Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• Options
    Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Minx11 wrote: »
    I feel so useless. I'm taking Higher Modern Studies at school (Second highest level avaliable for that subject) and it is so difficult (For those who don't know what Modern Studies is, it's a subject about news and politics and all that stuff). I had homework for over the holidays and it was so confusing I just gave up on all of that subject. I also tried to help my mum cook dinner (Well, I got what I wanted, I stood there just thinking about stuff whilst she stood by the oven cooking other stuff, she got mad and put my stuff in), that happened.
    The point is, the fact that Modern Studies confuses me so much I feel dumb. My exam results don't help either. I failed National 5 Maths (One level lower than Higher) and that made me feel bad. I got a C in National 5 Graphic Communication, that's not great. I'm going for a sort of mini interview tomorrow about a part time job and I'm so nervous. I've never had a job and I don't know how to go about this, I'm so scared I'll mess it up, and everyone I know is so hoping I get it and I'm worries if I fail I'll disapoint everybody. I just don't know what to do about anything.

First of all, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. It sounds as if you've selected a course that's just over your head. Is there any way that you can drop it and take one a level down from it? Sounds as if you're from the United Kingdom. I know next to nothing about the schools there, but I know here in the USA, in college you can drop a course. This can also be done at the High School level. I know, I had to drop a course, because it conflicted with one I was really enjoying and doing fairly well in. Both courses were only offered at the exact same time of day. Either way, I was going to have to drop one. I stuck with the language class and forewent the Economics Class. Shortly thereafter, the latter was dismissed as a required course in order to graduate. Which is too bad, because that may have been a fun class to take. I never got another chance at it. I was in my last year of high school, too.

As for the job interview, you're probably going to need to do some self-talk. Don't worry about 'everybody' and whether or not you'll disappoint. Go in for the interview, smile, and try to let the interviewer do most of the talking. Remember, the person isn't a monster. Maybe they're new at giving interviews. Also, keep positive thoughts. If you tell yourself you won't succeed, your subconscious may come to accept that as truth and, well, you know, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. So gaze at yourself in the mirror and tell Minx 11 that you're a good person, you're competent and able to handle the job you're seeking. In fact, you'll be great at it. And remember, the person is not a monster, they're human just like you.

I have a hunch, you're going to do just fine. Now, relax and smile. ;)

Yes, I am in the UK (I seem to be the resident UK and console expert here... :)). I can drop them, it's just that options here so far aren't exactly... Ideal. As for the job, I guess it's good that it's a 3 minute walk from my house, right? Not far :D
    rosemow wrote: »
    I feel so useless. I'm taking Higher Modern Studies at school (Second highest level avaliable for that subject) and it is so difficult (For those who don't know what Modern Studies is, it's a subject about news and politics and all that stuff). I had homework for over the holidays and it was so confusing I just gave up on all of that subject. I also tried to help my mum cook dinner (Well, I got what I wanted, I stood there just thinking about stuff whilst she stood by the oven cooking other stuff, she got mad and put my stuff in), that happened.
    The point is, the fact that Modern Studies confuses me so much I feel dumb. My exam results don't help either. I failed National 5 Maths (One level lower than Higher) and that made me feel bad. I got a C in National 5 Graphic Communication, that's not great. I'm going for a sort of mini interview tomorrow about a part time job and I'm so nervous. I've never had a job and I don't know how to go about this, I'm so scared I'll mess it up, and everyone I know is so hoping I get it and I'm worries if I fail I'll disapoint everybody. I just don't know what to do about anything.

