Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Petition: Farm Animals everywhere

83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
When waiting for Cottage Living to release, I was planning on what to do with farm animals. I wanted to make a petting zoo, a vacation residential with a farm for those of my Sims living in the city, adding some chickens and a cow to the National Park in Granite Falls (kind of like in many Center Parks), spicing up my community gardens with them, adding a lama to the park in Oasis Springs, ...
I was sad when I discovered that we can only buy livestock on owned lots, but first thought they might not be working elsewhere.
Then I found out that they work flawlessly when enabled on other lots with just minimum changes to the game's tuning files.

So I beg you EA, please make these simple tuning changes with an update for Vanilla players to be able to enjoy the endless possibilities farming animals on any lot will offer.

Are you with me?
Pretty please and thanks in advance!

Technical info on how to change the tuning:
Simply remove the line
<V t="object_ownership" />
from the following tuning files:
purchasePickerInteraction_AnimalObjects_Chickens
purchasePickerInteraction_AnimalObjects_LivestockPen
sI_AnimalObjects_HarvestFrom_Llama
sI_AnimalObjects_HarvestFrom_Llama_Yellow
sI_AnimalObjects_HarvestFrom_Cow

Disclaimer:
I know there's a workaround for this by buying animals using an otherwise unplayed Sim, putting them in his/her inventory, bringing them to the lot and never touching that Sim again, but that is tedious and will also not allow for milking cows or getting wool from lamas.
There is no downside in enabling cows, lamas and chickens on any lot.
Players who do not want them will never have to use them.
It's hardly any work to change this.
Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen

Petition: Farm Animals everywhere 99 votes

Yes, I want to be able to buy and care for farm animals on unowned lots. Pretty please, EA!
68%
crocobauraBluegaylecatmom1987bandit5IceyJAyradyssoveronCamkatMelisendreEarcatxoJessiMaryVannStrangerthanjustChrisUkbabajayneelanorbretonhihi122122Paigeisin5alanmichael1Yautjagirl 68 votes
No, thanks. I only want to be able to use farm animals on owned lots.
7%
IcewolfJueJuePlayerSinger2010BoergeAarg61friendlysimmersDarkLady2788simsgamer2021 7 votes
Indifferent
22%
alexspoom13Nighteyesalan650111love7680Colorist40freindlylolluthienrisingSjofnDragonAge_300905Sindocatfiercephoenix91sof2106BreazonaKyreRoenRedShoe7Evilyn_1007InuMiroLoverSeashoreLiviaAngeliqueAdelaideDaWaterRat 22 votes
Other (please specify)
2%
g01denswanGamer_34567544 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yes, I want to be able to buy and care for farm animals on unowned lots. Pretty please, EA!
    That or allowing sims to purchase and own other venues, as My sims are wealthy enough and it is part of their story that they do essentially own the world.

I too was hoping on setting up my sim’s farmlands around their castle and set it to “Park” and have those who reside in the world work the farm. But now made them residential lots had my sims purchase those lots with their money, allocated and additional $100,000 and hired some live in care takers and used club gatherings to tend to the garden and care for animals.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'd definitely love to add them to the Eco Community Garden Space. Seems like a perfect addition there.
  • Options
    Very creative workaround, @MasonGamer. We shouldn't need one though as this could so easily be changed by EA.

You're right, @Calico45, livestock would go really well with the Eco Community Garden Space.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    Yes, please. I was the one who posted about the workaround, which so far is the only viable way I've found to have animals on public lots, but it's a real pity we can't clean / shear /milk the animals this way.

It would be great to be able to place animals on public lots directly. :)
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    @TARDISgrade: Yes, I saw your lamas in Selvadorada and was pleased that it was at least somehow possible to get livestock to appear on Community Lots. Cudos for exploring that.

Also Lamas are actually perfect for use in Selvadorada - which makes my request even more legit as you cannot have an owned lot in Selvadorada.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes!

I would live to have lamas in the jungle world and cows over in Granite Falls. You could visit a farm and help out for a few days. The pay could be the produce that you take home.

Having a sim helping out at a farm instead of owning and running it.
  • Options
    Exactly, @SilentKitty.

