Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    "I said the party starts at 8 and so far there's just me and this weird random who showed up and wants to talk about bicycles!"
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    These are great! I’m not very good at coming up with captions for this kind of thing so I’ll just enjoy everyone else’s…
  • Options
    I’ve been trying to decide where to put various locations in my royal story. Obviously I want the main palace to be on a 64x64 lot, and it’s going to be based in Windenburg. So I either use the Von-Windenburg Estate on the Crumbling Isle, or Dresden House in Windslar. I feel like it’d be cool for the palace to be on its own little private island, but also royal palaces are popular tourist spots and it’d be a little harder to get to. Although maybe there’s a popular boat service.
    Ugh, the things you have to think about when planning SimLit…
  • Options
    RandomMicrowaveTMRandomMicrowaveTM Posts: 17 Member
    @Lucy_Henley if i may throw in my own two cents, i think the private island would make a lot of sense, actually! tourists will want to visit the palace either way, so it would make sense for a boating service to take advantage of that easy revenue ferrying tourists to and from the island.
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,753 Member
    @Lucy_Henley Yup, I'd go for the private island, too! Plus, you can turn the other lots into buildings that are related to the palace as, if you want. Then you have it all in the same place and with the same theme. It's what I did with the castle, tournament grounds and some of the noble villas.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    Private island does sound pretty fun! I did think of using that lot originally, not sure why I suddenly thought it should go somewhere else.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    All the captions are very very funny XD In a couple of days I will also post the original dialogue, it's even more absurd than anything you've proposed up to now XD

@Lucy_Henley , I think it depends a lot on which kind of royalty you have in mind! For example, if they still are (or used to be) ruling over that part of the Country, it would make sense for the main palace of the royal family to be closer to the main city. If they from some other aristocratic branch instead, also places immersed in the nature like the Windenburg countryside or the island part can be very charming. Also, royal families tended to have a lot of secondary palaces where to spend the summer months (for example), and again a location in the middle of the countryside or an island would make a lot of sense in that case. A hypothetical contemporary royal family could also prefer this kind of isolated location over the ones in the city centre, as they are often more charming and there are fewer tourists around.

In short, whatever you chose, there would be a way to justify the choice, so I would go for the place you think has the best-looking scenery!
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    Yes, I’ve got plans for them to have holiday houses in both Mt Komorebi and Sulani, maybe elsewhere but I’m not sure yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Well, I think it may be the time to post the original caption to this picture I shared a few days ago:
    FiDmo6F.jpg
    Guy: - No way I'm calming down, [redacted]! A comet is about to fall upon us! -
    phone: - Astronomers constantly monitor the movement of comets, asteroids and meteors, and I can assure you that in this moment no anomalies were recorded. Thus calm down, you have nothing to worry about. -
    Guy: - HOW COULD I NOT BE WORRIED? Hey, hello? Bah, he hung up on me, what an idiot! -

*Also, the two characters in the picture were actually cousins*
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    RandomMicrowaveTMRandomMicrowaveTM Posts: 17 Member
    @HermioneSims haha, that's great! definitely way crazier than anyone could have anticipated, though, not too far out of the realm of possibility in a game such as the sims, lol
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    @HermioneSims Seems I've showed up to the party late again. I love that picture, and your quote snippet. I'm definitely curious what the story was behind that one! :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @HermioneSims Seems I've showed up to the party late again. I love that picture, and your quote snippet. I'm definitely curious what the story was behind that one! :lol:

Aliens were involved, of course XD
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    questions, again. Maybe a bit silly this time, but I genuinely like to know. :)

Do you ever get brilliant idea for a story/twist/plot in places where you least expect? For example in shower? at work? at store? And if you do, do you trust your memory, or write it down in phone or something?
    And related question, what is your "funniest" place to be hit by inspiration?

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2023
    Do you ever get brilliant idea for a story/twist/plot in places where you least expect? For example in shower? at work? at store? And if you do, do you trust your memory, or write it down in phone or something?

I literally never stop thinking about my story, ever. EVER. Never ever Stop thinking about it. Doesn't matter where I am, I never stop thinking about it. I have a private Discord server, just for me, that I use as a notebook. If I'm out and about I write it on there. If I'm at home I write it in the 'POSSIBLE IDEAS' box on my story plan document. I don't have a funniest place to be hit by inspiration because it really just happens wherever and whenever.

they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    In real life, well away from SimLit and Sim 66, I had an idea for a story whilst in a pub toilet. Still one of the best ideas I've ever had and I did manage to write it up...and film it and also start a meme.

I get inspiration for plots and scenes whilst I'm actually playing the game. No gaming session ever plays out the way I think it's going to go and I don't get the criticism that Sims 4 is unimaginative. The game is constantly throwing curveballs at me.

