Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Writers' Workshop

Comments

• Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Technical....in sec. 4 of the Reader's part you should have but instead of and after it feels great to hear.

Doing this on my phone...being lazy with punctuation. Sorry!!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Technical....in sec. 4 of the Reader's part you should have but instead of and after it feels great to hear.

I wrote "and" intentionally... because "both... and."

It does feel great to hear AND it doesn't tell us how to make our writing better. So go ahead and say it (because it IS awesome) and then offer constructive feedback to make it even awesomer.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

It does feel great to hear AND it doesn't tell us how to make our writing better. So go ahead and say it (because it IS awesome) and then offer constructive feedback to make it even awesomer.

awesomer thats not a word. lol. i i thought you were a teacher just kidding i like making up words.
  • Options
    Loooove it. I appreciate you putting it all together, ladies. I was thinking about July's concern, but I think for now open ended works. If things get hectic, we can add a schedule.

Will there be some sort of area in the beginning where there's a list of current works being workshopped? I feel like I'll lose track of where the original pieces are if the thread gets busy and there are conversations happening.
  • Options

Haha. Takes me back to my leadership classes days. My prof would always say, "Well, can't it be both/and?" And of course, it can be. Well done, CT :)
  • Options

Haha. Takes me back to my leadership classes days. My prof would always say, "Well, can't it be both/and?" And of course, it can be. Well done, CT :)

I got "both/and" from you, Rosey! Remember that comment you left on one of my posts ages ago?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Loooove it. I appreciate you putting it all together, ladies. I was thinking about July's concern, but I think for now open ended works. If things get hectic, we can add a schedule.

Will there be some sort of area in the beginning where there's a list of current works being workshopped? I feel like I'll lose track of where the original pieces are if the thread gets busy and there are conversations happening.

Yes! I forgot to leave a page for our schedule, but @Lizzie1234 , what do you think about having on our first post a list of the works that we're currently discussing?

And I'd like to suggest that for the first week, we look at a piece from each of us who's posted here so far, assuming that we want to participate!

• Options

I got "both/and" from you, Rosey! Remember that comment you left on one of my posts ages ago?

OMG! That was....that was like when we met! Or maybe a little after. But yeah, I'm a fan of both/and. I must have just lost track of it. Glad to have it back :)
  • Options

• Options

OMG! Yes....Annette. Oh....that brings me back.
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    Looks like this is kicking off to a fantastic start! Really excited about this, although I won't be frequenting the thread until I'm home from my holiday :p so glad this is going to work :D
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    Looks like this is kicking off to a fantastic start! Really excited about this, although I won't be frequenting the thread until I'm home from my holiday :p so glad this is going to work :D

Hiya, Lizzie! Hope you're having a great holiday!

I'd like to suggest that when you return, you and I each share a story or post for the workshop process. I think that we can do two simultaneously. And this way, we can "guinea pig" it to make sure that the process works and to see if we want to make any tweaks to it before others share their work.

In the meantime, we can all begin preparing the work that we'd like to share.

So we've got some idea of the scheduling, when will you be returning, and when shall we start discussing our stories?

Enjoy your holiday! :)

• Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member
    I wanted to ask if there will be different workshop sections. For example, there is a section specifically about the writing, but there could be another where more attention is brought to the visual part of the story.

I'd like to suggest that, at least for starters, we consider the work as a whole. For each work submitted, the writer gets to establish what type of feedback he or she would like. So if you'd like us to focus on or consider the visual aspects, then please let us know and we will. This will also bring up some really nice teachable moments, for if we're not sure about composition or color theory, it will bring up a time to discuss that and ask questions about it.

For example, what were you hoping to evoke with those purple, purple skies in Willow Creek?

Do you really want to know? Lol

I was joking for fun, but actually, yes. I have theories, but I'd love to hear what you were hoping to evoke with those skies.... but tomorrow, right? It's so late already where you are! LOL!

I'd love to hear your theory, to be honest.

5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member

Hiya, Lizzie! Hope you're having a great holiday!

I'd like to suggest that when you return, you and I each share a story or post for the workshop process. I think that we can do two simultaneously. And this way, we can "guinea pig" it to make sure that the process works and to see if we want to make any tweaks to it before others share their work.

In the meantime, we can all begin preparing the work that we'd like to share.

So we've got some idea of the scheduling, when will you be returning, and when shall we start discussing our stories?

Enjoy your holiday! :)
    Hey hun! Aw thanks, the weather has turned awful but it's still better than at home temperature-wise haha!

Yeah of course, I think as well it would be worth it just to see if we need to do one at a time or if we can handle more - also, how are we going to do this with the different time zones? Should we post a piece, give everybody a few days/week to process it and work on it and then have a set timeslot where we all group together again to discuss what we thought? Let me know your thoughts :)

Well, I will be home full time as of the 17th August, I have intermittent wifi until the 16th where it'll be this time of day/night (for me) when I am back on English soil so can participate then as well. (I have a 5/6 hour car journey home but will be on my phone travelling in England). As for discussing our stories, if we choose a story to share in the next couple of days and post it on Wednesday is that enough time? And then we could reconvene as a group to discuss thoughts etc on Monday 17th?
    I don't know how long people want to take choosing their stories to be workshopped and then how long readers will want to spend looking at it?

Thank you! :3
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    So, I was thinking that we would just do this asynchronously. In my schedule I can pretty much only pop in during spare moments, rather than devote a specific period of time to be here.

So what I was thinking would be that each week we could have two stories (each by a different author) which we discuss all week.

