Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A new pack type, the "Kit" is coming. Aka "Sims 3 store, 5 bucks for two chairs" is here

Comments

• Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Why is it they have focus group after focus group, and when for free (well, minus hosting fees) they have us? It seems that they do everything we tell them not to do.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They’re testing out ideas for The Sims 5.

The clownery of thinking your 7 year old product held together by glue and band-aids is worthy of yet ANOTHER line of DLC packs. 🤡

So glad I stopped purchasing packs a long time ago, and I DEFINITELY don’t plan on starting again with a mess like this.

It's sad that EA thinks that this will revitalize the Sims 4. Not improved babies, cars, or personalities. But more DLC :|

This will make customers even more confused. I can't imagine being a new customer, how baffling the amount of DLC must be.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think this is why EA keeps microtransactions around, that 4 million dollar difference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2018/03/07/the-on-going-controversy-of-microtransactions-in-gaming-infographic/?sh=5cab0ae1d9c5

This was a fun article too. I remember watching a documentary how gambling is the poor man's tax, so why microtransactions do so well. There is one thing a step up that is worst are loot boxes which are thankfully banned in several countries.
    spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/09/game-on-microtransactions-are-rampant-in-the-gamin/

"This form of microtransaction has been shown to perpetuate gambling issues, according to a study done by the Royal Society of Open Science, “adolescents and loot boxes.” The study shows that older adolescents who spent money on loot boxes displayed more than twice as high measurements of problem gambling than those who did not, and that adolescent problem gamblers spent more than five times as much money on loot boxes than those who did not have a gambling addiction."

but this isn't loot boxes for it to be gamble you have to not know what your going to get @Scobre

play games of chance for money; bet.

take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
    "the British could only gamble that something would turn up"

at worst this could only cause poor money habits
    if anything at all the sims 3 and sims 2 both had stores
    edited because there was more copied then I wanted

also I want to add I don't think microtransactions are all bad I don't think cheating people is good but
    getting more of what you like is also loot boxes need to die
    I never cared for the stores and still don't. What I am worried about is that last time there was a store pirating was encouraged by influencers and nothing was done about it. Thousands of dollars worth of DLC was taken from Gurus for all their hard work. So I am just worried that it will happen again. Doing patches would be the safer route but I think EA is going to do this since their mobile games have content packs like kits too to test if microtransactions can sustain a MMO Sims 5 like their other online games and sports games. Yeah loot boxes do. Just seen how microtransactions killed Gaiaonline and the old CEO nicknamed Goldemort took off with all the money. It wasn't a pleasant experience as why many people left it.

@Scobre I don't think having a store is going to make people more likely to steal they may use it to justify there stealing
    but the truth is people who are okay with doing those things are going to steal anyway
    and it may be like others have said that they just have lots of ideas that wont go with a theme
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I'm absolutely not interested. If they produce kits that are really interesting and they go on sale for like $2.50, then I can see going for a couple.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Kits feel like leftovers that didn’t make it into other packs, but the assets were far enough along that EA found a way to profit off of them anyway.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    To all the people saying it's microtransactions it's no different than the ts3 store. I actually like this.

thats exactly why i do not want it.
    traumas from ts3 store.

definitely don't want that back.

especially because I already foresee they will probably find this new excuse to shove occults and other interesting stuff in even smaller packs of no gameplay

heck might just end up with dragons kit where dragons are again reskinned bird for which btw first they make bird kit that is separate

p_p yes ive seen the scheme EA
    don't you dare do that to ts4
    dragon valley was mean enough

Kind of speaking of occult’s, I want a kit that has a real witches hat with no spider, and a Dracula cape for vampires. Sooo.. I would like to a pack with some extra occult clothes...... maybe a throwback to old fashion witches and vampires with lots of clothes, and maybe even hairstyles, and jewelry.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Another thing that I keep reminding myself now is that for console players, CC isn't an option. There's possibly more demand for content that might be CC-similar than there was pre-console.

I don't think this will help. They are already able to buy stuff packs for new CAS stuff and the stuff in the kits doesn't look very CC-like, it's just regular Maxis content.
    Also CC is free and these are not going to be free. So imagine if EA is doing this to take advantage of the fact that console players don't have access to free CC.

