Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 and Windows 10

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but does anyone know whether or not the Sims 3 will work with the new Windows 10 operating system coming this summer?

Comments

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    No idea. I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows 10.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Me either...I did not upgrade to Win8 or 8.1 and I have no plans to upgrade to Win 10. The only reasons I got Win 7 was my computer came with it and Windows was ending support of XP, the best of the whole dang series. :(
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    What are you kidding me? Windows 10?? I feel like 8 just came out! Where's 9?
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    slynnski wrote: »

Windows 7 8 9. Duh.

Ah, right, I should have known. My b. XD
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I really want to know as well, because we're planning to buy a new computer and it will no doubt have Windows 10.
    But if I can't play Sims 3 on it I won't need a computer.
    smi123_zpsibpbnfzn.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    I've read reports that it won't be able to play on Windows 10 and I've read reports that it will be able to be played on Windows 10.

There is a list somewhere of graphics cards that won't work on Windows 10.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Most of the players I've read about who have tried playing on the Win10 pre-release beta say that the game cannot be run at all. A few say otherwise. Certainly many players' graphics drivers will need to be updated, if the manufacturer still provides updates for their models. For OS related issues, if there are any that can be easily addressed, many of us expect that EA may release a hotfix or (shudders to think of it) a patch since by all accounts TS3 will still be a product available for sale after the full market release of Win10.

But the best advice is to not rush into any kind of update on a computer where you expect to continue playing TS3. Far too many unknowns to contend with.

One should still be able to buy new computers with Win 8.1 for quite a while. That option doesn't typically disappear overnight when a new OS is released. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    LionPalmsLionPalms Posts: 15 New Member
    Hi everyone,

I am currently running Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Build 10130 on my laptop and I've had no issues with gameplay at all. Now this may vary between different laptops and if something were to change in Windows 10 when it is "officially launched."
  • Options
    MalwareHunterMalwareHunter Posts: 38 Member
    I have Windows 8.1 Pro and it works great! I'm not rushing into upgrading to Windows 10 but I wanted to know for future reference. If I do end up finding out after Windows 10 is out for a while that The Sims 3 does not work at all on the new OS, I won't be upgrading my main PC that I play the game on. I can probably already not even bother trying my Sims 2 games on the new OS... haha
  • Options
    dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I'm not going to bother upgrading to Windows 10. I'm pretty sure I can't play TS2 on it and I want to be able to play it. Also, I imagine I won't be able to play TS3 on it either.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    slynnski wrote: »

According to my dad, they skipped 9 because someone deemed it an unlucky number.

I only have Windows 8 because my laptop came with it when I bought it. Windows 7 was enough for me.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    masterjamie2masterjamie2 Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2015
    Another theory is that programmers at the time used "Win 9" as a catch-all for 95 and 98, and it could cause trouble with older programs. Knowing Microsoft, though, and trying to get as much acceptance as possible after the blehness of Windows 8, might have chosen to go with 10 due to the "international acceptance" route.

In Japanese culture, to take one example, the number 9 is considered unlucky, because it's pronounced "Ku", which shares similar pronounciation to "agony" or "torture"*. Come to think of it, it might be the reason why Windows 95 came after Windows 3.1, not Windows 4, since it's pronounced as "shi", which is similar to the pronounciation of "death".

On TS3 side of things, I don't know. Windows 10 is still kinda "up in the air", although I do have hope that it will run. MS has a weird tendency to make one good version of Windows, then one bad version, and it repeats, like a pattern.

*It could be argued that Windows is torture incarnate. :P
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    One theory out there is that they skipped "Win 9" because in certain contexts it looks too much like "Win 95" and "Win 98."

Edit: And the first one who says, "Oh yeah, my grandparents used to talk about those!" gets smacked in the shins with igazor's walking stick. ;)

Talk about them?i had a 95 and 98 ,even a 2000,ect.dial up was a pain as well :p
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    edited June 2015
    Edit: And the first one who says, "Oh yeah, my grandparents used to talk about those!" gets smacked in the shins with igazor's walking stick. ;)

And if somebody badmouths XP, I'll smack them with my japanese sword cane. :wink:
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So now we need a new social interaction, Reminisce About Operating Systems?

In the meantime, I have been pointed towards an illustrated post on The Naughty Sims Asylum where a player with the beta release of Win10 explains how they got TS3 running on it. They hadn't tried TS2 yet. Seems very simple; compatibility mode actually does work for them. Not taking that to the bank just yet, but it looked a lot more encouraging than other earlier reports.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    One theory out there is that they skipped "Win 9" because in certain contexts it looks too much like "Win 95" and "Win 98."

