Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would TS4 look if they didn't cater to low end pc?

Comments

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    deibreak wrote:
    I actually posted this in another thread.

I don't think super realistic sims would work in the franchise, even though I would love it, but the sims can be stylized and still have high detail. I think the graphics for sims 4 could have been this good and I honestly thought they would have gone this direction at least with it. I really think if they had more time they could have put a game out with high detail graphics like this.

Just look at how nice the detail is in the stylized game Bioshock Infinite.

ybzaxkS.jpg

Pic44-1024x576.jpg

bioshock-infinite-elizabeth-wallpaper-7.jpg

BioShock_Infinite_13509245357308.jpg

There is a good balance in that game.

This is a mock up of what sims 4 sims could look like with cc, and while i like the look I wonder how the exaggerated emotions would look on a sim like this
    TheSims4-CustomContent.jpg

the orignal image thesims4cc1-300x300.jpg

Wow..amazing.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member
    edited July 2014
    That CC sim is like exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not much for stylized. I think it's a little too childish for my liking. I'm not looking for a cartoon. But I really do like the CC'd sim. Put him in the Sims 3 environment and I'd have my perfect sims 4. Honestly I'm not sure how realistic CC would look with Sims 4. Especially with the rest of their world looking like plastic.

It really sucks that all the amazing environmental aspects of Sims 3 basically just got tossed out. I honestly didn't think they had to do much with how the world looked because I thought they were absolutely stunning! Maybe a little bit better textures for rocks and stuff and better lighting effects sometimes but other than that I thought the world's for Sims 3 were close to perfect.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited July 2014
    The graphics could look almost photo realistic.

To those saying the game can't handle it. Remember that (For example) in The Sims 3 them game offloads almost nothing to the graphics card. If EAxis programmed the game properly then we could have fantastic, realistic graphics and still have the full implemented AI.

The meshes could easily be made scalable (polygon wise) to cater for differnet peoples PCs specifications...

Some examples of what we could have got:

tumblr_mndnsl3C2h1sptfdqo1_500-1.jpg

tumblr_moo3wb2Hwg1s123w8o1_1280.jpg

nwde7m.jpg

00.jpg

I am flattered you used my art as example..I made that a while ago. I don't do 3D art anymore. The one with Do you mean I didn't get the Sims 4 job...

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    gamekitten wrote:
    The graphics could look almost photo realistic.

To those saying the game can't handle it. Remember that (For example) in The Sims 3 them game offloads almost nothing to the graphics card. If EAxis programmed the game properly then we could have fantastic, realistic graphics and still have the full implemented AI.

The meshes could easily be made scalable (polygon wise) to cater for differnet peoples PCs specifications...

Some examples of what we could have got:

tumblr_mndnsl3C2h1sptfdqo1_500-1.jpg

nwde7m.jpg

00.jpg

I am flattered you used my art as example..I made that a while ago. I don't do 3D art anymore. The one with Do you mean I didn't get the Sims 4 job...

Thank you.
    Wow. :shock: Amazing.
  • Options
    SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member
    edited July 2014
    Honestly take these types of sims...

Screenshot-10.jpg

DaisukeYamada.jpg

Hikari_face.jpg

AbigailBronsworth_2.jpg

tumblr_lonus7dbpj1r0nwxeo1_500.jpg

And put them in this type of environment:
    thesims3-couch.jpg
    And I'd be a happy simmer. This would probably be my perfect sims game, graphically speaking of course.

...... And uh..... just add this little beauty as like a poster or something..... My sims need a little eye candy too. lol.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    MapiyaSims wrote:
    CK213 wrote:
    Screenshot-1971.jpg

She is very cute! I was happy with TS3 Sims once I got CC hair and skins too. That look would have been great for TS4.

Yeah CC skin and hair saved my life :lol:

It's the only way my sims can look more realistic and defined.
  • Options
    deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 2014
    I with you on the cc, I couldn't play the game without it once I got skins and sliders. The sims 3 sims were horrible looking without to me personally.

I wouldn't have been able to make sims like this without CC and sliders.

2h4cj04.jpg

2n0vo07.jpg

2vtvf9e.jpg

28gui6h.jpg

2v9c0aw.jpg
  • Options
    FrostFlowerFrostFlower Posts: 42 New Member
    edited July 2014
    The blonde girl with the pigtails is about what I was hoping for--to me, she looks "real" but not so real I'd feel creepy watching her shower or woohoo or accidentally set her butt on fire while inventing something.

