Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• Options
    Lydiaa88Lydiaa88 Posts: 173 Member
    I haven't started back up yet although I should. I may go spend the rest of the day recording after I finish the house.
  • Options
    nitrogen-cyanidenitrogen-cyanide Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone has some links to ancient civilization CC.
  • Options
    @nitrogen-cyanide There is a lot out there. I will see if I can find the house I saw earlier that was build in the style of ancient civilization. I will see if I can find it again
  • Options
    CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    So I don't know if this has been already asked but... I'm wondering if you're allowed to go on a vacation to Granite Falls in the Prehistoric Era? Since one of the lifetime goals is Outdoor Enthusiast?
  • Options
    FayeliFayeli Posts: 54 Member
    edited August 2015
    Creepsa - I am assuming you can. He talked about turning the local park into a national park. That being said, probably should only use the campsite and not one of the rentals?

Also, I noticed the prehistoric era is the only era that uses specific painting styles. After that, is it a free for all on what they can paint or does it remain locked (Which doesn't seem very realistic in my opinion)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I just started this challenge about a week ago. I love to create stories and such - but I'm not so diligent on posting them. So instead of setting myself up for failure - I won't post one! ahaha. (Unless you really want to see, but then you'll have to TWIST my arm.)

I have decided to do two generations to an era - simply because I love the idea of them and want to spend more time in each one. (I am a huge family player and always end up with babies faster than I might intend)

My family is currently chaos - Still in prehistoric era:

I started with Man Boulder and Woman Wolfe. Man has had several different mates - River Stream (Liberty Lee), Summer Sun (Summer Holiday), Flower Sweet (Eliza Pancakes), and a game generated sim (Whom I didn't change her name ..... and I didn't know was an alien until AFTER the kids were born. So she got a nice plot of land on the other side of town and I waited for them to be born. As they were considered human with no option to send them off - I moved the kids back.)

Man and Woman found a cave and have been 'tunneling' it out for more room as their family grew. Man has had all except the last mate move in at some point so they can leave their kids behind. He has had a total of 6 children (With more on the way.)

1st child is with River Stream - Named Rush (Son).
    2nd child with Summer Sun - Flame Sun (Son).
    3rd child (and Heir) with Woman Wolfe - Gronk Boulder-Wolfe (Son).
    4th and 5th with the generated woman - Misty and Dense Fog (twin daughters who have an awful, AWFUL birth defect that turned them purple.)
    6th child with Flower Sweet - Tulip Sweet (Daughter)

Man has sent all of his mates away, except for Woman. He still keeps relations with them and River has ended up pregnant again.

I have some photos but EA says I haven't done enough posts to show them - so .... sorry! (Also, I've been a member for years, SO NOT COOL EA)
  • Options
    I am going to be posting a speed build of the castle that I am using for my medevil area in the near future.. I am currently half way done building it

@Cloudseeker -- with me having to start in the middle of the challenge, what would you say is a good amount of money for my sims to start at?
  • Options
    CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @Creepsa Yes, you may travel to Granite Falls (or any other world) in order to collect exclusive collectibles or if a goal or aspiration requires you to go there. I'll clarify the rules on this matter in the next update. Only use the campsite though, at least until the later Eras.

@Fayeli The painting styles are only restricted to the Prehistoric Era, since the easel is really only supposed to be used for painting the family portrait during that Era. The Classic and Landscape styles are allowed just so that a Sim will be able to reach the level at which Paint From Reference becomes available. By the way, I love the names you have given your Sims :)

@Lydiaa88 Wonderful :) I'd say that in order to not just automatically get the "Have a lot value of 300 000 simoleons" goal of the Middle Ages, you can give your Sims 250 000 simoleons, which include the cost of the castle (so if your castle ends up becoming worth more than that, you'd sadly have to take away some part of it), just to make it fair.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    @Cloudseeker I am just gonna give them the 250,000, and build their house from that.
  • Options
    @Lydiaa88 That works absolutely fine :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
  • Options
    UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    I have a question! In what era are you allowed to start having parties?
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
  • Options
    UniSims wrote: »

You are free to throw any type of party at any time you want. Of course, it may be difficult (or impossible) to get gold medals in the early Eras due to object restrictions, but the concept of parties and the type of party is only restricted by what you feel makes sense and is appropriate for the current Era :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    UniSims wrote: »

