Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Auto culling : What are the rules ?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Culling in my game seems to be every Sim day I played. I gave up on having townies as friends and or even expecting the same bartender to show up. It was o.k. for a few Sim days (once) when I had the same returning friendly bartenders but then something happened with a patch right after the GTW and they were all culled and replaced. In one save I have 113 is the count of my entire population. My towns are dead and the game still culls everyday if I go look.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > CrazyCandySims wrote: »
    >
    > Culling is a major issue in all sorts of ways for simmers. After your population, alive/dead and townie/NPC sims combined, has reached 180 the game begins to cull sims in order to keep performance in balance, or sims are culled when a certain life state is out of balance (for example; too many elders, or not enough of 'em). Usually the culling begins with townies that don't have a lot to call home and your sim doesn't interact or know them, but culling has also begun to effect ghosts as well. And that's the major issue of it all, because people have found that if a dead sim on the family tree's ghost is culled, they come up as a blank profile on the family tree and basically like they never existed--ultimately destroying other relationships connecting to that sim as well. However culling has also effected sims that your sims DO interact with, or live in actual lots, and so forth.
    >
    > There's a stop the culling mod to prevent culling altogether, but it seems to crash quite a bit every patch. Or you could try deleting townies on a regular basis to keep the population at bay, or--if you wanna get extreme--delete all the sims in lots but your own, delete the townies every so often, AND when a sim dies, release their spirit so the game doesn't cull them first so the sim stays on the family tree (but that would be getting rid of their ghost as well), if they're on there. I don't like the mods so this is what I'm doing, it's a hassle to do but it's working for me so far. :L I'm also using Family Echo to track my sims' family tree just in case all else fails.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When you said it's begun to effect ghosts.....I had a cemetery culled last March. It's been ongoing.

Oh gosh. Dx
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Yeah, that's what I want to know too, when you open your Manage Households window, how many TOTAL SIMS do you count in both the Played and Unplayed windows? 16 in NC is fine, but there are also not-quite 30 core sims added to WC and OS at game start. Lewises, Pancakes, etc. So, 45ish minimum.

And then there will be mailmen, gardeners, etc etc... We really need THAT number, a total nose count, to be able to figure out much about what happened, I think.

I would suggest mgomez's getpopulation mod, if you modded... or as a special case just for this, although I don't know if installing it would take longer or more steps than just counting what you see would. You know?

I mention that one because it's easy... out of date but still works, it does exactly the one thing, gives you the total number of sims in your world. No details, just a number. Non-intrusive, I mean.
  • Options
    cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    because of this The MC Command Center mod I have a pop of over 500 sims that includes dead sims in one save game
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    because of this The MC Command Center mod I have a pop of over 500 sims that includes dead sims in one save game

Wow, I have been keeping population low so that most encounters are with my created Sims.

It does sound interesting tho having that many in the game. I must get round to trying that.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Culling is a major issue in all sorts of ways for simmers. After your population, alive/dead and townie/NPC sims combined, has reached 180 the game begins to cull sims in order to keep performance in balance, or sims are culled when a certain life state is out of balance (for example; too many elders, or not enough of 'em). Usually the culling begins with townies that don't have a lot to call home and your sim doesn't interact or know them, but culling has also begun to effect ghosts as well. And that's the major issue of it all, because people have found that if a dead sim on the family tree's ghost is culled, they come up as a blank profile on the family tree and basically like they never existed--ultimately destroying other relationships connecting to that sim as well. However culling has also effected sims that your sims DO interact with, or live in actual lots, and so forth.

There's a stop the culling mod to prevent culling altogether, but it seems to crash quite a bit every patch. Or you could try deleting townies on a regular basis to keep the population at bay, or--if you wanna get extreme--delete all the sims in lots but your own, delete the townies every so often, AND when a sim dies, release their spirit so the game doesn't cull them first so the sim stays on the family tree (but that would be getting rid of their ghost as well), if they're on there. I don't like the mods so this is what I'm doing, it's a hassle to do but it's working for me so far. :L I'm also using Family Echo to track my sims' family tree just in case all else fails.

Just a couple of notes here... first, the No Culling mod by DarkGaia has not been updated lately. It has been reported as not working by SOME... could be game settings or computer specs or whoknowswhat making the difference... but unless DG comes back to it, I can only expect it to finish breaking for all of us at some point.

Next, culling and pruning are NOT the same thing. I am NOT sure about the difference, or which one does what, other than they are two SEPARATE things going after our sims. Culling targets sims and pruning targets ghosts... right?

MC Command Center currently (1.0.11) includes a Population module setting to disable Culling. (I don't use DG's now, since MC includes the same function.)

