Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unlocked items should stay unlocked

Hello,

I was playing the Sims and I have had 6 sims maximising their career, being both branches of Astronaut, Business and Culinary. I was planning to make a couple more sims and maximise all careers one by one so that in the end I would be able to play with all furniture being unlocked in a legit way, not using the testingcheat. However, I found out that the unlocked item is only unlocked for the family with the career!

I thought that if one of my sims had unlocked an item by having the recquired level of career, it meant that I as the player had unlocked the item, and thus be able to buy it with other families and in other houses as well (given they can afford it) but obviously this is not the case. This actually makes my plan of unlocking everything legit pretty impossible.

Hence I would propose to either change it or make an option where you can select if you want to unlock an item for the (family of the) sim with the career, or unlock it for the whole game. Because IMHO when I unlocked it in a legit way, I should be able to use it anywhere I want in a legit way as well!

I sincerely hope this can be considered for future updates!

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Options
    SimmerForLife101SimmerForLife101 Posts: 61 Member
    > @Sucom said:
    > Having locked objects is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea in my opinion. Who came up with that? As if objects aren't restricted enough already!

Agreed
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    Having locked objects is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea in my opinion. Who came up with that? As if objects aren't restricted enough already!

well It's suppose to have something to work for like a goal, similar to how you increase skills, and jobs, you unlock interactions, Suppose to add to game play. thoughI agree I shouldn't have to use the unlock cheat to buy my bed.
    but whatever, I learned how to type bb.ignoregamplayunlocksentitlement in under 5 seconds.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    @MasonGamer I learned that too real quick. I find it amusing that they used locked objects. And for me it adds annoyance more than gameplay.

As I play I come to see why in my opinion they did this along with the absolutely long eating, long job requirements, and long skilling up (after level 3)..because they tried to hide the fact that actual gameplay is lacking in this game. I am missing actual gameplay so I'm off to play Sims 3.
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    I think this mechanic worked well with The Sims console games, because that's the nature of a console game, but the Sims on PC has always been a sandbox with odd items (the heart bed, motive mobile etc) being the only things locked and needing lifetime rewards etc to unlock. I hated this when I found out it was part of the main PC game it was incredibly disappointing as they're not 'special' items. They're just general stuff, especially one of the beds that you can unlock. BS in my opinion.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > well It's suppose to have something to work for like a goal, similar to how you increase skills, and jobs, you unlock interactions, Suppose to add to game play. thoughI agree I shouldn't have to use the unlock cheat to buy my bed.
    > but whatever, I learned how to type bb.ignoregamplayunlocksentitlement in under 5 seconds.

I have no problem with having to work towards a goal, but I do have a problem with the fact that if I finally unlock an item its still locked for every situation except the family I unlocked it with. I.e. every family that needs the good fridge and furnace needs to has a master chef. This shouldn't be necessary => Unlocked is Unlocked.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > well It's suppose to have something to work for like a goal, similar to how you increase skills, and jobs, you unlock interactions, Suppose to add to game play. thoughI agree I shouldn't have to use the unlock cheat to buy my bed.
    > but whatever, I learned how to type bb.ignoregamplayunlocksentitlement in under 5 seconds.

I have no problem with having to work towards a goal, but I do have a problem with the fact that if I finally unlock an item its still locked for every situation except the family I unlocked it with. I.e. every family that needs the good fridge and furnace needs to has a master chef. This shouldn't be necessary => Unlocked is Unlocked.

Same with achievements. At least with locked stuff there is a cheat.. I hate the st..up..id achievement system right along with the notification wall..

• Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Having locked objects is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea in my opinion. Who came up with that? As if objects aren't restricted enough already!

well It's suppose to have something to work for like a goal, similar to how you increase skills, and jobs, you unlock interactions, Suppose to add to game play. thoughI agree I shouldn't have to use the unlock cheat to buy my bed.
    but whatever, I learned how to type bb.ignoregamplayunlocksentitlement in under 5 seconds.

Unfortunately, some (if not all) of the items that are unlockable are not on an equal level with the career level. For example, the refrigerator that is unlocked in the culinary career is not the best or even second best. Which makes it rather pointless to unlock it since by that time your sim can likely afford something better. That was my experience. So it doesn't really add to gameplay.

