Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Corrupted jam - share your experiences

GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. Please keep sharing your experiences. This is what we know about the issue at the moment.

- The jams, preserves, and condiments that can be made using Grandma's Canning station lose their description when stored on a lot that is placed from the library. The same thing happens if they are in the inventory of a sim that is placed from the library or from the temporary sidebar used to relocate families via edit town.

- This bug also occurs when sims travel.

- The broken jams (etc.) appear correctly when placed in the world, except that no name, description, or price can be viewed for them. In inventories, they appear as totally empty inventory slots, and they cannot be stacked.

- It's not clear why this happens, but we are keen to find out, and also to establish whether the broken objects can lead to other problems with the game (e.g. save file corruption).

- The issue occurs in both modded and vanilla games.

- It's not clear whether the broken jams (etc.) can be sold for simoleons, as reports from different users vary. They can be eaten, but one user reported sims resetting when they tried to eat it with scones, which may or may not be connected.

- No one has come forward, either here or on my My Page, to say that they do not have this problem, so for now I'm going to assume that it affects everyone.

*There seems also to be a bug whereby sims with jams in their inventory can't interact with others. I haven't been able to replicate it myself (unlike the missing descriptions, which I'm still assuming affects everyone), but it sounds like a big issue. We don't know for sure if the two bugs are connected, but the whole thing seems very suspicious.*
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
Post edited by GreenCats on

Comments

• GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited October 2014
    Just an update to say that this is also a problem with jam placed on lots, not just in sims' inventories. For me it always loses its description when placed on lots that are saved to and then re-placed from the library, or uploaded to and then downloaded from the exchange.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • BishopBettieBishopBettie Posts: 88 Member
    I've experienced missing thumbnails and descriptions with jam placed on lots as well as jam stored in my sim's inventories (both personal and household inventories.) Sometimes only the description is missing. I have not been as observant to recognize a pattern with lots saved to the library and replaced. I have recently traveled to China and placed jams with no issues in a vacation home. I will do some tests with library saves and report back. Meanwhile, my vague recollections of the problem seemed to involve preserves rather than jams, and would appear regardless of a batch made fresh or pulled from downloaded inventories.
    edited October 2014
    Thanks so much for your input, @BishopBettie!

It's interesting that you've had problems with freshly made batches. For me so far it's just been what's spent time as a library/exchange file, but perhaps I've just been 'lucky'.

I guess it's a little late in the day to expect a patch for this but it would still be good to hear from the gurus what causes it and whether it's something to worry about...if anyone from TS3 store team is still working for EA...
  • brandi22brandi22 Posts: 3,949 Member
    edited October 2014
    @GreenCats - Thank you so much for bringing awareness to this issue. 500 jars of jam lost!! Ugh, that would have driven me crazy! :s I haven't noticed anything like this in my game, but I have uploaded a lot to the exchange with relish on board. So now I'm bummed thinking that the jars won't display correctly when the lot is downloaded! :fearful:

I wonder, if the canned items lose their description does anything display for their contents? Do they just display as simply "jam" or "relish?" Can Sims use it normally, or are there issues with this as well?
    Post edited by brandi22 on
    My Wishlist on Origin:
    https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/view-wishlist/koYQDL6TzKT18Z3EiX.RDw--
    To see my Sims, Builds, etc Click "My Studio":
    MY STUDIO
    edited October 2014
    @brandi22

Thanks for the reply!

I can only speak for my own game, but there is no description at all. When you hover over it, it's as though it's not there. It can be picked up in build/buy mode or dragged around in live mode, but not title, price, or description is displayed there either (although when sold, your household is credited some of simoleons). In inventories it appears as just a blank square. Annoying, it can't be stacked (e.g. in inventories).

However, the jars otherwise look normal, so your build should still appear as you intended. The jam can also be eaten as normal.

What I'd really like is,

1. To establish whether this affects everyone's games;
    2. To find out from someone who understands the game's code whether this can cause game corruption or any other problems (my game is about its usual level of bugginess, I'm continuing to use the jam, and Nraas Error Trap hasn't started going crazy or anything, but I'm always a little wary about objects that act weird in inventories or that aren't recognized as they should be);
    3. To raise awareness among other simmers so they understand what's happening to their jam.
  • brandi22brandi22 Posts: 3,949 Member
    edited October 2014
    @GreenCats - It sounds as if the canned items might as well not even be exported with lots or saved to libraries as they basically become useless! :confounded: If I have any time, I will do some testing and let you know what I find out. I don't know anything about the game's code, but I would also be curious to know whether this affects my game or others' games. I hope to hear from the gurus regarding this with any advice or recognition of the issue. Good luck!
    My Wishlist on Origin:
    https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/view-wishlist/koYQDL6TzKT18Z3EiX.RDw--
    To see my Sims, Builds, etc Click "My Studio":
    MY STUDIO

Hi @Greencats, I'm reporting back...

