Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♥♥♥ Beginner's Comp Discussion Thread ♥♥♥

antebellum13antebellum13 Posts: 183 Member
edited August 2014 in The Sims 3 Sims and Modeling
OFFICIAL THREAD TO COMP CAN BE FOUND HERE!

I'M CHANGING THIS TO A DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THE COMP WHERE YOU CAN TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES AND TO THE MENTORS! ORIGINAL MESSAGE IS BELOW.

Hi all! I'm antebellum, and you may have seen me crop up around the forums a whole lot lately. I'm one of the co-editors of Just Sims Magazine, and among other duties, I'm also responsible for creating the design and layout of every single page, as well as ordering and uploading to the internet.

I started modeling only about 2 months ago, but I've come leaps and bounds since my first entry. What I've noticed in these amazing modeling competitions is that they can come off as rather intimidating to newcomers. Not the hosts! The hosts are AMAZING and always so helpful in helping us grow! But sometimes it can be hard to have confidence in yourself when you have limited editing/photography skills and you see so many other Simmers entering amazing photographs that look so professional!

So the idea I pitched to the staff of Just Sims Magazine is to do a modeling competition that is ONLY FOR BEGINNERS. It's fine if you've entered other contests, but you have to have either been eliminated early on, placed pretty low, or just feel inadequate in your editing skills. OR you might be someone who's always loved to watch the contests but never felt confident enough to join up!

And if you're just lurking or feel you're too advanced for the comp, feel free to try out some techniques you've never seen or tried before. Just because you're not competing doesn't mean you can't learn something new!

The competition would be NON-ELIMINATION. The goal is to grow as a photographer and as an editor, and you can't do that if you've been eliminated after the first assignment!

Each assignment, I will post a tutorial on a particular skill and ask you to execute that skill. I will try to keep it GIMP and Photoshop-friendly. Photoshop is expensive and usually anyone who owns it received the copy free through a relative or through friends. GIMP on the other hand is completely free and takes up little disk space. Neither program uses a lot of CPU, so it likely will not bog down your computer if you are running a lower-end PC, which many of us are! You will be scored on your ability to follow the tutorial and execute, but in this competition, the scoring exists only to let you know how well you're grasping the concept. In the end, we will place your beginning shot with your finale shot and the judges will decide who has best improved.

Things you might learn in this comp include:

Pose Player usage
Basic editing
Filters & Effects
Lighting & Backgrounds (in-game)
Taking an outdoor shot
Hair Stock usage
Advanced editing
Pose creation
and more!

Depending on the complexity of the assignment, you may be given up to TWO WEEKS to accomplish your photograph. But fret not, we will start easy and work our way up. The purpose of this comp is to improve your skills and boost your confidence!

So I'm putting it out there, to see who might be interested in such a thing! If I can get at least 10 people interested, then I will set up the comp and away we'll go!

And did I mention the whole comp will be featured in Just Sims Magazine and the winner ("Most Improved", though you will all hopefully be very improved!) will get their own spread? ;)

INTERESTED PARTIES:

1. lovebirdelounor
2. bubblegum17
3. brunettesimgirl
4. WissaWolf
5. jojo784379
6. lijahlexi123
7. mmitchel
8. CraigyBoy2 §
9. lexidarling123
10. easypeaze §
11. OceanRose56
12. 1423smile
13. TearsDropFast §
14. bongani §

§ = Survey answers received!
Post edited by antebellum13 on

Comments

• Options
    Angel_ZarrAngel_Zarr Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2014
    :-o I actually love the entire concept of this idea! When you started talking about the intimidation part in competitions, I seriously related to pretty much everything! I think this competition gives people the chance to grow as a photographer and editor without having the pressure of intimidation or elimination. A lot of competitions these days (even long before) always had that atmosphere and it completely brings down your self confidence which I'm not a fan of.

To everyone whose new to modeling or old (not that old, like Bebs or Chell old XD It's a compliment :3 Meaning they're too advanced ;-;), I'd recommend this <3! It's a great stepping stone ^^

Seriously, when I joined modeling forums I wish something like this was here because practically every single talking person in this forum scared the hell out of me and I was practically on my knees XDD Take advantage of this~!!

@Antebellum Mind if I spread the word about this on Tumblr; I think it'd bring a lot of newcomers to the forums? Or did JS Magazine already make a post? (If so I'll reblog it ;3)

OH MY GOD. O.O.O.O!!! I'm actually teaching a few people the basics with photography and I admit I'm having trouble because there's like 4 of them! I'm going to direct them to here :D!
  • Options
    lovebirdelounorlovebirdelounor Posts: 31 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi! i'm Georgina (aka: simlychic) a girl on tumblr talked me into joining :) and i'm actually really excited! <3 i'm pretty sure the girl Angel_Zarr! And i would just like to thank you for being so nice and kind <3
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Angel, I would LOVE it if you spread the word! I don't have a Tumblr myself, and there was no official announcement on JSM, just in the Staff Only area. So by all means, please help gain some momentum! If I have 10, if I have 20, it doesn't matter, everyone deserves the chance to grow and to learn. I think perhaps if this gains enough popularity, I'll repeat it every 6-12 months to pick up more people who are joining every day (unless it needs to be done less or more frequently).