Hello @Minx11
    You are not useless at all! You are a very special person to your loved ones, both family and friends, and are a very valuable part of their lives and in the world as a whole. What grades you achieve in your schools studies, or how hard or easy that you find school studies subjects to be, doesn't define who you are as a person. It is what you are inside, and how you care for others that deeply matters, and makes you who you are. Many students have difficulties with certain subjects. Perhaps you could go and have a talk with your Modern Studies teacher and he/she could assist you with your questions about the subject and the homework.
    It is the thought that you wanted to help your mother with the cooking that is special. You wanted to help, and though it may not have have worked out completely, you were caring to want to assist her.
    I hope that your interview for the part time job goes as best as possible tomorrow. Going for interviews often causes people to be nervous. Try to get a good night's sleep tonight, and a meal in the morning to renew your mind and body to cope with the stress of the interview. An interview involves answering the questions in the interview that you are asked, and also being prepared with some knowledge about the company. You won't mess anything up. There is nothing to mess up, and whether you are offered the job or not, doesn't reflect who you are as a person. You won't disappoint anyone if you don't get the job. Your loved ones will still love you, and you are still the same person. It will just be a good opportunity of experience , in how to handle a job interview, for the next time.
    I send hugs to you <3 and will keep you in my thoughts as you have the job interview.

Well - My mum (Thankfully, she's not mad), is going to write a letter to the teacher to try and figure something out. And if I need a good night's sleep, I should probably go now (It's 11:16 pm) and breakfast? I have toast! And the company? What's to know? It's a coffee shop in a garden centre :D
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member

First of all, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. It sounds as if you've selected a course that's just over your head. Is there any way that you can drop it and take one a level down from it? Sounds as if you're from the United Kingdom. I know next to nothing about the schools there, but I know here in the USA, in college you can drop a course. This can also be done at the High School level. I know, I had to drop a course, because it conflicted with one I was really enjoying and doing fairly well in. Both courses were only offered at the exact same time of day. Either way, I was going to have to drop one. I stuck with the language class and forewent the Economics Class. Shortly thereafter, the latter was dismissed as a required course in order to graduate. Which is too bad, because that may have been a fun class to take. I never got another chance at it. I was in my last year of high school, too.

As for the job interview, you're probably going to need to do some self-talk. Don't worry about 'everybody' and whether or not you'll disappoint. Go in for the interview, smile, and try to let the interviewer do most of the talking. Remember, the person isn't a monster. Maybe they're new at giving interviews. Also, keep positive thoughts. If you tell yourself you won't succeed, your subconscious may come to accept that as truth and, well, you know, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. So gaze at yourself in the mirror and tell Minx 11 that you're a good person, you're competent and able to handle the job you're seeking. In fact, you'll be great at it. And remember, the person is not a monster, they're human just like you.

Yes, I am in the UK (I seem to be the resident UK and console expert here... :)). I can drop them, it's just that options here so far aren't exactly... Ideal. As for the job, I guess it's good that it's a 3 minute walk from my house, right? Not far :D

Hello @Minx11
    You are not useless at all! You are a very special person to your loved ones, both family and friends, and are a very valuable part of their lives and in the world as a whole. What grades you achieve in your schools studies, or how hard or easy that you find school studies subjects to be, doesn't define who you are as a person. It is what you are inside, and how you care for others that deeply matters, and makes you who you are. Many students have difficulties with certain subjects. Perhaps you could go and have a talk with your Modern Studies teacher and he/she could assist you with your questions about the subject and the homework.
    It is the thought that you wanted to help your mother with the cooking that is special. You wanted to help, and though it may not have have worked out completely, you were caring to want to assist her.
    I hope that your interview for the part time job goes as best as possible tomorrow. Going for interviews often causes people to be nervous. Try to get a good night's sleep tonight, and a meal in the morning to renew your mind and body to cope with the stress of the interview. An interview involves answering the questions in the interview that you are asked, and also being prepared with some knowledge about the company. You won't mess anything up. There is nothing to mess up, and whether you are offered the job or not, doesn't reflect who you are as a person. You won't disappoint anyone if you don't get the job. Your loved ones will still love you, and you are still the same person. It will just be a good opportunity of experience , in how to handle a job interview, for the next time.
    I send hugs to you <3 and will keep you in my thoughts as you have the job interview.