After testing the jams using various scenarios, I discovered every time I change my Sim's residence my jams will loose all thumbnails and descriptions. Likewise, a house with premade jams, downloaded from the exchange, will not have thumbnails or descriptions when placed in game.

I tried the following:
    -Moving my Sim through Edit town to the same neighborhood.
    -Moving a saved Sim from my library to a new neighborhood in a new game.
    -Placing a house from the exchange with premade jams.

And, going on vacation via World Adventures. (I was mistaken when I said my jams had no issues when I placed them in a vacation home in China... these jams had neither thumbnails or descriptions.)

To add to what you observed " the jars otherwise look normal, so your build should still appear as you intended. The jam can also be eaten as normal." I discovered that jams loose their potential moodlet score if they are opened from jars without descriptions. If let's say my sim eats toast from a "Perfect Quality" jar of plum jam, my sim will receive an "Amazing Meal" moodlet of an enhanced value of +50. But when she eats toast with jam with no description- yet, when originally made was "Perfect Quality"- she merely receives a "Good Meal" moodlet at a value of +10.

Another issue I've had with jams is my sim would reset when using the interaction "Eat With Scones." She would prepare the scone on the counter and then she would reset, never got a bite-poor girl. After, the only option was to "Clean Up." However, she could prepare and eat toast. In time this scone issue cleared up, although I don't know how. I said before, I had missing thumbnails and descriptions from a "fresh" batch of jam. Now, I don't believe this happened....I think I was just pointing at the wrong jars which had missing descriptions due to moving lots.

Basically, like you, I'm concerned if playing a game with these unidentified jams will lead to game corruption. So far, I've experienced my Sims not being able to interact with one another for a few sim days. When clicking on one sim to engage with another, I get a grey box with the Sim's name and no interaction choices. A couple weeks ago, I posted about it on this thread. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12761577/#Comment_12761577- I don't know if these two bugs are related, just noting the additional frustration. I hope if the jam problem is a bug it will be fixed. The tea set was just released in July. On a different note...one big question Greencats--why did you make 500 jars of jam?

• sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    I have only done a little testing of this so far but wanted to add my own voice as this seems to be a general problem that probably all players might encounter.
    I made several jams, preserves, relish and ketchup and kept them in my Sim's inventory, saved my Sim to the library and loaded that Sim into a new game. All the jars lost their thumbnails, descriptions and value.
    I did this test while using an un-modded game but later tried a couple of CC storage containers that I normally use that can be kept in your Sim's inventory to see if it would make a difference, but it did not.
    One other thing I noted is that a freshly made jar has a value of §100 but that it loses value at the rate of §10 per day, so there does not seem to be much point on keeping the jars long term. This seems a bit pointless as fruit lasts forever and yet jam and preserves made from it have a short shelf life! I get the feeling that this was an idea that was left unfinished due to the imminent closure of the store and that the Gurus just wanted to give us what had so far been developed.
    edited October 2014
    @BishopBettie - Thanks for all this information! I will update the OP tomorrow to break down what we know so far. Since the main store gurus no longer work here and a lot of the volunteer tech helpers no longer post here, I'll also make a post about this at Answers HQ. Perhaps crinrict or someone else there will be able to give us an answer on what exactly is happening here.

A modder who deals a lot with store content such as ani or nona might also know, but I don't really feel right barging into their sites and asking them something not directly related to their mods unless we get really desperate.

I'm not surprised travelling also causes issues, but it's really useful to have that confirmed. Great point about losing moodlets; I hadn't thought about that.

The resetting issue when you tried to make scones - was that just with jam that had no description? It would be good to know whether this is also a common issue. I think I just tested with toast but I will check the scones out next I'm in game.

Haha, well, I made so much jam because I wanted a good number of every type (it turns out we have a lot of different harvestables in the game!) to put in the WA chest in my farmers' market plus plenty more for display. Also, I wanted to give my plantsim something to do while I fully explored the nectar making career with her husband. I deleted all that first batch thinking it was just some freak accident. When it turned out it couldn't be avoided, I did end up uploading some newly made jams with the build, but far fewer than I had originally intended.
    @sirguylittle - Many thanks to you too for this information!

That's weird about the depreciating value. Like you say, probably a remnant of some other feature that was planned. Do you know if it's the same for both types of jam, i.e. both with and without a description?

• sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @GreenCats, the depreciation only occurs with the non-broken jam as the broken ones seem to lose their value as well as the other attributes, ie will sell for §0.

I also noticed that the quality of the harvestable makes no difference to the value of the jam. I tried both Nice and Perfect quality but the jars were both worth §100.
    @sirguylittle - Thanks for this.

There may be some variation then, as I can sell the broken jam for 70 simoleons (not sure if that price is the same for them all, but it was for the couple I tried). There is no price when you hover over it in live mode or when you pick it up in buy mode, but if I sell it my household is credited the simoleons.
    Have updated the OP.

@Greencats Firstly, here's the answer to your question about the "Eat With Scone" failed interaction I mentioned. After I will discuss how having unidentified jams in my Sims inventories is directly linked to a form of GAME CORRUPTION.

The "Eat With Scones" interaction glitches, fails to complete and resets, only when eating from "unidentified" jams. To be clear, jams which have their thumbnails and descriptions work fine, with no issues, when preparing "Eat With Scones". My Sims are able to prepare and enjoy a satisfying meal.

My Sims are able to "Eat With Toast" from both unidentified jams and jams which are not bugged. In addition, my Sims are able to "Give Gift" with both kinds of jam, unidentified or the normal "good" jams.

Gane Corruption

" Basically, like you, I'm concerned if playing a game with these unidentified jams will lead to game corruption. So far, I've experienced my Sims not being able to interact with one another for a few sim days. When clicking on one sim to engage with another, I get a grey box with the Sim's name and no interaction choices. A couple weeks ago, I posted about it on this thread. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12761577/#Comment_12761577- I don't know if these two bugs are related, just noting the additional frustration." ( Copied from my earlier post.)

I can confirm that having unidentified jams in my Sim's inventory is directly tied to to corruption of my Sim's "Social Interactions". Recently two of my Sim's family members could not interact with each other, when I clicked on one to engage with the other, NO social interactions were available, only the appearance of Sim's name inside a grey box. Each of these two Sims had unidentified jams in their inventories, leftover from testing jars which travel with Sims in World Adventures. Remembering this, I went into their inventories and sold the jars of invisible jams to clear the jars from their inventories. Once the invisible/bugged jars were removed, my Sim's "Social Interaction Menu" became functional again.

This finding can be further broken down...

1) Two Test Sims, Jane and Mary, each with bugged jars of jam in their personal inventories Jane can not interact with Mary. And vise versa.
    2) Remove bugged jams ONLY from Jane's inventory. Jane may now interact with Mary. However, Mary can not interact with Jane.
    3) Remove bugged jams from Mary's inventory. Thus both Mary and Jane's inventories are clear of bugged jam. Now they may interact with
    . one another, having exchanges back and forth.

Weeks ago when I posted about my Sim's social interactions issue in the link above, I had Grandma's Canning Station on the lot I was playing. This lot was downloaded from the exchange and came with the Canning Station. Also, there were hospitality jars of jams included, all with missing thumbnails and descriptions. In time, I moved my Sims which caused the game files for the jams in their inventories to become corrupted. Now, I realize their social interactions were bugged because of the corrupted jams. Back then, the social interaction skills corruption was intermittent but I didn't why it would clear up and then return.. I do know, now. It was because of the corrupted jars of jams.

edited October 2014
    @BishopBettie - Thanks for this. It definitely sounds like there's a solid link between the jars and the bugged social interactions you're getting, since deleting them fixed the problem. I haven't been able to replicate this in my own game, which is full of broken jam but hasn't been acting strangely, but that doesn't necessarily mean much, since infamously bugs in this game vary from user to user. I wonder whether it's specific to travelling with the jams, since the WA travel system is know to be screwed up in all kinds of game-breaking ways.

When I asked about game corruption, I was mainly worrying about the irreversible and proliferating damage to the save file, causing it to act weird in all kinds of (often seemingly unrelated) ways, or even preventing it from being opened at all. But obviously your broken interactions area big problem too, even if they can be restored by deleting the jam. I've mentioned them in my thread at Answers HQ:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Grandma-s-Canning-Station-and-game-corruption/m-p/3797121#U3797121

For now, I'm also taking down my farmers' market, as it includes a lot of jam. I would also encourage anyone reading this thread to do the same for their own studios, but I don't want to make a 'noisier' announcement until we know more.

Post edited by GreenCats on
    @Greencats - My Sims loosing the ability to socially interact developed before my sims ever travelled via World Adventures. In addition, it happened after traveling via WA because traveling with jams causes the jams to loose thumbnails and descriptions.