How about: "Oh yeah, I worked with those!" ;) And I played games on a Commodore 64 soooo....
    I hope the encouraging reports are correct.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    Personally, I just got my computer upgraded to Win8.1, so I'm not that keen on jumping to the Win10 bandwagon yet. I'm thinking about keeping my system as it is until they've actually released Win10 and worked all the kinks out of it.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    I want to see a "Post Your TS3 Win10 Problems Here" thread in the technical section, after full release of course. With absolutely no postings on it because no one at all has any problems to report.

Perhaps a tiny bit too much to hope for? :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I wont upgrade to Win10 if TS2 isn't compatible. I'm pretty sure TS3 is going to be.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    MalwareHunterMalwareHunter Posts: 38 Member
    I loved Windows XP!!! Windows 7 is also another one of my favorites! Windows 8.1 I could do without but since I've had issues in the past with it and due to recent computer issues, I again have Windows 8.1. But being that the Sims 3 works well on it, I can't really badmouth it too much. I do agree though that there is a track record with good and bad OS's every couple of years. Makes me wonder how Windows 10 will turn out.
  • Options
    DougTroutenDougTrouten Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2015
    > @igazor said:
    > One theory out there is that they skipped "Win 9" because in certain contexts it looks too much like "Win 95" and "Win 98."
    >
    >
    > Edit: And the first one who says, "Oh yeah, my grandparents used to talk about those!" gets smacked in the shins with igazor's walking stick. ;)

If one doesn't count Windows versions such as NT and 2000 (both were marketed more towards businesses) or versions such as 3.1, 98SE (second edition), XP Home, XP starter, XP Professional, etc... but the base versions such as 1, 2, 3, 95, etc... Then technically Windows 7 would be Windows 9 where as Windows 10 should actually be called Windows 11.

I know the Window 9x series (Win 95, 98 and ME) are mistakenly referred to as Windows 9 by those who don't realize the 9x is referring to either 95 or 98 (and ME which was the last of the 9x kernel series before Windows XP to the current version went to the NT kernel for the OS).

BTW igazor I remember the first Windows PC we got being the Windows 3.1 OS and playing games like Wolfenstein 3D on it, so win 95 and Win 98 are nothing, in fact I have used PCs that the OS was from Windows 3 up to Windows 8 (actually owned a computer with each OS other then NT and 2000 at one point or another, though the Win 8 computer is now my moms, I am using Win 7 on my laptop).> @JoAnne65 said:

Edit:
    > igazor wrote: »
    >
    > One theory out there is that they skipped "Win 9" because in certain contexts it looks too much like "Win 95" and "Win 98."
    >
    >
    > Edit: And the first one who says, "Oh yeah, my grandparents used to talk about those!" gets smacked in the shins with igazor's walking stick. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    > How about: "Oh yeah, I worked with those!" ;) And I played games on a Commodore 64 soooo....
    > I hope the encouraging reports are correct.

Oh yeah well I used to play games on both a Commodore PET and the Commodore 64 and and Apple II (granted the Apple II and Commodore PET were at school, the Apples were the computer lab in elementary and the Commodore PET was one of about 5 that a teach had in the classroom for the kids to play on as rewards, though we did own the 64 when I was growing up before moving to the PC with Win 3).
  • Options
    Painterly27Painterly27 Posts: 177 Member
    edited June 2015
    I am happy with windows 7. It functions well enough and I and happy with it, so ....

Nope. :)
  • Options
    BTW igazor I remember the first Windows PC we got being the Windows 3.1 OS and playing games like Wolfenstein 3D on it, so win 95 and Win 98 are nothing, in fact I have used PCs that the OS was from Windows 3 up to Windows 8 (actually owned a computer with each OS other then NT and 2000 at one point or another, though the Win 8 computer is now my moms, I am using Win 7 on my laptop).
    Guess my comment was directed more towards those who have never seen a command line prompt. Or a 5.25" floppy in the B drive.

And I'm afraid I can go back a lot further than that. My high school computer projects were done in BASIC. That's not unusual, but they were compiled on a mainframe, each line represented by a card with the codes meticulously filled in with #2 pencils and run through a card reader in stacks. Punch card machines and punch tapes weren't new, but to our school they would still have been luxuries. I wonder how many trillions of "cards" it would take to load up TS3 and all EPs each time?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!