Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ChatGPT and AI in Sims 5?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
i1uws7q5ad0z.png

Researchers at Google and Stanford used ChatGPT to generate human-like characters who live and interact in a contained, video game-like world called Smallville. Smallville features 25 characters with preloaded personas who wake up, go to sleep, make breakfast, interact with each other, and attend each other’s parties in an attempt to mimic human behavior as closely as possible. One popular AI observer likened the experiment to an early version of Westworld, though it's more like a video game demo where the characters' actions and dialogue are autogenerated by AI.

Here's the link:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3mvj3/google-tells-ai-agents-to-behave-like-believable-humans-to-create-artificial-society
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I have been anticipating game developers starting using Large Language Model AI to bring NPCs to life. I wouldn't be surprise if many are already considering it. It would be interesting if Maxis continued using Simlish, but used thought bubbles in human language, or some kind of text box, that serves as a translation for the player. That way they could avoid synthetic AI voice actors or repetitive real language actor voice files.

It would be fascinating to just sit back and observe them interact.
    Life By You could also do that. Rod Humble said they enjoyed watching their sim-people interact, but I don't know if any ChatGPT type AI is behind their conversation system, but maybe they can probably expand on that down the line.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    I'm sorry, but all I can think about is the fact that it's called Smallville.... especially since my parents and I have been watching Superman the Animated Series lately, so it's pretty front-of-mind. :D
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I don't think we need sims to hold very meaningful conversations with one another. I mean they should be able to display those conversation icons in a way that makes sense, based on their interests, hobbies, likes, or wherever is going on in their lives, but I don't think it needs to go deeper that that. It would be nice though if they managed to make sims behave in a meaningful way, like if they dislike dancing then they shouldn't start dancing on their own because there is music on the lot.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/EjEzYIv0RSU
    Oh yeah, this will be next generation stuff that will be key for emergent behavior and game play.
    It's something TS4 really needs because nothing really interesting happens in this game unless you make it happen, especially between sims that you don't control.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I don't think we need sims to hold very meaningful conversations with one another. I mean they should be able to display those conversation icons in a way that makes sense, based on their interests, hobbies, likes, or wherever is going on in their lives, but I don't think it needs to go deeper that that. It would be nice though if they managed to make sims behave in a meaningful way, like if they dislike dancing then they shouldn't start dancing on their own because there is music on the lot.

The application here is in open-world environments and less about text-based conversation. It means that NPC, non-active agents have their action queues and movements around the town dictated contextually by AI rather than pre-programmed or probabilistic methods.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
  • Options

The application here is in open-world environments and less about text-based conversation. It means that NPC, non-active agents have their action queues and movements around the town dictated contextually by AI rather than pre-programmed or probabilistic methods.

AI is also a program and it behaves in the parameters written into it. TS3 was meant to have intelligent sims who went to work and the community lots based on their interests, but it ended up being a big failure because every sim did just that. You went to the park in the morning and there was no one there because all sims were working, then in the evening they all went straight home and if you went to a bar everyone but the bartender was stuck in an elevator. They really need to add individual behaviour to sims and domino effects like if they don't fix their clocks then they might be late for work or school in the morning. Or if they get a promotion at work they might go out after work to celebrate instead of going straight home. All behaviour should be dictated by their traits, interests, likes and needs.
  • Options
    TS3 was meant to have intelligent sims who went to work and the community lots based on their interests, but it ended up being a big failure because every sim did just that.

Exactly. The AI models should have seed parameters and simulate chain reaction domino effects like you describe. This is different from pre-programming rules or agent behaviors.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

AI is also a program and it behaves in the parameters written into it. TS3 was meant to have intelligent sims who went to work and the community lots based on their interests, but it ended up being a big failure because every sim did just that. You went to the park in the morning and there was no one there because all sims were working, then in the evening they all went straight home and if you went to a bar everyone but the bartender was stuck in an elevator. They really need to add individual behaviour to sims and domino effects like if they don't fix their clocks then they might be late for work or school in the morning. Or if they get a promotion at work they might go out after work to celebrate instead of going straight home. All behaviour should be dictated by their traits, interests, likes and needs.

I had Sims going to various lots that I went to in Sims 3.

And just like in real life if you went somewhere during hours most Sims were at work, well, there were fewer Sims there.

The quantity that go to each lot is dependent on your computer so if your computer barely handles the game, you may not have many Sims out and about because that's the game trying to keep your game running smooth.

Until AI gets advanced enough and peoples' computers get powerful enough, I doubt Sims would be able to have each Sim run via AI based on current things happening and what not. I'd imagine that would be a lot of computing power to do that.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I had Sims going to various lots that I went to in Sims 3.

And just like in real life if you went somewhere during hours most Sims were at work, well, there were fewer Sims there.

