The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kids can't walk dogs?!

My kids can teach tricks to the dogs, take care of them, and even learn the pet training skill, but for some reason they can't take them for a walk like the adults. Is this a bug or is it a voluntary decision from the developers? I find it really frustrating and strange. If indeed it is on purpose, I definitely don't understand that decision. Surely kids should be able to go play in the neighbourhood, and take their dog with them?

Also, this has nothing to do with it but since I am talking about things that I am not sure are bugs: I taught my cats to go pee outside, and even had the notification they had learnt it, but they still ask for a litter box every time they have to go, and pee inside if I don't give them one. I even have the option "scold for peeing inside" whenever it happens, even though they already learnt to go outside. Is this a bug or did I miss something in how to teach them correctly?

Comments

• Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Really? omg, I haven't even tried this yet. I'm gonna go test it in my game to see if this is the case too. It's a real shame if it is...
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited November 2017
    I haven't tried this yet, but I'm not surprised tbh. Kids are almost always forgotten when they make new animations.
    Post edited by Aine on
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    Yeah.... this is upsetting me as well since i was playing a strict parents household where a kid had a dog and the parents put the responsibility on the kid.

Even though i think it will always be an adults responsibility to take care of the needs of the pet they decided to buy for their kid I would still have loved this option and i do hope they could put it in eventually, even though i'm sure it takes coding and animations.

It would also be super cute to see them walk the doggies. Hahahaha.

HV83B28.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,954 Member
    Bambooram wrote: »
    Yeah.... this is upsetting me as well since i was playing a strict parents household where a kid had a dog and the parents put the responsibility on the kid.

Even though i think it will always be an adults responsibility to take care of the needs of the pet they decided to buy for their kid I would still have loved this option and i do hope they could put it in eventually, even though i'm sure it takes coding and animations.

It would also be super cute to see them walk the doggies. Hahahaha.

I do agree with you that part of the reasoning behind letting the children get a pet, is for the child to learn some responsibility. They feed them. They brush them, they walk them. The even should have to bathe them. Face it, we've gone uber-soft on the incoming generations. We're doomed. But, I have to say, I tried to look for the menu command for my Sim child to walk her dog, but couldn't find one. Sometimes I'm a little stiff-necked, in that it didn't occur to me that she just couldn't do it and that's why I wasn't finding it. :open_mouth: That's a tad disappointing. I was also a little sad to realize this EP doesn't tie in. Certain things, such as voluntarily feeding the pet, should grow the responsibility value. We get nada. It's just too bad. In a PERFECT world (which this will NEVER be) these things would augment each other. Ye olde add layers to the game play. But, alas, despite the really GREAT things they have achieved in this game, this is where it falls short and starts to unravel.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    So let me understand this?

Kids can go to adult venues, stay out all night, ditch school with not even an eyebrow raise from their parents but they cannot walk the dog?

Right...

:D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    They cant walk them. Which is weird and disappointing. I was also hoping to see c&d tie in with parenthood where parents could make the kids/teens feed the family pet. and like the poster above mentioned, it could add to their responsibilty.
    I remember as a kid my mom would always ask us "did you feed the dog?" Because that was our job. Wouldve been cool to see this implemented.
  • Options
    TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    Yeah, unfortunately the kids cannot walk the dogs. I remember them confirming this on the Cats & Dogs gameplay livestream just a week before the game was released. It’s a shame. If there’s a way that they can add this in via patch, I would be all for it. As some of you have stated - growing up our parents made us take care of the daily needs of our pets, because WE, the kids wanted the pets in the first place lol. It would be nice to see walking the dog as an added option for kids.
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2017
    That is so sad. I wish they could as well. My nephew loves walking my puppy with us.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,306 Member
    So let me understand this?

Kids can go to adult venues, stay out all night, ditch school with not even an eyebrow raise from their parents but they cannot walk the dog?

Right...

Maybe its bug , I think they show dog walking in the trailer
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    PlumDiddy wrote: »
    They cant walk them. Which is weird and disappointing. I was also hoping to see c&d tie in with parenthood where parents could make the kids/teens feed the family pet. and like the poster above mentioned, it could add to their responsibilty.
    I remember as a kid my mom would always ask us "did you feed the dog?" Because that was our job. Wouldve been cool to see this implemented.

