Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sometimes I Can't Stand This Game

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But... when you are building for 4 hours without ever saving..., you can't completely blame the game can you?

Have to agree with you on this. When building save often. Not only that I always save and then leave the game so I can backup, before I move in a family.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @igazor Your post..TY always forget who it was that has a ready fix version of IP.Will remember it this time <3 Know about it but never know the simmers name or quickly able to link.Tattooing it on my forhead now.

Saving your link actually.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    @JoAnne65 lol! I have him and the rest of the family safe in my library. I used Porter to pack up everyone that mattered and will unpack later when I'm in the mood to try out that legacy again.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    MMitchell93MMitchell93 Posts: 108 Member
    When I lost my first multi-generational family to a corrupt save (before mods and cc), I was super upset. My fifth generation was about to be born and I had gotten very attached to them. So I feel your pain.
  • Options
    MMitchell93MMitchell93 Posts: 108 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

Yes, TS2 taught me to back up my favorite neighborhoods and TS3 has kept me in the habit. I hear TS4 is the same... it's a game thing; if you love it back it up. :(

May be a stupid question, but how do you back up your game? And can you have a back up save with all of your mods, cc, and store content? It's a pain to have to find everything again and download it.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member

Yes, TS2 taught me to back up my favorite neighborhoods and TS3 has kept me in the habit. I hear TS4 is the same... it's a game thing; if you love it back it up. :(

May be a plum question, but how do you back up your game? And can you have a back up save with all of your mods, cc, and store content? It's a pain to have to find everything again and download it.

What I do for my games is create a folder on my hard drive called "Sims Back-ups". At least once a month I copy/paste the entire games folder from Sims 3 into a sub-folder. That is: Sims Back-ups/The Sims 3. I label the folder with the date and year that I copied it over. I usually only keep about four back-ups and then on the 5th back-up, I delete the file in the oldest folder, copy the newest one in there and then re-label the folder.

@Kandy - In conjunction with saving often during gameplay, another thing I have found to be very useful: each time I change households, or if I'm building and before I start playing in that build or switching to another family, I do a Save As and then exit the game altogether. Then I do a complete re-start of my computer (only takes 7 seconds for mine) and re-load the game.

I realize it takes more time to do this (I do sudoku puzzles while my game is loading) but it works. I think it has to do with how Sims 3 hogs memory and then keeps asking for more even though it can't use it. The only time (and I mean ONLY) that I have ever gotten Error 12 or other game glitches is if I forget myself and either play too long without saving or rotate through too many households without doing a restart.

I really believe it has saved me a lot of grief because I honestly don't experience the glitches many others talk about - unless I don't follow my own advice. hahaha
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017

May be a plum question, but how do you back up your game? And can you have a back up save with all of your mods, cc, and store content? It's a pain to have to find everything again and download it.
    You can back up your game by copying the save (in the Saves folder) and paste it in - for instance - Documents. And on an external memory system. You can do the same thing with your Mods folder and Downloads folder (the latter contains your Store content). When, for some reason, you have to reinstall the game (for instance when you buy a new computer), you start it, the folders are created, you close the game and then you replace the folders by the ones you saved.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But... when you are building for 4 hours without ever saving..., you can't completely blame the game can you?

Have to agree with you on this. When building save often. Not only that I always save and then leave the game so I can backup, before I move in a family.
    I "save as" every 15-30 minutes no matter what. Strong habit of mine with any game I play now. Honestly I'm lazy and only backup my saves once every generation if I even remember to. I should get into the habit of relaunching the game every 2-3 hours just to prevent any chance of max ram crash.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    Remembering to save when building definitely is a 'thing' by the way. I don't care much for autosaving, saving while playing has become a habit (every sim night, it has become an automatism for me) but while building it would have been great to at least get a notification, a warning every now and then. Because you simply tend to forget. I try to remember saving after every room I finished decorating. Not only the game, I also save the house to the bin while building (and delete all the versions but the last when I'm done). Of course I learned to do this the hard way ;)

Edit: I also notice decorating becomes slower and slower after some time, taking ages to drag a pattern or colour to a surface. Leaving build mode and then go right back in again always helps.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    @JoAnne65 Nraas Saver works in build mode too, if you use mods. Although for me, it's more like a reminder that I've played long enough and should quit now. ;)
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have plenty of space, so I back up the whole The Sims 3 folder on another hard drive in my PC and on an external hard drive that I keep unplugged. Then I can be sure that I have all my saves, mods, CC, Sims, Store Content, saved styles, worlds and settings safe. :)

A ransomware virus could encrypt your Sims files and make them unusable, so it's important to back them up on an external drive or USB stick. Remember to unplug the external drive/USB after backing up, or the ransomware would get to those files too! :/

I was attacked by ransomware a couple of years ago, but luckily I learned that it would encrypt my files the next time I started my computer, so I had the chance to remove the virus. I had to use different anti-malware programs and it took me hours.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I keep copies of the sims folder on a separate hard drive. You definitely have to backup your files before you lose your computer. You will thank me for saving your files.
  • Options
    CanthelpbutusecheatsCanthelpbutusecheats Posts: 6 New Member
    I load all my save files to google drive. If space runs out I make a new gmail account and keep.savin ;)
  • Options
    itsmejoy7itsmejoy7 Posts: 17 New Member
    plz help I have nrass mod and my sims went to university and all the roommates were in my household so I went to edit town went return to game and it wont let I don't know if it has to do my mods or what thx
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    itsmejoy7 wrote: »
    plz help I have nrass mod and my sims went to university and all the roommates were in my household so I went to edit town went return to game and it wont let I don't know if it has to do my mods or what thx
    Hi there. Were the roommates really part of your household as in you could select and direct them to do things by mouse clicks or were they inactives just showing up on the portrait panels on the left side of your screen alongside your active, able to be controlled sim? The second one is the way this is supposed to work, you should be able to click to focus on roommates, but not actually control them.

If they really did become part of the active household, I would probably have used NRaas MasterController to Add Sim them to a different house or dorm then Add Roommate to bring them back in as proper roommates again.

Usually though, the best place to get help with NRaas mods is actually at NRaas.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
    (free Wikispaces account and then NRaas membership required to post)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net