The quantity that go to each lot is dependent on your computer so if your computer barely handles the game, you may not have many Sims out and about because that's the game trying to keep your game running smooth.

Until AI gets advanced enough and peoples' computers get powerful enough, I doubt Sims would be able to have each Sim run via AI based on current things happening and what not. I'd imagine that would be a lot of computing power to do that.

There were literally none most of the time and if anyone showed up they didn't stay long enough to start a conversation. My computer at the time wasn't a potato either. I don't care to know that there are sims doing stuff in parts of the world I am not currently visiting and computer issues doesn't explain why community lots don't have any other visitors. They need to do something about population density, I don't expect to see many sims while running about on the hills, but community lots need to have a minimum number of visitors to feel lively, like if you visit a restaurant it should attract at least a minimum number of hungry sims within that area.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Imagine a feature in a Life Sim that allows you to insert yourself in the game as a therapist or just as a friend, and you can communicate with your sims with a microphone headset. You can discuss their recent memories and incidents and have some influence on their wants, aspirations, and opinions of other sims.

You can meet them at a coffee shop and have a discussion while snacking on scones and coffee.
    Imagine the surprises you might find about sims that had experiences that you missed while playing other sims.

Life Sims might actually resemble West World in 5-10 years. :)
    https://youtu.be/LkbIza269G8
    Post edited by CK213 on
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    This is a really cool concept. I noticed they were using the word 'agent' -- that came around with SimCity 2013 and Cities Skylines, as they started using cars and people not merely as a visual mode of what the underlying stats said was present on a given street, but as actual units with destinations and tasks. If TS5 is going to be in development for the next few years, it's plausible that something like this could be incorporated!
  • Options
    This video goes into more detail on the research game.
    https://youtu.be/NfGcWGaO1E4
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Even more detail on how an AI driven game works.
    https://youtu.be/Se6KFn1Nni4

The Sims "6" or Life By You "2" might be very interesting.
    I'm not sure if this new technology will make it into the upcoming games.

If they go with a Life Simulation game much like The Sims past games, they might find themselves facing one of these AI driven games before TS5 or LBY is complete. It would be an open invitation for a another developer to enter the genre. If I was EA, I would at least be working on a spin-off game to experiment with this new technology, or working on an AI driven version of Rene internally, and try to work it into Rene on some level.

Post edited by CK213 on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2023

I agree with you. I don't think anyone really wants smarter AI for characters like The Sims, not really. I will post a few examples. Smarter 'Sims' would mean players have very little control over their characters. And since I have played this series for more than twenty years, I have seen the complaints in all the iterations when AI was smarter.

Example one: When a Sim runs out of the house in TS4 to go speak to a total stranger. Whether that is smarter AI or not players were annoyed (me) when this happened often. The Sim knows why it does that, the player doesn't in TS4.

In TS2, when Sims ran out of the house to go speak to another walkby (lonely) players were annoyed the Sim would break commands to do it, because their social was low, Smarter AI (yeah) but maybe the player wanted the Sim to be very lonely to bring on the Social Bunny.

Good example of a smarter AI, Sim uses the coffee and moves the commands around and drinks coffee first before the other seven commands queued up for the Sim. I only saw this happen once in twenty years and only with a specially coded Sim in TS2. I was amazed that the Sim was smarter than me, and moved the commands around but never saw it again.

Example two: Gossip. Smarter AI would tell other Sims their Sim cheated on partner. Players complain in all the games their Sims can't do a lot of things the player wants them to get away with (in all the series) without another Sim finding out and spilling the beans and or the Sim in the other room being smart enough to know what is happening in the other room. I doubt players will want smarter AI about conversations and gossip systems. And or smarter Sims at all.

Example three: I sincerely doubt we really want smarter AI because smarter AI would have fewer Sims without the same interests and or wants, fears, needs etc. on any community lot if the game is going to decide Jack and Jane are at work, sorry, you can't call them to go to lunch since they don't get a lunch hour today. This was a complaint when TS4 was first released, (2014) players were upset the Sims at work couldn't be invited over, and or seen on a community lot since they were at work. It was one of the earlier patches to allow it.

In TS3 players were upset because Sims were at work or school, too. But griped a lot about just the opposite in TS2. Carl shows up in work clothes at a community lot at 9:00 A.M. when we knew he was at work. But we just called him at home and the game said he was working.

Example Three: Players didn't like the 'special hobby lots' were practically empty in TS2. Supposedly filled with Sims with the same interests and hobby interests. Which only lead to a handful or less showing up. It was boring to be honest to go to hobby lots.

