Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All packs prices increased by on many countries

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited January 2018
    apparantly it is against forum rules and that potentially means mentioning Amazon, Walmart, etc, etc, - EVEN ORIGIN itself might be agains the forum rules.

It's not totally clear, but it could just be a case that EA are going to target forum users based on the price increases..
    [Removed discussion of moderation]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Also Id like to point out that when the economy gets better packs don't go back down.

fireworksanimation.gif
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I always mean to wait for sales and after paying full price for cats and dogs and not even playing the game, I can surely now wait for big sales to add even if I am not playing.

Maybe someday the game will be worth playing again. And worth the money. Right now, it's not.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I don't understand why this question hasn't been answered.

To me, such a basic and rational question deserves an answer. The fact it hasn't been answered yet by EA is incredible to me.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    And I'm still interested in why the OP says this is a problem with Sweden.
    It definitely isn't.
    The price of this pack is NOT higher than earlier at release.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    And I'm still interested in why the OP says this is a problem with Sweden.
    It definitely isn't.
    The price of this pack is NOT higher than earlier at release.

I don't know why the price didn't change in Sweden, but according to EA it was supposed to change:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-extra-content-price-changes/

The exact phrasing is that starting Jan 15th prices will be adjusted. That's up or down.
    In fact, the very next section details that you're not eligible for refunds if you bought a pack before Jan 15th which means at least in some of the regions on that list the price went down.

That said, I checked their official pricing that very page links to and no price change. One thing I suspect is that if you pay in Euro instead of Swedish Crowns the price might have changed. Which is kind of technical but basically that would mean that if you have your Origin set to charge your account in Euro instead of in Crowns and still live in Sweden It might now have a different exchange rate so you would pay more Euros but the value in Crowns would be identical.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    In Germany stuff packs have cost 9.99 € since the first one was released.

Yes and I'm surprised that Eurozone countries like Italy and Spain are on the increase list. Have packs been cheaper there before?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I doubt EA will Change the prices because they just wanted too. I know EA is a greedy corporation, but I doubt they change this just because they wanted to. There must be an economic explanation in this price change.

maybe theyre going bankrupt? :#

EA makes 5.4 Billion dollars a year - they definitely aren't going bankrupt. They are one of the stocks in our stock portfolio for our 401k and our stock broker only keeps the top money making companies in our portfolio. No chance of them going bankrupt. LOL. But the prices they charge are related to the World trade laws - so when the laws change in different countries EA's prices has to change - they don't really have control over that as they are a public company being part of the stock market and World economy Trade rules and regulations.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Another reason to not buy a GP,SP or EP again. Way to go EA.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited January 2018
    I think there are several reasons.

1.) Licensing fees, trade agreements, and higher shipping costs can drive sales prices up.

2.) Prices are actually cheaper for simmers who pay in Euros if you look at the minimum wage of US versus say, Spain. Minimum wage in Spain is E8.84 where as US is $7.25. If you do some math, (for the sake of simplicity, we are not considering taxes) you will find that the U.S. worker has to work 1 hour and 17 mins to make $9.99 whereas the Spanish worker only has to work 1 hr, 7 mins. That means in the long run, some other countries are actually paying less than the U.S. even with the new higher prices. Countries that are not on the Euro or Dollar system (US, Canada, Australia) are not a main source of income, so EA most likely does not care about the affordability to that certain country since it's not a money maker to them, such as Brazil. They make most of their money in Canada, US, and Europe.

3.)
    Inflation. With recent upheaval with Brexit and various other events, the Euro has been flexing a bit. Last time I was in Europe, a Euro was $0.73 US dollar to every 1 Euro. Now 1 Euro is $0.81

In short, Economics stinks.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2018
    *deleted*
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I doubt EA will Change the prices because they just wanted too. I know EA is a greedy corporation, but I doubt they change this just because they wanted to. There must be an economic explanation in this price change.

EA makes 5.4 Billion dollars a year - they definitely aren't going bankrupt. They are one of the stocks in our stock portfolio for our 401k and our stock broker only keeps the top money making companies in our portfolio. No chance of them going bankrupt. LOL. But the prices they charge are related to the fair trade laws - so when the laws change in different countries EA's prices has to change - they don't really have control over that as they are a public company being part of the stock market and World economy Trade rules and regulations.

Now, why can’t EA come out and just tell everyone that? It would answer everyone’s question as to why and would make this thread completely moot. Maybe there is more to it than that? EA should speak up and set the record straight!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    oscarx2poscarx2p Posts: 27 Member
    > @alanmichael1 said:
    > Moderator_Gagea wrote: »
    >
    > In Germany stuff packs have cost 9.99 € since the first one was released.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes and I'm surprised that Eurozone countries like Italy and Spain are on the increase list. Have packs been cheaper there before?

I bought The Laundry Day ST for 9,95€ in Spain. I don't know why we don't pay the same price.
  • Options
    ehaught58 wrote: »

EA makes 5.4 Billion dollars a year - they definitely aren't going bankrupt. They are one of the stocks in our stock portfolio for our 401k and our stock broker only keeps the top money making companies in our portfolio. No chance of them going bankrupt. LOL. But the prices they charge are related to the fair trade laws - so when the laws change in different countries EA's prices has to change - they don't really have control over that as they are a public company being part of the stock market and World economy Trade rules and regulations.

Now, why can’t EA come out and just tell everyone that? It would answer everyone’s question as to why and would make this thread completely moot. Maybe there is more to it than that? EA should speak up and set the record straight!