You are free to throw any type of party at any time you want. Of course, it may be difficult (or impossible) to get gold medals in the early Eras due to object restrictions, but the concept of parties and the type of party is only restricted by what you feel makes sense and is appropriate for the current Era :)

Thanks!
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
  • Options
    SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Hey guys! I'm going to start posting Let's Play videos on Youtube for this challenge, the first episode is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPgabSye2Qo

@Cloudseeker If you could add this to the LP list and take my old one off (since I'm not playing it) that would be awesome :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • Options
    @ewright9 Awesome, I'll make sure to watch them :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    @Cloudseeker Hey I'm sure you're in the process of updating the items list but I was wondering if with the spa day game pack we can use things like the yoga mat, meditation table, etc in the prehistoric era. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @ewright9 I haven't actually been able to get my hands on anything after Get To Work yet (there's been a lot of other thing that have required my time and money), so I have no idea what items and gameplay mechanics are in the newer packs. If you have time and feel up to it, I'd love a list of the new items and what they do, so that I can add them. Until then, just go with what you think makes sense :)

I should be getting some more time on my hands soonish though, so no worries if you don't feel like compiling item lists for an hour or two :p I'll just do that when I'm able to, if that's the case :)

EDIT: Oh, right, I added your new Let's Play to the main post, but I kept the old one still there, just marked it as "discontinued", just in case anyone still wants to look at it. If you still want me to actually remove it from the list, let me know :)
    Post edited by Cloudseeker on
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    I have finally gotten around to doing a rules update, where I covered most of the questions that have been asked. Please check the main post for the details. I also updated the scoresheet accordingly, so please redownload it if you use the scoresheet.

Since I still haven't got my hands on any of the Game/Stuff Packs that came after Get To Work, and thus do not know about the details of the objects and gameplay mechanics they contain, this update does not cover those Game/Stuff Packs. I'll do another update once I know what objects and gameplay mechanics I need to make rules for.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @Cloudseeker
    OK! I did a little research on the spa day game pack (wellness skill). The wellness skill can be gained in three ways: 1. Doing yoga, 2. Meditating, and 3. Giving massages. Now, meditating and giving massages can have some serious advantages (teleporting, and a fertility massage, for example). But yoga's major benefits are the 8 hour moodlets that can be achieved-- a +1 focused, inspired, or energized moodlet. Yoga also counts as exercise for losing weight and toning muscles, and the yoga mats are portable. Yoga is a source of fun (about as much as fishing) and will steadily raise the wellness skill but Sims will just do more yoga poses at higher levels with only the mat to work with. My recommendation would be to allow yoga mats in all eras, but not allow meditation stools or massage tables until maybe the roaring twenties or even the modern age, unless you wanted to go for a sort of monk Sim. All in all, the wellness skill with just the yoga mat isn't something that would be a huge priority for early eras (since they're focused on fishing for dinner and such) but could be a fun thing to have to relieve tense moodlets and help Sims get focused.

Edit: I got info for the wellness skill here: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/spaday/wellness/
  • Options
    @ewright9 Oh right, I had completely forgotten about Carl's Sims 4 Guide. Now I feel dumb :p Thank you very much for finding this out for me, it is a very good start. Once I find info on any new item types of the stuff packs, I'll do another rules update, but I will at least allow the Yoga Mat in all Eras.

Thanks again for all that you do :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    @Cloudseeker
    So, I had a thought. Just for credibility's sake, I'm a music education major and am currently taking a music history class. These are by no means something you HAVE to implement into the challenge, but if nothing else it's interesting to learn a bit about music history.

Let's begin in the middle ages, rennisance, and romantic eras, which for the sake of the challenge let's call early civilization. During this time, music was largely religion-oriented, and the most popular instrument of this time was, well... the voice. Obviously since there is no singing skill in the Sims 4 (to my utter disappointment) that doesn't really matter much. Instruments in this time were somewhat derpy and the most advanced was the violin. My suggestion for early civilization: Make violins available instead of guitars, and allow Sims to perform the following violin skill interactions: practice violin, discuss violinists with other Sims, bow for inspiration, play traditional songs, play songs from the romantic genre, serenade other Sims, promise to dedicate songs to other Sims, bring Sims to tears with the violin, write/scrap/name songs, and mentor Sims in the violin skill. I realize this is getting very picky and might not make sense to people who don't know the history of music in this era. Therefore, I would suggest at least changing the instrument of this era to violin, and removing the guitar.