Thanks so much for your comment! It's good to know I wasn't the only one who felt intimidated and a little lackluster in comparison to the amazing editors entering the same comps as myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lovebird, I will put your name down as an interested party! If we gain enough people, I will start up a new thread specifically for the comp and move the list of names over (so keep an eye out if we get more people, and I'll make an announcement)!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hi! i'm Georgina (aka: simlychic) a girl on tumblr talked me into joining :) and i'm actually really excited! <3 i'm pretty sure the girl Angel_Zarr! And i would just like to thank you for being so nice and kind <3

Heyyyy ^^ :mrgreen: Call me Angel <3<3 I can't wait till this starts :3

@Antebellum Great :D I'll set up a post about this now :D!!
  • Options
    CyazuraiCyazurai Posts: 1,284 Member
    edited July 2014
    This is SUCH a brilliant idea! I really wanted something like this when I first started, but luckily there was a newbie-friendly Holiday comp that helped me jump in (I still had no confidence in my shots and felt super-intimidated by all the amazing competitors, though). But this.. this would help SO many! You should go for it! I would so lurk this.
    I believe something's can't be explained
    They are hidden in the mist and in the silver rain...
  • Options
    cheerio517cheerio517 Posts: 817 Member
    edited July 2014
    This is a great idea! When I first started, I basically knew nothing and joined everything... I could have used a comp like this to smooth the transition a little.
    hvv6th.jpg
  • Options
    IceTigers21IceTigers21 Posts: 810 Member
    edited July 2014
    This is a really great idea! I've been on here and doing any types of edits for about a month so I don't know if I would still qualify as beginner, but I know that I would have really loved to have something like this when I first joined! Everyone has been so super helpful and kind but this would have been an amazing additional tool to have. I'd love to lurk- best of luck with this! :mrgreen:
    Siggy_zpsvy6uc9hh.gif

• Options
    edited July 2014
    If you're still feeling less confidence about your entries, then by all means I can add you to the list. At the very least a few assignments may seem easier while others will be a new experience. It's up to you, though!
  • Options
    bubblegum17bubblegum17 Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Hello!
    I am Tylersimslove On tumblr. I am fairly new to the simblr/Sims community. I wanted to learn how to edit for a while now. I love seeing everyone's pictures. I would love to join and learn how to improve my skills. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hi! I'll add you to the list! Keep checking back for updates, as I still need to gather somewhat of a following before I can make this real. Hopefully within a week or so I'll put up a thread for this comp!
  • Options
    Mhamilton0911Mhamilton0911 Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited July 2014
    hey ante! put up a thread on other forums like Gift Giving/gathering and the creative corner, there are simmers in those thread that would want to learn and have been too intimidated to try! :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks, that sounds like an excellent plan!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hello!
    I am Tylersimslove On tumblr. I am fairly new to the simblr/Sims community. I wanted to learn how to edit for a while now. I love seeing everyone's pictures. I would love to join and learn how to improve my skills. :)

Hi tyler~ It's Azurexangel from tumblr ^-^!! or just call me Angel <3 Glad the post got some tumblr users interested :D Spread ze word <3
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I would love to be put on the list as being interested, as I definitely am! I understand if it's decided I don't qualify, though, and I'll be happy to lurk! :D
    Siggy_zpsvy6uc9hh.gif

• Options
    edited July 2014
    You can always choose to omit yourself from actually "winning" if you feel like you're just advanced enough to be considered an unfair advantage. :)

But remember, the "winner" or "winners" will be based on "Most Improved." It has nothing to do with the quality of your work throughout the competition, but rather the difference between the very first shot and very last (you should be able to see a very obvious difference in quality). So if you are slightly at an advantage, we would see more of a refinement of skill between images rather than a huge improvement, if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    15MagPies15MagPies Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2014
    Saw your post on the stories forum, and I have to say that this is a great idea. I know next to nothing about editing, but I've been really interested in it (I lurk quite a bit). I love creating sim stories and I think learning how to use GIMP could really add a nice touch to them.

I'm pretty shy, so I think I'll be too nervous to actually enter the competition. If all the assignments and tutorials are public, then I'll for sure follow along on my own.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sounds good! Whatever you are most comfortable with.

As a general note to anyone else who might be nervous about entering: There will hopefully be a lot of new people on here, and it will be in the rules that nobody can be negative with each other (this is a rule I have seen in every single competition I've looked at or participated in), but I have never ever seen a Simmer get nasty with or intentionally put down a fellow competitor or general Simmer. In fact, this is probably the nicest group of people I've ever been around. We judge on a strict constructive criticism basis. I've entered horrendous photos before and the judges had nothing but nice things to say as well as very constructive tips meant to guide me rather than discourage me.

For anyone else who decides to follow along rather than participate, please, feel free to post any photo you're proud of accomplishing as a result of the tutorials I'll be posting for each assignment! You don't have to compete to post photos!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ooh I might do the following along thing :) That sounds perfect!
    Siggy_zpsvy6uc9hh.gif

• Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited July 2014
    This is a great idea! I def consider myself a beginner and I'm having fun teaching myself slowly as I do other fun projects in game. When I started competing last year I had no idea what hidden lights were or how to get a real white background! This is great for people who don't want to compete in a competition...they can really stress you out when your learning how to edit at first(that was me last year and still now!). Everyone here is super friendly and helpful. Having a thread where you learn different methods or techniques along with posting pictures of your accomplishment is what beginners need! Positive feedback or critiques are great ways to grow and learn from each other! Love this idea. :) I will be lurking this...got too much going on in game to participate! :-)
  • Options
    aprlmaprlm Posts: 660 Member
    edited July 2014
    For anyone else who decides to follow along rather than participate, please, feel free to post any photo you're proud of accomplishing as a result of the tutorials I'll be posting for each assignment! You don't have to compete to post photos!

I will definitely be following along, thanks for doing this! :)
    a.k.a *April* My Sims 3 page
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm interested. :)
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Great! I'll put you down! :D
  • Options
    WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member