Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TSR Workshop for Sims 4

Hi everyone!

We get lots of questions about TSR Workshop and Sims 4 so I will share our plans with you all here.

If you are unfamiliar with TSR Workshop, it is a Custom Content tool that we at TSR developed several years ago to provide any type of CC for Sims 3 and it is now used by a vast majority of all artists creating for Sims 3. It has always been free for anyone to use and that will not change for Sims 4.

So, for all of you that have grown used to working with TSR Workshop in Sims 3 we have some great news to share!

TSR workshop is well underway for Sims 4 and it will be released shortly after the game is out. And here's the best news: nothing will change! Yes that's right, you will use the very same tool in Sims 4 as you do in Sims 3 to create anything from clothing to objects and hairstyles and more - all in one powerful tool with a live 3D preview of your work in progress and a user-friendly interface that you're already familiar with.

So if you plan to create for Sims 4, why not download TSR Workshop and familiarize yourself with the interface and create something for Sims 3? All of you already using our tool will have a head start once the new game and TSR Workshop is released.

You can read more about TSR Workshop and download it here: http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop/
For tutorials and reference guides related to Sims 3 you can go here: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Category:TSR_Workshop

We look forward to see what you can create in Sims 4!

Comments

• Options
    FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    So this means that soon after the release we will all be able to actually create hairstyles, objects and recolor things? It is already confirmed that modding and adding these items will definitely be possible? Because that is excellent news. Thing that gets me most about TS4 is the lack of hairstyles (as well as missing dishwashers and trash compactors and ofcourse swimming pools and toddlers). It would be amazing if we would get more clothes, hair and furniture soon after the release. Is the release of the TS4-workshop planned for september or will we have to wait longer than that?
  • Options
    ThomasTSRThomasTSR Posts: 14 New Member
    As it stands we will prioritize clothing first, after that comes hairstyles, objects and everything else. There will be a closed beta period for a group of handpicked/experienced Artists throughout the community (including our own Featured and Select Artists) until we feel comfortable with releasing a public version that we know will not create faulty CC.

Those Artists will however upload their creations during the beta for everyone to download at TSR shortly after the game is out, so yes there will be CC available when the game comes out or shortly thereafter. A few weeks after release we should have unlocked all creation types so you'll see objects, hairstyles, makeup, accessories etc coming out during September/October and beyond.

We can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! :)
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Thank you so much for this!
  • Options
    jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2014
    TSR is one of the few pay sites. Keep that in mind. The motivation is not purely your enjoyment.

And.. I've been known to be a member for a month here and there. :)
  • Options
    LaudeLaude Posts: 640 Member
    jtravers88 wrote: »
    TSR is one of the few pay sites. Keep that in mind. The motivation is not purely your enjoyment.

Now all the downloads are free. You only pay if you want, a membership.
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited August 2014
    FOS4KOF wrote: »
    So this means that soon after the release we will all be able to actually create hairstyles, objects and recolor things?

You can already recolor things in the demo... http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=265 (in active development but works). Plenty of recolors including hair recolors, body hair, eyes etc already available :)

We always need more tools of course. The tool developers have been updating the Sims 4 technical wikis; hoping that the folks working on TSRW will be joining in that effort, as they did (eventually) for TS3, so that there will be a wide array of modding tools to choose from :)
    Laude wrote: »

TSR is still a for-profit site -- a business. But there have been at times useful collaborations between its tool developers and the wider not-for-profit modding tools community :) Let's hope that continues!
  • Options
    jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    Laude wrote: »

My apologies but what is the membership for if everything on the site is free?

• Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    My apologies but what is the membership for if everything on the site is free?

Since we're on a website talking about another website I figure you could probably pull up the site and have looked but it seems you didn't want to. Downloads are free now (I didn't know that, haven't checked the site in ages, makes me less annoyed that I lost all my sims2 files) but there are going to obviously be benefits to members who pay.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    gsmythegsmythe Posts: 8 New Member
    Will downloads stay free? Making them free that late in sims 3 after everyone that would have bought them already had already done so is like ea giving away ts2 now after all this time. Oh wait that did happen. But then again, s4 is returning at high prices and nothing new. Maybe try and talk about the undeveloped tool instead of pretending that the proprietors are some benevolent savior :)
  • Options
    RICCI288282RICCI288282 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2014
    TSR is no longer a paysite. All Downloads are free and will continue to be free. The Membership is only if you don't want ads. TSR has a huge data base and in order to pay for the site, as it takes a lot to run a site that size, they do have ads on site. The membership is so that you can have no ads, the download basket, things like that. But TSR is NO LONGER a pay site. Everything is free to download and will continue as is. In fact we are now expanding to skins, poses, and simple mods (No core mods).

