Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speculations about Game Pack

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
Hi,

There was a long pause before Stuff Packs came back and now it's the turn of Game Packs to be missing.

So it makes me think that Maxis (EA HQ) continues to transfer development to Maxis Europe.

It wouldn't be surprising because the EA HQ studio will have to focused on Project Rene and Project Dolores at some point.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,532 Member
    I heard rumours about Game Packs not releasing for some time. It was in a video of iron seagull.
    At time 2:00 he mentions henford hen talking about no more GP
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-pCpSUM78
    As simmer who loves supernatural gameplay, I find this a very sad thought. I love my spellcasters and werewolves. Even vampires who are not my favourite are very well done. The occults in the expansion packs just never reach the same potential. And stuff packs just are to small for a full lifestate. Paranormal stuff and to some extent crystal creations can help but it's not the same as an occult lifestate. So no Game Packs will mean an even longer drought for a fleshed out occult lifestate.

And even without the occults, some game packs are so great that they are more essential to the game than some of the expansions. I am thinking about parenthood, jungle adventures and spa day.

Some of the last EP feel so watered down, so little to offer outside the one main feature that they feel overpriced. GP felt like a good balance between content and pricing. (with the exception of my wedding stories)

I feel EA doesn't have the resources to produce all types of content. Especially with project Renee and Dolores on the horizon. And now game packs are on the chopping block.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    edited May 19
    I'll start worrying if I don't see occult GP for spooky season

this year so far seems to be split in 4 month seasons from which each contain one pack of different types and some kits

s1 (January-April) : Stuff Pack + kits
    s2 (May-August) : Expansion Pack + kits

which makes me think
    s3 (September-December): Game Pack + kits

this would complete the pattern and since we haven't seen gp or occult for a while regardless of all the fairy speculation and "hints" i think its high possibility next gp is occult
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited May 19
    Stuff Packs were missing from Feb. 2021 to Sep. 2023 (32 months after SP18 Paranormal Stuff)
    I imagine Game Packs could come back after Feb. 2025 (32 months after GP12 Werewolves).

I still think about GP13 Grim Reaper for the 25th anniversary of the franchise.
    So in that case 2 SP + 2 EP should be released in 2024.

uxh0569ck6o0.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 578 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I heard rumours about Game Packs not releasing for some time. It was in a video of iron seagull.
    At time 2:00 he mentions henford hen talking about no more GP

Oh, this is disappointing. I tend to trust henford hen about things like this. I was hoping we’d get another game pack soon, but now that doesn’t look at all likely.
    Stuff Packs were missing from Feb. 2021 to Sep. 2023 (32 months after SP18 Paranormal Stuff)
    I imagine Game Packs could come back after Feb. 2025 (32 months after GP12 Werewolves).

Are packs still going to be released all through next year? How much longer is content going to keep being made for this game?
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Are packs still going to be released all through next year? How much longer is content going to keep being made for this game?

As Lyndsay Pearson said at BTS livestream TS4 will coexist with Project Rene the same way as The Sims FreePlay and The Sims Mobile coexist since 2017.

At least the next 5 years new packs will still be released.

While Maxis Europe is learning how to develop Game Packs, Maxis (EA HQ) will keep on releasing Expansion Packs.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 578 Member
    @LeGardePourpre At least the next five years? Wow!
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »

Occult GP aren't tied to Halloween/spooky season. Vampires released in February, werewolves in June, strangerville in February. Only realm of magic (10 September) was released in the right season but still weeks away from Halloween. I don't think EA holds back occult game packs just to release close to Halloween.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,847 Member
    edited May 20
    I still think "For Rent" was planned as a GP and then something happened and they had to switch their plan, created more CAS and B/B and released it as an EP... Not a big fan of occults, however GPs had some nice themes (Spa Day, Dine Out). Maybe we will see a GP and another SP at the end of the year?!
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,854 Member
    I prefer game packs because it's the best value for your dollar and it comes with new gameplay which is exactly what I want from a game. Seems the obvious choice.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 582 Member
    @Erja888 My theory is that Horse Ranch was actually planned as a GP. Horses are a GP-sized concept. Being a rancher is a whole separate lifestyle, sort of like being a vampire or a werewolf. It's not like owning a pet or being part of a club or going to the beach where a wide variety of sims can have that as a part of their game play. They added some bits and bobs of other game play to fluff it up and called it an EP. I suspect For Rent was always intended as an EP, but they scaled back their original ambitions for the content involved.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    edited May 20

Occult GP aren't tied to Halloween/spooky season. Vampires released in February, werewolves in June, strangerville in February. Only realm of magic (10 September) was released in the right season but still weeks away from Halloween. I don't think EA holds back occult game packs just to release close to Halloween.