Honestly, that Sims 4 picture with the CC mockup looks pretty good. I think even if they wanted to do the (over)exaggerated emotions like they're doing, something like that could still have worked. I'd have been quite happy with that, actually. The problem is that the clothing and furniture textures all look so dang rubbery that I think Sims with custom content will look like they don't belong. I haven't seen a sofa or chair yet that looks like it has an actual cushion on it--they all seem molded out of plastic and look super uncomfortable.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The blonde girl with the pigtails is about what I was hoping for--to me, she looks "real" but not so real I'd feel creepy watching her shower or woohoo or accidentally set her butt on fire while inventing something.

Honestly, that Sims 4 picture with the CC mockup looks pretty good. I think even if they wanted to do the (over)exaggerated emotions like they're doing, something like that could still have worked. I'd have been quite happy with that, actually. The problem is that the clothing and furniture textures all look so dang rubbery that I think Sims with custom content will look like they don't belong. I haven't seen a sofa or chair yet that looks like it has an actual cushion on it--they all seem molded out of plastic and look super uncomfortable.

It makes me think if the barbie girl song the design of things in TS4.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A
  • Options
    HaphronHaphron Posts: 252 Member
    edited July 2014
    0_0z.jpg

0_0z1.jpg
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    CGI characters are very interesting right now, anno 2017. Today's video game characters are too real to be really artificial, but too artificial to be truly real.
    Either way, today's games are definitely doing a very good job of avoiding the uncanny valley - despite the questionable animations still seen in most games - but on static images, the characters look A LOT less creepy than renders such as the one in the post above. If there's anything particularly unrealistic about these characters, it's probably that hair still looks too flat, and that skin looks too greasy.

just-cause-3-Screenshot-Original1.jpgkanden.jpg
    1.0.jpg

And the funny thing is, it's perfectly possible to somewhat replicate this aesthetic in TS3, despite the dated shaders. Obviously the skin doesn't shine as nicely, and the eyes are still flat textures, but there's definitely more life in my Sims than in TS3 and in TS4's default Sims.

3zY0lNn.png
    oLmZiz4.jpg
    HB8BG3X.png

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Because there are a lot more "low end" PCs than high end, there wouldn't be a Sims 4.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Because there are a lot more "low end" PCs than high end, there wouldn't be a Sims 4.

Not so, most of the simmers I know already run high end machines. I do. Wouldn't run a low end pc - ever!!!!!
    Nor would most serious gamers and yes some serious gamers also like to kick back and play the Sims. It is relaxing and occasionally makes you laugh.

I look at it this way - I do not want to see a game come out anywhere that strikes my interest and I couldn't play because of an inadequate machine. I also upgrade every two years or so - so that is never an issue. But keep in mind I don't waste money on anything else but my pc and top notch internet. Besides who want to play on a machine and deal with crashes, freezing, lag and all the tons of other complaints we see here where the majority are due to cheap pcs. I had no issues in any of the Sims games. I like it that way. I just cannot understand that mind thought as the technology to have enjoyable experiences is out there - so to me it makes no sense to choose a pc that is sure to give you game issues instead of one where game issues are unusual. If I do see an issue - 99 times out of 100 it is an issue in the game and not due to the pc. If it is due to my pc then generally that is because some component is failing (which is extremely rare for me as I stay right on pc maintenance weekly and generally nothing is ever old in my pc so I rarely have anything that is not still covered by a warrantee. You buy good equipment you get good warantees and always register your components.

Personally I have hoped they would build the Sims 4 on EA's Frostbyte 3 engine - and was really disappointed they didn't. In fact many of my friends agreed they too were disappointed. I hope one day Maxis wisens up and finally does put Sims on Frostbyte 3 - then the game will look like people want it to look. All EA's big games are on that engine - I think after 18 years Sims should get that engine too.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    @Writin_Reg I think you being unfair here. I know lots of people, who play on low tech computers or at least not gaming computers. You have to remember that each of them will have their reasons for it. I play Sims 4 on my macbook pro, which is FAR away from a gaming computer. I needed one for university as my uni onky had MacBooks and recommended getting one for the programms. As a student, I am not able to pay for two computers just for a game. Also, I am not a gamer. The only game I play is the sims since Sims 1. I love this game, but I am not gonna spend money that I don't have on a computer for 1 game. I would be gutted, if I weren't able to play it anymore. I understand, why you want the game to be the best technological wise, but remember that lots of non-gamers play it. That's why I loved the lightning update, which can be turned off for people with bad computers and on for the gaming computers. I am okay with some bugs and lag, as long as I can still play :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Well Andrew Wilson did say he wanted all the EA games on the in house game engine - which is Frostbyte 3 - and I will be happy when that happens. I have been a gamer a real long time - I have heard your argument over just about every person who gamed at one time or other, I said it myself a time or two - but the fact remains when people love a game enough they eventually do get the equipment they need to play the games they love because once you are a big fan of something it is like an addiction and you just have to have it. (Most game companies do not hold back on technology, and frankly I am surprised Maxis did.)

