Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighborhood Stories OFF button

Where is it?? I play on rotation and I really do not want these neighborhood stories killing my game. I know it is minimal now but they are making plans to make it more complex and I don't want it. I hated it in Sims 3 and I do not want it in my game now.

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    This was only a sort of preliminary patch. The custom options will be coming in the next couple of patches, as I understand it. Right now, Sims who are friends with the current played household will call here and there asking if they should or shouldn't change something and the player makes the choice. The calls aren't any more frequent than before. I'm also a rotational player and I've been playing with various households and so far I haven't found anything aggressive nor any unwanted or unexpected alterations.

I also hated SP in Sims 3 so I'm very critical about this new development but so far everything is fine and for now, I feel okay about it.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Someone in another thread said you can silence sims phones and not get any phone calls that way. Maybe that can act as an off button?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Someone in another thread said you can silence sims phones and not get any phone calls that way. Maybe that can act as an off button?

Silencing the phone won't prevent your sims from receiving phone calls and text messages. It just won't make a sound when they come.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    Just say 'no' and nothing will change.

I believe an 'off' toggle will be coming at a later date.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    This was only a sort of preliminary patch. The custom options will be coming in the next couple of patches, as I understand it. Right now, Sims who are friends with the current played household will call here and there asking if they should or shouldn't change something and the player makes the choice. The calls aren't any more frequent than before. I'm also a rotational player and I've been playing with various households and so far I haven't found anything aggressive nor any unwanted or unexpected alterations.

I also hated SP in Sims 3 so I'm very critical about this new development but so far everything is fine and for now, I feel okay about it.

I agree it hasn't been too much for now. My problem is when they continue to add stuff to this system. I hope there is an awareness that not everyone wants story progression in their game. Frankly, I don't want to be bothered with the phone calls and I shouldn't have to deal with it. When implementing things like this on a base game level, they should always make it optional.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Does no affect the relationship between the one who called and the one who answered? There were times I answered it is up to you and the other sim was like thanks for nothing. I didn't check to see if the relationship changed but I really hope they consider an off button sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited December 2021
    keekee53 wrote: »

Does no affect the relationship between the one who called and the one who answered? There were times I answered it is up to you and the other sim was like thanks for nothing. I didn't check to see if the relationship changed but I really hope they consider an off button sooner rather than later.

I haven't updated my game yet but they should make an ignore option. These "thanks for nothing" replies sound like the game throwing a tantrum because you didn't play along. Someone posted this reply in another thread: "Make my own decisions? With no one to guide my actions? Why does this feel weird?"
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    lunaoddity wrote: »

I haven't updated my game yet but they should make an ignore option. "Thanks for nothing" replies sound like the game throwing a tantrum because you didn't play along. Someone posted this reply in another thread: "Make my own decisions? With no one to guide my actions? Why does this feel weird?"

Yes, this is a good point. I think the one thing the devs didn't offer is an "ignore" option or a way to "X out" of the pop up window. Then again, I suppose we don't actually have to answer the phone at all. Still, it would have been nice to have a failsafe way to just close the window with nothing changing, no decisions at all.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited December 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    lunaoddity wrote: »

I haven't updated my game yet but they should make an ignore option. "Thanks for nothing" replies sound like the game throwing a tantrum because you didn't play along. Someone posted this reply in another thread: "Make my own decisions? With no one to guide my actions? Why does this feel weird?"

Yes, this is a good point. I think the one thing the devs didn't offer is an "ignore" option or a way to "X out" of the pop up window. Then again, I suppose we don't actually have to answer the phone at all. Still, it would have been nice to have a failsafe way to just close the window with nothing changing, no decisions at all.

Then again, we can't ignore the chance cards from school/jobs/parenthood. :D

Edit: Those are different from sims "communicating" with each other. So hopefully we do get an option to simply close the pop up window.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member

Saying No is not the same. For example, in another thread someone reported Jacques Villareal asking Morgan Fyres whether he should change his career. That man is a criminal mastermind and Morgan could be his daughter. The phonecall is character-breaking and therefore poses a serious problem for story-oriented players.

That's why I want an option for the game to skip households marked as played. A complete off switch would be even better, of course.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

Saying No is not the same. For example, in another thread someone reported Jacques Villareal asking Morgan Fyres whether he should change his career. That man is a criminal mastermind and Morgan could be his daughter. The phonecall is character-breaking and therefore poses a serious problem for story-oriented players.