Even using the cheat code gets to be a pain after awhile because you have to use it to unlock every time you play which affects immersion.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Thats quite possible, but for me it's more like a thing, if I unlocked something I want it to be unlocked and usable for real. As in, I worked for it, got it legit, and then it's (currently) taken away again because the current family has other jobs. That's just not right.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    In sims 2 aren't there objects that you unlock with careers.... but aren't those objects a bit more special? In sims 4 all the objects are just normal everyday stuff like a tv or a sink that doesn't even have any real special quality about it, in sims 2 each career I think had a special unlockable that was not visually like any other object in game and that actually had some special function to help you in that career. I really don't care for the way it's done in this game, and also feel its ridiculous that items are only unlocked for the household that unlocked them. I think it would have been better to not have all these locked objects at all, but now that they have the cheat to unlock everything built into the game and you don't have to have a mod to do it, I think it's ok. It's the best compromise we will get since it's not like they are going to overhaul the whole system.

If you want to go for goals you can set them for yourself. If you feel that you don't want to use any of the unlockables before you get them "legit" then wait until you have a sim earn it and then allow yourself to use it in any household you want with the cheat.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be that hard to change the 'unlocked' boolean to something that doesn't consider which household a sim is in. It might be a good option for the menu if they want to keep it this way. My problem with the cheat is it also unlocks EVERYTHING, including collectables and stuff. I just want to be able to use the unlocked furniture, and not have my menu flooded with all kinds of normally unbuyable stuff. So i really hope they will consider trying to work something out for this!
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    > @MasonGamer said:

This. I absolutely agree 100% that I'm okay with having the career items locked till they're awarded to a sim.

But from then on, I the player should be given full access to it for my game. I've done the work. Do you REALLY expect me to go through every single career and aspiration for every single household to get access to all the stuff? Ha!

Ridiculous having to cheat unlock stuff to add it to community lots, as well. Not a great plan.

However, for those of you who are (like me) notsomuch into typing out all that long stuff, go check out Plasticbox's Cheat Shortcuts at MTS. Still works fine, and makes command line things way easier!!

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=543998

• Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @AlHollandiyah You could still continue with your original idea. Once your household has unlocked the career items create and save a 'room' with the items. It does not have to be big or decorated or even have walls. By saving the room to your Library or the Gallery you can use them in any Save. If that household has not yet unlocked them the items cannot be cloned. But you can use them.
    For example I created a Galley Kitchen with the counters and islands from the Culinary career. I can plop it into any save whenever I want.
    :)
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited August 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    In sims 2 aren't there objects that you unlock with careers.... but aren't those objects a bit more special? In sims 4 all the objects are just normal everyday stuff like a tv or a sink that doesn't even have any real special quality about it, in sims 2 each career I think had a special unlockable that was not visually like any other object in game and that actually had some special function to help you in that career. I really don't care for the way it's done in this game, and also feel its ridiculous that items are only unlocked for the household that unlocked them. I think it would have been better to not have all these locked objects at all, but now that they have the cheat to unlock everything built into the game and you don't have to have a mod to do it, I think it's ok. It's the best compromise we will get since it's not like they are going to overhaul the whole system.

If you want to go for goals you can set them for yourself. If you feel that you don't want to use any of the unlockables before you get them "legit" then wait until you have a sim earn it and then allow yourself to use it in any household you want with the cheat.

The sims 2 objects you unlock when you reach a certain career level are special objects. I'd say they are so special that it makes sense that you have to unlock them. They are designed to help your sim or sim's family members to increase a skill rapidly, much faster than any skill-building object that is bought in the Buy menu. Some of them seem to double or triple the skilling speed, combine it with the increased skill buff for Autumn, and wow the sim will be upper skill level in no time at all. Like the Exerto Punching Bag from the Athletic career helps with the body skill, the Senso Twitch Lie Finder from the Criminal career helps with the creativity skill, etc. Many of them have the ability for sims with a higher level in the skill to "give lessons" so I use them with my sims parents & grandparents to teach the younger generations.

