Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Story Progression

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Tyw7Tyw7 Posts: 316 Member
    bludhound wrote: »
    granthes wrote: »
    Perhaps there is the hooks necessary to do a story progression, perhaps not.

I've found what appears to be a story progression hook in the form of a tunable timer (in real seconds) in story_progression/story_progression_service.pyo. It also has a tunable list of actions which will be triggered by the timer. _StoryProgressionAction is defined in story_progression/actions.pyo, and it has "virtual" functions which can be implemented in new actions.

So new kids and promotions part of the list?
  • Options
    ErisineErisine Posts: 156 Member
    I am not holding my breath for a SP mod. Without a hardcoded base, any attempt to fully script StoryProgression into the game will probably result in horrendous lag, noticeable 'update cycles', and limited functionality. Remember that EA chose to keep the Sims 4 as a 32-bit application, so I doubt they made any consideration to how the game would run with heavy mods. External scripting, which mods depend on, entirely depend on there being pre-existing hooks in the game engine to 'catch on to' and get data and send instructions to the game. You can't just "make" those things out of thin air.

Of course, I do think it's possible EA may eventually provide those hooks, through quiet, undocumented patches and EPs, because they fully expect the community to do their work for them and still rake in the usual profits. (Forgive me for being a cynic, but part of me believes this is the real reason for supporting modding.)

It's so sorely needed, though. If one's made that won't actually destroy a game, I'll be first in line to download and test it.

I'll enjoy messing around with Sims 4, but I'll probably get bored after the initial 'new' wears off and I realize that all of my neighborhood friends have absolutely NO relationships with anyone besides me, and I'll just go back to the Sims 3.
  • Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    It's already been stated that one of the biggest SP mods (NRaas) did NOT use the hooks EA put in the game, so that's not really a requirement. In fact, based on @bludhound's findings, I'd imagine that a SP mod is almost a guarantee at this point. Just need to find someone with the time/will to make it happen! ;)
  • Options
    kdluvshersimskdluvshersims Posts: 291 Member
    This thread is bookmarked. Please add me to the "list" of interested simmers. :D
  • Options
    Let's just get this out there: I'm a programmer myself (having worked on several indie games and dabbled in Sims 2 modification for a short time). In my opinion, adding fully functional Story Progression is... unlikely. @Erisine said it best with their post above.
  • Options
    rikkiroserikkirose Posts: 74 Member
    edited September 2014
    > @SweetTartTori said:
    > cheerlover2012st wrote: »
    > i am actually hoping someone that works on nrass mods will make a story progression for sims 4 :x i like using it sims 3
    > That would be awesome. I use that mod in sims 3 and can't play without it.

Me too. I hated the base sp in the Sims 3, half the time the sims I wanted to keep in the town would move away or die while I was playing another family. I love using nraas on the Sims 3
    I am the walrus?
  • Options
    HenekHenek Posts: 36 Member
    I think many of you are looking at it the wrong way. As I have stated earlier Story Progression is not very well defined and you have to decide what type you want. One approach (and I might be wrong is used by Twallan's) is to actually get the Sims to perform the action, this in Sims 4 is both hard and performance intensive as it would involve simulating multiple lots at the same time (or use away actions). The other way is to just run a scheduled script that updates information about the sims at regular intervals. This second way is the one used by EA in Sims 4 (yes there is progression, just not fleshed out) and it can be extremely intensive or not intensive at all depending on how much is calculated and how often the scripts are run. Saying Story Progression is a base feature is constraining it to something it is not. The Sims 4 should not have a Sims 3 style story progression, it should have a Sims 4 style progression. In regards to hooks, what is needed is to be able to read and change game data and to run a script periodically, both are available. We might see a couple of approaches to story progression, some good, some bad.
  • Options
    bludhoundbludhound Posts: 297 Member
    edited September 2014
    Tyw7 wrote: »
    bludhound wrote: »
    granthes wrote: »
    Perhaps there is the hooks necessary to do a story progression, perhaps not.

I've found what appears to be a story progression hook in the form of a tunable timer (in real seconds) in story_progression/story_progression_service.pyo. It also has a tunable list of actions which will be triggered by the timer. _StoryProgressionAction is defined in story_progression/actions.pyo, and it has "virtual" functions which can be implemented in new actions.

So new kids and promotions part of the list?
    It's not already in there, but I think it can be implemented as a brand new action. Basically, whenever the timer is triggered, the action can check a few conditions, and create new kids or alter careers accordingly. It's just manipulating data, and making sure it's done in a reasonable amount of game time so the game will run smoothly.
  • Options
    I hope we can get story progression, it would add tons more fun for me.
    SP + the emotions would make a PERFECT combo together! :D
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    I'm sure this has been mentioned, but you can turn off townie aging or turn it on. I actually want to play through a couple generations to see what happens as families die with aging on for the whole world.