Example Four: Players won't like Sims not being able to flip on a dime and like one Sim over the other. Smarter AI would mean Mary isn't going to like Sally and or Paul and or Jerome or anybody if they don't have the same interests and or needs and or wants or interests. I've watched for twenty years now how players want to control all that, but if smarter AI thinks it knows better then none of that will be possible, either. And the player will be complaining they have no control. lol

I can list fifty dozen other examples of how smarter AI will not be liked by those who don't like surprises in their games, want to control every detail and or stop Sims from doing things that annoy them (there are ten thousand threads in 20 years about that) and outside of their control. They are going to want ten dozen toggles. ROFLOL
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

I agree with you. I don't think anyone really wants smarter AI for characters like The Sims, not really. I will post a few examples. Smarter 'Sims' would mean players have very little control over their characters. And since I have played this series for more than twenty years, I have seen the complaints in all the iterations when AI was smarter.

Example one: When a Sim runs out of the house in TS4 to go speak to a total stranger. Whether that is smarter AI or not players were annoyed (me) when this happened often. The Sim knows why it does that, the player doesn't in TS4.

In TS2, when Sims ran out of the house to go speak to another walkby (lonely) players were annoyed the Sim would break commands to do it, because their social was low, Smarter AI (yeah) but maybe the player wanted the Sim to be very lonely to bring on the Social Bunny.

Good example of a smarter AI, Sim uses the coffee and moves the commands around and drinks coffee first before the other seven commands queued up for the Sim. I only saw this happen once in twenty years and only with a specially coded Sim in TS2. I was amazed that the Sim was smarter than me, and moved the commands around but never saw it again.

Example two: Gossip. Smarter AI would tell other Sims their Sim cheated on partner. Players complain in all the games their Sims can't do a lot of things the player wants them to get away with (in all the series) without another Sim finding out and spilling the beans and or the Sim in the other room being smart enough to know what is happening in the other room. I doubt players will want smarter AI about conversations and gossip systems. And or smarter Sims at all.

Example three: I sincerely doubt we really want smarter AI because smarter AI would have fewer Sims without the same interests and or wants, fears, needs etc. on any community lot if the game is going to decide Jack and Jane are at work, sorry, you can't call them to go to lunch since they don't get a lunch hour today. This was a complaint when TS4 was first released, (2014) players were upset the Sims at work couldn't be invited over, and or seen on a community lot since they were at work. It was one of the earlier patches to allow it.

In TS3 players were upset because Sims were at work or school, too. But griped a lot about just the opposite in TS2. Carl shows up in work clothes at a community lot at 9:00 A.M. when we knew he was at work. But we just called him at home and the game said he was working.

Example Three: Players didn't like the 'special hobby lots' were practically empty in TS2. Supposedly filled with Sims with the same interests and hobby interests. Which only lead to a handful or less showing up. It was boring to be honest to go to hobby lots.

Example Four: Players won't like Sims not being able to flip on a dime and like one Sim over the other. Smarter AI would mean Mary isn't going to like Sally and or Paul and or Jerome or anybody if they don't have the same interests and or needs and or wants or interests. I've watched for twenty years now how players want to control all that, but if smarter AI thinks it knows better then none of that will be possible, either. And the player will be complaining they have no control. lol

I can list fifty dozen other examples of how smarter AI will not be liked by those who don't like surprises in their games, want to control every detail and or stop Sims from doing things that annoy them (there are ten thousand threads in 20 years about that) and outside of their control. They are going to want ten dozen toggles. ROFLOL

We didn't have smart AI controlled sims in neither TS2, TS3 or TS4. I wonder if the AI can actually work on context and not just preprogrammed behaviors. This would maybe improve some sims behaviors like washing dishes in the bathroom sink or routing, placement of stuff like don't place dirty dishes on top of the large fireplace with an empty slot at the top. Also a sim, if relative or good friend, would take your call even late at night, or you get to see sims walking in the park during the day because realistically there are elders with grandchildren and portrait artists and school children who skipped school and park maintenance personnel and some food vendors and such instead of presenting us an empty park because everyone is at work. I don't want an accurate account of every sims's movement but there should be more flexibility than just broad rules applied to every sim in the neighbourhood.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    at the moment i have my doubts that sims5 project rene will go ai only time will say has more info is given on the sims5 project rene since as more info on the game is given now by the time the game nears realise it might have change a bit as reference posting the very first trailer when sims4 was first annonce in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjzyPYovdU&t=2s so as a player as i mention i have my doubts at the moment
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2023
    I'm not so sure about having AI handling conversations in the sims since the sims is so much more about letting the player feel what they are talking about but I am a bit curious about what AI conversations could do for games in the future.

I saw a youtube clip a couple of weeks ago where someone had implemented an AI to the NPC's in skyrim and instead of choosing in a dialogue tree between what you wanted to ask a npc about you could just write and ask them whatever you wanted and the npc generated a suitable response depending on what they had added about that npc.

Imagine if you could play in a different world like a fantasy rpg and ask and talk with people about whatever you wanted, that could be pretty interesting if it was done well.

