Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♥♥♥ Beginner's Comp Discussion Thread ♥♥♥

Comments

• Options
    WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2014
    Was the first entry supposed to just be a headshot on a blank background? If so, I would like to redo mine..
  • Options
    BrigidBrigid Posts: 1,468 New Member
    edited July 2014
    The sims I love the most, the ones I use as my models, I just don't upload. That way there's no problems about people using them.

I would DIE if anyone changed anything about Vincent or Bentley. So therefore they just aren't available - problem solved. Anyone who is uploaded into my studio isn't gonna cause an issue if I see them somewhere else :P
  • Options
    bubblegum17bubblegum17 Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    What is the first Prompt? Soo Excited <3
  • Options
    antebellum13antebellum13 Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2014
    Please check the 1st page, bubblegum!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What about my question? I would ask it in the Q&A page, but I didn't think I was supposed to, since it was only regarding an assignment, and not the entire competition.
  • Options
    easypeazeeasypeaze Posts: 140 Member
    edited July 2014
    WissaWolf wrote:
    What about my question? I would ask it in the Q&A page, but I didn't think I was supposed to, since it was only regarding an assignment, and not the entire competition.

There were no requirements. You were to just take a picture of your chosen model. Hope that helps.
    It's all in the wrist
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh, okay! I see. I was just wondering, because I was one of the only people who didn't do a headshot. :oops:
  • Options
    easypeazeeasypeaze Posts: 140 Member
    edited July 2014
    WissaWolf wrote:
    Oh, okay! I see. I was just wondering, because I was one of the only people who didn't do a headshot. :oops:

You did just fine! Norma Jean is beautiful! :D
    It's all in the wrist
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh, thank you! I feel so flattered to hear that.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just so everyone knows, I'm having a lot of trouble with the Official Comp thread. It's not letting me post ANYTHING from any device I use. It's like I'm being blocked from my own thread and it's incredibly frustrating. Anyway, hopefully it will clear up. If not, can someone be kind enough to post this over there? I thought about creating a second account, but that would just be too confusing. Sorry!
  • Options
    lovebirdelounorlovebirdelounor Posts: 31 New Member
    edited August 2014
    :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the lovely comments from the mentors. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism from you guys! :D

With that said I <i>do</i> have a couple of questions you guys can help me with. :)

1) I think one or two (or maybe all of you...can't remember :P ) mentioned smoothing out her hair. Can you explain what you mean or how you would have done it? I did smooth out the jagged spots (maybe missed a couple which is what caught your eyes) in Photoshop using the liquify filter. But maybe what I did isn't what you meant? Or you are referring to a different style of smoothing?

2) The camera angle being slightly lower for better eye contact....Is there an easier way to get the camera to move down slightly? I mean other than using "Q"? When I tap that keys to lower the camera it jumps way down even when slightly tapping the keys. So if I had tapped the key to lower the camera more (even slightly) I kept getting it at an angle where it looked like I was looking up her nose ( :lol: ). I <i>do</i> see what you were talking about when mentioning getting the camera a little lower to make better eye contact (and I thought the same thing when taking the pic), but I couldn't seem to get it 'there' for the life of me and ended up just settling with what I posted. :P

Thanks for all your helpful comments! :mrgreen:

eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    AbbiJo44AbbiJo44 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2014
    So I have a question... hopefully I'm posting this on the right thread?

Anyway, I'd like to try out the HQ mod (I'm pretty sure my computer can handle it) but at this point I'm not allowed to download a .rar file reader. :( Is there anywhere that I could download it in a .zip file, or another form that wouldn't require downloading a program?

Thanks so much! :lol:
  • Options
    munchkinprincessmunchkinprincess Posts: 1,212 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the lovely comments from the mentors. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism from you guys! :D

With that said I <i>do</i> have a couple of questions you guys can help me with. :)

1) I think one or two (or maybe all of you...can't remember :P ) mentioned smoothing out her hair. Can you explain what you mean or how you would have done it? I did smooth out the jagged spots (maybe missed a couple which is what caught your eyes) in Photoshop using the liquify filter. But maybe what I did isn't what you meant? Or you are referring to a different style of smoothing?

2) The camera angle being slightly lower for better eye contact....Is there an easier way to get the camera to move down slightly? I mean other than using "Q"? When I tap that keys to lower the camera it jumps way down even when slightly tapping the keys. So if I had tapped the key to lower the camera more (even slightly) I kept getting it at an angle where it looked like I was looking up her nose ( :lol: ). I <i>do</i> see what you were talking about when mentioning getting the camera a little lower to make better eye contact (and I thought the same thing when taking the pic), but I couldn't seem to get it 'there' for the life of me and ended up just settling with what I posted. :P

Thanks for all your helpful comments! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what the other judges wanted with smoothing hair but for the camera thing there is actually a mod that stops it jumping about. You still need to mess about with going up and down a bit till ita perfect but its better than jumping up and down like it does with base game.. When I get on my computer I shall link it to you.
  • Options
    munchkinprincessmunchkinprincess Posts: 1,212 New Member
    edited August 2014
    AbbiJo44 wrote:
    So I have a question... hopefully I'm posting this on the right thread?

Anyway, I'd like to try out the HQ mod (I'm pretty sure my computer can handle it) but at this point I'm not allowed to download a .rar file reader. :( Is there anywhere that I could download it in a .zip file, or another form that wouldn't require downloading a program?

Thanks so much! :lol:

I'm not sure, if possible you could maybe try mailing the creator of the hq mod about getting it in zip file instead?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Weird. Even though my computer is relatively new with a nice graphic cards and my settings are all on high, I still can't figure out why the edges are jagged and not smooth. I tried to find the liquify option, but I don't think it's available for gimp. Do they have something else similar? I have been trying to smooth them out with the blur tool on certain sections of the photo by dragging the oval crop around on the picture. [I know nothing about editing photos, so please excuse my illiteracy. Hopefully, you can understand me.]

I feel tempted to download that HQ mod, but I'm worried I'll mess up my game. I am very bad at downloading stuff and find the instructions confusing, because it's not like other mods where all you have to do is extract it to to your downloads folder.
    Hell, I can't even find.. the folder they were talking about! It says something about a game bin..

My graphics card is AMD Readeon HD 8750M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM. I have no idea what any of it means, but surely it's enough to handle the game, right? My sister's boyfriend told me it could even play Skyrim! My therapist's, who is a gamer was the one who looked up this PC and helped me pick it out.. :( So yeah, kinda sucks that my graphics aren't working well.

If anyone would like to see the improved version of my last photoshoot, just ask and I'll post it up. I'd kinda like to know if the method I've found works..
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited August 2014
    Even though I'm not a mentor, I can try helping with what I know. :mrgreen:
    From what I've heard there are several camera mods out there, but the one that I use (and also sounds like it comes with more) is this one. It slows the camera down, so no matter where your sim is you have control of your camera. I couldn't imagine modeling without it, especially since the photography studio is upstairs in my models' home, and the higher you get without this mod the more wonky the camera gets.

For anyone else having camera issues, I suggest getting this mod or another one like it.
    AbbiJo44 wrote:
    Unfortunately most cc, poses, and so on are .rar files. Like Ayana said, your best bet is to ask the creator or search high and low for a file that's a zip. You also need to figure out which HQ mod you need. HQ mods come in several versions, some with other mods attached like the "No Glow + HQ Mod" (my favorite). If I find a HQ mod that comes as a .zip I will let you know (unless someone else links one before me).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Okay. Someone I enhanced my graphics.. I think it's because I had to choose a higher setting for edge smoothing. At first, I couldn't tell the difference, but it looked much better after I restarted the game. I was a being a space cadet and tried downloading the poses to downloads, instead of Mods.. Been playing Sims 2 for a while, so I got confused.

After I reboot my game, I noticed an obvious difference! I assumed I didn't have too.. because that little warning about graphical issues didn't appear when I changed it. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    WissaWolf wrote:
    Okay. Someone I enhanced my graphics.. I think it's because I had to choose a higher setting for edge smoothing. At first, I couldn't tell the difference, but it looked much better after I restarted the game. I was a being a space cadet and tried downloading the poses to downloads, instead of Mods.. Been playing Sims 2 for a while, so I got confused.

After I reboot my game, I noticed an obvious difference! I assumed I didn't have too.. because that little warning about graphical issues didn't appear when I changed it. :lol:
    Fabulous! I was just writing a guide for you on the HQ mod and telling you about Edge Smoothing when I refreshed the page and saw this. xD
    Still gonna finish that HQ mod guide though. Brb!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    WissaWolf wrote:
    Weird. Even though my computer is relatively new with a nice graphic cards and my settings are all on high, I still can't figure out why the edges are jagged and not smooth. I tried to find the liquify option, but I don't think it's available for gimp. Do they have something else similar? I have been trying to smooth them out with the blur tool on certain sections of the photo by dragging the oval crop around on the picture. [I know nothing about editing photos, so please excuse my illiteracy. Hopefully, you can understand me.]

I feel tempted to download that HQ mod, but I'm worried I'll mess up my game. I am very bad at downloading stuff and find the instructions confusing, because it's not like other mods where all you have to do is extract it to to your downloads folder.
    Hell, I can't even find.. the folder they were talking about! It says something about a game bin..

