Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Yes
    So_Money wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »
    This is all quite shocking to me.

How come @So_Money?

I find it shocking that so many people would drop upwards of $1000 just to play one game. Not only that, but some have done it twice since TS4's release.

It is not too shocking. We have 3 laptops and a desktop in the house. We replace/hand me down every 3 years or so. Although my current laptop can play the game, I am handing it down to my 7 year old and getting more powerful one for myself. The one she was using can only play Sims 4 on medium settings, and yes she plays it. That one replacing my 80 year grandmother's computer that is from 2000. She just wants one that will allow her to write since she is a freelance writer. Basically, it is a regular cycle to replace or hand down. In 2021, we will purchase to replace another computer since my teen will need a new one for college. She will most likely get a gaming laptop as those have better specs, even if she does not use it for gaming. The only PC game played in our home is Sims 4, but that is not the only video game.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Yes
    My husband built mine. I needed something that would hold anything I throw at it and there is nothing out there that would do that.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2018
    No

How come @So_Money?

I find it shocking that so many people would drop upwards of $1000 just to play one game. Not only that, but some have done it twice since TS4's release.

It is not too shocking. We have 3 laptops and a desktop in the house. We replace/hand me down every 3 years or so. Although my current laptop can play the game, I am handing it down to my 7 year old and getting more powerful one for myself. The one she was using can only play Sims 4 on medium settings, and yes she plays it. That one replacing my 80 year grandmother's computer that is from 2000. She just wants one that will allow her to write since she is a freelance writer. Basically, it is a regular cycle to replace or hand down. In 2021, we will purchase to replace another computer since my teen will need a new one for college. She will most likely get a gaming laptop as those have better specs, even if she does not use it for gaming. The only PC game played in our home is Sims 4, but that is not the only video game.

I find it shocking. You aren't required to.
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Yes
    Not gonna lie. After my desktop died, several tech-minded friends tried to convince me to rely on a tablet or a laptop. While it wasn't my only reason for replacing my desktop, it was definitely in the top 3.
  • Options
    Yes
    @So_Money

We have many extended family members that can not financially replace their old computers as needed. Since my husband is into IT and does the upkeep on computers in their homes, most of the time we hand down our computers that are only 2 or 3 years old. The computers we replace from their homes are normally 6+ years old and normally have many issues. It may not be a required, but I think we do it as we see needed. I have a large extended family that we help, so us replacing about every 3 years is just normal.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes
    I will say yes because I have a separate computer for gaming/especially Sims. I do most of my internet surfing and work on a different computer than the one I "sim" on.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes

How come @So_Money?

My current pc cost just under 750'ish and runs TS4 on ultra smooth as butter and is about 3 years old. I don't believe I could justify myself spending 1000 on a pc since all I do on it any more is play when I manage the time.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,922 Member
    No
    I did upgrade my PCs for fifteen years since The Sims came out but I've given up until the PCs that will play it well get back under the £1000 mark.
    My three year old laptop is still keeping up with it on Medium settings and cooler pad as it had loads of RAM and a quadcore Nvidia card so I'll give up Sims when that fails. I'm playing it less and less anyway these days.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    ladybreid wrote: »

How come @So_Money?

My current pc cost just under 750'ish and runs TS4 on ultra smooth as butter and is about 3 years old. I don't believe I could justify myself spending 1000 on a pc since all I do on it any more is play when I manage the time.
    So would you think then that it would be better to use something like $700 or $800 on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6O8IZW/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_b710gst_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=0BZARXT6P0MC938TG1FK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=04a5c22f-e81b-50bd-ab92-d44ae8c8f7f5&pf_rd_i=6427871011 for your gaming?
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Yes
    Voted yes because I did buy a new graphic card for Pets (my old one died randomly a few months back). I don't play anything else right now.

But yeah... that was maybe $130. I'd upgrade components but probably not buy a brand new PC.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    Erpe wrote: »
    Yes. Just because we "only play sims" does not mean that's not enough of a reason to buy a new computer , lol. And I actually like running on high settings without having any lag , so that's why I would buy a new one. I'm not sure why that's shocking at all @So_Money

I plan to buy a powerful desktop in a month or so. I don't need anything else really, so yes.

No one's saying that playing TS4 exclusively isn't a good enough reason to buy a new PC--who am I to judge that? It surprises me is all I'm saying. After all, buying a new PC is no small expense, and coming from a guy with a two-year old at home and another on the way, it's a monetary outlay that's hard to fathom from my point of view.
    Yes. You are in another situation where you also don’t have so much time for gaming. This is completely different from those of us whos children already are adults and where we live in our own house which we already have paid for such that we don’t even have any dept in the house anymore. We have both more time for gaming and often also much more money to use on our hobby.

How do you know others don't have time for gaming? You gotta stop with these assumptions based on your own experiences. Not everyone is in the same situation @Erpe!
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,314 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    I put a lot of upgrades into a franken-pc to be able to play Fallout 4, and I haven't had any issues with anything else I've tried to run on it. Nevertheless, I play the Sims 4 on a laptop I bought in 2013, at the highest graphics setting and with all DLC and a few GB of CC. It's basically the only game I CAN play on that laptop that's newer than say, early 2015. It also can't handle Sims 3 with all the expansions installed. If it crapped out (and I'm sure it will) I'd try to replace it with another laptop as high end as I could afford in the hope of it lasting another 3-5 years. My desktop will probably just keep getting periodic parts replacements as needed.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Yes
    ladybreid wrote: »

How come @So_Money?

So would you think then that it would be better to use something like $700 or $800 on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6O8IZW/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_b710gst_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=0BZARXT6P0MC938TG1FK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=04a5c22f-e81b-50bd-ab92-d44ae8c8f7f5&pf_rd_i=6427871011 for your gaming?