So, for example, on Monday, August 17, we have one story/chapter from me, and one from you, Lizzie.

You would provide the feedback questions for your story, and I would provide the ones for mine.

Readers could provide their responses and feedback during the week.

Then, all week, we could discuss those two stories. I will imagine that we will build upon each other's comments, and each writer will likely have follow-up questions, and so on.

Then, on August 24, we move to two more stories by two more authors, and so on.

So it's sort of the same format as the book club, only the discussion is writer/craft focused, rather than reader and reader-response focused.

How does that sound?

• Options
    So, I was thinking that we would just do this asynchronously. In my schedule I can pretty much only pop in during spare moments, rather than devote a specific period of time to be here.

So what I was thinking would be that each week we could have two stories (each by a different author) which we discuss all week.

So, for example, on Monday, August 17, we have one story/chapter from me, and one from you, Lizzie.

You would provide the feedback questions for your story, and I would provide the ones for mine.

Then, all week, we could discuss those two stories. I will imagine that we will build upon each other's comments, and each writer will likely have follow-up questions, and so on.

So it's sort of the same format as the book club, only the discussion is writer/craft focused, rather than reader and reader-response focused.

How does that sound?

i might not be around much the 17th . its a monda which means shopping day but its also my birthday the real one. momhasn't given me her gifts yet so i assume shes doing it then but i'm going to be around the rest of that week as far as i know.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    @Cathytea it makes the Feedback pretty much as Selective as the book Club :/ I know there has to be some Kind of reguation but how do you decide which stories to discuss next? Some people might never get Feedback if they're not selected
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @Cathytea it makes the Feedback pretty much as Selective as the book Club :/ I know there has to be some Kind of reguation but how do you decide which stories to discuss next? Some people might never get Feedback if they're not selected

i think cathtea picked those 2 stories to start so she could better explain how ths works besides at 2 stories a wek everyone is garunteed a turn.
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 well depends, I mean if lets say 8 people request Feedback some of them would have to wait for 4 weeks. And I expect more than 8 people to participate here ^^
  • Options

How does that sound?

i might not be around much the 17th . its a monda which means shopping day but its also my birthday the real one. momhasn't given me her gifts yet so i assume shes doing it then but i'm going to be around the rest of that week as far as i know.

Sounds cool, friendsfan! It'll be a week long thing, and since folks will be reading the work and thinking about the questions, I suspect it'll be a few days before the conversations pick up.

(I'm happy your birthday's coming. Are you starting to feel that birthday happiness inside?)

• Options

How does that sound?

Sounds cool, friendsfan! It'll be a week long thing, and since folks will be reading the work and thinking about the questions, I suspect it'll be a few days before the conversations pick up.

(I'm happy your birthday's coming. Are you starting to feel that birthday happiness inside?)

no just old.
  • Options

Hi, July! So I was thinking that Lizzie and I would go first so that we could sort of test everything out. That way, if we discover that there were big things we'd overlooked or if we feel we need to make major adjustments, then we would be able to address those changes before others share their work.

Then, what I was thinking was a rotation basis, where we rotate through all the participants, with two writers each week.

Would you like to be one of the two writers during the week of August 24? If so, that would be awesome!

Right now, it's not looking like we have a ton of people interested in participating--which is the best thing! It'll be great if we don't have more than ten or twelve. If we get more than we can handle, then we can consider having four writers each week or having multiple threads, with about five to ten people participating in each. (I'm just brainstorming--so these are super loose and rough ideas. What I'm getting at is that we'll figure out something that works to provide both inclusion and the level of feedback that we want.)

My goal is for us each to have a turn every six weeks or so... maybe even every four weeks, if possible!

Anyway, we're in the early phases, so we're still figuring out details.

Please know that the goal is for every participant to have their work read, for us to cycle through participants so we get multiple turns, and for us to have a manageable number of pieces to read and provide feedback on each week.

We'll be able to do this! So just keep speaking up when you come up with your good considerations.

(And I'm also planning that we'll read your Room Challenge in Book Club, once you get a few more chapters. Any chance you'd be thinking of starting a blog for those of us who have technical challenges reading long stories here on the threads? If not, we can do the Forum story--we did it for Pammie, and we're doing it for Aurora. I just know that I always cringe a bit when I have to read a forum story because both my laptop and my nook act SO slow and jumpy and glitchy when I do. It's one of those visceral things.)

• Options
    @Cathytea thanks for your Feedback :) Oh alright I believed there were a lot more people interested in participating. It would be alright of course if the Group is smaller ^^ I'd definitely like to submit my work at some point but I still have to think about which piece to submit which I feel has the Most issues so maybe someone else can go first :)

Maybe if the Group gets bigger we could divide it into two work groups? Not sure how that would work exactly just throwing it out there ^^ If the Group stays small just ignore this.

I'm actually going to Set up a Blog tomorrow :) Hope it works out I don't have a lot of experience with Blogs.
  • Options
    I'm actually going to Set up a Blog tomorrow :) Hope it works out I don't have a lot of experience with Blogs.

Yay, I'm so excited! This will make it so much easier for me to read your work! There are lots of people with experience with WordPress on the lounge, and Carewren123 has a lot of experience with weebly, and that blog that octojenn is using looks amazing.

I've found WordPress super easy, and it now allows you to choose your font for your theme which is so awesome.

What I think I'll do for here is to have people sign up for their week. I'll get that started next.

• Options

How does that sound?

no just old.

Hey, you're 12 years younger than me! And I feel young!