Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims 4 Game is Slow and Laggy

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    crzyskater wrote: »
    if it were patches wouldn't you have to update your game? I know it could have been the recent computer updates, but I don't know i might just wait for a new computer.

You do need to update your game when there are game patches, and that is why some computers that have lower hardware specifications have issues after game patches because of the extra stress of the patch.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    @phoebebebe13 ah ok :/ that stinks. Thanks for helping me though

Your video card does not support windows 10 and it's integrated. You might have better luck if you go back to your old OS but you may still have issues with C & D and other add ons. They upped the computer requirements for C & D . Your computer is too old to even consider upgrading hardware and HPs are hard to upgrade anyway. You really need a computer that meets requirements with modern hardware to survive all the game add ons

Your welcome
  • Options
    crzyskatercrzyskater Posts: 8 New Member
    @rosemow I honestly don't think the date of my computer had a thing to do with it, but it could have. But thanks for your help. I restarted my entire computer system and its working perfectly smoothly again :) I think it was just a update from some system that was not like original computer system? If that makes sense! But thanks for trying to help!
  • Options
    @rosemow I honestly don't think the date of my computer had a thing to do with it, but it could have. But thanks for your help. I restarted my entire computer system and its working perfectly smoothly again :) I think it was just a update from some system that was not like original computer system? If that makes sense! But thanks for trying to help!

You’re welcome :)
  • Options
    Ms_PootatoMs_Pootato Posts: 1 New Member
    For other people who KNOWED it wasn't their data/gb. It could be something downloading on ur origin or what u used to install ur sims. This happened to me I was downloading the Sims 4 City Living and I was also playing the Sims 4 at the same time so I wanted to let you know it might also be that :smile: :) :) B)
  • Options
    papablesspapabless Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey guys, I'm having the same problem and I saw I couldn't make a new post so I'm posting here. I recently tried to play the sims 4 after not playing for a while and I only get 5 fps after the update where I'd usually get 60+ fps. I've tried reinstalling, contacted ea, made sure it uses my gpu but nothing has worked. It only happens in the sims 4, no other games, so I know it's not my gpu at fault.
    My GPU is s gtx 1060 and my processor is Intel i7-4770k and I have 8 gb ram.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rras1994rras1994 Posts: 47 Member
    papabless wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm having the same problem and I saw I couldn't make a new post so I'm posting here. I recently tried to play the sims 4 after not playing for a while and I only get 5 fps after the update where I'd usually get 60+ fps. I've tried reinstalling, contacted ea, made sure it uses my gpu but nothing has worked. It only happens in the sims 4, no other games, so I know it's not my gpu at fault.
    Thanks

Are all your drivers up to date?
  • Options
    Thanks

Hello @papabless
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

You will need to break up the pastebin link of your DXDiag info though when you post it in this thread by putting h.t.t.p. instead of http, because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.

• Options
    > @rras1994 said:
    > papabless wrote: »
    >
    > Hey guys, I'm having the same problem and I saw I couldn't make a new post so I'm posting here. I recently tried to play the sims 4 after not playing for a while and I only get 5 fps after the update where I'd usually get 60+ fps. I've tried reinstalling, contacted ea, made sure it uses my gpu but nothing has worked. It only happens in the sims 4, no other games, so I know it's not my gpu at fault.
    > My GPU is s gtx 1060 and my processor is Intel i7-4770k and I have 8 gb ram.
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Are all your drivers up to date?

Yes, they're all up to date

@rosemow here's my pastebin: h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/PLpgLpYA
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    > @rras1994 said:
    > papabless wrote: »
    >
    > Hey guys, I'm having the same problem and I saw I couldn't make a new post so I'm posting here. I recently tried to play the sims 4 after not playing for a while and I only get 5 fps after the update where I'd usually get 60+ fps. I've tried reinstalling, contacted ea, made sure it uses my gpu but nothing has worked. It only happens in the sims 4, no other games, so I know it's not my gpu at fault.
    > My GPU is s gtx 1060 and my processor is Intel i7-4770k and I have 8 gb ram.
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Are all your drivers up to date?

Yes, they're all up to date

@rosemow here's my pastebin: h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/PLpgLpYA

Hello @papabless
    You are getting a little lower in free space on the C Drive. It may be best to move your sims 4 game and your Documents folder to the E Drive. It may help with the issues

This link explains how to move your sims 4 game to another drive without needing to uninstall , download and reinstall it again.
    https://help.ea.com/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games

This explains how to move your documents folder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw

Try also resetting your sims 4 folder, starting a new save game file, and testing to see if it occurs there also . To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try turning on vsync in game options.
  • Options
    I've tried all of those things now and still no difference :(
  • Options
    I've tried all of those things now and still no difference :(

Is your game and the Documents folder installed on the E Drive?
  • Options
    Not the documents folder, just the game folder.
  • Options
  • Options
    Still not working :(
  • Options
    Still not working :(

Hello
    Try lowering the in game screen resolution in game options and see if that helps. Playing in windowed mode may help.

