Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cogitotoro's Barely Habitable Junkyard

CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
edited May 2015 in The Sims 3 Builders
I've just uploaded a junkyard lot I've been working on off and on for ages to the Exchange. There's only one picture of it there, so I thought I'd throw some more up here.

This is the Residential version. I have a Community Lot version - which had to be significantly different because when you convert a lot to a Community lot it doesn't save a bunch of the things on the Residential lot (cars and stoves, most devastatingly in this case). I'll upload the Community version soon!

UPDATE: the Community Lot is uploaded now too! It's here.

I originally was making it for a story I was working on, but it could be used for people who like to start Sims off homeless, or just for its wonderful ambience! It has a single bed, a tent, sleeping bag, fire pit, semi-hidden all-in-one bathroom, and not much more. Almost all the stuff on the lot that would work on other lots is blocked in or otherwise nonfunctional. There might be some little surprises here and there, but most of the fun is in the amount of "junk" I stuck in there and recolored to be junky.

screenshot_original.jpg

The bathroom is under that junk pile...
screenshot_original.jpg
See?
screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Here are some pictures from the Community version, which is different here and there, but basically the same:

screenshot_original.jpgthesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8659862

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
No wishlist for me!
Post edited by Cogitotoro on

Comments

• Options
    Jen1129Jen1129 Posts: 267 Member
    Nice junkyard! Especially the residential version (love all the cars and stoves clumped together).
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Both versions of the Junkyard look great! :) It looks great how you have placed all the items together! The cars look great how you have placed them in the Residential version! It is great that you have a firepit for the sims who live there to toast food on and keep warm. The type of plants and trees that you have used sit well the theme of the build. You have captured the theme of a junkyard so very well! The junkyards would be great for simmers doing challenges or writing sims stories.
    They are great junkyard themed builds! :)
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    :star: Oh, love these Ashley. They actually look like real junkyards, and would make a great addition to most any world; I particularly like the way you have 'distressed' the patterns. Yes, I can easily imagine using them in a story game. :)
  • Options
    TeegersTeegers Posts: 816 Member
    I love it! You've done a LOT of work on this, the recolorings look great! In the last residential picture, what is the basin with water? I've been looking for something similar to make a flume with for the water wheel.
    Hi, I'm Te-ge (pronounced TG)
    Origin ID: Teegers1
    Steam: Teegers
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice comments, @Jen1129 , @rosemow , and @ajaxpost !
    Teegers wrote: »
    I love it! You've done a LOT of work on this, the recolorings look great! In the last residential picture, what is the basin with water? I've been looking for something similar to make a flume with for the water wheel.

Thanks so much. That is the horse water trough from Pets, I believe. FYI, somewhere there's another water trough and a round water tank. I just found them in Buy, sorted by "outdoor" and "decor" - they're marked as Store content but I have no idea where they came from! Don't seem to be part of Grandpa's Grove or the Old Mill... a mystery. A flume is a great idea for the water wheel - unless you put it in water, it just kind of sits there in a little puddle, doesn't it? I wonder if you could MOO a bunch of troughs together... Good luck!
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    arqmodernoarqmoderno Posts: 174 Member
    Eheheh, thore are, really, junkyards !!! Good work !!
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Cogitotoro wrote: »
    Thanks for the nice comments, @Jen1129 , @rosemow , and @ajaxpost !
    Teegers wrote: »

Thanks so much. That is the horse water trough from Pets, I believe. FYI, somewhere there's another water trough and a round water tank. I just found them in Buy, sorted by "outdoor" and "decor" - they're marked as Store content but I have no idea where they came from! Don't seem to be part of Grandpa's Grove or the Old Mill... a mystery. A flume is a great idea for the water wheel - unless you put it in water, it just kind of sits there in a little puddle, doesn't it? I wonder if you could MOO a bunch of troughs together... Good luck!
    "Long Water Trough" and "Round Water Trough" came with Riverview. Most of the Riverview items are really hard to find in the catalogue, which is unfortunate because it means I always forget about them! The troughs (and most of the other Riverview odds and ends) are under Decor --> All and Outdoors --> Lawn Ornaments only.

Anyway, great work, Ash! It really does look so very 'junky', which is hard to do. My junkyards always look far too clean. :tongue:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    p-para-Xylenep-para-Xylene Posts: 230 Member
    This looks wonderful. Downloading it now. Plan to boot up and I know just the guy to move in here.
    Only thing I don't have is the Toyota Prius - I assume system will throw in another car.
    Big Hi to @Cogitotoro and others
    Wish list free since 2015-02-23
  • Options
    This looks wonderful. Downloading it now. Plan to boot up and I know just the guy to move in here.
    Only thing I don't have is the Toyota Prius - I assume system will throw in another car.
    Big Hi to @Cogitotoro and others

Hey there! Oh, I hadn't thought about some people not having the Prius. Actually if I were you I'd go into buydebug and replace it with the red smooshed junk car; I think I didn't put one of those on the residential lot.

I have play tested the lot some, but realized after uploading it that I've never had anyone live there and go somewhere - they might use one of the cars, then it wouldn't be able to park back in the junkyard (the cars are MOO'd in, not in parking spaces). You may have to constantly replace cars if you were to actually play a sim living on the lot, lol.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    TeegersTeegers Posts: 816 Member
    Cogitotoro wrote: »

Thank you! Apparently they came with Riverview and they're somewhat hidden unless you've played Riverview since you last uploaded the game (I hadn't). Found them now, and the straight one is exactly what I was looking for. Now to figure out the fog emitter enough that it looks like water running off the flume. :)
    Hi, I'm Te-ge (pronounced TG)
    Origin ID: Teegers1
    Steam: Teegers
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    edited May 2015
    Heh, these lots remind me of the myriad of TV shows centered on compulsive hoarders (I know they can be awful and disgusting, but I found them to be informative as well). I wonder if it would be possible to build a house chock full of stuff, complete with a kleptomaniac, slob, loner type Sim to live in it. I'd guess the Sim would have trouble getting anywhere within that house, since they sometimes seem to have trouble with navigating even the most normal house layouts due to poor routing. But of course, that would just be realistic, since the real compulsive hoarders don't actually manage to get around their house that well either.

Anyway, I really like the lots, they add a touch of realism into the game, and would probably fit right in around the bayou parts of Twinbrook, where the actual residentials have a similar, worn out look. The amazing part is that if you spend a bit of time refurbing them with better stuff, they'll look nice.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I love the bunch of cars there! Very junkyardy. Also, I really like the idea in general. The Sims world could use more grittiness like this.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    The residential lot is awesome! And I though I as mean to my sims.....hahahahahahaha!!! I have done homeless, but never in a junkyard. Too funny, and it looks so realistic!