Deaderpool's already said 1.0.12 will, with the same setting, ALSO disable Pruning.

He made the mistake of saying that well before he was ready to drop 12... I've been on him GIMME 12 ever since! LOL (a few days, he said, he's doing something else cool with the mod before he releases it.)

I have a question... the game culls for "lifestate imbalance"? Really? I've never seen that mentioned... but I don't read everything here, either. That surprised me.

• Options
    Hi,

I would like to know the Simocide works. What are the rules ?

Which sims are culled ? Homeless or NPC ?

I'm not convinced there are rules. I had started a new game. The only new Sims that were introduced into the game by me were the 4 Sim household I made. I played that game for a couple of days for about 2 hours at a time and I found Sims were already being culled. I can't understand how I could reach a pop cap so fast like that.
    There USED to be rules, but they were... um... "fluid" at best. Now, it sure seems like something NEW is going on (rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules!!), and it has to pretty much be with the latest regular update, since it's happening to people without mods and without some extra game parts (like the game packs).
  • Options
    Ayumap wrote: »
    @Eiszimmer @Igg @aws200

The MC Command Center mod now supports no culling:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

This is what ive been using. Ive always been a player who manages her population daily even before i knew of the population issue. I use mcc anyway though so i decided to turn it on recently (the no culling feature).

Luckily ive never had an issue with this mod so I'd recommend it.

It also has some other features that I find extremly useful. Theres the ability to completly destroy romantic relationships by selecting the "target" in the relationship panel.(the one already in game) You can also delete sims without going into manage world.

---
    As for rules...idk but I always kept my population under 180 and never had an issue. Of course every patch has the potential to change things or cause issue.

And if you combine MC with weerbesu's UI Cheats mod, you can also then (re)SET the relationship between sims that you WANT them to have.

UI Cheats Extension v1.2
    by weerbesu Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 6:43 PM - Updated 15th Aug 2015 at 10:28 PM by weerbesu

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=558548
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 1,007 Member
    In all my saved games (12) not a single family in a house has ever been culled. No mods used.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
    There USED to be rules, but they were... um... "fluid" at best. Now, it sure seems like something NEW is going on (rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules!!), and it has to pretty much be with the latest regular update, since it's happening to people without mods and without some extra game parts (like the game packs).

No rule ? It is worse than what I thought.

By security, all my creations moved to houses, only the Maxis premade sims (Babs, Olie, ...) are homeless.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited August 2015

No rule ? It is worse than what I thought.

By security, all my creations moved to houses, only the Maxis premade sims (Babs, Olie, ...) are homeless.

So far, looking at everything that's been shown here (including in the associated bugs/technical topic), it really does seem that played Sims are still protected, and so are housed Sims. Formerly played Sims that have been marked unplayed and rendered homeless lose their protection; so do dead Sims, including nonplayed ghosts -- none of that is new.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I had a played family evicted from their home and another family was moved in. I don't know if they would have been culled if I hadn't noticed in time. I found them in the homeless bin and put them back in their home. This was a family in Newcrest. If I had been playing in another town in the rotation I would not have noticed as soon.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    I had a played family evicted from their home and another family was moved in. I don't know if they would have been culled if I hadn't noticed in time. I found them in the homeless bin and put them back in their home. This was a family in Newcrest. If I had been playing in another town in the rotation I would not have noticed as soon.

@SimGuruDrake, could this be similar to what might have happened in Reg's game? She's also dealing with households specifically in Newcrest.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I keep checking my housed sims too. I'm making backups to my library for every week or so of play. I'd like to know if there are other cases of housed sims getting culled being reported.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    @egwarhammer

Sorry. I don't use mods, so I have no clue what's going on with them, I just repeated what others have said. As for culling because of lifestate imbalance, yep. :|
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
    edited August 2015
    Well, my 38 homeless households (52 sims) were culled.

The worse is the game culled the employees of my retail lots.
  • Options
    @egwarhammer

Sorry. I don't use mods, so I have no clue what's going on with them, I just repeated what others have said. As for culling because of lifestate imbalance, yep. :|

Dig my numbers from MC's log... Looks like some of my girls need to watch their backs! LOL

[08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Sims: 85
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Female Sims: 51
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Male Sims: 34
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Grim Reapers: 0
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Babies - Female: 0, Male: 0
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Children - Female: 2, Male: 8
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Teens - Female: 9, Male: 2
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Young Adults - Female: 24, Male: 12
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Adults - Female: 14, Male: 10
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Elders - Female: 2, Male: 2
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Ghosts: 0
    [08/21/15 13:02:34]Total Homeless Sims: 36