But again, I'm not so sure about having that in the sims.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Life By You is going to have written-out conversations, with the ability to mod in more conversation content as desired, and no voices to hear.
    If they don't port in ChatGPT to this kind of game, they're missing the boat.

However, I wouldn't want it in Sims. I prefer to hear my sims' voices talking in a language I don't understand, with expressive body language and tone of voice to give me a clue about the conversation. :)
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2023
    I think if done well it could be a cool way of making npcs/text strings feel more "alive".
    I wouldn't want full blown conversations, but the game does already include responses for some sim interactions (ie gossip), so if they incorporated AI into this they could have an infinite variety of responses rather than repeating the same few answers.

Just to experiment I asked ChatGPT to respond to a number of situations as if they were a sim with different traits and here's some responses:
    Respond as if you are a character in the Sims 4 welcoming a new person to the town of Willow Creek:
    "Sul sul! Welcome to the charming town of Willow Creek! You'll love the serene beauty of our neighborhoods, from the cozy suburbs to the tranquil waterfront. Make yourself at home, explore our parks and local hangouts, and get ready to create unforgettable memories in Willow Creek!"

Respond as if you are a grumpy character in the Sims 4 welcoming a new person to the town of Willow Creek:
    "Oh, great. Another newcomer. Welcome to the thrilling town of Willow Creek, I guess. Don't expect much excitement around here; it's mostly just the same old routine. But hey, if you're into monotony and predictable neighbors, you'll fit right in. Enjoy your stay... or whatever."

Respond as if you are a rich and snobby character in the Sims 4 welcoming a new person to the town of Willow Creek:
    "Ah, another ordinary soul infiltrating the mediocrity of Willow Creek. Take heed, newcomer, for you have entered a realm far below my elevated social standing. Consider yourself fortunate to witness a glimpse of my opulence, but remember, darling, you'll forever remain a mere observer in this world of refined distinction."

Respond as if you are a childish character in the Sims 4 welcoming a new person to the town of Willow Creek:
    "Yay, new friend alert! Welcome to Willow Creek, the coolest town ever! We have awesome parks to play in, swings to swing on, and puddles to jump in! Let's have endless fun together and create epic adventures in this super-duper town. Yippee!"

Respond as if you are a character in the Sims 4 gossiping about another person in the town of Willow Creek:
    "Guess what? Word on the street is that [Sim Name] has been seen sneaking around town in a disguise, pretending to be a famous celebrity – quite the drama queen, if you ask me!"
    "Psst, did you hear? Rumor has it that [Sim Name] has been collecting an absurd amount of garden gnomes, turning their lawn into a whimsical gnome paradise!"
    "You won't believe it, but [Sim Name] was spotted talking to their plants as if they were having a full-blown conversation – a true green-thumb eccentric!"
    "Psst, you won't believe it! I overheard that [Sim Name] has been secretly perfecting their culinary skills and serving up gourmet meals to unsuspecting neighbors – seems like a deliciously delightful secret to keep!"
    "Psst, have you heard? It seems [Sim Name] has been caught redecorating their entire house in shades of neon pink and lime green – talk about an eye-catching fashion disaster!"

I think if done well this could really help make traits feel more impactful and give townies more individuality. You could do the same with any trait, so then every sim will respond differently to a prompt depending on their personality.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Life By You is going to have written-out conversations, with the ability to mod in more conversation content as desired, and no voices to hear.
    If they don't port in ChatGPT to this kind of game, they're missing the boat.

However, I wouldn't want it in Sims. I prefer to hear my sims' voices talking in a language I don't understand, with expressive body language and tone of voice to give me a clue about the conversation. :)

Modders might do it.
    They are already modding in Interactive ChatGPT through speech for Skyrim, which is pretty cool.
    https://youtu.be/0wCjosz1vOA

NPC Voices are robotic, but it could be simply text based for Life By You.
    It changes the dynamic of, are you the sim? or, are you the sim god?, so I don't know how it would be best applied.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    That video was fascinating. Thank you for pointing it out.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    https://youtu.be/AQq8M88s3BU

I was really surprised when she corrected him about the pronunciation of her name.
    It's also cool that she whispers when you are really close to her. I can see NPCs whispering when you are in stealth mode.

I would love to try this in Skyrim, but I'm not too keen on paying for mods, especially when this isn't polished.
    I do look forward to any game by game developers who implement this into game play.

It was annoying that he gave his character an annoying name (Moist Boi). I hated hearing her say it.
    It takes me out of the game. :p
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I can see this going horribly wrong, as humans we can empathize with all sorts of creatures and giving an simulated character a personality, the ability to evolve and becoming more like a real person with an unique personality and then sending them out to die on a battle scene or put them in situation that would be torterous for them. Imagen if you in Sims create an evil and mean Sim and let shim lose in the world, would you really like the consequences?!