Not for me personally but that's because I don't play console games. It does look sleek and pretty though :)
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    Yes
    The Sims is basically the only game I still play, so yes, if my computer can't run the Sims anymore, then I will buy a new one.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Yes
    To begin with, TS was the only game I could play on my old computer but some of the things like the cutscenes for the baby would not work and had to be on a low graphics setting and if there is one thing I can not stand is low graphics!!! So when my last computer ended up dying on me I went and got myself a proper gamers computer and never looked back. So, yes I did but then I found some MMORPG games that play very nicely on this computer hehe
  • Options
    mypugrocks3mypugrocks3 Posts: 184 Member
    Yes
    I literally just bought a laptop for this reason...
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Yes
    Yes. Just because we "only play sims" does not mean that's not enough of a reason to buy a new computer , lol. And I actually like running on high settings without having any lag , so that's why I would buy a new one. I'm not sure why that's shocking at all @So_Money

I plan to buy a powerful desktop in a month or so. I don't need anything else really, so yes.

No one's saying that playing TS4 exclusively isn't a good enough reason to buy a new PC--who am I to judge that? It surprises me is all I'm saying. After all, buying a new PC is no small expense, and coming from a guy with a two-year old at home and another on the way, it's a monetary outlay that's hard to fathom from my point of view.
    Yes. You are in another situation where you also don’t have so much time for gaming. This is completely different from those of us whos children already are adults and where we live in our own house which we already have paid for such that we don’t even have any dept in the house anymore. We have both more time for gaming and often also much more money to use on our hobby.

How do you know others don't have time for gaming? You gotta stop with these assumptions based on your own experiences. Not everyone is in the same situation @Erpe!

I don't think it's a far off base assumption. They have a 2 year old and one on the way, probably work as well. That leaves very little time to just sit around and game, vs a retired older person that's children are grown. That's all @Erpe was saying. :|

And I think it's valid and no reason to get all bent out of shape over. :s

I can tell you from experience, my two oldest (24 and 17) and my youngest (11) does not require the attention they did at 2 years old, or even 6-7 years old and I have a ton of free time to do as I please with (I just usually "please" to play computer games with them). My oldest is out of the house, my 17 year old plays games with me but also does his own thing most of the time and my youngest spends her free time either playing games with me or doing her own thing. That leaves me a ton more free time than I had when any of them were 2, 5, or 7 years old. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2018
    It seems like people dont understand that just because sims is not important to them that others might feel differently. For some its a way to try to keep busy. I have ocd/anxiety and compulsive mood swings so i like this light hearted video game.

Dont get upset over how others spend their money. If our computer doesnt run our sims game well, and we dont just want to "give up" on sims then there is no reason not to.

As for having children, stay at home parents like me find the time. My daughter is counting, identifying every number, object and animal you can name, talking fluently and shes a toddler. I dont get to go places much, so if i want to play a game as an outlet, i shall.

And i love computers, even without video games. I love new things and shopping. If only people could relax and allow others to enjoy things without their baseless judgment :)
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No
    If it was only to play The Sims games, then no -- but likely a new computer would help with other tasks/games as well it would make a good investment.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes

It isn’t an assumption that you don’t have so much time for gaming when you have a 2 yrs old child to look after and take care of. It is a fact! I tried it myself years ago. So I know ;)
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Yes
    The Sims was always my favorite game and I have all generations on PC. I'd buy a new PC to play it even if it didn't have great specs, in case mine broke or something like this. It would be a PC because of the bigger screen and better specs, laptops usually don't have good graphics card and screen in the same machine and they are more expensive for what you get. When I travel I only bring an iPad for watching videos, I wouldn't bring a laptop to a trip, as I want to enjoy it not play games.
  • Options
    Yes

It isn’t an assumption that you don’t have so much time for gaming when you have a 2 yrs old child to look after and take care of. It is a fact! I tried it myself years ago. So I know ;)

You can't really claim that. I am a stay at home parent and had plenty of gaming time, even when my kids were 3 years and younger. Personally it was (and still is) in 20 to 30 minute increments, but I also left my game on pause to do things like laundry, meals, homeschooling, childcare, and cleaning, for up to 8 hours. In that 8 hours, I might played only 2 or 3 hours. Btw, my kids current ages are 14, 7, and 5. It is harder now, because they want to do gaming and that is why we own multiple computers.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    Scobre wrote: »

I'm actually surprised on how many have said yes here on the forums!
    Me too. I hope it is ok I shared this thread with the Gurus on discord. I'm just loving the poll system.

Of course @Scobre! What discord is that?
    BobSquad: https://discord.gg/EsjD3AN
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No

You can't really claim that. I am a stay at home parent and had plenty of gaming time, even when my kids were 3 years and younger. Personally it was (and still is) in 20 to 30 minute increments, but I also left my game on pause to do things like laundry, meals, homeschooling, childcare, and cleaning, for up to 8 hours. In that 8 hours, I might played only 2 or 3 hours. Btw, my kids current ages are 14, 7, and 5. It is harder now, because they want to do gaming and that is why we own multiple computers.

Eveyone is different (and this is starting to digress) but it can certainly be a factor depending on circumstances. For example, both my wife and I work full-time, and my commute is about an hour each way with traffic. Stack a two year-old on top of that and at times it's tough. I don't generally play on weeknights unless the stars align. Weekends are easier, but even then a two hour sims session is rare--especially given that I play other games too.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes

I can think of plenty of people that have toddlers and find time to do their hobbies...so it is an assumption. Again, just because you're a parent with a toddler doesn't mean in the slightest that you don't have time for your hobbies. Your situation isn't fact for EVERYONE!