Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS

Challenge #173 is now officially closed!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    #174 - Phoenix Rising

You open the package on your desk, carefully parting layers of snow-white tissue paper to find a framed copy of a feature article written about your firm and published in your beloved Dwell magazine. Nikolaj and Elin Dahl were so pleased with the job you did on their new home that they collaborated on the article, Nikolaj singing your praises and Elin showcasing some of your more recent builds in a full-color spread. Tucked inside is a small folded note card that reads, “Thank you for helping us find a little Hygge in a strange land. We are forever grateful. Wishing you the happiest of new years! Love, Elin and Nikolaj”

Rose startles you with a tap on your office door. “Your 10:30 is here already. She’s a little early. Should I send her in, or are you busy?”

“Oh!” you say, glancing at your watch. Nine-fifty-eight. She’s early indeed. “That’s fine, Rose. You can go ahead and send her in.” You hastily clear your desk, mentally picking out the perfect patch of wall upon which to hang your new gift.

A somewhat unkempt young woman enters your office, the proud jut of her chin at odds with her torn, stained jeans and tangle of chestnut hair. Are those bits of leaves in her hair? She sets down a worn knapsack and a tattered bed-roll before extending a red, wind-chapped hand to you. “I’m Tess. Tess...Barrett.” She says her last name hesitantly, and you wonder why for a moment when it hits you.

“Barrett? Any relation to Francis and Bitty Barrett of Bridgeport?” you say, thinking of the high society couple and their opulent waterfront villa just across the bay from downtown Bridgeport. At the mention of their names, the young woman’s eyes flash before she takes a deep breath.

“They are my parents. Or were.”

“Were? What happened, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“Well, as I’m sure you’re aware, my father is the head of the board at Sacred Spleen Memorial Hospital in Bridgeport. Ever since I was a little girl, he has groomed me to become a doctor like him, buying me medical textbooks and even a model skeleton for my 8th birthday in hopes that I would follow in his footsteps. Nevermind that I cannot stand the sight of blood. I have tried for years to make him understand that I will never be a doctor, but he just won’t listen. When I got my acceptance letter to the art school at Sims University, I hoped that he would finally let go and realize that I’m meant to be an artist rather than a surgeon. Instead, he went into a blind fury, declaring that the only way he would pay for my degree was if it was a medical degree. I pleaded with my mother to help me change his mind, but she was too busy with her bottles of expensive nectar to be of any use. So I told Francis in no uncertain terms would I ever go to medical school. And that’s when he disowned me.”

“Wow, I cannot…” you breathe, unable to complete the thought, mind reeling at this young woman’s story. “How long have you been on your own?”

“It’s been one year to the day since he threw me out with nothing but a backpack of clothes and the money I had in my wallet,” Tess says, her eyes flashing again.

“A year? Where have you been living since then?” you ask, flabbergasted.

“I haven’t really had a place of my own. I’ve slept on park benches, friends’ couches, and even in the library. I’ve showered and washed my clothes in the restroom at the community pool. I told myself I would spend a year trying to find ways to make money and save enough to buy myself a small place to live...maybe even finally go to college to earn my art degree. I have scraped together enough for a small home, and I’m hoping you can help me stretch every simoleon.”

“That’s just...incredible! Ms. Barrett, I would be honored to build your first home. My firm and I are very adept at using cost-saving techniques and maximizing our clients’ money. What is it that you’re looking for exactly?”

“I have already purchased a small 10x10 lot, so it’s going to be a tiny house. I need one bedroom, one bathroom, a functional kitchen/eating space, a living room, and somewhere to work on my art. I’m trying to build my portfolio to re-apply to Sims University in the fall, and maybe get a scholarship. Oh, and if there is any way to work in my own laundry area, that would be fantastic!”

“I can have it ready for you in one month’s time. Does that work for you?”

“It does. Thank you for your help. I will be in touch.” Tess shakes your hand again, hoists her meager belongings onto her back, and strides out of your office with her head held high.

The Brief:
    This is an unusual challenge to kick off the new year. You must make Tess Barrett (artistic, brave, charismatic, friendly, and frugal) and play her for up to a full Sim-year, not to exceed 40 in-game days. You must move Tess onto a 10x10 lot of your choice, in a world of your choice. It may be necessary to build a temporary structure in Edit Town to move her in, and then demolish it so the lot is empty again. Once she is moved onto her 10x10 empty lot, delete anything in her inventory, including her camera if you have WA. She should only have her high school diploma and her cell phone. Then, using the FamilyFunds cheat, set her household funds to $300. To do this, type CTRL-SHIFT-C and enter “testingcheatsenabled true” in the cheat box without the quotes. Then open the cheat box again and type “familyfunds barrett 300” without the quotes. Turn off testing cheats (testingcheatsenabled false). Then you have up to 40 Sim days to play Tess as a homeless sim, finding ways to fulfill her basic needs while making as much money as you can. You may not travel to university, the future, or a vacation world; Tess must live on the streets in whichever town you will be building her micro house. You may use sleeping bags and the tent in buydebug, or befriend other Sims so you can sleep over. You will have to be very creative. No cheating to raise her meters or artificially increase her relationships! Your budget is whatever you have managed to earn at the end of 40 Sim-days (or whenever you stop if you can’t play that long). Then, with that money, build her a micro house including:

-Budget is based on what you earn by playing Tess Barrett
    -10x10 lot (this is free, does not come out of your budget)
    -one bedroom
    -one bathroom
    -kitchen/dining space
    -living room
    -art space
    **bonus laundry room, if the budget allows

Optional Challenge:
    Show Tess throughout her year of living on the streets and tell us what she did to make it on her own. Did she get a part-time job? Did she save up for a guitar and play for tips in the subway? Did she dive in dumpsters? Let us know!

Deadline: Monday 29th Feb 2015
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    This looks different and fun! If I have time, I'll give it a go.

I did make a house for the last challenge but ran out of time with the holidays and didn't get up-to-date pictures taken before the deadline. I'll post the link sometime soon anyway, just to share.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @suzses, so sorry you ran out of time! As for the new challenge, you have two whole months to complete it. Hopefully that will help everyone who wants to participate have enough time!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    I LOVE this challenge! TWO months! And it's a leap year too. Awesome. I can't wait to begin!

Happy new year everyone.
  • Options
    glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    Time ran out for me on the last challenge also. I uploaded it to the exchange but somehow lost all my photos. Then I was taken ill so was unable to retake the photos again. Feeling better now and looking forward to this next challenge. Happy New Year everyone!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Aw, sorry you lost your photos and were sick @glen1974. I'm glad you are feeling better now and looking forward to this challenge. I'm loving it so far.

What about selling the uni bucket and portal for into the future... allowed or not allowed? And what about keeping the freebies that come with the unit bucket... allowed or not allowed? And... is getting a job allowed? My sim wants be a stylist.
  • Options
    EleneKEleneK Posts: 142 Member
    OK. So I have my Sim and she has been on for 5 sim days now. I' know I'll lose track before I hit 40. I know there is a way to check how long a sim has been around. But I forgot how that is.
  • Options
    SymphonicechoSymphonicecho Posts: 11 New Member
    edited January 2016
    Hey guys, thanks Suzses - the Ungles were very fun to make and consider what their lives would be like. I hope anyone who dls them enjoys them as much as I have since the comp ended.

Few questions about the new comp:
    1) Can we sell found or created items as we get them?
    2) Can we use items found or created as we get them?
    2) Can we spend money obtained 'legally' (as in earned or sold found items) to build a temporary building or do we have to wait till the end of the 'year'?
  • Options
    Okay, let's get these questions answered.

@ciane, you may not keep the money from selling the uni basket or the portal, as those are things Tess wouldn't have had on her when she left. Delete those things along with anything in her inventory, and then set her family funds to $300. You can have her get a job.

@EleneK, you should be able to hover over the clock area to see how many days/weeks have passed. When I play tested, I set my seasons to each be 10 days long and started day 1 of winter, so when winter came around again, I knew my time was up. If you have Seasons, that's what I would recommend.

@Symphonicecho, anything you find legally out in the world or make yourself is yours to sell. Collectibles, animals, paintings, etc. Anything you find in the dumpsters can also be sold. You can use items found (i.e. produce from community plants to eat), but you are not allowed to build her any sort of dwelling until her "year" is up, as the idea is for her to be homeless for a whole year. You are also allowed to buy things as you get the money, like a guitar, an easel, or a laptop.

Let me know if anything else needs to be clarified. Happy simming!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    What about gardening?
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Ooh, this one is interesting too! I may just have to do this one - and I can't resist a micro-build! :)
    Brilliant brief xx
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    What about gardening?

That is allowed. :smile:
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    Can I buy a camera?
    Also have just created a let's play on youtube to follow my Tess, I've just realised that I'm such a hard task mistress to my sims! 4 days and still no friend :D
    If interested: youtube.com/watch?v=7vTIk_TjgJc
  • Options
    I meant to mention earlier... just putting a basement on the lot (no cost) will let your sim purchase the lot.

Another question: Do they have to stay in same town or can they move towns?
  • Options
    Can I buy a camera?
    Also have just created a let's play on youtube to follow my Tess, I've just realised that I'm such a hard task mistress to my sims! 4 days and still no friend :D
    If interested: youtube.com/watch?v=7vTIk_TjgJc

I couldn't play the video. It said it was processing the video and to check back later.
  • Options
    finally finished processing, should be good to go :smile:
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    I meant to mention earlier... just putting a basement on the lot (no cost) will let your sim purchase the lot.

Another question: Do they have to stay in same town or can they move towns?
    They can move :)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you for always answering so quickly. FYI, you can follow along with my Tess in my siggie.
  • Options
    You are welcome @ciane . I know, I have been checking in with her now and again!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I played her round the seasons of 7 days each and she made 65,000 as well as having stuff in her inventory. I think she'll have plenty to build her house and go to university.

• Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Well, I played her round the seasons of 7 days each and she made 65,000 as well as having stuff in her inventory. I think she'll have plenty to build her house and go to university.

I'm using 10-day seasons, starting at the beginning of summer, and I have plenty for a house even before winter (I was thinking I don't want to spend too, too much on such a tiny house on a 10x10 for a frugal sim, ya know). I haven't bought anything other than the small tent and a street art kit, however, because there's an easel and guitar and most anything else I'd want to be found at the fire station. Flower picking is a gold mine. That's the majority of what my sim is doing (some gardening and a little painting); she doesn't even have a job.

Have been enjoying your story. :)

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Can I buy a camera?

As long as you have the funds for it, absolutely!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member
    Hey, Has there been any word on the advanced results for challenge no. 173 the Fall designer showdown? I saw that the intermediate results were posted a while ago, but no advanced.
    I'm enjoying this new challenge, it's good to have a goal to work towards sometimes in sims just to keep the game from getting too
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • Options
    @mederouin - apologies for the delay in getting these results back to you, they are being worked on.

And yes, it is nice to have something a little different to do with our Sims occasionally ;)
    GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top