Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    iheartsimsforeveiheartsimsforeve Posts: 82 Member
    Yes
    Yes. Already did that :)
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    Yes
    I actually intend to save up for a gaming laptop in the next couple months, after I finish saving up for a wedding I'm going to. Mostly it's gonna be to play Sims, though there's a few other games I'm looking at getting in the future as well. The laptop I have now works fine still overall but it can't play Sims, plus the cord is dying so I need to get a replacement for it.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Yes
    I like to "game" so it's not just the Sims but if it started failing to play I'd have to seriously upgrade or buy a new one.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,552 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    No, to be accurate I build instead of buy a manufactured one, and the games I play have much higher requirements than Sims games.
    So my sims games just benefit from the other games I play. I recently built a new one.
    20171022_180154.jpg

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    No
    I wouldn't even consider it. I'm glad it came to consoles! Now they just need to add stuff like the ability to share.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Yes
    Well I recently bought an MSI Aero 1080 gpu during the big holiday sales, so... sure? It wasn't intended specifically for Sims 4 but it sure runs like a dream on it since I've used it. :D I'd say upgrading my PC was worth it anyway. Trying to hold off as long as I can before having to buy a new one though.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    Yes
    Yep, I had to. The game was awfully laggy and wasn't able to play on ultra high res.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Yes
    Yes! I actually did that. The Sims is really the only game I play so when I bought my gaming laptop I bought it with all The Sims specs in mind. It's almost 4 years old now but still plays it amazingly. I'm still ready for a new one though, I'm hoping maybe next year sometime. :)
  • Options
    ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    Yes
    I did it last month :# I reasoned it that my old computer was 6+ years old, and it was time for a new one (especially for school), and then I bought my first gaming computer!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes
    I did actually, just before Christmas. It was my gift to myself. Thank you me. :)
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Yes
    Had to for Cats & Dogs
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Yup! But I'm not sure why. My cheap hp laptop runs this game just fine. Regardless. So not sure why I would need to buy another one, until this one goes kaput...
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Yes
    I did.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,003 Member
    Yes
    I said Yes, primarily because I started playing Sims with Sims2 back in the summer of 2005. I only had a laptop, that at the time we made the purchase, I decided against gaming capabilities. (I was suffering writer's block and knew if my young son asked to use my laptop to play a game I would, being the softy that I am, say yes. I was afraid he'd be on the laptop playing away when I'd get that much-needed spark of inspiration.) I never dreamed I'd be playing electronic games — not in a million years. So, hubby called me from his office one day to inform me that in about three weeks' time, my new computer would be delivered, telling me to watch out for it. He made sure that Dell put it together, keeping in mind that I would be playing Sims2. That was my very first gaming rig. It served me very well, with only needing a new vid card after Sims2 Pets, and didn't die until nearly three years ago. By then I was already into Sims3 and ST was installed.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I did it already :smile:
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,206 Member
    No
    No, but when the computer breaks down I might buy (or build, still thinking that might be better) a new actual gaming computer since I do play more than just the Sims and I have a laptop I can use for my work. I also think I'll be investing in a better desk and chair too, which I'm already in the process of shopping for, but the computer is a few years off.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    CK213 wrote: »
    No, to be accurate I build instead of buy a manufactured one, and the games I play have much higher requirements than Sims games.
    So my sims games just benefit from the other games I play. I recently built a new one.
    20171022_180154.jpg

Yes, but you had to buy the parts to build it, correct? It looks awesome btw! I wish I could build a PC since it's much cheaper than buying one, but sadly, that's not one of my talents. :mrgreen:

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes
    Yes, since the release of The Sims I upgraded, and purchased new pcs at least six times let alone the many times of rebuilding and changing parts.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,185 Member
    Yes
    I thought looong and hard before answering because this question stumped me. Its yes, btw :lol:

Reason: I HAVE done so for other games. Not the Sims, per se but others online-multiplayer games that require a decent gaming rig. This computer was bought because my old one was stopped handling my games and I wanted to try new games as well that I knew my ancient rig would not be able to handle. If I was still on my old computer I wouldn't have bothered buying Sims 4.
  • Options
    LucyxMCR10LucyxMCR10 Posts: 3 New Member
    I did, would not do it again.
  • Options
    PaulaodomPaulaodom Posts: 22 Member
    Yes
    Yes
    I have done it three times so far. Once because my old laptop wouldn't play Sims 3, second time because Sims 3 wouldn't play with cc. The one I have now was because Sims 4 couldn't play on high settings and took forever to load. I also realized that while my other computer played the Sims 3 my new one played it so much better. No lag & animals didn't glitch. If expansions keep getting bigger I might need to look at a bigger one later. As of right now I am still doing good.
  • Options
    IndrewIndrew Posts: 77 Member
    No
    No. $500 plus investment for a $20 game is not something I would do. Only time I update is if over all the computer is having struggles running everything or if there is a marked improvement in graphics or speed.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,314 Member
    No
    I have bought computers, or upgraded them significantly, to play other games, but I wouldn't necessarily do it for the Sims. I might accelerate an upgrade or purchase if I thought it would help the game but it wouldn't be solely for that.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Yes
    aricarai wrote: »
    I asked the same question on twitter, so I'd be interested to see what the forums have to say on the subject.

Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
    14% NO

I have 3 times one for sims 2 one for sims 3 and now this one for sims 4 LOL Am I addicted or what?
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    Anyone else have the feeling that the top brass at EA are all high-fiving each other and clinking champagne glasses while reading the results of this poll?