My graphics card is AMD Readeon HD 8750M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM. I have no idea what any of it means, but surely it's enough to handle the game, right? My sister's boyfriend told me it could even play Skyrim! My therapist's, who is a gamer was the one who looked up this PC and helped me pick it out.. :( So yeah, kinda sucks that my graphics aren't working well.

If anyone would like to see the improved version of my last photoshoot, just ask and I'll post it up. I'd kinda like to know if the method I've found works..

If I'm correct, it looks like your edge smoothing is turned off/at the lowest. :O Try upping it and it should look better. If you still need help with that I'll post a guide. xD

For the HQ mod, it is confusing because the guides aren't thorough enough! :lol: In reality it's extremely easy. The problem most people run into is the fact that they don't know that there are two folders for the Sims 3.

My mini-guide: (Ante, if you need me to move this to a different page, let me know!)
    Hopefully you have a windows PC. xD Also, I'm not sure how your system is organized, but hopefully it looks like this. If not, I can still help you.

First off, we need to find that folder. Now, if you already know how to get to "Computer" then you're already close to finishing this. If not, open up your folders where the The Sims 3 sits. There should be a bar to the left where it lists all of your files. "Computer" should be among them, along with "Pictures", "Music", "Documents", etc.
    Step_1.png

Once there, you click on the first hard drive (or if you know what hard drive you installed it on, click on that one instead). If you only had one harddrive in the first place, don't worry about that. xD Once you do, you come to a list of folders. Click on "Program Files (x86)".
    Step_2.png~original
    Step_3.png~original

Once there, we need to look for either "Origin Games" or a folder similar to TS3. So either it will be "Origin Games", or it will be under "Electronic Arts" or The Sims 3. Mine is Origin. Click on the folder when you find it. Step_4.png~original
    Once in Origin, or the folder equal to it, click on the folder marked as "The Sims 3". If it takes you to a folder like this though, ignore this step.
    Step_5.png~original

Once you clicked on it, this should appear. Click "Game" and then "Bin".

Step_6.png~original
    Step_7.png~original

Congrats! You made it to the inner workings of your sims game. :mrgreen: When you finally get everything going, this is the file that is being modified.
    Step_8.png~original

Now, for actually installing the mod. You will need two folders. So create them, then name one "My Graphics Rule" and the other "HQ Graphics Rule". Once you have named them and created them wherever you want (make sure you can get to them easily later), download the HQ mod that you want. Now that the mod is downloaded, open the file that it is in and extract it to where you can easily get it. Once you have extracted it, drag the file (labeled as "GraphicsRules.sgr") to the folder you just created, the "HQ Graphics Rule". Once you drag the mod there, go to the "Bin" file I lead you to earlier, and copy the "GraphicsRules.sgr" file. Paste the file into "My Graphics Rule". The reason you are doing this is so that you can revert back to your old graphics rule when you are done with the HQ mod.
    So whenever you want to use the mod, you do this: Copy the file in your "HQ" folder and paste it in the "Bin" folder. This will ask if you want to replace the current file with the one you pasted. Hit "Yes" and then load your game and do what you want. When you are done, copy the file from your "My" folder, then paste it into your "Bin" folder and say yes again. Now your settings are normal!

Some people play with it all the time, but you're not supposed to. xD You can do so if you wish.
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited August 2014
    Even though I'm not a mentor, I can try helping with what I know. :mrgreen:
    From what I've heard there are several camera mods out there, but the one that I use (and also sounds like it comes with more) is this one. It slows the camera down, so no matter where your sim is you have control of your camera. I couldn't imagine modeling without it, especially since the photography studio is upstairs in my models' home, and the higher you get without this mod the more wonky the camera gets.

For anyone else having camera issues, I suggest getting this mod or another one like it.

Awesome, thank you so much! :mrgreen:
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    AbbiJo44AbbiJo44 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2014
    I think I have found an answer to my .rar file dilemma! :D I found this website, called online-convert.com, that can convert rar files to zip files for free! I downloaded the HQ mod, and was able to extract the zip and get the file. I haven't tried installing it yet, but it looks like it works, yay! :mrgreen:

My world of cc and mods just got a whole lot bigger, haha. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for all the help Mizzie! I know you know what you're doing with a lot of this, so I trust you to hand out good advice.

Keep in mind, everyone, that pretty edges are NOT a requirement of this particular assignment, and if you've never done it before, don't start without guidance! However, there are many things you can do to get better lines without editing, and everything Mizzie said is a good place to start, as well as the HQ mods! I recommend the No Glow mod whether you want the HQ or not, simply because that glow thing is super annoying and completely unrealistic, whether you're doing this for modeling or for story-telling.
  • Options
    Thanks, Yukii! Very helpful. I loved your post about the graphic mod.