Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Winterizing the Stones Throw Greenhouse **Updated 12/07**

SimGuruCopelandSimGuruCopeland Posts: 741 Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
Please see updates here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/623591.page#9935706

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While the testing for the new roof pieces was quite successful, the process for a quick re-install for venues ran into a few road bumps. However, we are still looking to have something out very soon.

I know “soon” isn't as specific as anyone wants to hear (myself included) but we’re continuing to work on this issue diligently and I’ll let you know as soon as I know something more specific.

The Store team has been testing on the new roof pieces to keep out the elements and address the dormancy issue and it is going well. However, since this is the first time that the Store has ever tried to repost a venue, we’re doing some extra testing to ensure we haven’t introduced other problems. The engineers are working on a way to make the install as smooth as possible for both new purchases and players that have downloaded the venue already.

Also, for those of you who’ve been asking, the reason the Greenhouse hasn’t been taken down is because there is a large percentage of players that don’t have Seasons, but still want the clothing, set, planter, Gardening Station and Sunflower that are available with the venue.

I’ll give you all another update soon. Thank you for your patience!

I wanted to give another quick update.
We have a solution that looks very promising and is presently being tested. We are focused on the following:

• Making sure the elements don’t appear indoors
• Plants dormancy issue
• Countering the unfinished room moodlet

If we’re able to verify this is a successful solution (ETA is sometime next week) we will repost the venue to be downloaded.

In the meantime, a couple of people mentioned the tutorial below was a little confusing for individuals not familiar with building, so I got permission to upload a copy of my example to the Exchange. Please keep in mind, similar to before, that this isn’t an “official EA fix” or anything of the sort. It’s just something I put together to help keep snow from accumulating indoors and arranging the plants so most of them don't go dormant.

LINK: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6656518&ref=nf

Hey folks… just wanted to give you a quick update.

The team has identified a couple of potential resolutions to the “leaky roof” problem and we’re exploring them now. If we verify that we’ve got a result that works (and doesn’t break anything else), we will update everyone on how that would be distributed.

I’ll keep you apprised on this thread.

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    AngelzzzDaydream0AngelzzzDaydream0 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thank you so much for that post! I was about to buy the greenhouse and try to figure out how to winterize it. This made it 100% easier! And I like the quaint lil nook you made too! Great idea! :D
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited November 2012
    That is something like what I did on my sim's lot. I put food registers in the bar area.

Thanks for the ideas, wish we could have the Sims 2 greenhouse roof again. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thank you for the post.

Question is will the lot be updated in the store file in the near future?
  • Options
    CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited November 2012
    thanks for taking the time to do this. any idea how long it might take to patch the items so that they stop the snow without us having to do creative building to get around it?

I intend to wait till then to buy this set.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    AznSensei wrote:
    Thank you for the post.

Question is will the lot be updated in the store file in the near future?

We're looking into a couple of different options at the moment. I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear something definitive.
  • Options
    piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the tips! I built a cute greenhouse for my gardening fairy family. But it kept snowing inside. I spent forever trying to figure out what I did wrong. :lol: At least I know now that it wasn't something that I did.

• Options
    BlueMarrilBlueMarril Posts: 234
    edited November 2012
    Thank you so much for this! ^_^
    I love the idea of including a kitchen in there, ever since putting the Greenhouse onto a lot; it seems to of attracted a lot of the neighbourhood sims, so they'd need a place to have a snack and get out of the cold for a while.

And just to say that I really really do adore this set, the Store team have done an excellent job and the venue looks amazing with Seasons; especially in those winter pics!
  • Options
    aparkisonaparkison Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2012
    @SimGuruCopeland: I notice you have a full kitchen with stove in your photos. I thought we couldn't put stoves or cook with them on Community Lots without mods.

As someone who relies on mods to do this...can you explain how you did that or is your lot zoned as residential? Or is this something only available to developers?

This is functionality we really need in the game without relying on modders for those of us who like to have apartments over businesses in the game or to simulate restaurants.

I can't wait to get this set by the way after I get Seasons for Christmas. Y'all have really outdone yourselves lately! :D
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited November 2012
    let me know when both the roof is fixed and boku .... happily anticipating a fix for both.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    aparkison wrote:
    @SimGuruCopeland: I notice you have a full kitchen with stove in your photos. I thought we couldn't put stoves or cook with them on Community Lots without mods.

As someone who relies on mods to do this...can you explain how you did that or is your lot zoned as residential? Or is this something only available to developers?

This is functionality we really need in the game without relying on modders for those of us who like to have apartments over businesses in the game or to simulate restaurants.

I can't wait to get this set by the way after I get Seasons for Christmas. Y'all have really outdone yourselves lately! :D

Well, I just grabbed my latest save file, where I had changed the lot to residential so I could move my Sim in. I'm converting it into my Sim's dream home. I'll probably switch out the bar for the Teppanyaki Grill soon. I'm also putting in steps so I can have a loft area on the second floor. I'll see if I can get permission to post it on the exchange or at the very least get some decent pictures when I'm done.

I love this little spot in Hidden Springs with the giant waterfall behind it.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited November 2012
    aparkison wrote:

Well, I just grabbed my latest save file, where I had changed the lot to residential so I could move my Sim in. I'm converting it into my Sim's dream home. I'll probably switch out the bar for the Teppanyaki Grill soon. I'm also putting in steps so I can have a loft area on the second floor. I'll see if I can get permission to post it on the exchange or at the very least get some decent pictures when I'm done.