Close all other open desktop windows when playing the game and see if that helps.

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps.

If your sims live in San Myshuno, try moving them to another world.
  • Options
    ZilogManZilogMan Posts: 57 Member
    > @crzyskater said:
    > h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/Yuw3uqRP
    >
    >

Hi,

from what i can tell, you are running a very old AMD desktop processor. This creates one bottleneck, so even if you upgraded the video card (the Pastebin file you linked doesn't tell us what that is), you will probably still have inadequate performance.

Buying a complete new machine is not the only option - that's the beauty of having a desktop.

Some components can be re-used, or don't have to be upgraded all at once.

You can keep

>Your old monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer case
    >Power Supply unit (if you stick to modest spec components that draw no more power than the old pc, while still giving much better performance - obviously if you go hog wild, all bets are off)
    >Hard Drive / DVD drives etc. (though adding an SSD later would make the game load faster)

However, the motherboard, CPU and RAM will need to be replaced together.

£100 or so gets you a quad core Intel I3-8100 or an AMD Ryzen , both do about 3.6ghz and do a lot more processing with each tick of the clock than your old chip, as well as having twice as many cores.

A Motherboard for the Intel chip runs to £115 or so (Gigabyte Z370M D3H for socket 1151, 8th gen processor support)
    For the AMD Ryzen, Gigabyte AMD Ryzen AM4 A320M DS2 costs £45 over here

For the Intel, 8gb of DDR4 PC2400 will set you back £73
    The AMD processor can work with PC2400 memory as well, but is capable of operating with faster DDR4 PC2666, which costs £100 for 8gb.

Also, your HP software recovery CD won't run if it doesn't detect the original HP motherboard, so you'll have to buy a copy of Windows to install on it. ATM, that's an objectionable £100 "Microsoft Tax", but at least that means you're getting windows 10, without the nonsense of HP locking the installation to their original motherboard, and without all the pre-installed junk/demos/adverts.

So, about £350 - £400 then for the biggest part of the build.

You could keep on using your old graphics card for a while, then when you've got more cash, plop another £115 or so on a Geforce 1050. They only pull 75watts or so, and many of them don't need a 6 pin plug from the PSU to run them, getting all the power they need from the motherboard (i'm assuming your existing psu is ancient)

The same site I was pulling these prices from, had the cheapest quad core, 8gb tower unit with a Geforce 1050 graphics card at £750 so there is a saving from re-using the old bits.. and you get to boost your handiness skill , and save a bit of environmental waste while you're at it.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    ZilogMan wrote: »
    > @crzyskater said:
    > h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/Yuw3uqRP
    >
    >

Hi,

from what i can tell, you are running a very old AMD desktop processor. This creates one bottleneck, so even if you upgraded the video card (the Pastebin file you linked doesn't tell us what that is), you will probably still have inadequate performance.

Buying a complete new machine is not the only option - that's the beauty of having a desktop.

Some components can be re-used, or don't have to be upgraded all at once.

You can keep

>Your old monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer case
    >Power Supply unit (if you stick to modest spec components that draw no more power than the old pc, while still giving much better performance - obviously if you go hog wild, all bets are off)
    >Hard Drive / DVD drives etc. (though adding an SSD later would make the game load faster)

However, the motherboard, CPU and RAM will need to be replaced together.

£100 or so gets you a quad core Intel I3-8100 or an AMD Ryzen , both do about 3.6ghz and do a lot more processing with each tick of the clock than your old chip, as well as having twice as many cores.

A Motherboard for the Intel chip runs to £115 or so (Gigabyte Z370M D3H for socket 1151, 8th gen processor support)
    For the AMD Ryzen, Gigabyte AMD Ryzen AM4 A320M DS2 costs £45 over here

For the Intel, 8gb of DDR4 PC2400 will set you back £73
    The AMD processor can work with PC2400 memory as well, but is capable of operating with faster DDR4 PC2666, which costs £100 for 8gb.

Also, your HP software recovery CD won't run if it doesn't detect the original HP motherboard, so you'll have to buy a copy of Windows to install on it. ATM, that's an objectionable £100 "Microsoft Tax", but at least that means you're getting windows 10, without the nonsense of HP locking the installation to their original motherboard, and without all the pre-installed junk/demos/adverts.

So, about £350 - £400 then for the biggest part of the build.