That's why I want an option for the game to skip households marked as played. A complete off switch would be even better, of course.
    Oh, I didn’t think about the idea that he could be Morgan’s father. Hmmm, interesting. Maybe it’s a good thing Hugo awkwardly left when she flirted with him.

The second phase of this update will let us designate each household’s participation in Neighborhood Stories, if I understood the blog post correctly. I wish they’d have waited for that to roll this out.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I have mentioned this before in the dim and distant past, and it is very unlikely it will be done, but the game needs an overhaul of the options altogether.

Many complex simulation type games such as Crusader Kings have very deep game setup options, where game parameters can be adjusted with either selecting values or in some cases sliders so the player can balance the game to their taste by selecting the severity of some mechanics or disabling them altogether. Of course a player has the option of ignoring these altogether.

In addition, many options are provided on the main HUD of these type of games - autonomy and aging options would be excellent candidates for this in Sims 4, IMO.

Mods like MCCC go a long way towards alleviating this problem in Sims 4 and would not be surprised to see the option to disable neighbourhood stories in that mod.

However, mods don't help the console player. I have not played the console version so not even sure those players can set 'testingcheats', so the option to disable should certainly be provided if just for those players - also lob in a few cheats for them for good measure :) Perfect for the new DRM - er, I mean Smart Delivery. I suspect in many cases console players would appreciate more game options rather than a new coat once in a while
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    I feel that if a gameplay feature is not tied to a specific object or a specific lot challenge (which are all optional), it needs to have an on/off toggle in the settings menu. And the toggle needs to be on a per save basis. Even features I want to use in one save, I don't necessarily want to use in all my saves.

I want to be able to choose which systems I use or don't use in each of my saves depending on what kind of story I want to be playing.

Some of the features I really want on/off toggles for:
    -Neighborhood stories
    -Sentiments
    -Sims outside of the active household acquiring likes and dislikes on their own
    -Random events like alien abductions and vampire attacks
    -The Strangerville mystery

They gave us good on/off options for fame, weather and lifestyles. Why didn't they give us those same on/off options for the other systems?
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    I feel that if a gameplay feature is not tied to a specific object or a specific lot challenge (which are all optional), it needs to have an on/off toggle in the settings menu. And the toggle needs to be on a per save basis. Even features I want to use in one save, I don't necessarily want to use in all my saves.

I want to be able to choose which systems I use or don't use in each of my saves depending on what kind of story I want to be playing.

-Neighborhood stories
    -Sentiments

They gave us good on/off options for fame, weather and lifestyles. Why didn't they give us those same on/off options for the other systems?

YES YES YES YES!!!

As others have said, when you have your own Neighborhood story going on, it is a distraction to have character-breaking events going on. Story Progress was the main reason why I did not enjoy Sims 3 because it was hard to rotate households with that going on. I get people play legacy and want things going on in other households without intervention but please give us rotational players an OFF button.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited December 2021
    I haven't updated my game yet, so I'm still playing the prior version but I definitely do not want neighborhood stories. I use MCCC and I prefer to keep using it rather than have EA screw up my game and my sims relationships. I'll patch my game when they patch this patch and add an off switch.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

-Neighborhood stories
    -Sentiments

All of this sounds great.

I also wish they'd have given us the option to turn off Likes/Dislikes per save. I had already been using my own personal likes/dislikes system from the get-go, because my sims care about far more than just colors, music, or skills. In my story-focused play likes and dislikes mean something, but the game version doesn't add anything but unnecessary and meaningless social interactions to spam (and they do it autonomously way too much). After trying it, I stopped using the game mechanic for most of my played sims, so I really don't need it at all. Sadly, I have no option to also turn it off for unplayed sims. The best I can do (which is far less than adequate) is to edit random townies and such whenever I come across stuff that makes no sense. Like a case a couple of days ago where I discovered a fitness instructor at a gym who disliked fitness. :unamused:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I haven't updated my game yet, so I'm still playing the prior version but I definitely do not want neighborhood stories. I use MCCC and I prefer to keep using it rather than have EA screw up my game and my sims relationships. I'll patch my game when they patch this patch and add an off switch.