How detailed do you need the info to be? That's basically what they say, in black on white, on that very page.
  • Options
    chxnelchxnel Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2018
    Apparently Spain's prices were supposed to change as well. They haven't changed here either, really sucks that it has changed for all of you, but buying them all on sale is soo much cheaper. I've been doing that and with rough calculations I've probably saved 150-ish euros! So as long as you guys can wait it could be kind of a "false" solution, but hopefully EA says something else about this or reacts to our complaints.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Companies on the stock market generally do not announce business - openly to the general market - it is unheard of, particularly when decisions like that were not their doing but part of the system that runs the US and world economy. Sometimes you see these things coming if you follow the stock market and all the stock market news- but usually not in relation to a specific item or company.

There have been small rumblings off and on - in stock market news that the overall costs of all video games in a lot of companies are too low - even if it seems high to the consumer - in comparison to price increases in many other consumer goods, video games in particular have not increased in comparison of the job market increases for the employees of these companies - so it costs the company more to make the game over all with no price increase in the product. As much as we don't want to admit it - there is an unfair balance compared to other consumer goods.

Also keep this in mind - I don't believe the price increase though had anything to do with the rumblings over video game being too low (otherwise we'd all seen an increase), but had to do with the countries in which there were price increases. I do know some earlier price increases happened because of a change in international trade laws and price increases on some US goods. EA still got what they always charged for the packs - but the countries with the increase got the increase money. EA did not get more money in that case. I have not read anything in regard to this increase yet - but it is early in the price rise if it is to do with those countries and not EA.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Let's not get into the discussion of the price of games, because then we'll weer off into Loot Box territory and then well... the abyss is the end.

Anyway, as I pointed out upstream, at least in some regions prices must be going down or they would not have had to put in a "no, if you bought the game before January 15th you can't get a refund if the price goes down after your purchase" disclaimer in there.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Let's not get into the discussion of the price of games, because then we'll weer off into Loot Box territory and then well... the abyss is the end.

Anyway, as I pointed out upstream, at least in some regions prices must be going down or they would not have had to put in a "no you can't get a refund if the price goes down after your purchase" disclaimer in there.

Well EA had to remove those - and that had nothing to do with the Sims - so no we should not be discussing those.

Hmm guess I can't discuss anything else right now - got to go. Later all.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    As a person with very limited money, having everything go up 20 percent is ridiculous! I have spent a LOT of time saving up for Get Together and now I can't even afford it anymore! (I am in Canada) Fifty dollars for an expansion pack is ridiculous!

Cdkeys has get together for $20.79 on sale.
  • Options
    Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    For a long time we were paying the same face price in Canada as in the US, but $10 US for an SP is almost $12.50 Canadian. I guess it's no surprise that someone finally noticed and raised our price from $10 Canadian for an SP to $13.

It's no surprise, but I'm not terribly pleased about it. I would definitely have at least liked to receive some sort of prior notification from EA that a regional price change was going into effect, rather than getting an unpleasant surprise when I went to buy the new SP.

I can live with it, but it certainly makes me nostalgic for the days when the CDN was on par with the USD.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    [quote="luthienrising;c-16267468"][quote="Lomelindi7;c-16267449"]Yeah this is outrageous. I already thought $40 CAD for an EP was a bit steep. Increasing it to $52 before tax (which is 11% total where I live, bringing it to almost $60) just makes it easy for me to finally say goodbye to this game. $60 used to be the cost of a new base game. Now I’m expected to reach into my threadbare pockets and shell that same amount out for an Expansion pack. I would never buy a stuff pack for $13 either. That’s just nuts. It was barely worth $10. It’s not at all worth $13. Just no. The economy right now is getting worse and worse. We are paying more and more just to live. We are taxed on everything in Canada too. We are taxed on groceries where I live. When everything costs more and more, I can’t justify throwing money at a video game. I’ll save and buy a game I know I’ll truly enjoy. And put some aside for my child’s future. So long, Sims. [/quote]

For perspective, though, that $40 CAD = $32.20 USD. We Canadians were getting a bargain compared to Americans, who were paying $40 USD, for [i]years[/i] while a lot of other companies didn't let us pay in CAD at all. That said, some warning would have been [i]very[/i] welcomed by a lot of users. Along with an explanation. [/quote]

This is so frustrating. I am somewhat new to this game. Had we been given warning of the price increase I would have taken advantage of the Thanksgiving and Xmas sales. I've paid for regular priced packs before, but the price increase has only made it easier for me to make a decision to wait for sales from now on.
    I wonder if the price increase has anything to do with the game being released on consoles? My sister decided to pick up the PS4 version as her laptop cannot handle games. I couldn't believe the base game for PS4 cost $60 CAD plus taxes....and that was around xmas time when the base game for pc was on sale for $10.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member

How detailed do you need the info to be? That's basically what they say, in black on white, on that very page.

Well, obviously the very short excuse they gave was not clear or complete enough. Other wise this thread probably would not exist now would it? @Writin_Reg did such a better job of explaining it. Clear and simple, don’t you agree? Thanks Writ! :)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Stuff Packs in the UK have increased from £7.99 to £9.99. I wasn't too happy with the £7.99 price tag anyway- but in all fairness all Sims 3 Stuff Packs were £9.99 and added far less gameplay.
  • Options
    Stuff Packs in the UK have increased from £7.99 to £9.99. I wasn't too happy with the £7.99 price tag anyway- but in all fairness all Sims 3 Stuff Packs were £9.99 and added far less gameplay.

And that's because the British Pound has taken a pounding compared to the Euro, while the Swedish Crown is really strong right now compared to it.
    Again, this is not a price hike. This is because they're want their profits to remain the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top