Moving into the baroque and classical period, which for the challenge I would classify as the middle ages era. Instruments are becoming more developed and religion is beginning to lose its hold on all music. Composers would now sign and take credit for their works, even if it was written for church services. The piano has now been invented (before it came the harpsichord and a couple other early versions of the piano. The most significant difference between these instruments was their sound and ability to play soft or loud--which they couldn't until the piano was invented.) and it is appropriate for the piano to be in this era. My suggestion would be to make the piano now available (still not the guitar), and allow Sims to perform the following interactions: Violin: Sims may now also play concertos, license songs with the mailbox, and play classical songs. Piano: Sims may practice piano, rhapsodize about sonatas, play traditional songs, plunk for inspiration, play concertos, play songs from the romantic genre, listen/learn from other Sims with high piano skill, serenade other Sims, promise to dedicate songs to other Sims, write/scrap/name songs, play classical songs, license songs, and mentor other Sims on the piano skill. My minimum suggestion is to simply make the piano now available in this era, so all instruments are available except the guitar. This will not affect Sims pursuing the entertainer career, as the piano and violin can meet all requirements for the career.

In the old west era, instruments are still evolving and the guitar has now been invented (yay!). My suggestions would be to not allow guitars until this era, and allow the following instrument interactions: Violin: Sims may now also play songs from the country and swing genres. Piano: Sims may now also play songs from the country and swing genres. Guitar: Sims may practice guitar, strum for fun, enthuse about guitar solos, pluck some inspiration, jam, play country songs, serenade other Sims, play ballads, lull Sims to sleep, promise to dedicate songs to other Sims, write/scrap/name songs, play classical songs, license songs, and mentor other Sims in guitar. My minimum suggestion is to not allow guitars until this era.

In the industrial age, people are communicating and becoming more aware of different cultures. My suggestions would be to now allow Sims to perform the following interactions: Violin: Sims may now also play songs from the eastern music genre. Piano: Sims may now also play songs from the Latin genre. Guitar: Sims may now also play songs from the Latin genre.

For the roaring twenties, people are really letting loose and experimenting with new instruments and styles of music. My suggestions would be to now allow Sims to perform the following interactions: Violin: Sims may now also appreciate classical music on the radio. Piano: Sims may now also appreciate classical music on the radio, play blues songs, play ragtime songs, and "jazz up the place". Guitar: Sims may now also appreciate the blues, play blues songs, and play jazz songs.

And finally in the modern age, everything is up to date and all instruments have been invented. My suggestion would be to allow all interactions for all types of instruments.

So if you made it this far in reading, I hope I was able to provide some insight on the progression of musical history :) I'll update this as I learn more, so let me know what your thoughts are on this!
  • Options
    @ewright9 Hmm, very interesting. I had always thought that plucked string instruments (lute, shamisen, sitar etc) were among the earliest, that's why I gave Early Civilization the guitar. Although giving players such in-depth restrictions might be a bit overkill, considering music is not really a major part of the challenge, I like your ideas. I could definitely switch the instruments around and restrict the major stuff like licensing and possibly genres (although genres could possibly be left to the judgement of the players). I'll make some notes in my update document and see what I can come up with for the next challenge update :)Thank you for the suggestions! :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @ewright9 Hmm, very interesting. I had always thought that plucked string instruments (lute, shamisen, sitar etc) were among the earliest, that's why I gave Early Civilization the guitar. Although giving players such in-depth restrictions might be a bit overkill, considering music is not really a major part of the challenge, I like your ideas. I could definitely switch the instruments around and restrict the major stuff like licensing and possibly genres (although genres could possibly be left to the judgement of the players). I'll make some notes in my update document and see what I can come up with for the next challenge update :)Thank you for the suggestions! :)

You're right, those instruments did come before the violin, but they are actually closer in structure to a violin than to a guitar, they're just played differently (and even then, there is a string technique used for violins meaning plucked string). The violin was "completed" long before the guitar as we know it today was, which is why it is considered an earlier instrument. You're totally right about having a lot of restrictions and I completely understand, I just wanted to give you the most historically accurate option possible so you could work your way back from there. My own musical sanity would be perfectly happy with just switching the guitar and violin :) . Perhaps you could provide "historical suggestions" that included not just music but other little picky suggestions for more restrictions people can play by, but don't have to.
  • Options
    I noticed that the stoves moved up but fridges were not. From what I remember, you cannot cook on a stove without a fridge. Or is there something I'm not thinking of? (Which I am prone to.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top