Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
    Yes
    I basically kind of did lol my last computer couldnt handle all the expansions... it crashed.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Buy a new computer? No way in heck. But I'm using a converted server with the highest graphics settings just because they were the default. Graphics-wise, my computer is nothing to scream about.. but if it couldn't run TS4, my SO would be incapable of accepting that as a point of pride. This would involve less "new computer" as "all the parts of an upgraded computer"...
  • Options
    lrnblsm98lrnblsm98 Posts: 51 Member
    Yes
    I considered buying a gaming PC powerful enough to run the highly demanding Sims 3, but I just got Sims 4 instead. It runs perfectly fine on my lower-end machine.
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    I’m saying “no” because there needs to be other factors for me to buy a new computer. Like my finances, what I’m looking for, what else can I no longer do, and how recent I got the computer. For example I just got this laptop this summer (my last one went cray, I think I downloaded a virus or something) luckily my new one is 64bit because the requirements went up. If not I would just go without until the time came. In the mean time, I’d find something else to do.

I do see myself buying a desktop in the future and playing games and doing other stuff solely on my desktop and giving my laptop a break.
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Yes
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Yes
    I bought a new computer in 2009 specifically to play Sims 3. By 2013, I needed upgrades cause when I bought the new computer, I had no idea what specs or a gaming pc was. So I started upgrading my pc in 2013 and 2014, and got my first real "gaming pc".

I've since done lots of upgrades (SSD, RAM, GPU, PSU, CPU, cooler, case) and all of them where all geared towards playing the sims as long as possible, on the best graphics and performance, and give me to option to play other games if I decided to. :p

I won't ever buy a pre-built pc again, but I will upgrade mine and my families pc as we need upgrades. Usually, I upgrade my pc and we have a trickle down effect with my family. Hubby gets my old parts (provided they work), son gets his parts, daughter gets sons parts. ;)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    So_Money wrote: »
    Anyone else have the feeling that the top brass at EA are all high-fiving each other and clinking champagne glasses while reading the results of this poll?

:D
    Yes, I had almost the same thought. You know you have a loyal fan base when over 80% of them are willing to buy new computers just for your one game.
    I’m saying “no” because there needs to be other factors for me to buy a new computer. Like my finances, what I’m looking for, what else can I no longer do, and how recent I got the computer. For example I just got this laptop this summer (my last one went cray, I think I downloaded a virus or something) luckily my new one is 64bit because the requirements went up. If not I would just go without until the time came. In the mean time, I’d find something else to do.

I do see myself buying a desktop in the future and playing games and doing other stuff solely on my desktop and giving my laptop a break.

My thoughts exactly just much better worded. :)
    aricarai wrote: »
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I'm shocked to say the least from your responses.
    not judging, just thought it would be 100% NO.

Why did you think that @Yardenro? I think you underestimate how much people love this game!

To be honest I underestimated them as well. I am quite surprised by these results.

Cool poll @aricarai, Maybe ea will use it and consider making Sims 5 at the spec level of the time it's released. :)
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    No
    Not for Sims 4. No.

For a good game though? Yes.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
    14% NO
    Oh wow it is interesting it is even higher on Twitter.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Anyone else have the feeling that the top brass at EA are all high-fiving each other and clinking champagne glasses while reading the results of this poll?

:D
    Yes, I had almost the same thought. You know you have a loyal fan base when over 80% of them are willing to buy new computers just for your one game.

My thoughts exactly just much better worded. :)
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I'm shocked to say the least from your responses.
    not judging, just thought it would be 100% NO.

Why did you think that @Yardenro? I think you underestimate how much people love this game!

To be honest I underestimated them as well. I am quite surprised by these results.

Cool poll @aricarai, Maybe ea will use it and consider making Sims 5 at the spec level of the time it's released. :)

Ah ha - @BeJaWa - you've sussed out my intentions :wink:
  • Options
    Yes
    Scobre wrote: »
    Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
    14% NO
    Oh wow it is interesting it is even higher on Twitter.

I'm actually surprised on how many have said yes here on the forums!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes

Me too. I hope it is ok I shared this thread with the Gurus on discord. I'm just loving the poll system.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    I no longer buy pre-built computers. I either build one from scratch with my husband or upgrade parts. My desktop is overkill just for sims but it was built with other more demanding games. If I only played Sims, I would either upgrade a pre-built or build one on a much smaller scale. Shortly after TS3: Pets released, I installed a dedicated card into an eMachine along with upgrading the PSU. It was extremely hard to do on a slim budget... hurray for open-box deals.

Gaming is my hobby so yes, it's necessary for me to invest in a computer to play these games.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    Yes
    I did last year and I use it only for sims 4
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Yes

TS3 is awesome and that's what I talked about a lot when it first came out to the point my mother bought me a gaming laptop to have the best gaming experience. There is nothing more wonderful than going from bad graphics and okay performance to superb graphics and excellent performance.

Incompatible desktop
    Screenshot-51.jpg

Gaming laptop
    Screenshot-1817.jpg

Gaming desktop
    Screenshot-339.jpg

I was going to buy a brand new desktop for TS4 but no. Instead I built my first gaming desktop specifically for TS3.

TS4 does not push the boundaries like all Sims games in the main PC series have done. TS4 is old technology/features being boasted as if new and better yet factually is the only expensive retrogression title for little to no innovation which demands you to play EA/Maxis's way or the take the highway. It's not worth the time nor money and even if TS4 was $0.00 I still don't want it. It would be just a waste of space on my hard drive.

Now, if a real Sims sequel were to combine all the best features of TS2 and TS3 plus bring new and never done before gameplay to the franchise along with more realism than TS3 but still a balance between realistic and cartoony...that would be worth a new computer. You know, besides TS3.
    Screenshot-40.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yes
    I asked the same question on twitter, so I'd be interested to see what the forums have to say on the subject.

Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
    14% NO

I bought my current laptop just to play Sims 3, but now I need a new one since this one is getting to laggy now that I have Sims 4.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,596 Member
    I play some pretty big games. Like Elder scrolls, so usually having a good computer to play games on is a given for me . I'd be concerned if I had to buy a whole new computer to play a game like the sims when other games don't eat up a lot of resources.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    RoyalTeacupRoyalTeacup Posts: 114 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I bought a $900 gaming laptop just for the sims.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Yes
    I already did that :wink:
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yes
    I did for ts2, and again for ts3.
    Haven't done it for ts4, using a PC build for photo editing. Haven't had any issues running ts4 yet.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No
    This is all quite shocking to me.
  • Options
    faith4jesusfaith4jesus Posts: 95 Member
    Yes
    I have for some of the older games. But it’s been a laptop not computer.
  • Options
    Yes
    Scobre wrote: »

Me too. I hope it is ok I shared this thread with the Gurus on discord. I'm just loving the poll system.

Of course @Scobre! What discord is that?
  • Options
    Yes
    This is all quite shocking to me.

How come @So_Money?
  • Options
    mountainpigeonmountainpigeon Posts: 24 Member
    Yes
    Not necessarily *just for The Sims*, but I do plan on getting a new computer (my current one is a hand-me-down MacBook about to hit its 10th birthday and it's really only good for web browsing and word processing at this point, after the OS updates that are no longer compatible with the one I've got) and using it more for playing games (Minecraft, TS4, UNDERTALE). I plan on going to college for graphic design and photography, so I imagine I'd eventually use it for those things as well, and use the current one just for things like Wikipedia binges and taking notes.