Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. Please keep sharing your experiences. This is what we know about the issue at the moment.
- The jams, preserves, and condiments that can be made using Grandma's Canning station lose their description when stored on a lot that is placed from the library. The same thing happens if they are in the inventory of a sim that is placed from the library or from the temporary sidebar used to relocate families via edit town.
- This bug also occurs when sims travel.
- The broken jams (etc.) appear correctly when placed in the world, except that no name, description, or price can be viewed for them. In inventories, they appear as totally empty inventory slots, and they cannot be stacked.
- It's not clear why this happens, but we are keen to find out, and also to establish whether the broken objects can lead to other problems with the game (e.g. save file corruption).
- The issue occurs in both modded and vanilla games.
- It's not clear whether the broken jams (etc.) can be sold for simoleons, as reports from different users vary. They can be eaten, but one user reported sims resetting when they tried to eat it with scones, which may or may not be connected.
- No one has come forward, either here or on my My Page, to say that they do not have this problem, so for now I'm going to assume that it affects everyone.
*There seems also to be a bug whereby sims with jams in their inventory can't interact with others. I haven't been able to replicate it myself (unlike the missing descriptions, which I'm still assuming affects everyone), but it sounds like a big issue. We don't know for sure if the two bugs are connected, but the whole thing seems very suspicious.*