Well - My mum (Thankfully, she's not mad), is going to write a letter to the teacher to try and figure something out. And if I need a good night's sleep, I should probably go now (It's 11:16 pm) and breakfast? I have toast! And the company? What's to know? It's a coffee shop in a garden centre :D

The coffeeshop job in a garden centre sounds a great job! :) Whether you are offered the job or not, you will gain valuable interview experience.
  • Options
    Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member

Hello @Minx11

The coffeeshop job in a garden centre sounds a great job! :) Whether you are offered the job or not, you will gain valuable interview experience.

Yes I will. What I've just done now is I've left little messages around to motivate myself and self-declared today "Un-National Fearless Day" to remind myself of today - And to tell myself that everything will be okay :) Thank you <3
  • Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    good luck, @Minx11!
  • Options
    ShyllowwShylloww Posts: 298 Member
    So I applied, got interviewed and got the job to work in the bookstore on my college campus for this upcoming fall semester. A month into our summer break, I get a text saying that Barnes and Noble is running my campus bookstore, so its under new management but we ( all that would be starting) still had our positions, our information was to be handed over and someone would contact us. Its now two weeks until the semester begins. I thought I would have heard something by now so I ask my friend who also was working there if she has heard anything. She tells me today that she called them and she had to re-apply? Is this legal? I sent an email to the campus and am calling tomorrow when they are open to see how I can apply again because I need this job. I just don't know how this is allowed. Sorry for the rant.
    Origin ID: Sarahsmile37
  • Options
    Shylloww wrote: »
    So I applied, got interviewed and got the job to work in the bookstore on my college campus for this upcoming fall semester. A month into our summer break, I get a text saying that Barnes and Noble is running my campus bookstore, so its under new management but we ( all that would be starting) still had our positions, our information was to be handed over and someone would contact us. Its now two weeks until the semester begins. I thought I would have heard something by now so I ask my friend who also was working there if she has heard anything. She tells me today that she called them and she had to re-apply? Is this legal? I sent an email to the campus and am calling tomorrow when they are open to see how I can apply again because I need this job. I just don't know how this is allowed. Sorry for the rant.

Hello @Shylloww
    It is wise that you are calling them tomorrow to find out more details about the job position . You will be able to explain about the situation, and that you had previously been notified that you still had the job position even though the bookstore is under new management. There may have been some miscommunication and your details weren't handed on to the right contact person. Calling them tomorrow will help to sort out queries that you have, and if you do need to reapply or not. If you do need to reapply , you will be able to learn what steps you need to take to do it. If you are required to reapply, attach any documentation that you previously received that states that you still had your position.
    It will be good to hear how you get on after you call.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    hi @Shylloww, perhaps you could look up workers' rights or something similar online? i hope you can get some information today from the campus people/whoever texted you with the news. good luck.
  • Options
    ShyllowwShylloww Posts: 298 Member

Hello @Shylloww
    It is wise that you are calling them tomorrow to find out more details about the job position . You will be able to explain about the situation, and that you had previously been notified that you still had the job position even though the bookstore is under new management. There may have been some miscommunication and your details weren't handed on to the right contact person. Calling them tomorrow will help to sort out queries that you have, and if you do need to reapply or not. If you do need to reapply , you will be able to learn what steps you need to take to do it. If you are required to reapply, attach any documentation that you previously received that states that you still had your position.

It turned out that the new manager was only given our class schedules and only a few contact information. Hopefully it all works out okay and i have a job!
    Origin ID: Sarahsmile37
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Hello @Shylloww

It turned out that the new manager was only given our class schedules and only a few contact information. Hopefully it all works out okay and i have a job!

Hello
    It may be best to be in touch with the new manager, if you haven't done this already. Try to get confirmation that you still have the job, and then more details about your commencement of your job, such as the starting date, time etc.
    I hope that it all turns out well for you, and that you enjoy working at the bookstore :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I was getting ready to take the dog out for a walk. Unless I'm wearing my gym clothes or my "good" clothes in public-if I'm wearing my "junk" clothes I don't like wearing a bra with them. Well Mom asked me if I should and I said "no" but at the time Dad said "Yes" and it made me made-it's not HIS body he doesn't have to wear them and I know from Mom I have the same issue with bras as grandma did (her Mom).. It's not like my (bossom) can move much because of how fat I am.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I was getting ready to take the dog out for a walk. Unless I'm wearing my gym clothes or my "good" clothes in public-if I'm wearing my "junk" clothes I don't like wearing a bra with them. Well Mom asked me if I should and I said "no" but at the time Dad said "Yes" and it made me made-it's not HIS body he doesn't have to wear them and I know from Mom I have the same issue with bras as grandma did (her Mom).. It's not like my (bossom) can move much because of how fat I am.