Technology waits for no one. But probably as many who also love the game got tired of all the issues by using lesser machines moved up to better equipment because the game itself always moves forward, so sooner or later eventually the older cheaper pcs won't play the game anyway. I simply say for me it can't happen soon enough.

Do you really want a repeat of hearing things we want in the game are difficult all the time because they choose a lesser engine to keep the lesser pcs ability to run the game? I know some gamers who have better equipment than I do - who loved the game as much as I do - who gave up waiting because their play style they had for all the Sims games still are not even in this game after 3 years. Is that fair for them?

With frost byte we could have real roads and real maps, tools for building our terrains and maps, frostbyte has a weather system built right in the engine... I mean really we need frost byte 3 which does mean you can't play on a potato. I want my friends to come back to the series. Fairness goes both ways in my view. Look how many are thinking they can get a CAW and get Cars - hanging on and waiting for these things. It's sad when the rest of them must sacrifice the game they enjoy no longer because these kind of things are too difficult on a lesser game engine.

Toddlers brought some of them back but not a single one of those I know well . I love the sims play as much as the missing things unlike many of them so I am here - but even I got close thanks to all the missing.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    The Sims will never advance with today's technology if EA keeps catering to Win XP computers. :s I wanna see how a Sims game look that is catered to a high end pcs only. Maybe EA should start making 2 versions that cater to both.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2017
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Thank you guys! I was just curious.

GTA has really nice graphics. I would love to see that one day.

GTA_5_PC_57721.jpg

And Sims City has a nice look as well.

(I'm guessing this is the new Sims City?)

SimCity-5.png

sim-city-2013-game.png

That would be so neat. I'm hoping when they finally do update the Sims Game that it is open neighborhoods. That is my one wish because I hate S4 closed ones. I feel like I'm the God of my game looking down over the whole of the Sims3 and I feel like I'm not playing with life at all in S4. They have added some cool things like the fastness of saving and CAS that I love. I love being able to easily copy Sims I'm not in control of and adding them to my library instead of S3 way of getting them in your household to make a copy. Also, building and all that comes with it has improved majorly. If it wasn't so closed and piecemeal with the packs. When you got an EP with S3, it took a bunch of time to get through everything and now, a few times playing and you know it all. I personally, love the looks of the picture above and with open hoods, it would be neat. :)

• Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Not so, most of the simmers I know already run high end machines. I do. Wouldn't run a low end pc - ever!!!!!
    Nor would most serious gamers and yes some serious gamers also like to kick back and play the Sims. It is relaxing and occasionally makes you laugh.

I look at it this way - I do not want to see a game come out anywhere that strikes my interest and I couldn't play because of an inadequate machine. I also upgrade every two years or so - so that is never an issue. But keep in mind I don't waste money on anything else but my pc and top notch internet. Besides who want to play on a machine and deal with crashes, freezing, lag and all the tons of other complaints we see here where the majority are due to cheap pcs. I had no issues in any of the Sims games. I like it that way. I just cannot understand that mind thought as the technology to have enjoyable experiences is out there - so to me it makes no sense to choose a pc that is sure to give you game issues instead of one where game issues are unusual. If I do see an issue - 99 times out of 100 it is an issue in the game and not due to the pc. If it is due to my pc then generally that is because some component is failing (which is extremely rare for me as I stay right on pc maintenance weekly and generally nothing is ever old in my pc so I rarely have anything that is not still covered by a warrantee. You buy good equipment you get good warantees and always register your components.

Personally I have hoped they would build the Sims 4 on EA's Frostbyte 3 engine - and was really disappointed they didn't. In fact many of my friends agreed they too were disappointed. I hope one day Maxis wisens up and finally does put Sims on Frostbyte 3 - then the game will look like people want it to look. All EA's big games are on that engine - I think after 18 years Sims should get that engine too.

Well said. I don't buy new computers that often, but when I went to get a new one several years ago, I asked for a gaming computer for hard gaming and I don't regret it. :p I've had this computer for many years and it is still cutting edge with the Widows upgrades. If I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on a computer, then I'm going to buy something that lasts. Some things you buy cheap, but computers isn't one of them if you are smart and have the choice. If you don't, then I understand that you get what you can.

