Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New blog post and Windenburg pics

Comments

• Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I saw that too, and it's a cute addition for immersion since I would rather see fx sheep than that blasted steamboat, but it's still just fx. :( We won't be able to interact with the fluffy sheep. ::moment of silence for the sweet sheep::

I know, but if it's rolling countryside with fx sheep it will help with the immersion of a farm type of lot. I may then move my couple that are living off the land over there if the lots look right!

I would love for there to be no other background houses in rows, but rather rolling hills with sheep! It would really help with their story!

I definitely agree! I remodel a lot of my neighborhoods to host old Victorians, Tudors, and spooky haunts. It's all very immersive until I get to the edges of the neighborhoods. >.< The immersion is broken then by the modern architecture in the backdrops. Windenburg is going to be glorious for this! I would definitely prefer rolling hills with sheep to all those houses in the backdrop! I'm excited for it, but it kind of really makes me want pets now. LOL

::imagines making a TS4 episode of "When Angry Chickens Attack":: lol

I'm also dying to see some more of the CAS items.
    Ditto! I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far in regards to new CAS items. I can't wait to see more.

I hope you get to see the real pictures soon. I love Victorian houses and that type of scenery. I just can't break out of it since TS2. I rarely build and or play modern houses. They are nice and pretty but I usually tear everyone of them down in Willow Creek. lol

You and me both! I know a lot of peeps love the modern themes, and more power to them, but I mourn the loss of the rolling countryside and that "old world" experience.

I will have to count on many of the talented simmers to make me some old farmhouses. I am not good with that style.

There are some great English farm lots on the gallery. They are just perfect for this world. I have some of them in my game and replaced the big park with one of them. If I can think of the creator I will link it. It would be perfect for this world. They've been on there since last year.
    Actually Windeburg would be more of a Scottish town because of the monster in the loch.

Then you better tell Maxis, lol, they said they were influenced by Germany, recently.
    Don't know what to tell them except that there are no monsters of that type that's ever been reported being spotted in any lake in Germany. But there has been of one of that type that has been reported of being spotted in a lake in Scotland though.

LOL. I have a friend that just screams the renders and houses don't even look like the Europe they live in and is totally wrong, so I guess it's a Sim thing.
    I don't know where your friend lives in Europe, but I can assure you that there are places that still have Tudor style buildings in Europe today. In fact I am European, by blood and birth. And I'm pretty certain that I still have family over there.

I know there are tudor houses and raves and all that. I watch a lot of the Travel Channel. lol Or Discovery or whatever. I'm just sayin' they make suggestions of what is wrong here and there with some of the scenery. I don't know, it's them saying it, not me. But I liked the picture with the sheep in it. That looked pretty realistic and true to me. The whole scene. I have a friend in Wales and it reminded me of those pictures.
    I just don't understand how your friend who claims to live in Europe can say that there are no Tudor style building left in Europe any more. But anyways, I wasn't saying that you were saying that. I was just assuring you that your friend that said this was in fact wrong about what Europe looks like today. In fact, the Dev team at Maxis is correct. There are modern building mixed in with the Tudor style building in Europe today.

• Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    edited October 2015
    I just don't understand how your friend who claims to live in Europe can say that there are no Tudor style building left in Europe any more. But anyways, I wasn't saying that you were saying that. I was just assuring you that your friend that said this was in fact wrong about what Europe looks like today. In fact, the Dev team at Maxis is correct. There are modern building mixed in with the Tudor style building in Europe today.

Europe or Great Britain? I thought the Tudor style was an GB style named after the Tudor Monarchy. Like the Victorian style was named after Queen Victoria?

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member

Europe or Great Britain? I thought the Tudor style was an GB style named after the Tudor Monarchy. Like the Victorian style was named after Queen Victoria?

So-named in English, yes, but the style (for very practical, structural reasons) was found through much of Europe. Not sure what it's actually called elsewhere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

So-named in English, yes, but the style (for very practical, structural reasons) was found through much of Europe. Not sure what it's actually called elsewhere.