I mean yeah not like they do that but also I know I'd be disappointed they missed the opportunity to release occult pack at such perfect timing 🤣 especially since all the stars seem to be aligned to make it happen this year

then again if not I'll next be disappointed in spring because thats also perfect timing for fairies... and then in the summer because that is also perfect... okay sorry. never bad time for fairies just give em to me 🧚‍♀️
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,854 Member
    I think For Rent was intended to be a Game Pack. Horse Ranch feels like an expansion pack worth of stuff, just chimped on the equestrian center and lie action competitions, main street town area and missing vineyard event. Inflation skimped on what could have been the vision. Could at least add gambling on horse competition as a fun productive rabbit hole.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 720 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    I think For Rent was intended to be a Game Pack. Horse Ranch feels like an expansion pack worth of stuff, just chimped on the equestrian center and lie action competitions, main street town area and missing vineyard event. Inflation skimped on what could have been the vision. Could at least add gambling on horse competition as a fun productive rabbit hole.

Apartments have always been part of the most requested EPs like Seasons, Pets and University. They would not have made that a Game Pack. I think Horses could've started as a game pack and evolved into EP.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,928 Member

While Maxis Europe is learning how to develop Game Packs, Maxis (EA HQ) will keep on releasing Expansion Packs.

Now that is not a phrase that inspires confidence in the result.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,570 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

They made the waffle and pizza oven stuff pack and people were pretty pleased with the outcome. If they had enabled the pizza and waffles recipes for restaurants it would have been perfect.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,928 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

They made the waffle and pizza oven stuff pack and people were pretty pleased with the outcome. If they had enabled the pizza and waffles recipes for restaurants it would have been perfect.

That's fine. I'm not saying they can't do a great job. I am specifically saying that specific phrase does not inspire confidence.

It's like having a medical student take out your gallbladder or the assistant stylist do your highlights... they could be a savant, and it might turn out great, but it's a gamble, regardless.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,570 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

That's fine. I'm not saying they can't do a great job. I am specifically saying that specific phrase does not inspire confidence.

It's like having a medical student take out your gallbladder or the assistant stylist do your highlights... they could be a savant, and it might turn out great, but it's a gamble, regardless.

I suppose it depends on how close they are to their graduation and some would struggle even after that because they have no natural inclination to their field and they only trained in it because it pays well. :smile:
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,199 Member
    Personally, I think they are just doing the same thing that they did with the Stuff Packs & taking a 3 year break from Gameplay Packs for whatever reason.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 196 Member

I mean yeah not like they do that but also I know I'd be disappointed they missed the opportunity to release occult pack at such perfect timing 🤣 especially since all the stars seem to be aligned to make it happen this year

then again if not I'll next be disappointed in spring because thats also perfect timing for fairies... and then in the summer because that is also perfect... okay sorry. never bad time for fairies just give em to me 🧚‍♀️

There are winter fairies ;) Remember Tinkerbell's sister is winter fairy?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,321 Member
    Erja888 wrote: »
    I still think "For Rent" was planned as a GP and then something happened and they had to switch their plan, created more CAS and B/B and released it as an EP... Not a big fan of occults, however GPs had some nice themes (Spa Day, Dine Out). Maybe we will see a GP and another SP at the end of the year?!

I doubt it because it was shipped with tamarong world.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,762 Member
    edited May 22
    I thought the reason why we are seeing more expansion packs and less game packs is that it's a way to cover costs. A lot of game development studios are struggling right now.

I guess it's possible that they are transferring development of sims4 packs to Europe, I haven't thought about it that way. But they have only worked on two packs so far right?
  • Options
    edited May 23
    @logion wrote: »
    But they have only worked on two packs so far right?

Yes, Maxis Europe worked on Home Chef Hustles and Crystal Creations.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Previously Maxis Salt Lake did TS3 Expansion Packs while Maxis (EA HQ) was working on Project Olympus :
    • The Sims 3 EP06 Showtime
    • The Sims 3 EP07 Supernatural
    • The Sims 3 EP09 University Life
    • The Sims 3 EP11 Into the Future
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,534 Member
    I think the next gamepack will be either bands,fairies,hotels,waterparks or themeparks.
  • Options

Toomarang has the same amount of lots and neighborhoods as Tartosa. It also feels similar in size to strangerville and even selvadorada (if you count the temple and jungle location). To me personally the size of Toomarang is gives the impression that this was initially a GP.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 189 Member

Toomarang has the same amount of lots and neighborhoods as Tartosa. It also feels similar in size to strangerville and even selvadorada (if you count the temple and jungle location). To me personally the size of Toomarang is gives the impression that this was initially a GP.

However, game packs focused on lot type before don't have worlds.