If the Sims 4 had objects like this that we had to unlock, I'd be fine with that. But regular objects that don't seem to give much of a buff, other than being different or looking nicer than other objects in the catalog, no. I don't care for it. It's much too goal-oriented for me and I'm a sandbox player.

• Options
    MaxtheTownieMaxtheTownie Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »

If the Sims 4 had objects like this that we had to unlock, I'd be fine with that. But regular objects that don't seem to give much of a buff, other than being different or looking nicer than other objects in the catalog, no. I don't care for it. It's much too goal-oriented for me and I'm a sandbox player.

Oh, but some of those objects have emotions.

Seriously though, who came up with the idea of locking variations of regular objects? As if the game is not goal-oriented enough.
    Signature3.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2015
    What is very wrong and frustrating is the fact even if your Sim earns it the old fashioned way by working for it, if they leave that career and or move out it is not available to someone else. Boo! And they no longer have the freedom to use an object if they quit their job. How ridiculous rpg that is. It's a life simulator/sandbox game for goodness sake. They earned it...stop limiting gameplay. ETA: Science Career Prime Example.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    symuxsymux Posts: 10 New Member
    I have to agree with you about locking them for the player vs the game/family/sim. It's a player reward to unlock items, because we are the only ones who really care about it. It would've encouraged me to start a new sim family and play game after game to unlock all the items. I would've wasted over a hundred RL hours doing this, and feeling good about it. Now, it's just wasted time and not worth doing.
  • Options
    symux wrote: »
    I have to agree with you about locking them for the player vs the game/family/sim. It's a player reward to unlock items, because we are the only ones who really care about it. It would've encouraged me to start a new sim family and play game after game to unlock all the items. I would've wasted over a hundred RL hours doing this, and feeling good about it. Now, it's just wasted time and not worth doing.

That's exáctly what I was planning to do, but after a couple of careers unlocked I found out it didn't work that way. I really wanted to play towards unlocking all the items one by one, but this system just makes me go: "Meh, I'll use the cheat!"
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    In The Sims 2 you had points to spend on rewards (such as a romantic hot tub, or bowl of pet food that makes them younger) and had career rewards. These would only appear for that household once the requirements were met. While I understand its the same basically for The Sims 4 I see there's some non career items that are locked that require certain actions, this is a no no.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I agree.

I'm still waiting for a patch to finally remove the goal-oriented content from the game (and GTW) already. Clearly, there is just no benefit to having it, and a very good portion of players are sick of it being around in the game.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    They should be unlocked for at least the world save, if not for the player's account as a whole. I don't mind earning the unlocks, but I do agree they should remain unlocked. The buy/build mode is for the player, not the Sims. Sims are already restricted via prices, and these unlocked items tend to be the most expensive ones anyway.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Once an item is unlocked, anyone in the family should be able to use it, not just the person in that particular career track. As I remember, one of the goals of Pinstar's Legacy Challenge for Sims 2, was to have every career object and ever special reward objects in the family by the time they get to Generation 10.

This becomes impossible with Sims 4 if the only person able to use the object leaves the career track or that job and it gets locked again. In that case, what's the point?
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2015
    I totally agree - once someone in a household unlocks something it needs to stay unlocked. In the very first game I played in the Sims 4 - my poor female sims lost her bed when her husband died because the husband had unlocked the bed. I was like "WHAT the HECK!" Bad enough her husband died and to top it all her bed vanishes too. Like what is up with that? Why is there no inheritance or something to counter things like that?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

Is that the cheat...? I'll need at least a week to master that one :s And refresher courses to make it stick.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    In The Sims 2 you had points to spend on rewards (such as a romantic hot tub, or bowl of pet food that makes them younger) and had career rewards. These would only appear for that household once the requirements were met. While I understand its the same basically for The Sims 4 I see there's some non career items that are locked that require certain actions, this is a no no.

The fun in TS2 was we could unlock everything and build a community lot and every Sim in the game could go there and use those objects opening up many ways to play the game and to create stories. And objects were tied to the 'lots' and if we moved our Sims out we could leave those objects behind. Creating many more avenues for our stories to expand. This way is just a rpg in disguise.