Hello @MadameLee
    It is best to wear what is most comfortable for you and your body, depending on what you are doing at that time and the other clothing that you are wearing. You understand yourself how you feel wearing the bra, and that your grandma had an issue also.
  • Options
    fingers crossed, @Shylloww.

@MadameLee, it is your body and you (and you only) get to decide what is comfortable and what is not. that said, do you feel the same about all bras? for example, do you dislike wearing sports bras as opposed to regular ones? sorry if nosey.
  • Options
    fewlines wrote: »
    fingers crossed, @Shylloww.

@MadameLee, it is your body and you (and you only) get to decide what is comfortable and what is not. that said, do you feel the same about all bras? for example, do you dislike wearing sports bras as opposed to regular ones? sorry if nosey.

It depends on how hot I am after wearing a sports bra for a couple of hours. I don't mind wearing only a sports bra and getting some supper ready (I done that a couple of times) it just there been few chances in my 27 years of living in this neighbourhood most of the neighbours are more or less the same (of course some have moved away) and most of them (not all of them) seen me grown from a newborn to 18 (and older) year old. The only strangers around are those who are people who landscape or do shingles or something. I mean ( and this time I DO mean next door tenants) are the rare exception but they been his tenants since Gr 9 at the latest (but I didn't know they existed until I was in Gr.10 since the wife tenant was excepting a child)-and i don't know the family in J's old place on the other side of us. But other then that-basically my part of town is a 'small town'..basically you almost know everyone (almost).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @MadameLee, also i've seen tank tops with support... just the bra cups/padded stuff sort of sewn on to them. but they're an actual garment and not considered to be underwear.
    edited to add: and those adhesive bra cups don't work, or at least that was my experience. when i got my full back tattoo i bought one so i could leave my back uncovered, and it did not stick. i mean, the second you start sweating they basically fall/slide off.
  • Options
    @MadameLee, also i've seen tank tops with support... just the bra cups/padded stuff sort of sewn on to them. but they're an actual garment and not considered to be underwear.

it just I don't want to wear bras if I'm going to be walking the dog either to the libarary (or half way to the store) w/ mom or taking her 2-3 times around the block. Especially when I'm going to be having to wear my good bra for like 18 days in Sept starting Sept 17th-October 3rd. Since we're off on a trip. I like my bossom to breath in my town (unless I'm going to the gym OR going to day-program)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @MadameLee, yeah! totally your choice, it was just a random thought. because those tank tops aren't that tight as they do not have the strap/part with the clasp that goes around you. do you think that would be easier to bear, when you're on your trip? ;)
    Post edited by fewlines on
  • Options
    @fewlines I just think I was ticked off with Dad because this is the same dad who has a fit if Mom and I have something that is more then $5 for 'lunch' (ie like when I'm going to the museum, or a Science centre or the PTC with my day-program) or had a fit once when the first time my day-program went to PTC for lunch (and some shopping)-and we had an argument in the car (he was driving me to bowling pick-up spot) about what I should drink with my lunch HE wanted me to drink plain old boring water but I don't eat out very often and if I'm with my mom (with the exception of PTC) we don't even DO lunch..we just have a big breakfast and some snacks and then about 5ish we have supper and some more snacks later depending on what we're doing. Like this past week we had a "$5" lunch of Ice cream each day before our 2pm play