I’m a pc player, but I don’t use cc either, so I’m excited they are coming out with more packs.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Dang, been busy watching a Chinese drama on YoYo for two days and I come back to this news...what the what?!
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    To all the people saying it's microtransactions it's no different than the ts3 store. I actually like this.

traumas from ts3 store.

especially because I already foresee they will probably find this new excuse to shove occults and other interesting stuff in even smaller packs of no gameplay

heck might just end up with dragons kit where dragons are again reskinned bird for which btw first they make bird kit that is separate

They better not. Occult players are pushed aside too much as it is. :cry:

If they shove us into just kits, I WILL be flaming mad.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2021
    bixters wrote: »

The clownery of thinking your 7 year old product held together by glue and band-aids is worthy of yet ANOTHER line of DLC packs. 🤡

So glad I stopped purchasing packs a long time ago, and I DEFINITELY don’t plan on starting again with a mess like this.

It's sad that EA thinks that this will revitalize the Sims 4. Not improved babies, cars, or personalities. But more DLC :|

This will make customers even more confused. I can't imagine being a new customer, how baffling the amount of DLC must be.

Oh, 100%, I would be straight up overwhelmed and refuse to even bother with a new game that I discovered had THIS much DLC.

I think they pulled that whole TS4 rebranding years back so they could introduce this new DLC pack type. It's honestly downright depressing to see such a blatant lack of passion for the betterment of the franchise. Maxis would rather try to squeeze every last cent out of a 7 year old entry that should already be on its way out.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Kits feel like leftovers that didn’t make it into other packs, but the assets were far enough along that EA found a way to profit off of them anyway.

That's what I think too, or they were assets that they pulled from other packs to make these kits. But either way, I'm sure these are leftovers of some kind, whether that be intentional to keep stuff packs smaller or just that they felt they didn't go with the vibe, but they obviously paid for these assets so might as well try and coup some of that money back.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

Kind of speaking of occult’s, I want a kit that has a real witches hat with no spider, and a Dracula cape for vampires. Sooo.. I would like to a pack with some extra occult clothes...... maybe a throwback to old fashion witches and vampires with lots of clothes, and maybe even hairstyles, and jewelry.

I would like that too, if I ever play occults I want to the play the classic versions, so I would welcome a kit that contained more "traditional" clothing accessories for vampires and witches.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Oh, 100%, I would be straight up overwhelmed and refuse to even bother with a new game that I discovered had THIS much DLC.

I think they pulled that whole TS4 rebranding years back so they could introduce this new DLC pack type. It's honestly downright depressing to see such a blatant lack of passion for the betterment of the franchise. Maxis would rather try to squeeze every last cent out of a 7 year old entry that should already be on its way out.
    Come to the dark side with Animal Crossing and Started Valley that is pack free and a better bargain. Gaming would be dull if it was the only simulation game, but thankfully its monopoly is dying. I heard good things about Eco too which has a better storytelling community. I have been watching many game changers play other games and I see them get burnt out by the Sims brand too. I do think Sims is the biggest rip off in gaming right now. Funny thing is people not wanting the Sims 4 to be a copycat of the Sims 3, but it has become a lower quality one with game packs being like world packs and now the return of the Sims 3 store with the Sims 4, so complaining about that and computer performance going to be fun keeping track and Sims 4 being the buggier, lower performance, and more expensive than the Sims 3. The longer the Sims 4 goes on the more players the older versions will get which isn't a bad thing. I got the full Sims 1 game for the price of the Sims 4 initial $49.99 price.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    If the sim vacuum makes the sim dogs go simply bonkers, jumping around and barking at it, then maybe. If not, then I'll pass on cleaning up the sim dust. If it piles up deep enough, maybe it will fertilize my sim plants well enough that they stop reverting.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

traumas from ts3 store.

yes I wouldn't mind if kit or stuff pack adds to existing occult pack that'd be actually nice like fantasy kids stuff or fantastical fashion or something

but i really wish new occults get introduced in at least gp size pack and have as much gameplay as possible to them and they don't go trying to fit them in small stuff or kits like "hehe werewolf is just body hair ears and howling right" "theyll be content with this right we dont need actual pack for this"

