Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    Congrats on finishing that challenge @Mmdrgntobldrgn. It certainly was a huge undertaking that you managed really well.

I got Pamela to BF status for everyone when she was still a child, so I had some extra buffer for her when I wasn't watching and getting into trouble.

All my children are teens now and only the last one who just transitioned needs to learn to drive. The living room actually has couches and the bedrooms have some clutter, so it won't be so long until another one is finished for me too. However, I am so super busy lately that I can't even finish a sim day in a real day; so it might take awhile any way.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    My goodness! So much has happened in your stories while I stepped away. Read & thoroughly enjoyed them and am envious of your storytelling talents and building skills. Future challenges will benefit from what I've learned/am learning from each of you.

Played a bit more this week and admit that having A LOT of older children (currently 3 teens & 3 children) is not easy. Sims don't do what you expect them to do and cancel your action queue to go & do something else. Relationships are needing to be worked on again as they're becoming distant with one another due to school and after-school jobs. And then the game itself ... gave my family simoleons on Love Day that I had to remove and then a few sim hours later, did it again. This isn't money tied to one of the pt jobs nor was it because of selling collectibles because the game wanted them to have O.o $19,600 o.O A really sweet chunk o' change but balance is back to what I had before this windfall plopped in their lap and I am now writing down the current amount to keep an eye on it in case the silly game tries something like this again.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    My goodness! So much has happened in your stories while I stepped away. Read & thoroughly enjoyed them and am envious of your storytelling talents and building skills. Future challenges will benefit from what I've learned/am learning from each of you.

Played a bit more this week and admit that having A LOT of older children (currently 3 teens & 3 children) is not easy. Sims don't do what you expect them to do and cancel your action queue to go & do something else. Relationships are needing to be worked on again as they're becoming distant with one another due to school and after-school jobs. And then the game itself ... gave my family simoleons on Love Day that I had to remove and then a few sim hours later, did it again. This isn't money tied to one of the pt jobs nor was it because of selling collectibles because the game wanted them to have O.o $19,600 o.O A really sweet chunk o' change but balance is back to what I had before this windfall plopped in their lap and I am now writing down the current amount to keep an eye on it in case the silly game tries something like this again.

I had game mechanics drop about 40 thousand over the course of winter on the Newton-Brown's. Since I've encountered the game mechanics before of poor sims receiving weird random amounts of money I rolled with it, especially since it coincided with two birthdays.

I don't know what the code uses for it's bases but I've had sims with various income levels receive random chunks of cash. Since I'm usually playing an apocalypse the money get's tce'd away anyway. For the Newton-browns I used it for the make over. In some ways it reminds me of ts2's old inheritance algorithm which would give an active sim some money from a npc if the relationship was high enough.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited February 2018
    @SamelaRita I have a quick question. because I'm like totally insane I thought I would try the Luke and Lucy Challenge.

Can Luke not leave the lot at all while the younger children are not in school? or is he able to hire a babysitter for a few hours so he can go collect seeds and such. i tried to send tom,but i didnt realize children couldnt gather seeds.
    and if he does gather the funds can he hire a babysitter just to stay with him at the house for a bit because the babies wont. stop. crying.

edit: my game just crashed. been playing for like 3 solid hours, thankfully I save often. but not sure I wanna go back in just now. babies were pretty much crying those whole 3 hours.
    Post edited by fleshjenn on
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited February 2018
    @fleshjenn Yes, he can hire a baby sitter - he just has to have the funds to do that. And when he's got enough lifetime reward points you can change his dislikes children trait if you want to: that would fit with the story. He just can't get a job and leave the children all day with a baby sitter. Basically, he's way out of his comfort zone! The army was easier...Hope it goes a bit better for you this time round. I think we're in very different time zones - your post came up as 3:39 am. Either that, or you're an insomniac ;) I hate it when my game crashes - last time ti did that I hadn't saved for ages either :s
  • Options
    ** NEW Chapter **

Euan and Patience are busy doing what they can to raise a family and keep the roof over their heads. They know with the upcoming birthdays that more simoleons are needed, but phailure is not a part of their vocabulary at any time and especially not during Week THREE.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about those crying babies, @fleshjenn, though I'm not sure a babysitter will help.

Lovely new chapter @ADWilson. The house is looking great as are those teens.

I have another chapter too: https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/pit/o
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited February 2018
    Oh, I want so much to read @ADWilson story about the McPhails but I don't want it to influence me and where my group is heading. I will probably end up sneaking in and reading it anyway. :)

I truly don't know how mine is going to end up. I've played through the first week and I am overwhelmed by all the work it takes to make this bunch happy.

New chapter http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16313594/#Comment_16313594
  • Options
    @SamelaRita lol thanks for replying. yes we are in different timezones. it was about 9:30pm when I posted yesterday.
    think I am gonna try and put together a story before going back in, I played through 4 very stressful days with that bunch.
  • Options
    @fleshjenn I feel sorry for Luke having to deal with all the crying, I've got a lot of that going on as well! Hopefully he gets to have some fun soon.

@ciane I didn't know you had to teach teens to drive! I thought that was just something that happened automatically. I'm learning a lot from your challenge.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The Yeovil Mission

I got the write up done for the first day. now to go back and sort pics for day 2. I hope you guys like this one.
  • Options
    Loved what I read so far from both of you @kgaff and @fleshjenn !
  • Options
    I'm enjoying everyone's updates and now I'm torn on which challenge to take up next.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I should be heading for bed - 4 people coming over for lunch tomorrow and today was full on too, and it's after 11 pm here, but I got distracted by just checking this site and there was so much to catch up on!

@ADWilson - the three sisters playing with their three brothers was really cute. I loved the house in the snow ith its lights all round the eaves as well.
    @fleshjenn - I really liked the way you used a lot of military language and imagery to describe what Luke was doing. So apt!
    @ciane - the house is beginning to take shape for them all. I like the way Olivia turned out - I've never played that family for long enough for her to become a teen. Might try it again some time though.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Whew! what a day! I managed make posts for the first 5 days. and played through day 6.
    the Yeovil Mission

Mission Day 2

Mission Day 3

Mission Day 4

Thank you for all the wonderful comments guys. as cazy as this house is I am really enjoying the challenge.

• Options
    @SamelaRita I have a lot 20x30 that I built years ago that I think would work well for a renovation challenge. It would need a family or household. https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5230492 Fair warning a few people said that it creeped them out when I first shared it.

I've got one other that might work, but I think I put an underground bar on the lot.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @ciane ~ I laughed at the expression Olivia made when she had her birthday. I imagine having all of them reach teenager stage makes things a bit easier to manage (to & from school at the same time; less skill restrictions). ** GASP! ** Wait a second ... this means you're almost done with another challenge. Oh my! I'm still plodding through my first one, lol

@Kgaff ~ ... And here I am peeking at your story and wishing I had done things a little bit differently! I think one of my favorite things is how you're fixing things up in a way that makes it look like they're stretching their tight budget further with scavenged items or finding deals in discard piles. You got triplets, too?! Oh my! Your fun is just beginning.

@fleshjenn ~ My goodness, you've been writing up a storm! I'm really enjoying the direction you've taken with this and think that Tom is such a trooper. Absolutely amazing that he finds time to "bring home the bacon" and still maintain good grades. It didn't even dawn on me while ciane was playing it, how housebound Luke is. This is truly a challenge in terms of earning money, but you seem to be handling it rather well.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I'm all caught up again with the reading. It was awesome. I am so glad there are so many stories to read!

I finished the Newton-Brown old quarry challenge today with the oldest twins turning to YAs, so I'll just have to play the triplet babes next to see what I get! :smiley:

Here's the last chapter: https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/pit/dun

I downloaded your fixer-upper to look at as well, @Mmdrgntobldrgn.
  • Options
    I've enjoyed reading everyone's progress.

Lot's of fun adventures and so many different directions with the renovations. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I like the look of that! Are you going to make a family to go in it as well? (please please please do...)
    @fleshjenn It was so moving, Tom having one more chance to see his parents again. I like the way he's such a definite character, and so valiant.
    @ciane That old hut turned into a really nice home in the end. Neat. B)
  • Options
    @ADWilson yes I was quite surprised myself. I had a whole other concept for the story planned out, but with luke housebound so far, I was forced to use tom and I figured if he was doing the work he should get the credit.
    @SamelaRita one of toms first wishes was to "spend time with dad" then he had gotten another that said "spend time with mom" those were his only wishes besides getting on honor and learning new skills. it was so sad, I'm hoping his parents make another visit.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @ADWilson Well, I caved and read your story :( I think is funny how we had some of the same screenshots! I have been thinking of adding on to the house as well but I have a different floor plan in mind. I laughed out loud at "squid face", that's a classic. Having 6 kids going all at once is an amazing feat, keep up the good work :)

@fleshjenn Your story is moving right along. I feel sorry for Luke, poor guy sleeping on the floor. And Tom, what a great kid he is. Can't wait to see more.

@ciane Congrats on finishing. That is a great group of simmies you finished up with.
  • Options
    I have one more update for you. Now I am all caught up on my playtime so far, might try and play through the weekend and put in another post tomorrow.

Mission Day 5: Marching Forward
  • Options
    Great update @fleshjenn! Tom in my game wanted to see both of his parents too, but they always came while everyone was sleeping.

I've happily played the new challenge for awhile today. I had to steam clean my floors today and build and feed a fire in the fireplace because it was below freezing this morning. So, I didn't get much play time, just a sim day.

Of course, my story and house is completely different minus the collecting stuff to sell. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @fleshjenn - I liked the way the three younger ones are developing personalities! And Tom looks like you've written him, slighly serious, slightly over-burdened with what life has thrown at him, but such a lovely young man in the making. I'm sort of quite sold on your Tom...good for Luke taking some time for himself to turn back into a person and not just a baby minding machine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top