Not sure about the architectural style either, but the general building technique is timber framing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing), the wikipedia page has quite a lot of examples from Europe for those interested.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member

I have lived in the UK, Germany and Holland. I've also spent allot of summers (and winters skiing) in Europe. I've said this before but to me its a pretty decent mesh up of allot of Countries. The tudor style housing is obviously very British, BUT the timbre framing can be seen in many european countries as well. I lived in a 'listed' tudor building, this meant it was protected and couldn't have anything added to it and could only be repaired by people who had the correct qualifications... My aunt and uncle often go on canal boat holidays around Europe, in fact Amsterdam's canals (holland) are a very beautiful and prominent feature! The screen shot of the sheep that recently emerged reminded me of visiting wales with its rolling hills, the loch ness monster obviously reminded me of Scotland. In the UK we have lots of small islands, especially to the north of England, that only house a few people!

Honestly to me? It may have started as a more german themed concept but I feel they have drawn more from the UK than the rest of Europe... But hey i'm not gonna complain!

Photo of the Loch Ness with its ruins (Urquhart Castle) In the foreground!
    LochNessUrquhart.jpg

Oh as a second thought the train tracks is a hugely european thing to me.. why? because a popular thing for teens to do after they finish college and before they go to uni is to go around Europe on the trains and see the sights! (okay it may have just been my friends but nearly half the people I knew at college did it! It's called InterRailing and can involve allot of dodgy hostels if your not careful!) Then after uni everyone seems to disappear off to Australia :P

tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Neia wrote: »

Not sure about the architectural style either, but the general building technique is timber framing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing), the wikipedia page has quite a lot of examples from Europe for those interested.
    The Tudor style is a general term use to describe a structure made of mud bricks or stone walls, and exposed heavy wooden beam. With an over-hanging second floor. And some even have basements. So if you are planning to build one of these with a basement in your game. You would not be wrong in adding a basement to your Tudor style building.
    These buildings got their name because the style in which they were built in came about when the Tudor family ruled England. Much like how the Victorian style houses got their name, and the same can be said about the Queen Anne style houses too.
    ETA: Do not be mistaken that all styles from the old world got their names from the person or family that's ruling England at that time. There is another style out there, and it's Louis Style, named after King Louis The 14th of France. But Louis style is usually tied to glassware and fashion, and not a particular style of a building. And there others as well like Edwardian which is also name for a particular style of fashion as well.

• Options
    edited October 2015

The Tudor style is a general term use to describe a structure made of mud bricks or stone walls, and exposed heavy wooden beam. With an over-hanging second floor. And some even have basements. So if you are planning to build one of these with a basement in your game. You would not be wrong in adding a basement to your Tudor style building.
    These buildings got their name because the style in which they were built in came about when the Tudor family ruled England. Much like how the Victorian style houses got their name, and the same can be said about the Queen Anne style houses too.

Only in English though, "structure made of mud bricks or stone walls, and exposed heavy wooden beam. With an over-hanging second floor" still exist in non-english countries, but they aren't called Tudor.

Regarding your edit, I would even say that each countries has had a different architectural history and named the era according to their own history. I had never heard of Queen Anne or Edwardian style for example, and neither Tudor nor Victorian style exists in France. On the other hand, there's half a dozen furniture styles based on all the Louis french rulers (not just the 14th) and several architectural styles, that you probably never heard of :)
    Post edited by Neia on
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    It's not like we are trying to recreate Europe, but rather have a European feel to it. It's The Sims, not reality. Being European myself, I tried to capture as much diversity as I could, but Europe is crazy big and broad and it would be really impossible to capture everything.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I think you did a pretty good job, Windenburg really screamed "Europe" as soon as I saw it in the trailer.

The one thing that is missing is townhouse, though I guess there might be some technical challenge in it.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited October 2015
    It's not like we are trying to recreate Europe, but rather have a European feel to it. It's The Sims, not reality. Being European myself, I tried to capture as much diversity as I could, but Europe is crazy big and broad and it would be really impossible to capture everything.

Could you slide us a few more pictures of Windenburg so we can fully appreciate the European atmosphere @SimGuruMeatball ? <3:D LOL

What I have seen of the town looks glorious, and I'm excited for a new theme that isn't so modern! I look forward to exploring Windenburg and checkout the new features in GT. We would sure appreciate a few more shots to admire, though!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options

Only in English though, "structure made of mud bricks or stone walls, and exposed heavy wooden beam. With an over-hanging second floor" still exist in non-english countries, but they aren't called Tudor.