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    It is very nice that you were able to spend some time going out with your Mother to places over this last week @MadameLee :) It would have been special times for you both spending time together <3
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @MadameLee, that is not very healthy! you should be able to have at least a quick lunch, it doesn't even have to be expensive. some rice and vegetables? he can't say no because you all need to eat proper meals!
    i also have trouble drinking water, i don't feel thirsty at all, ever. but we're all supposed to drink 2 lt/68 fl oz (i don't know if you use lt or fl oz, i use lt so i converted it just in case) of water or juice or something like that every day.
    oh, also, i like a super awesome snack for when you're at home. carrot sticks with an avocado and cream cheese dip. what do you think?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @MadameLee, that is not very healthy! you should be able to have at least a quick lunch, it doesn't even have to be expensive. some rice and vegetables? he can't say no because you all need to eat proper meals!
    i also have trouble drinking water, i don't feel thirsty at all, ever. but we're all supposed to drink 2 lt/68 fl oz (i don't know if you use lt or fl oz, i use lt so i converted it just in case) of water or juice or something like that every day.

@fewlines Mom and I just skip the lunch since we had a big breakfast something like 3 cups of fruit (Mom prepares them the night before if we are going someplace), and yogurt and either a granola bar and some cheese OR toast with Jam and cheese slices and some OJ. We have seeds and twigs in the backpack (or in the bundy buggy-it's like a miniature shopping cart). We're having this like at maybe 8am 9ish at the latest and we don't get into Toronto until noonish. But we have a early supper since we don't do lunch (we also skip buying the expensive snacks at movies-since we have supper afterwards).

It just I don't think Dad has any right to talk since he has said some rude stuff in the past several years..to me. (like once he expected my mini Easter eggs to have melted despite being in a container in a backpack in the bunddy bugg).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    oh, ok, that does sound healthy. i was worrying because i felt you went too long without food.
  • Options
    CupcakeViolenceCupcakeViolence Posts: 124 Member
    I miss my furry fluff ball, my little kitty cat went in for surgery yesterday but due to an emergency they couldn't do the surgery until today and I should get him back tomorrow but I'm going in for my own surgery and I miss my kitty :(

Also we took him to the vet and he doesn't have renal disease (kidney disease) yet, key word there is yet, his kidney enzymes are still higher than they should be so there's a very good chance he will get it when he gets older, which will suck but at least I'll be out of school and have more $$$ to spend on his treatments.
    Come check out my selection! Finding her Prince Charming

Or my blog
  • Options
    I miss my furry fluff ball, my little kitty cat went in for surgery yesterday but due to an emergency they couldn't do the surgery until today and I should get him back tomorrow but I'm going in for my own surgery and I miss my kitty :(

Also we took him to the vet and he doesn't have renal disease (kidney disease) yet, key word there is yet, his kidney enzymes are still higher than they should be so there's a very good chance he will get it when he gets older, which will suck but at least I'll be out of school and have more $$$ to spend on his treatments.

Hello @CupcakeViolence
    I send hugs to you <3 as you miss your little kitty and as you prepare for your own surgery. I am sorry to hear that there was an emergency and your cat's surgery needed to be delayed. You would have been preparing yourself for your cat's surgery to have been yesterday and that you would have him home with you today. Pets can be a great comfort when we are sick, or in pain or approaching surgery. I hope that your surgery goes as smoothly as possible, and your recovery and healing process goes well, as you take the recovery time day by day.
    It is good that your kitty doesn't have renal disease yet. Try taking things just as they come, and the vet will keep a watch on the kidney enzymes levels and offer the most beneficial treatment and help when the times comes, if and when he does have the disease.
    You will soon see your precious kitty again <3
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @CupcakeViolence Good luck in your surgery. :) I hope you get reunited with you kitty soon. :)
  • Options
    kalien23kalien23 Posts: 44 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > I have started this thread for those simmers who may be going through hard times, and would like to have a place where they can post about how they are feeling , and receive caring support from fellow simmers. We are here for you.

Thank you for making this thread ^_^ I think this will help out so many people. I know I would have come to this thread if I had joined a couple weeks ago. I had something going on. (But all is well now, just healing :D)

Talking with people helps, even if it's just to get it off your chest or to feel less alone. I hope anyone reading this is feeling well, both body and mind. As a fellow simmer, I'm here for you. I know we all go through hard times.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top