I also think the Gallery would overflow with creative community and vacation lots making use of the animal sheds, while there won't be as many uploading something like that as long as you either have to describe who to get it to actually work without mods or install a mod in order to be able to use it.

The gallery is a very strong source of creativity, so I always welcome changes that affect the use of Gallery items positively. For instance, I was very fond of them changing debug items to be able to be transfered via the Gallery. This was actually a milestone.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Indifferent
    Indifferent, but with mild tut-tutting.

A work-around to allow this is possible. I think there are tune-ups and fixes much more deserving of developer attention. I wouldn't be angry, but I might roll my eyes over this being patched in.
  • Options
    I see where you're coming from, @Sindocat. This doesn't need much attention though. The tuning files can be changed in less than a minute.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited August 2021
    I agree, that would be an awesome addon for the game - also extra bonus points if they allow us to own lots and assign lots to sims.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes please, it's silly that we even have to ask for this. It should just already be a thing.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    Other (please specify)
    The ability to take care of farm animals and harvest animal products on other lots would be great as long as it’s only allowed on specific lot types. I would not want sims from other households or townies to steal milk, wool or eggs from my sims lots.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Yes, thank you for posting this, hopefully they will see it.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »
    The ability to take care of farm animals and harvest animal products on other lots would be great as long as it’s only allowed on specific lot types. I would not want sims from other households or townies to steal milk, wool or eggs from my sims lots.

They can actually already take eggs. I've tested this with my own sims. But that's an easy fix, all you have to do is keep your animals behind a fence with a locked gate.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Well I definatelly want to build a zoo, there are anough critters in the game for that now. But if have to build on a owned lot it wont work as well as in a park. Sims would not flock to the lot as they do in a a park
  • Options
    g01denswan wrote: »

@g01denswan: This is generlly a valid concern, but the harvest options are all set to disallow autonomy, so there's not problem in that regard unless they'd change that in the future.

@Amapola76: You're right, harvesting eggs is not disabled on unowned lots. That is why I didn't include any changes to the code for that. They just need to enable to buy chickens/hens/roosters. A zoo is something I'd also want to build.

@Aine: I think we'll be getting the option to buy more lots (at least rental ones) at some point. We can already buy retail lots, restaurants and vet clinics so there shouldn't be too much of an obstacle in making it happen.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'm always against restrictions that impede players playing how they want to with content in the game. Let us tell OUR stories EA, not YOURS.
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Unfortunately since EA is money hungry ill bet there will be a farm animals everywhere pack *sigh*
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    I'm always against restrictions that impede players playing how they want to with content in the game. Let us tell OUR stories EA, not YOURS.

its probably because it will be featured a new pack, coz ea loves money
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    If it is really so simply, why not? This would give us so many new gameplay possibilities.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Why not just allow one to buy many farms?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @Gamer_34567544: I was focussing on requesting a change that would take up hardly any EA ressources when being fulfilled. Also, buying many farms is not the same as allowing to experience some farm live without having to fully commit your Sims to farming. The sheds take up quite some space, so they remain unavailable to Sims dwelling on small lots or in apartments. They also might look out of place for some builds.

That being said, I'm totally not against adding a feature that allows your Sims to buy more than one "home" lot.
  • Options
    momelimberhammomelimberham Posts: 75 Member
    I thought from the title that you were going to be asking for farm animals to be roaming around like the stray cats and dogs. I don't care about farming anyway, but the idea of there just being loose cows in everybody's yards in every neighborhood was a BIT much.

After actually reading the post, I like it. Maybe EA could introduce a specific lot type so people could have petting zoos or public parks with farm animals and not just farms, and not what I initially thought you meant by "animals everywhere".
    Can one awkward man find love when nobody knows what he looks like? Check out Joe Baghead season 1
  • Options
    MZsimmerMZsimmer Posts: 21 Member
    I think it would be awesome to have animals in lots you don’t own. I have an idea though: you can change the type of the lot to residential and set a new family in that lot, that way they could be like the zookeepers and take care of the animals. I hope you like the idea.
  • Options
    MZsimmerMZsimmer Posts: 21 Member
    @CelSims
    I agree with that! All the new gameplay features have a lot of potential when we see them in the trailer, but when it comes to the actual pack, it’s very restricted and limited, so it ends up getting repetitive, specially if you don’t have many packs