Regarding your edit, I would even say that each countries has had a different architectural history and named the era according to their own history. I had never heard of Queen Anne or Edwardian style for example, and neither Tudor nor Victorian style exists in France. On the other hand, there's half a dozen furniture styles based on all the Louis french rulers (not just the 14th) and several architectural styles, that you probably never heard of :)
    Well Queen Anne style was in fact named after Queen Anne. And the Edwardian was named after King Edward. There's also one other that you probably never heard, and it's call Georgian. Named after one of the King Georges of England. I am fully aware that each country has it's own names for the styles with in their own borders. This is very obvious when you go to China or Japan. You won't find the names of styles from the Western counties there. But they do have names for their own styles that they had back then.

• Options
    sule94947sule94947 Posts: 11 New Member
    Concept art .... we're going to tease you, the majority is all bogus background, not interactive, same smoke and mirrors as the base game.
  • Options
    rbubblesrbubbles Posts: 158 Member
    I feel like apartments would tie really well with this ep, especially with this world style, since it looks like the houses in the more central area are really packed together.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited November 2015
    @LunaNova @SimGuruMeatball I see some of Slovenian towns and cities in the city center fountain and the bridges around center and cafes XD
    Also the rural areas are so similar
    Ljubljana:
    The-Robba-fountain-in-front-of-the-Town-Hall-and-the-Cathedral-of-St.-Nicolas-in-the-background_full_page.jpg
    vodnjak-na-bregu-dunja-wed.jpg
    c8711900fdb6f5adcb38141ccdbf4771.jpg
    Ljubljanski-grad.jpg
    River boat:
    Ljubljana_in_Ljubljanica.jpg
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Kranj:
    kr4.jpg
    1.jpg
    The rural areas in Windenburg:
    view-from-celje-castle-rogaska-slatina.jpg
    Celje view from the castle ruins:
    IMG_0276_stari_grad_celje_razgled_big.jpg

Sorry for spamming with pics!!! XD
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    I think it's beautiful
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Beautiful images @GaiaPuma

I can't wait to get Windenberg now.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I saw that too, and it's a cute addition for immersion since I would rather see fx sheep than that blasted steamboat, but it's still just fx. :( We won't be able to interact with the fluffy sheep. ::moment of silence for the sweet sheep::

I know, but if it's rolling countryside with fx sheep it will help with the immersion of a farm type of lot. I may then move my couple that are living off the land over there if the lots look right!

I would love for there to be no other background houses in rows, but rather rolling hills with sheep! It would really help with their story!

I definitely agree! I remodel a lot of my neighborhoods to host old Victorians, Tudors, and spooky haunts. It's all very immersive until I get to the edges of the neighborhoods. >.< The immersion is broken then by the modern architecture in the backdrops. Windenburg is going to be glorious for this! I would definitely prefer rolling hills with sheep to all those houses in the backdrop! I'm excited for it, but it kind of really makes me want pets now. LOL

::imagines making a TS4 episode of "When Angry Chickens Attack":: lol

I'm also dying to see some more of the CAS items.
    Ditto! I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far in regards to new CAS items. I can't wait to see more.

I hope you get to see the real pictures soon. I love Victorian houses and that type of scenery. I just can't break out of it since TS2. I rarely build and or play modern houses. They are nice and pretty but I usually tear everyone of them down in Willow Creek. lol

You and me both! I know a lot of peeps love the modern themes, and more power to them, but I mourn the loss of the rolling countryside and that "old world" experience.

I will have to count on many of the talented simmers to make me some old farmhouses. I am not good with that style.

There are some great English farm lots on the gallery. They are just perfect for this world. I have some of them in my game and replaced the big park with one of them. If I can think of the creator I will link it. It would be perfect for this world. They've been on there since last year.
    Actually Windeburg would be more of a Scottish town because of the monster in the loch.

