Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alpha City - Cyberpunk World (July 16 update, page 31)

Comments

• Options
    steph_444444steph_444444 Posts: 1,875 Member
    edited January 2012
    Oh, cool! But will it be as slow as a typical large world? Or would it make a noticeable difference in speed by having a small portion of it being playable like this world will be?

I can see why you are doing this, so that you can have more distant background scenery.

I'm not sure what you mean by "slow" since the large map is the size the EA worlds are on. The main difference would be the number of lots, and since I will have about 170, there might be some lag in the more crowded and detailed areas (namely downtown)when playing on less powerful computers. The only way to know for sure is when I release the world for testing, which won't be before late April, at the earliest.
  • Options
    WedWed Posts: 174 Member
    edited January 2012
    I just meant "slow" as in slower than the smaller worlds. My PC is decent, though. Wow, 170? Is that over the standard limit? I had heard that there was a standard limit for lots, but I was not sure. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the beta!
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2012
    steph_444444,

I think I'll download this when its done. It looks really cool. I was thinking about making a futuristic world eventually as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just to say that I'm quite busy and also recently just fixed a problem with my game, so I don't have much progress from the last couple of weeks, but I am still working on the world. A lot of the work I'm doing at the moment is smaller residential lots and "filler" lots, so there isn't much to show. Also, now that I was able to see more about Showtime, I will probably leave a lot of the buildings as shells until it comes out so that I can integrate the futuristic new items that will be available.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok, so I figure I should post an update before my midterms begin and I don't have much time to work on my world again :roll:. Most of the buildings in this update are far from finished, even the shell, but it's just how I work.

Alpha City International Airport (no visitors allowed)
    Unfinished shell, will simply be a "filler" building with no real function.
    Screenshot-287.jpg

Compass Lofts
    In the artist district, and heavily inspired by the Crane Towers in Cologne, Germany.
    Screenshot-288.jpg

Converted warehouse for a criminal gang, in the industrial district.
    Screenshot-289.jpg

The area around the studio. On the left is a filler behind the dance club. The studio will have functional sets for those who like to make stories (such as the interior of a train).
    Screenshot-290.jpg

The slum, in an abandonned construction site. The concrete shell will be a shantytown, while construction trailers will be used as shacks.
    Screenshot-291.jpg

Cleanesque Laundry Ltd.
    Laundromat in the eco section of the city.
    Screenshot-292.jpg

New Wave Community Pool
    Highly unfinished shell, with a CFE "glass" roof. It's between the eco district and the downtown.
    Screenshot-293.jpg

The as of yet unnamed and far from finished art gallery.
    Screenshot-294.jpg

Updated luxury condo area, with a couple of new penthouses.
    Screenshot-295.jpg

Black on White
    The house that's the closest to being completed, which isn't really saying much, considering it's an unfinished shell.
    Screenshot-296.jpg

One of the mansions, essentially a scaled down version of Kaffarov's Villa, from Battlefield 3.
    Screenshot-297.jpg

Plasma Tower
    The highest residence in the city, even higher than the mansions in the hills.
    Screenshot-298.jpg

Alpha City Knowledge Centre
    The library, I will most likely change the windows to double width ones, to reduce the number of objects on the lot.
    Screenshot-299.jpg

Nautilus Hotel & Club
    The poolside club, with a glass pool overlooking the city and the ocean.
    Screenshot-300.jpg

Another of the penthouses, although this one is in the downtown core.
    Screenshot-301.jpg

The vampire lounge. The architecture/design will be very modern, but the fixtures and furnishings will be gothic/baroque.
    Screenshot-302.jpg

Chinatown, which is far from completed. The academy and Chinese garden will be here, as well as a hangout set up as an arcade.
    Screenshot-303.jpg

Diesel Stop Sports Bar
    A Fast Lane/car themed sports bar, between the downtown and old downtown.
    Screenshot-304.jpg
  • Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited February 2012
    This is a pretty fascinating world you have here. You are using the game's objects and tools in a very innovative way; I especially like the signs made from the simple wall paints.
  • Options
    Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Nice update-I'm really looking forward to this thing coming out!
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited February 2012
    Wow, 170? Is that over the standard limit? I had heard that there was a standard limit for lots, but I was not sure. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the beta!

Actually, I don't think there is any official limit on the number of lots. The problem is with more lots, the probability of increasing lag also increases. This is particularly true where there are a lot of custom content lots, as in in this world.

It's usually the custom content lots, rather than custom content objects that creates lag in a world. The main culprits tend to be things like using the move object cheat, placing rabbitholes inside buildings and not being careful about the routing on the lots. These things can really bork a game. Another suspect is use of things like the CFE cheat.

With 170 lots, and particularly lots which make use many building tricks, there is a high probability of problems which will make the world unplayable.

If you really want the world to be cc free and avoid the problems of cc, you really should eliminate the cc lots, and stick to using the premade EA lots.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited February 2012
    That's the first time I've seen tjstreak urge someone to not use CC!

Wow steph_444444 , those are some impressive looking buildings! I particularly love the Plasma Tower!
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    Wow, 170? Is that over the standard limit? I had heard that there was a standard limit for lots, but I was not sure. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the beta!

Actually, I don't think there is any official limit on the number of lots. The problem is with more lots, the probability of increasing lag also increases. This is particularly true where there are a lot of custom content lots, as in in this world.

It's usually the custom content lots, rather than custom content objects that creates lag in a world. The main culprits tend to be things like using the move object cheat, placing rabbitholes inside buildings and not being careful about the routing on the lots. These things can really bork a game. Another suspect is use of things like the CFE cheat.

With 170 lots, and particularly lots which make use many building tricks, there is a high probability of problems which will make the world unplayable.

If you really want the world to be cc free and avoid the problems of cc, you really should eliminate the cc lots, and stick to using the premade EA lots.

There is no CC used in any way, and all the lots are made by me. With premade EA lots, the world would not be the same at all. I plan on not having "clutter" in my builds to make sure there isn't too much to load. That's also the reason most of the lots will be pretty simple, and some places have empty shells as filler buildings. The filler buildings add to the atmosphere without being nearly as intensive as playable buildings. I also plan on leaving quite a few empty lots, so there might be 130-140 built lots, maybe a bit less. As for the routing, that will be seen in the testing, and lots will be modified if there's issues with that.
  • Options
    fido091fido091 Posts: 105 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Hi! I totally got blown of my chair when I saw this world. This is like the sort of city I've been dreaming of eversince LN! Your houses are amazing and i think that the higher buildings are really (really) well done! Well, the thing I wondered about was if you will put Showtime-lots/venues in this world? That would be great! Ofcourse I'll be following this thread, and good luck with your work! And school ofcourse.. :wink: Bye!
  • Options
    Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Wow, this looks incredible. Certainly inspires me to make an urban city world, which is something I haven't yet done in CAW. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    fido091 wrote:
    Hi! I totally got blown of my chair when I saw this world. This is like the sort of city I've been dreaming of eversince LN! Your houses are amazing and i think that the higher buildings are really (really) well done! Well, the thing I wondered about was if you will put Showtime-lots/venues in this world? That would be great! Ofcourse I'll be following this thread, and good luck with your work! And school ofcourse.. :wink: Bye!

Yes, Showtime will be used in this world. I am keeping many large lots in the high density areas empty to accomodate the venues and new commercial lots. The Showtime items will also be integrated into some of the lots that I've already begun.
  • Options
    LokendraLokendra Posts: 276 New Member
    edited February 2012
    too good to be true!!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just a small update on progress. I'm doing a lot of work on existing shells, so there isn't really any images. I'm also making a pet store for the city, but since not everyone has the limited edition of Pets, I will upload the pet store to my studio separately, and those who have the limited edition will be able to download it and place it in the world.
  • Options
    BlizzardianBlizzardian Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2012
    I like it :D It looks really cool!
    Looking forward to your progress.

One question: You created your own skyscrapers - can you connect the lobby easily with the top dloors by using elevators? :) I am currentl trying to build my own skyscrapers but I might be kinda too stupid. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I like it :D It looks really cool!
    Looking forward to your progress.

One question: You created your own skyscrapers - can you connect the lobby easily with the top dloors by using elevators? :) I am currentl trying to build my own skyscrapers but I might be kinda too stupid. ;)

Yes, they connect via elevator. On the floor that's "stretched out" (I put a level skip marker on them), just place the elevator shaft, to connect the elevators from the bottom to the top.
  • Options
    DansarahDansarah Posts: 27
    edited February 2012
    Hey,

i dont really understand, where are you getting these buildings from if they are not custom content, like the sky scraper that is like a double building and connected by a passage, where are they coming from?

Thanks

Dan
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dansarah wrote:
    Hey,

i dont really understand, where are you getting these buildings from if they are not custom content, like the sky scraper that is like a double building and connected by a passage, where are they coming from?

Thanks

Dan

The "custom" skyscrapers (not from Late Night) are built using the cheat "constrainfloorelevation false" to adjust the wall height, giving the appearance of a skyscraper. I don't have a tutorial, as I figured it out myself after seeing a few pictures of some, but I'm sure you could find one somewhere, if you want to build your own. :wink:
  • Options
    DansarahDansarah Posts: 27
    edited February 2012
    ah ok so the cheat allows you to build more than normal floors? or u can actually extend the height of each floor?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dansarah wrote:
    ah ok so the cheat allows you to build more than normal floors? or u can actually extend the height of each floor?

Cannot add more floors (unfortunately), but simply stretch them out, like the double-height lobbies in the Late Night building shells, only much taller.
  • Options
    dadragonslyedadragonslye Posts: 675 New Member
    edited February 2012
    By any chance does the poolside club's name have anything to do with a game online called league of legends? Btw look the world.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    By any chance does the poolside club's name have anything to do with a game online called league of legends? Btw look the world.

It's named after the submarine in Jules Verne's Vingt milles lieues sous les mers (Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea).
  • Options
    dadragonslyedadragonslye Posts: 675 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Thats funny because the game just came out with a character named after it :)
  • Options
    Booo13Booo13 Posts: 54
    edited March 2012
    This is Amazing!!! I hope you end up finishing it !! It's really amazing!! i think you should add another suburbia somewhere instead of just that oone area that you have for houses. Maybe you can put mansions on the suburb you have now, and add another suburb with smaller houses. Just a suggestion lolol its really good and it really inspires me.