Initially, I had a small household of two Sims living on a lot downloaded from the exchange which had premade invisible jams. The Sims did not come from the exchange, only the house. Shortly after settling in, they adopted a horse. After roughly three weeks, one of my Sims,the cook in the household, developed the inability to socially interact with the other household Sim. Also, she could not interact with other Sims in town, she could perform just one social interaction- "Friendly Introduction:". She developed this social glitch before anyone traveled via WA. In time, this issue went away, and she could once again interact normally.

The outstanding question is," Did this Sim have invisible jam in her personal inventory?" I don't remember. I do know she tried to eat the premade unidentifiable jams in the house, using the "Eat With Scones" and it forced her to reset. This surprised me so I had her repeat the action several times. Being the cook in the household it was likely that she eventually had good/ fresh jam in her inventory. I believe I did move this household in and out of the same house via edit town, thus causing the jam in her inventory to become invisible/bugged.

I believe her social interaction issue resolved itself because eventually I had her "Eat With Toast" all the "invisible" jam in her inventory as I avoided the "Eat With Scones" interaction which would cause her to reset. Anyway, my point is this all happened before travelling via WA. But I did have a horse in the household, and soon enough-- two horses. Maybe having horses along with the corrupted jams caused the social interaction glitch?

These last several days I produced invisible jars in my Sim's inventory just to perform tests. One bad batch of jam was produced by saving my Sim with jam to the library, and then reloading her. Another way... was to pack up my Sim with jars of jam and send her on a trip via WA. I made new saves for different scenarios. The social interaction glitch returned. But it was readily resolved by removing the "invisable" jars from my Sim's personal inventory.

I believe, provided I keep the invisible jars out of my Sim's inventory,I will be able to enjoy my game with this household (and lot) without major issue. Everything else is working fine, even traveling via World Adventure s, and training horses. I 'm really grateful to you Greencat's for creating this thread and continuing to tend it. I'm relatively new to game glitches and understanding the severity and terminology. You are wise to use some measure of reserve before making announcements. I'll let you know if I discover something new.
    edited October 2014
    @BishopBettie - My apologies for misunderstanding about when the world adventures travel took place.

Thanks for continuing to provide all this information and doing all the tests in your game. It sounds like you've been very thorough.

No response at Answers HQ yet, but one person did hit the 'me too' button to indicate they have the problem in their game too. I'll update this thread when I know something, since I'm aware a lot of people who posts here don't use that site.

Apologies for the delay. Still no response at Answers HQ so now I'm trying Mod the Sims.

http://linna.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=541713

There are lots of very clever modders who post there so I hoping someone will be able to help us understand the situation.
  • hollykathollykat Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I've had jams turn invisible, and I've also had the social interaction problem with two Sims who had invisible jams. I'll try selling them all and see what happens.
    edited November 2014
    Thank you, @hollykat. It is really, really useful to know that multiple people have the issue with broken interactions.

I will add that now two people have reported that to my posts at Answers HQ and MtS (although no one has replied to either of them yet).

Edit: I can't get signed into Answers HQ right now for some reason but I've updated the MtS post.
  • RedlawRedlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Given I just got this item. My plan to help reduce issues is to buy a chest and store the jams in them. so if they currpot I can just sell them. But the WA chests are some of the most usefull items lol. Still I hope to try and reduce the issues I have been reading. Plus if I upload anything to the exchange I will remove any jam jars. I just hope it does not glitch at all for me. But ill see.
  • --ginafz9l---ginafz9l- Posts: 330 Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't know if this has been said yet, but I noticed lifesimmer (on youtube) had some problems with her jam. One of her sims had it in their inventory and they couldn't interact with other sims or go to other sims houses

-edit-

Have a look HERE too.
    Thanks very much, guys. This is really helpful information. Still no answer at Answers HQ or MtS. I'm really starting to think we won't get an explanation for this. MtS has a strict no bumping policy, but I've given the Answers HQ thread a little nudge. Here it is again: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Big-problems-with-Grandma-s-Canning-Station-Please-help/m-p/4106319#M18258

If you have the time, please do hit the 'me too' button and feel free to add anything I've missed.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Answers HQ is set up like Technical forums here. The answers are from other players. I wouldn't have a lot of hope that they will be able to tell you more. But you never know your luck.
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Just saw this thread and I've experienced the broken interactions when my sim had jam in her inventory.
    With me it only happened when she travelled, once in France the preserves were blanked out in her inventory and she could not interact with her husband. She could talk to him again back in the home world, but all the jam remained useless.
    Same thing happened again on a trip to Egypt.
    I don't hold out much hope of this glitch ever being fixed now.