Then you better tell Maxis, lol, they said they were influenced by Germany, recently.
    Don't know what to tell them except that there are no monsters of that type that's ever been reported being spotted in any lake in Germany. But there has been of one of that type that has been reported of being spotted in a lake in Scotland though.

LOL. I have a friend that just screams the renders and houses don't even look like the Europe they live in and is totally wrong, so I guess it's a Sim thing.

Maybe inspired by this?

solvang.jpg

This is Solvang CA -- it's on the drive south from the San Francisco Bay Area (where EA is located) to Los Angeles. It's got a northern European feel from the architecture (and the windmills). Maybe some of the developers stopped there for lunch (and pastries) on the drive to/from the south part of the state and got some ideas for architecture.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LunaNova wrote: »

I have lived in the UK, Germany and Holland. I've also spent allot of summers (and winters skiing) in Europe. I've said this before but to me its a pretty decent mesh up of allot of Countries. The tudor style housing is obviously very British, BUT the timbre framing can be seen in many european countries as well. I lived in a 'listed' tudor building, this meant it was protected and couldn't have anything added to it and could only be repaired by people who had the correct qualifications... My aunt and uncle often go on canal boat holidays around Europe, in fact Amsterdam's canals (holland) are a very beautiful and prominent feature! The screen shot of the sheep that recently emerged reminded me of visiting wales with its rolling hills, the loch ness monster obviously reminded me of Scotland. In the UK we have lots of small islands, especially to the north of England, that only house a few people!

Honestly to me? It may have started as a more german themed concept but I feel they have drawn more from the UK than the rest of Europe... But hey i'm not gonna complain!

Photo of the Loch Ness with its ruins (Urquhart Castle) In the foreground!
    LochNessUrquhart.jpg

Oh as a second thought the train tracks is a hugely european thing to me.. why? because a popular thing for teens to do after they finish college and before they go to uni is to go around Europe on the trains and see the sights! (okay it may have just been my friends but nearly half the people I knew at college did it! It's called InterRailing and can involve allot of dodgy hostels if your not careful!) Then after uni everyone seems to disappear off to Australia :P

Great picture -- one of my favorite books has its climactic scene at Urquhart so it's really great to see that and get some perspective.

My husband would love to make a trip to the UK to ride the British rail system, maybe someday when we actually have money and don't have the family responsibilities to his mom. :/
  • Options

Didn't know you were European, @SimGuruMeatball -- what area? (My mom's family came from Germany.)
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member

Didn't know you were European, @SimGuruMeatball -- what area? (My mom's family came from Germany.)

I from Sweden. Never been to Solvang ;)
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I like the hint of Europe you have in Windenburg. A lot of American cities have hints of the countries and cities it's people came from. I look forward to exploring this city.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2015

I from Sweden. Never been to Solvang ;)
    Top-30-Funny-Minions-Memes-Minions.jpg

You should go. I used to live not far from Solvang. It's an adorable town. Probably not as cool as Sweden, but Pea Soup Anderson's pea soup is so yummy. I actually recommend checking that county out if you can sometime. It could inspire some of your art. Lake Cachuma is a neat area too.

Some pictures of the City.
    Solvang_John_Skaly_121602-950x639.jpg
    Tivoli_Square_Solvang.jpg
    solvang_puzzle.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @Scobre -- I haven't even been to Solvang itself yet, just near by in Buellton (for Pea Soup Andersen's). We were going to go on one of our last trips down to Southern California, but ended up having to drive back to where we'd stayed the night before because my husband forgot something really important. There's a yarn shop there that I really want to visit in person (I've seen them at some of the local knit/crochet conventions).
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Scobre -- I haven't even been to Solvang itself yet, just near by in Buellton (for Pea Soup Andersen's). We were going to go on one of our last trips down to Southern California, but ended up having to drive back to where we'd stayed the night before because my husband forgot something really important. There's a yarn shop there that I really want to visit in person (I've seen them at some of the local knit/crochet conventions).
    Aww I hope you get the chance to go too and huh I didn't know there were knit/crochet conventions. I love knitting and crocheting. I do know that area very well, but I haven't been back since the drought. I will be visiting a part of California I haven't been before soon. But yes I agree the EP does remind me of Solvang too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller