Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lighting Mods That Actually Change the Game?

Hello! I see some screenshots from people around here that looks like there is some lighting mod in use! I use currently the perfect day by brntwaffles and a subtle sweetfx, but brntwaffles mods don't seem to change much. I tried this ENB but that makes the game look unbearably milky like it's seen trough a screen of smoke. Maybe it's some altered version of that?

This one by @Jessa_Dakkar is an example, It just looks so nice, like it's another game

Screenshot-64_zpslnrmxztw.jpg

Please share some insight on how to make the game look different!

Comments

• Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't know much about the lighting other than it can be changed via the world files. The only mod I've ever used is one that extends daylight hours so that it doesn't get dark until almost 10 p.m. I always laugh at myself when I realize that my Sims game represents my fantasy climate, which always has a temperature of roughly 80-85F and the sun doesn't set until just before night.

That isn't to say I wouldn't mind having another mod that would make the overall lighting more pleasant.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I had fun learning to edit the light files for a few of my worlds. If I play again I plan of making a few more to brighten and tweak those worlds.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Is there a tutorial that explains how to edit the lighting files? I hadn't thought of doing anything like that when I made my CAW world, because it was really an edit of Sunset Valley, and the lighting was fine. I've been thinking at times of making a world from "scratch," and it occurred to me that there must be a way to change the lighting. But, I hadn't looked it up, because I'm not planning to take on that kind of project any time soon.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited January 2016
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I had fun learning to edit the light files for a few of my worlds. If I play again I plan of making a few more to brighten and tweak those worlds.

<Hopes Rflong7 decides to play again someday> :D

@Jessa_Dakkar your pictures are beautiful!
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    MsRedMsRed Posts: 117 Member
    @Jessa_Dakkar
    Those are some gorgeous screenshots!
    I also use brntwaffles' Perfect Day, but I might give Outdoor Lighting Tweaks a try.

=D
    The Sims 3 Store: ♢ My Page | ♢ My Wishlist | ♢ YouTube Channel | ♢ My Top 5
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    edited January 2016
    I suggest Buhudain's V4:
    xCOsp0C.png

Before and After Brntwaffles' SweetFX
    6joj0ot.png
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I've used both brntwaffles and buhudain's lighting before. Currently I have one of brntwaffles - not sure which. But it gave my custom world that pretty light blue IP water so I'm happy ^.^
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I switch through a bunch of brntwaffle lighting mods but did you know that you can combine lighting mods? :)

So for an example, I have mixed Burnt Waffles Frozen Inspired Lighting Mod with Gelina's Lighting Tweaks. She explains it here:
    Lighting Tweaks

HERE are my lighting tweaks that people have been asking about. This will give you:

brighter sunlight
    more intense shadows
    dynamic shadows by dDefinder
    slightly bigger sun and moon
    less bloom
    Sunrise and sunset are set to default 6am/6pm.

This can be used alone if you don’t have a lighting mod, and will preserve the colors of whatever world you’re playing, since this only affects light and shadow.

OR if you already have a lighting mod, you can import these tweaks into it. Open your existing lighting mod in S3PE, select Resource>Import>From package…and select the file.

**I use this combined with a slightly modified Cloud Nine by brntwaffles

On top of all of that, I brighten and sharpen my pictures in PhotoShop. *If you use a program like Fraps to capture screenshots in PNG form, that will create a higher quality picture as well. (something I've just started doing.)

My own screenshots and most of them with the Frozen Inspired version installed. Bright on it's own plus enhancing.

Sunny days...
    tumblr_nnrgqebDZC1ssiu0eo2_1280.png
    tumblr_nqc5dnOVSZ1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    Direct sunlight on lots...
    tumblr_nu1i5umgFL1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    tumblr_nurkrflfRW1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    Direct sunlight on sims...
    tumblr_nto3minGt71ssiu0eo2_1280.png
    tumblr_nto3minGt71ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    Gloomy day...
    tumblr_nsdw1jiNkZ1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    That looks like it might be a nice option for people who like the way TS4 looks, @Simasaurus09. The brighter color palette reminds me of TS4.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2016
    @HappySimmer3 I like super bright colors in my game. That's the effect the Frozen Inspired mod gives off. Very Disney themed and cartoony... But brntwaffles and other mods out there can be more realistic just like Jessa shows above. My post was more of an example that with a little help, you can make the lighting itself brighter through mods or photoshop... Or both like I do.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures! I am using light mods too and the files that I am using in my game are .... Buhudain lighting mods like many of you.

Screenshot-592_zpsrqthti20.jpg

Screenshot-338_zpsfis94ark.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @HappySimmer3 I like super bright colors in my game. That's the effect the Frozen Inspired mod gives off. Very Disney themed and cartoony... But brntwaffles and other mods out there can be more realistic just like Jessa shows above. My post was more of an example that with a little help, you can make the lighting itself brighter through mods or photoshop... Or both like I do.

Oh sure, I'm familiar with brnwaffles mods and have several of their lighting mods saved on my PC for use when I want them.

I think a lot of players must like the bright primary colors because I've seen lots of pics on Tumblr using similar lighting (maybe they are even using that mod), and of course many people comment on how much they like TS4 graphics. So I was being sincere, in case you were wondering. It's not my cup of tea but I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of players. :)

• Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I just added brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine lighting mod hoping that it will make Midnight Hollow playable for me. I love that world but I can't see anything! LOL
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @Jessa_Dakkar ILU That is all :blush:

To keep it on topic though Sunset Valley to me has the worst lighting.I live with it but it is horrible.Dragon Valley early morning lighting is really yucky too,But from late afternoon on is really good.Lucky Palms can be really bad depending on where you are on its map as far as taking screenshots.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I use buhudain's lighting as well. I have used the one that Jessa is using, but I switched it out. I quite like the one I'm using now.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2016
    @I use dDefinder's Lighting tweaks, the same as @Jessa_Dakkar . I especially love the way the shadows look more realistic, and in summer it gives a warm glow to the Sunset.

the-grey-witches-part-02-11-55.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-16-51.jpg
    5f-e28093-06-silver-sands-lake.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-23-09.jpg

The EA lighting in Monte Vista is truly amazing without any mods, and Sunlit Tides is also quite good!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi :) The lighting tweak I use is this one: http://modthesims.info/d/367164
    There are three night tweaks, Basic, Balanced and Darker. I chose Balanced.
    The other tweak I use is called Lighting Tweaks - Longer Days - Dynamic Shadows, both part of the same mod.

It works on my custom world without having to alter any game files. It also works in Sunset Valley, Riverview and Barnacle Bay without having to edit game files. I choose to not alter game files at this time but the instructions are there and seem simple for doing so.

I really love this lighting tweak. I know there are a lot of different ones out there, they seem simple to try out and equally simple to pull out if you don't. :)

I LOVE your screenshots x 1000!!! Thanks so much for posting.

I dl'd a lighting mod just for Midnight Hollow from brntwaffles, I think, because that world was too dark for my old eyes. But I think this looks better. Does anyone know if I need to delete the mod for Midnight Hollow before I install this one? I don't quite understand the instructions at ModtheSims for it. Thank you.

Post edited by Stdlr9 on
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Do all lighting mods give all of the worlds you play in the same lighting, or is there a way with some of them to use one for one world, another for another world, etc., or just to use one for only one world and leave the others as is, or maybe even to adjust the same mod differently for different worlds?
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2016
    @IreneSwift @Stdlr9 dDefinder explains on MTS:
    "Compatibility
    The lighting mod will work with expansion packs but will not work on the worlds included in them such as vacation areas, Twinbrook, etc. You must delete the custom lighting in the world files by follow instructions found below or in the instructions tab.

Sunset valley, Riverview, Barnacle Bay, Hidden Springs and any custom worlds without custom lighting will work without additional editing.

Will conflict with other mods that change lighting, sky colors, timescale, or water color."

I use this mod in my game, and it works in Appaloosa Plains and Twin Towns (see pics in earlier post). I played Midnight Hollow in winter to lighten it up, but I think you have to uninstall other lighting mods, as they might conflict.

NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Thank you. Since Midnight Hollow was a world that didn't come in an expansion pack, I wasn't sure. I deleted the old lighting mod I had anyway before installing this one. Thanks again.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Thanks for all the replies everybody! I'll try Buhudain's V5, since it doesn't require altering game files. Some really pretty and inspiring screenies here!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Took me a while to remember where I put it, but this is a shot of Monte Vista in winter using Buhudain's lighting.

mvwinter_zpsbf8tghwz.jpg
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    Can you use Brntwaffles lighting mods with others? I tried Sweetfx but it would just never work for me. It was way too bright on my laptop for TS4.

I like my sky and water as is, but I wish the shadows in game were a bit lighter (as in the lighting on the sims themselves in game be a bit less harsh). I don't like to edit my gameplay pics, because I'm lazy like that.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    o:) FWIW I can happily confirm that the dynamic shadows are somehow working in my Appaloosa Plains world ( AP came with Pets EP so the mod wasn't supposed to work with EP worlds?) and I did not mess with the game file settings. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I only installed the dynamic shadows, nothing else. I wanted to see how nice Hidden Springs looked with the new shadows, and then when I booted up my regular AP save, I couldn't believe it when I used speed 3 and saw those shadows racing across the landscape w/ the sun's movement! Yay!! Dunno how it worked but it did, at least in my game.

Oops just saw jillgb's post stating the same thing. Either way it's awesome that it works in AP!