My most recent bit of inspiration for the plot is similar to SnowBnuuy's; I'm thinking of the story all the time. I came up with the idea whilst driving back home one day and missed a turning necessitating me having to drive further and loop round a roundabout to get home. Then I went to the Sims of History Discord group and said "I've had an idea! What about..." and I'm not going to spoil it because it's going to form the basis of an upcoming chapter.
  • Options
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Yay for the obsessive writers! : P I tend to think about scenes a lot to get me to sleep actually. Even the disturbing ones. xD
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    DeidreMaharielDeidreMahariel Posts: 63 Member
    questions, again. Maybe a bit silly this time, but I genuinely like to know. :)

I tend to get most of my story planning accomplished when up and about -- when I was in high school, I had my favorite "aha!" moments and worked through my most frustrating plot holes while running laps for PE. Recently since I've started working on my SimLit, I think about it the most at work. It's a fast-paced, physical job, but it leaves my head empty enough to beep boop around. Yesterday I was in the middle of the busiest service rush I've had in months, and the potential solution for a plot hole that's been bothering me just smacked me when I wasn't even trying to think about it.

The downside of this is I usually don't have the means or time to write down my ideas for quite a while. I don't enjoy outlining, and I'm bad at making notes of story ideas in an at all helpful way, beyond just freewriting random scenes and then saving them in random places. Probably something I should work on. :D
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited April 2023
    @Deirdee Haha, I know the feeling of not having the chance to write down your ideas! They really just have a habit of just hitting you when you least expect it, don't they?

For me, the ideas always hit when I have something else going on that really needs my full focus. It's like my brain has a little "idea" cabinet. And whenever it realises that there's something I REALLY need to be paying attention to, it yanks it open.
    "Oh hey, you're in the middle of a ridiculously complicated work task? Here's a fix for that plot hole you needed!"
    "You need to pay attention or you'll burn the chicken? How about a ten-minute daydream of that one scene you were wondering how to do?"
    "Talking with a CEO today? How about instead of the questions you prepared, aaaaaalll you have in your head is dumb chatter from Agravaine?"
    😂
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,849 Member
    edited April 2023
    Inspiration can find me anywhere. The two most common times are at meals, especially breakfast, and when I’m in the shower. At work when I’m bored is another place and time that seems to be a favorite. I can’t think of any weird places but I’ve only been doing this for a year now. When an idea comes to me I will write it down on whatever is at hand or I will come in here and start writing and save the draft for later.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @Ellupelluellu Great question. I don't get ideas in random places. I can't remember being hit by inspiration unexpectedly—like ever. I like chaos, so my brain is often fairly noisy and filled with thoughts. There's often not much space for inspiration to come randomly. I'm a very active thinker and tend to be a purposeful person, so I think through things methodically and can purposefully come up with ideas anywhere. Coming up with ideas that I like or that work is what's difficult.
  • Options
    Inspiration will strike me whenever. There’s no particular occasion when it’s more likely to strike or anything.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member

The answers a lot of people gave to this one really made me laugh, because they are so true for me too. I am constantly, or very nearly constantly, thinking about whatever story is currently my main focus. I have been this way my whole life. I don't even know what people think about if they don't write stories.

I have a notebook in my bag I take to work, and a notebook in my car, if something occurs to me that I want to get written down. But a lot of the time I'm just "living" in my story world while trying to function in the real one, and I don't write ideas down, because I'm trying to do something else at the same time.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    I love that we're mostly all on board with 'I never stop thinking about my story ever'. If I ever stop thinking about my pet projects I would lose my mind. Hilarious to think thinking about Divided provides comfort of all things but....
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Even if I'm not thinking about the dialogue of a story I'm working on, or thinking about, builds that I need for those stories. I used to just go download a lot if I needed something, but as my building skills progress I'm building more and more of my own lots. That's a big reason why right now it takes so long to get a chapter or Under The Tartosan Sun or Schemes & Dreams done. But while I'm working on the build I'm also thinking about how it fits into the current storyline and future ones, which in turn gets me thinking about the dialogue and story progression. I could call it a vicious cycle, but I enjoy it so much it's simply part of the creative process for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @DeidreMahariel What usually happens if I can't write an idea down is I keep thinking it over constantly until I can write it down. It's actually a blessing when it happens because the storyline has been through multiple edits by the time I get where I can 'record' it and I'm that much further ahead in the writing process. Once that idea is in my head I can't let it go easily. Sometimes it happens, but more often than not I pick up fairly close to where I dropped it. Where I get in trouble is when I write it down and then accidentally delete the file or forget to click save.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top