You could keep on using your old graphics card for a while, then when you've got more cash, plop another £115 or so on a Geforce 1050. They only pull 75watts or so, and many of them don't need a 6 pin plug from the PSU to run them, getting all the power they need from the motherboard (i'm assuming your existing psu is ancient)

The same site I was pulling these prices from, had the cheapest quad core, 8gb tower unit with a Geforce 1050 graphics card at £750 so there is a saving from re-using the old bits.. and you get to boost your handiness skill , and save a bit of environmental waste while you're at it.

the HP computer model posted in the DxDiag was issued in 2010 and has an it has an integrated graphic card. A seven to eight year old computer is too old to upgrade and the hardware is too old to be saved. Google can be your friend. This game does require modern hardware. They would have the option to build their own or buy a new computer with modern hardware that will keep up with this game
  • Options
    spaacecat10spaacecat10 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi, I am having this exact same problem. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. My game has been extremely slow and laggy (so slow and laggy that it's basically unplayable) and this only happened last week after I updated the game. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both the game and origin, but neither did anything. I've done pretty much everything suggested here. I think the reason people are having this happen to them is due to the latest game update but I could be wrong. Any help would be really appreciated. Here is my DxDiag. I should note that up until last week the Sims has always run beautifully for me and I've had it for over a year.

pastebin: pastebin(DOT)com/GFBhYXN8 (replace DOT with a . obviously)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Hi, I am having this exact same problem. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. My game has been extremely slow and laggy (so slow and laggy that it's basically unplayable) and this only happened last week after I updated the game. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both the game and origin, but neither did anything. I've done pretty much everything suggested here. I think the reason people are having this happen to them is due to the latest game update but I could be wrong. Any help would be really appreciated. Here is my DxDiag. I should note that up until last week the Sims has always run beautifully for me and I've had it for over a year.

pastebin: pastebin(DOT)com/GFBhYXN8 (replace DOT with a . obviously)

https://pastebin.com/GFBhYXN8

Hello @spaacecat10
    I am so sorry :( but your computer doesn’t meet the recommended requirements to run the Cats and Dogs pack. This is causing the issues . You have a weaker processor than what is recommended . You have an integrated processor video card. It uses the same computer ram along with the game , origin, windows and other programs that you have on your computer.
    I am so sorry :(

If you have another computer it would be best to play on that if it is has higher computer specifications.

If you decide to purchase a new computer now or into the future and would like help and advice in getting a computer that can handle the game and packs, it would be good to post on a thread here in the Sims 4 Tech section and simmers will assist you and offer suggestions.
  • Options
    I'm new and not sure how to properly make replies, sorry! But this is for rosemow:

Thank you for taking a look, that really sucks :( What's confusing though is I've had Cats & Dogs since it came out and I played it multiple times without having any issues. I'm confused as to why it suddenly isn't working anymore.

As for solutions, is there a way to uninstall the Cats and Dogs pack? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm new and not sure how to properly make replies, sorry! But this is for rosemow:

Thank you for taking a look, that really plum :( What's confusing though is I've had Cats & Dogs since it came out and I played it multiple times without having any issues. I'm confused as to why it suddenly isn't working anymore.

As for solutions, is there a way to uninstall the Cats and Dogs pack? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

@phoebebebe13 will look at your dxdiag info when she comes onto the forums. I may be wrong but I think that your computer specifications are causing your lagging issues.

There are some things that you can do to see if it helps.
    Try playing in windowed mode and see if it helps.
    Close all other open windows in the desktop when playing the game and see if that helps.
    Lower your graphics settings and see if that helps. Turn on laptop mode.

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps.

If your sims live in San Myshuno, try moving them to another world

You can disable single packs
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/03/disable-single-packs/
  • Options
    @rosemow

I disabled the Cats & Dogs pack (and it worked, it's now not in my game) but it didn't change anything. The game is still just as laggy. As I said before, the Sims has always run beautifully for me and I've never had a problem until now. I've had almost all the expansion packs for over a year. So is it possible that there might be another problem?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @rosemow

I disabled the Cats & Dogs pack (and it worked, it's now not in my game) but it didn't change anything. The game is still just as laggy. As I said before, the Sims has always run beautifully for me and I've never had a problem until now. I've had almost all the expansion packs for over a year. So is it possible that there might be another problem?

Hello @spaacecat10
    Try doing the other suggestions that I posted in the above post and see if that helps.

Also, try resetting your sims 4 folder, starting a new save game file, and testing to see if it occurs there also . To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

Repairing the game may also help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try going to the Dell website, search for your laptop, and update any drivers.

Go to Windows Update, and make sure that your computer is uptodate

I am sorry that you are having this issue :(
  • Options
    @rosemow

I've done everything that's been suggested :( I know for a fact that this didn't happen until I updated the game so either it's a big coincidence or hopefully there will be some sort of fix in the next update, who knows. :(