TSR wants to make sure Workshop is running properly and has all the tools necessary to give everyone the best options it can. This is by no means an underdeveloped or undeveloped tool. Tools will be on both sides as it has always been. You have a choice. No one is saying that Workshop is the "Savior" of tools. They are saying that there will be more than one option available. We fault no one for their choices.

As for collaboration The tool programmer (Who is a programmer by profession) will be posting findings to the wiki as he did in sims 3. Since some things are going to change from the demo to when the game actually comes out we are waiting for the opportunity to actually see game files or get the documentation before posting. We are all part of the same community here. :)
  • Options
    FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    TSR has been a pay site for a long time, as have many other sites. It has been free for some time now. Before it was free I was a paying member. Everyone can decide for themselves if they want to join a pay site or pay for content or not. It's not like EA is not extorting money for virtually every single item. I'm willing to bet dishwashers and trashcompactors will be pay items, possibly costing up to US$10 each, based on the pricing of Simcity items. Paying a small fee to get thousands of items is not something I worry about and I usually spend multiple days finding en downloading custom content before actually starting a game :)
  • Options
    Pluto13JonesPluto13Jones Posts: 5 New Member
    I love TSR! I always get premium. Easier to download stuff ^-^ Can't wait for the new version! You guys rock! :)
  • Options
    QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    I always thought TSRW was confusing, but that's just me
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,234 Member
    ThomasTSR wrote: »
    And here's the best news: nothing will change! Yes that's right, you will use the very same tool in Sims 4 as you do in Sims 3 to create anything from clothing to objects and hairstyles and more - all in one powerful tool with a live 3D preview of your work in progress and a user-friendly interface that you're already familiar with.

Thank you very much :) !

• Options
    AnoeskaBAnoeskaB Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Quelsimmy said:
    > I always thought TSRW was confusing, but that's just me

If there is something you find confusing about TSR Workshop, then please tell what it is that is confusing. The intention is that the tool is made in such a way that it should be easy for beginning creators to use, while also giving more experienced creators the option to edit more complex parts of the creation. :)
  • Options
    TSR is and will remain a free site and service, so will our tools - anyone claiming the opposite clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

At TSR we even share our success and profits with our Featured Artists, a benefit any aspiring Sims Artist can achieve simply by submitting to TSR and strive to become one of the best Artists in the community. We even provide the tools, guides and feedback you need to flourish as an Artist, all for free.

We are in fact proud to be able to provide all these great services, tools and content in a professional capacity for free, to everyone's benefit.
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Excellent, I was hoping something would come out!
  • Options
    Divasimmer1913Divasimmer1913 Posts: 11 New Member
    Can MAC users use this software??
  • Options
    QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    The game will probably not release for Mac (or no plans for now) so I don't see why you would create cc for a game you can't play?
  • Options
    This will be PC only for now since the game is only available on that platform.
  • Options
    AlouetteDunsmoreAlouetteDunsmore Posts: 260 Member
    I'm nearly hyperventilating from excitement! I love CC everything!
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    What I dislike about TSR Workshop is that it's only compatible with Photoshop. I'm not willing to "rent" Photoshop just to use TSR Workshop. When you make it compatible to other formats, then I may re-consider.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I have paint shop pro. Maybe I will try this GIMP
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    AnoeskaBAnoeskaB Posts: 5 New Member
    TSR Workshop has always been compatible with other graphic programs. You can also use Paint Shop Pro, but for dds import you'll need the dds plugin (just as you'll need the dds plugin for Gimp). I can't post any links yet, but google Paint Shop Pro dds plugin or Gimp dds plugin to find them.

Alternatively, you can also use .png or .tif images. In that case they'll be converted to dds by Workshop.