I love this little spot in Hidden Springs with the giant waterfall behind it.

That's brilliant! :) I actually thought it would make a gorgeous house for a green thumbed sim.

Thanks for the tips by the way.

And don't let the haters get your team down - it's a beautiful venue and I love pretty much everything about it. Great work! :)
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    Snakefire30Snakefire30 Posts: 473 Member
    edited November 2012
    Will that also keep rain out? I bought the Stones Throw Greenhouse Set and built a a small greenhouse on my Sim's home lot. Its still summer and he got the drenched moodlet when I had him fertilize plants inside the greenhouse when it was raining outside.
  • Options
    reinmagreinmag Posts: 684 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I think I had luck with using Murano's glass floors (will get it really raining hard to see for sure), but also there is Inge's glass floors to use so you can add them just above the area that is letting the snow/rain in.

Looking forward to the patch. :)
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thank you for the update but why wasn't this tested before release ?.
  • Options
    BlueMarrilBlueMarril Posts: 234
    edited November 2012
    aparkison wrote:

I know that there's a workaround with the blueprint mode when you go into Build/ Buy mode via Edit Town.

All you have to do is pick one of the fully furnished kitchen templates, preview it and select okay, then remodel the room to how you want it to look and get rid of anything that you don't need.
    As far as I know, an oven kept within the community lot should still be treated as a community lot.
  • Options
    DreghertDreghert Posts: 16 New Member
    edited November 2012
    There are other issues with indoor gardening, beyond the trouble with the roofs.

1. Leaving the floor bare gives you a negative moodlet. (Unfinished) Not a big deal, but kinda annoying.

2. you cant plant anything inside without using the moveobjects cheat. Minor issue, but still a concern.

3. Not sure if this is just my game, but any plants I plant during winter end up dormant. Anything planted before winter, however, is fine.
  • Options
    Rhedd_VRhedd_V Posts: 218 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Dreghert wrote:
    There are other issues with indoor gardening, beyond the trouble with the roofs.

1. Leaving the floor bare gives you a negative moodlet. (Unfinished) Not a big deal, but kinda annoying.

2. you cant plant anything inside without using the moveobjects cheat. Minor issue, but still a concern.

3. Not sure if this is just my game, but any plants I plant during winter end up dormant. Anything planted before winter, however, is fine.
    1: Use planters. I notice they kindly included one in the set, so you don't have to own Supernatural to get them anymore.

2: Use planters!

3: That's not good. I guess it's just hard for little plants to get started when it's cold. ^_^
  • Options
    MyrrhawaMyrrhawa Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited November 2012
    SimGuruCopeland & The other SimGurus I just have to say even though this isn't working right . I still LOVE this Venue it is so pretty and for me worth every penny *hug* Thank you all for your hard work <3
    tumblr_nt1u2tH5cj1sicac5o1_500.gif
  • Options
    MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited November 2012
    This is a great fix, it doesn't really change the feel of the greenhouse too much, plus it's great to know that you guys are looking into a more long term solution.

Thanks for getting on top of this so quick. It's good to have such a fast response. I don't have seasons yet (it's currently somewhere in the postal system), but I'm hoping that by the time I do, you might have added this lot to the exchange? :)

• Options
    TwinmumTwinmum Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2012
    Dreghert wrote:

If you delete one panel of wall, you can plant things straight in the ground.
    As for plants going dormant, I found all the plants outside in my garden went dormant, regardless of when they were planted. I moved some of them into planters inside and after a day or so, they returned to a growing state.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm going to be just a little bit cheeky and suggest an invisible or glass floor tile as a free download. :D Please. :D:D
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm going to be just a little bit cheeky and suggest an invisible or glass floor tile as a free download. :D Please. :D:D

I second this idea. :D
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited November 2012

It'd have to be a tile on which snow cannot build up (otherwise you'd have floating snow), but other then that, I agree.
    raw
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited November 2012
    Dreghert wrote:

Thank You Dreghert - this informations I was searching for. I love this set as a decorative item, but that's all. I have buyed this, but I have found, this is fake glasshouse.
    I have waited for traditional glasshouse walls - "glasshouse" which have we obtained - as we should to use normall wals - gives us "INCOMPLETE ROOM" moodlet as we aren't using under the plants and sprinklers paving. :-( And because those are normall base game walls, we can't plant without moveObjects on.
    Demolishing one tile of wall not help, because so we obtain opened room, where cold comes in. This isn't really glasshouse, this is fake glasshouse.
    I haven't downloaded free custom tiles and roof pieces from 3rd parties before, because I 'm prefering original game content, which don't cause problems with game. But I'm making this now, after paying for original items, because I need complete this set for make "glasshouse" work properly.
    EA, please, fix it, this is first set which I was really excited about - and this set don't work as should it. :(
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm still loving the look of this set and my sims are dying to try out the new PC items, but since I'm not a very good builder, I'm gonna refrain from buying it until the roofing problems are solved. I want to be able to build my own greenhouses without ever having to fear snow falling in. Thank you Gurus for working on a fix for this, can't wait for it to be ready and get this set!
    Dreghert wrote:

These things would concern me as well. I know we can use indoor planters, but I feel it's not really a greenhouse then anymore. Hope there will be a fix for these issues as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top