickable, even tho everything else was just fine. Because of this, my Sims can't even go to uni! Please help! :'(
    Hi there. There are a lot of things that can cause this. There could be something slightly wrong with the house/household you are trying to move in. Or the issue could be, previously undetected until now, with the world you are moving them into. This is in an ongoing game? Do you get better results if, as a test, you attempt to move a different household into a different world on a newly spawned game? Or the same household on a newly spawned game?

Or your system or the game engine just at that point could be overloaded. Without (yet) asking for system specs, have you tried quitting out, deleting the five cache files that appear on the top level of your TS3 user game folder in Documents, then rebooting the computer and trying again?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    wrong thread removed message
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > AronTavares wrote: »
    >
    > So, today I was just playing until I decided to start fresh and move in a new household. But then, when I clicked "Next" on the game setup, it grayed out and became unclickable, even tho everything else was just fine. Because of this, my Sims can't even go to uni! Please help! :'(
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi there. There are a lot of things that can cause this. There could be something slightly wrong with the house/household you are trying to move in. Or the issue could be, previously undetected until now, with the world you are moving them into. This is in an ongoing game? Do you get better results if, as a test, you attempt to move a different household into a different world on a newly spawned game? Or the same household on a newly spawned game?
    >
    > Or your system or the game engine just at that point could be overloaded. Without (yet) asking for system specs, have you tried quitting out, deleting the five cache files that appear on the top level of your TS3 user game folder in Documents, then rebooting the computer and trying again?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Well, I have tried deleting the .tmp files, but I'll try the scripts.
    Cheers, mate.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top