That's exactly how I feel, I don't use MCCC for any type of story progression but I don't want EA to mess with my families lives and I 1000% do not want a bunch of interrupting phone calls disrupting my story. Especially after seeing some of the ones people have gotten. (IE: a grandmother asking her toddler granddaughter if she should switch careers).

And since I had zero interest in the "manly" kit they just put out, I have no need to update the game and will pass on any new DLC that's upcoming until they add a complete "OFF" toggle for Neighborhood Stories.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited December 2021
    babajayne wrote: »

Oh, I didn’t think about the idea that he could be Morgan’s father. Hmmm, interesting. Maybe it’s a good thing Hugo awkwardly left when she flirted with him.

The second phase of this update will let us designate each household’s participation in Neighborhood Stories, if I understood the blog post correctly. I wish they’d have waited for that to roll this out.

Oh my, I'm giving my poor man Jacques a bad reputation here! I meant to say that he is old enough to be Morgan's father, and that I cannot see him valueing her advice that much. (On a sidenote, in one of my saves it was the other way around: Hugo had an unrequited crush on Morgan. Maybe we should swap our Morgans, lol.)

I'm very much looking forward to the fine tuning options.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

Oh my, I'm giving my poor man Jacques a bad reputation here! I meant to say that he is old enough to be Morgan's father, and that I cannot see him valueing her advice that much. (On a sidenote, in one of my saves it was the other way around: Hugo had an unrequited crush on Morgan. Maybe we should swap our Morgans, lol.)

I'm very much looking forward to the fine tuning options.

Oh I get you now 😅😆
    I was thinking about her skin tone compared to Dominic’s and thought, well, that could be possible.

It is kind of weird that Jacques would care what Morgan thought, but she had just aged to a YA so it wasn’t as bad as if she was still a teen.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2021
    I refuse to update my game until this has an off switch. I've seen screenshots of weird scenarios that I don't want in my game like a mother asking if she should get to know her son better in a romantic way and also a boyfriend asking his girlfriend if he should get to know another sim in a romantic way. It appears to function quite poorly at the moment which is not surprise to me. I hope they will keep working to improve it.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2021
    Anyone already know what the calls asking whether Sim X should spend more time with Sim Y calls mean? Is ist just friendship or are they asking to involve in a romantic relationship as @Sharonia wrote?

I just got such a call from an elder female that is happily married with three children and the Sim she wanted to get involved in was a mean young adult who is also married - I was too scared to tell her she shall go for it, especially as I'm playing this familiy on rotation).
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I refuse to update my game until this has an off switch. I've seen screenshots of weird scenarios that I don't want in my game like a mother asking if she should get to know her son better in a romantic way and also a boyfriend asking his girlfriend if he should get to know another sim in a romantic way. It appears to function quite poorly at the moment which is not surprise to me. I hope they will keep working to improve it.

Are you SURE the mother was asking to get to know her son romantically or was it just vague? Because while accidental incest bugs have happened in the game before in the past; I'd be surprised if that managed to get out of testing. I can see a BF accidentally being assigned a "ask if they should spend time romantically with another sim" to a GF by the AI of the game, but I'm wondering if it just means platonically but is worded vaguely. I'd expect the BF to send a "should I propose/I found a ring in my SO's bag" to the GF text instead (seen a lot of that on the forums).
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    I had one Sim phone his daughter to ask if he should change careers. He’s already in a career which matches his aspiration, although he doesn’t actually need to be in the career for his aspiration (painting). So his daughter said no. It was an odd phone call… I mean, the daughter is only a child still. I’m not hugely bothered by this right now, I’ll see what happens if and when I get more calls.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I don’t think the should I get to know someone better is romantic. Someone posted a screenshot somewhere (here or Twitter I think) that showed what happened to the sim who asked after they went into their household. The green friendship bar went up and that’s it.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Anyone already know what the calls asking whether Sim X should spend more time with Sim Y calls mean? Is ist just friendship or are they asking to involve in a romantic relationship as @Sharonia wrote?

I just got such a call from an elder female that is happily married with three children and the Sim she wanted to get involved in was a mean young adult who is also married - I was too scared to tell her she shall go for it, especially as I'm playing this familiy on rotation).

The wording is confusing on some of the texts, it's hard to know what they mean. I don't see why a mother should want to get to know her son that she lives with more. He's her son, shouldn't she already know him well enough?