...cause i definitely felt that kind of thing happened way too often with ts3 store and yeah pls no i would need to be locked in very soft room to air my grievances if that happened

then again I also feel even kids fantasy stuff be cuter with some gameplay items but.. :sweat_smile:

ye. don't really get why kits cause mostly you could just make cooler stuff pack by adding couple gameplay items :/

perhaps in cases like makeup where i dont really see gameplay addition but i would yeah perhaps like big addition to makeup selection for aesthetics
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    It's just going to be the Sims 3 store all over again. Lackluster content that's overpriced to heck. $5 bucks for three hibiscus plants anyone? It's such a shame how they cut content up to sell for more money, and how people just accept this like it's a good thing.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Come to the dark side with Animal Crossing and Started Valley that is pack free and a better bargain. Gaming would be dull if it was the only simulation game, but thankfully its monopoly is dying. I heard good things about Eco too which has a better storytelling community. I have been watching many game changers play other games and I see them get burnt out by the Sims brand too. I do think Sims is the biggest rip off in gaming right now. Funny thing is people not wanting the Sims 4 to be a copycat of the Sims 3, but it has become a lower quality one with game packs being like world packs and now the return of the Sims 3 store with the Sims 4, so complaining about that and computer performance going to be fun keeping track and Sims 4 being the buggier, lower performance, and more expensive than the Sims 3. The longer the Sims 4 goes on the more players the older versions will get which isn't a bad thing. I got the full Sims 1 game for the price of the Sims 4 initial $49.99 price.

Already there!! :wink:

There are SO many other games with far more consumer friendly business models that are worth supporting. I’m very excited for Paralives, too.

Really wish The Sims would step its game up. Still, I certainly don’t hold enough loyalty to it to spend money on its current lackluster packs.
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Honestly, I don't see it's any different than how TS3 Store works... Just pre-selected items for you to buy instead. Kind of like TS3 store bundles and such. I'm alright with having more content added to the game (without mods), but that's just my opinion. I understand some may not want this, but others do. There's really no compromise.

If I'm being honest, when TS4 came out I really hoped it'd have a social media-like timeline as well as store items, like TS2/TS3.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Madachan88 wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I'm...actually interested LOL

I was thinking the same. :D

Me three.

Me four :)

It's not like I have to buy anything.

Makes me five

Hopefully the kits are not overpriced like some stuff from the Sims 3 store.

Do we have enough for a team yet? Put me in coach. ;)

Can I play? 😆

Absolutely !
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ah nice, this is probably how they'll nickle and dime those of us who want bands in their game "Band Kit" $5 and you'll get a Bass and Drum set.
  • Options
    Ah nice, this is probably how they'll nickle and dime those of us who want bands in their game "Band Kit" $5 and you'll get a Bass and Drum set.
    Maybe they'll bring back a Katy Perry Kit too? LOL
    81w5MfjO6nL._SL1114_.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    81w5MfjO6nL._SL1114_.jpg

nooooooooooooo! don't even joke @Scobre :)
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    GoseGose Posts: 40 Member
    I think this is cool. It gives you you the option to handpick more spesific items and gameplay, without paying for å full pack. I can also imagine this allows for newer «Bits» more often than packs. The only thing is the prize has to be just a «Bit» of a pack. I share your fear they might be overprized, but I’m staying positive until we know for sure.

As for the Bits, I just got a robotvacuumer IRL to not have to deal with dustbunnies anymore, not sure I’m going to i introduce them to my game :D
    Sign.jpg
    I build things.
    Gallery ID: skustadmoe
  • Options

nooooooooooooo! don't even joke @Scobre :)
    I mean isn't what these kits are for making celeb packs? Sorry I couldn't resist since it was my least favorite Sims pack ever.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2021

This is a little off topic, but it annoys me that the real Katy Perry's outfit is way cuter than the Sim Katy Perry's outfit. They couldn't recreate her costume any better than that? This says a lot about the dramatic range of content they sell to us. Some of it is great, but a lot of it is lazy.

I'm still feeling pretty annoyed and worried about kits. I said this in another post, but I'm fine with them adding stuff like vacuum cleaners and dust/dust bunnies as a kit item because it's a niche item that a small group of people would want. However, I'm worried they're going to start putting highly requested items in kits or pulling a My First Pet move where they create DLC for a DLC that should have included the content to begin with. The vacuum kit appears to come with three different vacuums and the dust feature. I counted the kitchen items, and it looks like there is about 10 or 12 new items. The clothing might be 12 items, but I can't tell which outfits are whole body and which are separates.

Also, I decided to visit the Sims 3 Store today to see how much it costs to purchase Sim Points. I shouldn't have done that because it brought back the seething anger I felt back then. It costs $40 for 5,000 points? Are you kidding me?! I need to log out before I say anything truly hateful.