I, like you, had no problems with Sims 3 and I thoroughly believe that nearly all the problems came from Mods, cc, and low end computers. I never used mods and all I know is that I took out almost all cc except for maybe 5 things and from the time Sims3 Supernatural came out and through today I haven't had but one crash and that was due to laying a lot of payment tiles and I think it just got mixed up with a blue screen something or other. Playing high end games should require an up to date computer. It doesn't have to be the best, but it should keep up with the standards that today's games have. As you say, the Sims game doesn't and that is something that I hated finding out about S4 also.

When S5 comes out several years down the road, I hope that it is open world first and foremost and is up to today's standard. B)
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Well Andrew Wilson did say he wanted all the EA games on the in house game engine - which is Frostbyte 3

With frost byte we could have real roads and real maps, tools for building our terrains and maps, frostbyte has a weather system built right in the engine...

Didn't know any of this; thanks for sharing. I understand some not being able to afford it, but also, as you said, technology waits for no one, which is true. I can't believe what you said about what we could have; it makes my mouth water just like it did the first time I saw the Sims3 Seasons trailer and nothing has done that in a long time. So exciting; if there was a petition for that in the ideas forum, I would sign it even if I did have to get another computer, which I don't think I would. I REALLY miss open neighborhoods. I can't say it enough. I am starting to get a hankering for playing Sims again, but it isn't Sims4. On a computer that plays good, Sims4 just can't beat Sims3 in my estimation. CAS, the ability to copy non-playable sims into the library, and some of the build tools ect. are the things I love about S4, but right about now Seasons or something of that nature is what I think this game needs. With S3 we got pets with horses(which I didn't play much included) and with S4 we get cats/dogs and who knows about minor pets. Hate closed houses/hoods and piecemeal packs. Thanks for letting me know about what is possible with Frostbyte 3; I certainly will be thinking about this for quiet a while. :)
    The blonde girl with the pigtails is about what I was hoping for--

YES! So perfect. >:)

Post edited by davina1221 on
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    I feel they would have went with the same art style for the most part but with more beefed up graphics. Basically it would look like the game Saints Row 4 which has animated hairstyles also.
  • Options
    This thread is so old guys. I can't believe it was revived. :*:p
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Every truly successful game aims for the top not the bottom. But well its EAs decision where they wanna be.

As usual the "lets save money and include low specs players" idea ended in costing more money and crippling the performance later in the process. They're so into this, one might think they will abandon the PC and stick to free handy games instead.
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited June 2017
    Nelus wrote: »
    Every truly successful game aims for the top not the bottom. But well its EAs decision where they wanna be.
    That's true. I understand that EA aims for a younger demographic with less to spend, but why don't they just stick to the mobile games so that the gamers can have their own, serious title. TS4 takes a Core 2 Duo, a CPU from 2006, a GeForce 6600, a card from 2004(!), and 2 gigs of RAM to run. That's not bad, that's bloody awful.

A PC like my last one could run TS4 reasonably well. Ultra settings, stable framerate and little to no lag. That PC was less powerful than today's mid-range laptops. Today's $500-800 laptops. If you can't afford to save up for a few months to buy a $500 laptop, why should you get to make the rules?

And did someone say "free handy"...?
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2017
    At this point, I don't really care how realistic or ultra-beautiful the graphics look.

For example, Sims 3 was gorgeous (especially with CC), but it never engaged me like the old Sims games (1 and 2) did.

I simetimes play indie games (or retro games) that don't always have the best graphics, but they can still engage me.

Sims 3 and 4 were just not engaging for me.

I just... want gameplay and proper Sims AI.

I would prefer tech that advanced the sims AI and simulation than just making pretty graphics. I need gameplay and attention to gameplay detail sooo bad.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    At this point, I don't really care how realistic or ultra-beautiful the graphics look.

For example, Sims 3 was gorgeous (especially with CC), but it never engaged me like the old Sims games (1 and 2) did.

I simetimes play indie games (or retro games) that don't always have the best graphics, but they can still engage me.

Sims 3 and 4 were just not engaging for me.

I just... want gameplay and proper Sims AI.

I would prefer tech that advanced the sims AI and simulation than just making pretty graphics. I need gameplay and attention to gameplay detail sooo bad.

I can understand what you mean. Sims 2 is my favorite. But why can't we have both? I still want everything TS2 had with TS3 openworld and maybe TS4 multitask. But I don't know about the multitask because it limits so much for the game. They havent mastered it yet.