That said, I DO want SP :) However, with such limited space for sims to expand into, there would be definite disadvantages to baby booms and what not. It would need to be something that can be controlled like limiting families to x number of kids. With SP in TS3, I would have a problem with no place to live after a time. So this is something to consider.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited September 2014
    I would like S.P. and M.C. I am looking for building skills and relationships faster. Also, new features would be nice. :)
  • Options
    HenekHenek Posts: 36 Member
    It will be a while before there will be a Story Progression mod, first of it takes time to make such a mod. But most importantly we have yet to receive the modding documentation from EA and no one has of yet figured it out by themselves. So, it will be a while.
  • Options
    Nothing_is_SoundNothing_is_Sound Posts: 2 New Member
    > @esharpmajor said:
    >
    >
    > It's like Sims 2 except with the option to just lose all your neighbours and have them be replaced with townies. Who does that appeal to?!
    >
    >

It appeals to me. I've always hated the idea that three generations of sims can all have the same BFFs as children. It would be nice if they allowed a family to have children and grow up and have generations, etc. But meh. I play for my family's story, not the story's of every one else.
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    > @esharpmajor said:<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > It's like Sims 2 except with the option to just lose all your neighbours and have them be replaced with townies. Who does that appeal to?! <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It appeals to me. I've always hated the idea that three generations of sims can all have the same BFFs as children. It would be nice if they allowed a family to have children and grow up and have generations, etc. But meh. I play for my family's story, not the story's of every one else.

I'm glad to hear it works for you! I ended up getting Sims 4 off origin with the pessimistic intent to return it, but I am actually kind of enjoying it. Much more goal oriented, more about unlocking things, and accomplishing tasks, but it's fun! I certainly miss many aspects of Sims 3, but 4 feels so much like 2 to me! I loved Sims 2! :D At any rate, they included the option to turn the ageing off for played families, allowing me to play the old rotational style that I used to enjoy so much, while still allowing townies and families I don't interact with to age. Very happy that they allowed for that option, and that they have provided people like you an option as well! Good stuff. That said, I would still prefer true story progression. :)
  • Options
    chantalwapachantalwapa Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2014
    Guys, for those who are interested on Story Progression, here we have a tip that will help us while we're waiting for the wonderful artist who will create and share the Story Progression Mod.
    With this trick, we can make inactive households have child without playing that household.

Credits to simsvip and for DerMonarch this update, Thank you for this <3!!

simsvip.com/forums/threads/do-it-yourself-story-progression.354/

Hope this will help someone!
    Simmer from Portugal
    *Waiting for StoryPogression = Much Drama Stories! Praying the gurus sharing it in a soon update!*
    Waiting also for these features to be added to our TS4: Unrequited love, Chemistry System Turn On and Offs, Fears and Wants System, Zodiac Signs and another TS2 cool features.
  • Options
    jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    There are actually many problems without it. For instance, you have a house with 2 sims. They go to the park together. The one you currently control goes to work. This teleports you and the sim back to the home lot before the sim goes to work. Now you have control of nobody. And the sim at the park has no menu when clicked. Immersion destroyed.

Another immersion destroyer, you see a sim out on the sidewalk, you call them on the cell, you talk to them, but looking out the window? They never answer the phone.

Cheap programming. And the little bit of story progression they left in, aging, doesn't work.
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 721 Member
    edited September 2014
    Not bad, good for a start though. :D

Edit: I checked the unplayed household list, all I can say is WOW!
    Lots of sims, far more than what appears on sims 3, there's about over 100 unplayed on me list.
    :O

Good thing I have aging on, it will help with making them die of age.
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    123w4123w4 Posts: 42 Member
    i realy hope ther do this mode bt even without it i just ignore this fact in game i liked ea stotryprogressen but ins sims 4 it does not change the things i wanne do ( have 3 selfe made sim and on sim that just moved in , an friend of my sim Don Latherio becaus i like him and wann have futher sims with him, he was havib make a baby with a simmin i know and afew days after wee makle her pregnent ( she obiosly doesent knowe it) was realy angry .. man he fealt sooooooo unpleasent in this situation though
  • Options
    corithnaspalcorithnaspal Posts: 5 New Member
    > @chantalwapa said:
    > Guys, for those who are interested on Story Progression, here we have a tip that will help us while we're waiting for the wonderful artist who will create and share the Story Progression Mod.
    > With this trick, we can make inactive households have child without playing that household.
    >
    > Credits to simsvip and for DerMonarch this update, Thank you for this !!
    >
    > simsvip.com/forums/threads/do-it-yourself-story-progression.354/
    >
    > Hope this will help someone!

That was a great find! Tnx for taking the time to share it. It's something that I imagine most people would eventually realize who both know the "testingcheats true/cas.editfullmode" as who care about story progression. However the article does a great job of laying it all out in an easy to follow manner. And in a very real way this provides players with a greater degree of control over what is happening in their town.

I imagine that eventually what we will see is an external application that opens our save game files and performs a maintenance pass over our neighborhoods/worlds to simulate this each time we launch the game. By not having to run on top of the game rendering engine performance would not be an issue, and if the author of such an application also included an auto launch once it completes. It would then be virtually invisible save for whatever time it would take to run.
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    They just need to bring back the EA story pro even theres would be nice, would be better than nothing. I did notice that when I was not in a house sims were collecting stuff when I was not there so there has to be some programing in there somewhere for it.