This is already supposed to be in the game. At least, that's what we were told before the game was released. I don't know if the interaction is available to parents, but caring for the family pet is supposed to add to responsibility.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017
    They also couldn't walk them in Sims 2 and 3 - nor did they let them ride horses in 3 either. Teens could in 2 and 3 and up. I thought that bogus seeing I started riding at 6 and could walk our dogs at 10. I have wondered for years what devs have against child age sims and the pets. Lol.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    link4566link4566 Posts: 59 Member
    I always walked our dog as a kid. My friend down the street earned money walking some of our neighbors dogs too. Seems sorta weird that kids can’t do it...
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    They need to patch this in. Its just too weird that kids cant do it. -_-
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

This is already supposed to be in the game. At least, that's what we were told before the game was released. I don't know if the interaction is available to parents, but caring for the family pet is supposed to add to responsibility.

Really? I will triple check next time i go in game, but i have never seen any of the kid's or teen's value traits be affected by feeding the dog. But i will def check this out next time i log in because it would be very useful and makes total sense.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited November 2017
    Kids aren't able to walk dogs because of animations....they aren't the same height as the adults and teens. It all goes back to a budget for these packs and they can't add everything they'd like to....so they didn't devote resources to developing a second set of animations for the kids to do the walking....there's always a chance they can add that in at some point down the road.

Yeah, kids do get responsibility gains from taking care of the family pets. I don't recall off hand which interactions trigger responsibility points but I've seen a few different ones do that...I think it was when the kid filled the food dish and also when the kid cleaned out the litterbox.

EDIT: Just went back and tested it.....kids gain responsibility from filling the pet food dish, cleaning out the litter box and picking up dog poop. The parent can't direct them to do those things...but the kid definitely gains responsibility from doing those things.
    Post edited by JimG72 on
  • Options

Yes i can now confirm that kids DO get Responsibility points for feeding the dog. And im sure for all the things @JimG72 listed as well. Teens however, do not.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)
    Still wish the kiddos could take the doggos for walkos tho ;)
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 400 Member
    It's so disappointing that kids can't walk their dogs. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I really hope they patch this in later...
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,790 Member
    I haven't played a household with both kids and pets yet, but yeah, I'd say this is a huge oversight. Wouldn't they just need to add the retractable leash handle to the child's hand while they're walking? Or maybe they had to make special dog walking animations that would be too time-consuming to replicate for kids? In any case, this would be nice to have.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

Yes i can now confirm that kids DO get Responsibility points for feeding the dog. And im sure for all the things @JimG72 listed as well. Teens however, do not.

Did you actually test this? Because that's incorrect. Teens gain responsibility for filling the food dish, cleaning the litter box and throwing away dog poop....same as children. I just tested and confirmed this.

• Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,088 Member
    Kids shouldn’t be walking dogs in the first place so this doesn’t bother me.
  • Options
    BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »

Glad it doesn't bother you. I just wish this could be added for roleplaying-purposes, since there are parents out there who believe their kids should be able to get a dog and be the responsible owner (i don't personally like this way of thinking - parents are always the ones responsible for whatever life they bring into the house). I wanted to have a strict sims-dad tell his son "it's your dog, your responsibility", but that fantasy sort of breaks, when the dad has to walk the dog. :D
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2017
    What? Why? O_o
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,088 Member
    What? Why? O_o

Kids no matter what their parents think, are not responsible enough to walk dogs on their own. There are too many altercations that can happen with other pets or people and kids do not have the skill set to handle it. And all of the kids that have been dragged by or let loose of large dogs, when those large dogs sometimes bite other people or what have you... And the dog gets blamed, not the kid. And the dog gets punished, not the kid.

And I could go on and on but it really irks me when people have their kids walk the dog...
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    What? Why? O_o

Kids no matter what their parents think, are not responsible enough to walk dogs on their own. There are too many altercations that can happen with other pets or people and kids do not have the skill set to handle it. And all of the kids that have been dragged by or let loose of large dogs, when those large dogs sometimes bite other people or what have you... And the dog gets blamed, not the kid. And the dog gets punished, not the kid.

And I could go on and on but it really irks me when people have their kids walk the dog...

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I'm not a dog owner, so I didn't understand why a kid should not walk one.

I imagined an older child with a friendly family dog just walking around the neighborhood, but I see your point. Thanks :)
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh