Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seventeen & Maldusk: A Supernatural Soap Opera

Comments

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    Welcome back @Ellupelluellu ! :smile:

Popcorn is such a weird thing to encounter for the first time. What other food is served inside out?

I don't know if anyone remembers at this point, but "Diamonds are for Sims" is Reuben's favorite movie. And apparently, he likes the action parts. Too bad the others in the room wouldn't be quiet. Watching his favorite movie could have been pretty good for him right now. It's almost as if some mysterious all-powerful, guiding, outside of his world Watcher likes making his life difficult or something. :wink:

Let's hope Tre is wrong. Torturing aliens can't be a smart way for humans to introduce their planet to the rest of the galaxy.

The doors in this apartment building seem to take a lot of abuse, don't they?

As for the mystery lady - So far no one's theories have even come close (at least not regarding what she is). :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    Haha, oh my, oh my...
    It's almost as if some mysterious all-powerful, guiding, outside of his world Watcher likes making his life difficult or something. :wink:
    But that cannot be true, right :p
    what she is
    now this just came even more interesting :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @GlacierSnow
    These image-only chapters are always fun, especially in retrospect after we get a few more chapters into the future and can understand more clearly what was going on.
    So our stalker or their relative or some random person who looks so much like them and also stalks is selling snow globes, Voidcritter cards, and a very expensive golden frog. What’s more interesting is that they seem to be getting in trouble with their vampire bosses. I wonder what Reuben knows about these vampires.
    On a side note, I like that Tristan and Tre have opposite MBTI personalities. For my own characters, I didn’t take a quiz for most of them (too much trouble for me and I can’t help but cheat on quizzes like that anyway), but I carefully assigned the types based on what I know about them. I too find it helpful to sometimes reflect on that.
    I’m curious about which of your character will be featured next Sunday.
  • Options
    @Ellupelluellu
    what she is

now this just came even more interesting

Umm... I mean "what" as in vocation rather than species. :lol:

@haneul

This chapter will definitely be one to look back at later, and possibly one to compare to a few chapters we've already seen. There are a few important things seen at the penthouse that no one seems to have caught yet... :naughty::innocent: And, I'm really rather pleased, since I put them in very plain view.

It is an odd assortment that is for sale on the table, indeed.

And,
    So our stalker or their relative or some random person who looks so much like them and also stalks

If I am understanding your comment correctly, one of my test readers also thought the two "evesdropper/stalker" types looked similar. So just to make sure we are all on the same page...

Two-Characters.jpg

Next week will be all sweetness and light (and I mean that unironically) with Annie being geeky and Ion being adorable.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited February 2023
    @GlacierSnow
    There are a few important things seen at the penthouse that no one seems to have caught yet... :naughty::innocent: And, I'm really rather pleased, since I put them in very plain view.
    It's hard to know what's important until later? Or at least that's how I function. Most of the time, I have to see a later chapter and get even more evidence so that I can say more confidentially "Oh yeah, that relates to ... in the other chapter." I don't know how much Sim lore factors into the story, but I suppose that I should assume that nothing is random and that everything is intentional. I only like being wrong about a couple predictions each chapter :D , so I tend to only make a few comments instead of going wild with speculation about Vlad, military uniforms, Cordelia and pirates, illegal activity, potential police corruption/investigations, etc. I also don't know that much about Sim lore and have difficulty recognizing a lot of the premades because I've only ever played with one and I have a general policy of avoiding and deleting them in my own game. Everything I've learned about them I've learned from SimLit.
    If I am understanding your comment correctly, one of my test readers also thought the two "evesdropper/stalker" types looked similar. So just to make sure we are all on the same page...
    Yes. I thought they could be meant to be the same person with two different disguises because the eye color is the same, they both have freckles over their nose and a mole on the right, and they are both acting like stalkers (or at least show up in the background a lot).

• Options
    edited February 2023
    @haneul :smiley:
    It's hard to know what's important until later? Or at least that's how I function. Most of the time, I have to see a later chapter and get even more evidence so that I can say more confidentially "Oh yeah, that relates to ... in the other chapter."

That's a perfectly fine way to read the story. :smile:
    I don't know how much Sim lore factors into the story, but I suppose that I should assume that nothing is random and that everything is intentional.

Most things in this story are intentional (though some are just intended as jokes with no plot significance). But I will say that I'm not using any premade sims as actual important characters in this story. But I do use them as walk-ons and extras when I need a crowd. And in public areas, they may just wander into the scene of their own accord. Some of the game lore factors into the story, such as using the Landgraab name on some building or something, but mostly just as world details like that. More as in-jokes or easter eggs for the readers who play (since some of my other readers don't). The real story lore is made up as I write it.

As a little side note... The guy that Vlad is talking to in the pool is a sim from one of my own other saves. It's a "Greek Mythology" save, and that particular sim is Zeus. Originally, Vlad and Zeus were hanging out in a hot-tub together out on one of the balconies, but I needed to streamline the flow of images in this chapter to make better "narrative" sense, so they ended up getting moved to the indoor pool. If I remember right, Aphrodite, Hermes, and Dionysus were also at this party, but I don't think all of them made the final screenshots cut. It's of no significance story-wise. Using my own sims from other saves as extras is just a thing I do because it amuses me.

____
    EDIT (forgot to comment on this)
    Yes. I thought they could be meant to be the same person with two different disguises because the eye color is the same, they both have freckles over their nose and a mole on the right, and they are both acting like stalkers (or at least show up in the background a lot).

You're not alone. Another reader thought that too. But It's just coincidence how similar they look. I didn't even notice it myself until she started speculating on them.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 19 is ready!

Main page link

Chapter index link

Annie defuses a tense First-Contact crisis.
    SAM-C19-Annie-Chap-Link.jpg
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    YAY!!!!
    first, Underfoot knows solution to all the problems there!

second, I soo soso want to SEE the ship too!!!!

third and last, and most of all important, Underfoot is genius <3

ETA: sorry, im not up to any meaningful, deep analyze, and I don't have english skills to do so, haha, but I cannot help but totally melt when I see that sweet face of that dog <3

Post edited by Ellupelluellu on

• Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 794 Member
    Wow, lots to process here!
    Now I see way better where all your comments about how our alien-lore were actually quite similar, the main difference I can see now is that in your story sixamnians can only use telepathy within their species (or, better, telepathy when connected to the "hive mind" and strong empathy in the other cases), while in my story the older sixamians can see in the mind of all those around them (earthlings included). And this changes the results quite a bit, actually...

However, back to the chapter, I'm very happy that the first one to face Ion for being an alien was Annie, she really made a lot of the questions I would have liked to ask as well!
    I see well why Ion would struggle to understand lying, that's actually a topic I was planning to mention in a few chapters as well. Understanding that people like Tre may be just spreading misinformation sounds like something really incomprehensible to him, but Annie was smart enough to find a turnaround to demonstrate that those were most likely lies. She also managed to maintain a remarkable composture, given how much mindblowing information she was receiving. I want to see the spaceship too!
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    New chapter!
    I realise I've been using the wrong pronouns for Ion I think. You'd think a they/them would know better X_X
    I don't like seeing Ion with a sad face! IT HURTS :'( Thing is who's to say the Sixamnian Hive Mind is always correct? IF I'm understanding it right (I never understand things right) that idea and the 'correct information' must come from somewhere or someone, and now I'm wondering how much false info Ion has been spoonfed throughout their life. Questioning the reality of everything is a really sucky place to be. It makes sense to me that a hivemind would be more interested in maintaining a sense of obedience than truth. And now Annie's got the same idea as me. Laughed so hard at the 'Tre's bull-spreading system' and the comic-book style image with the explosion XD Had to laugh at the 'park' mix-up as well, but can you blame them?
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Wow! I wanna
    see the ship too, Annie!
    I really hope it looks like a porta potty or something.

And that's awesome the way you are developing the hive mind. Man. It either has to be 100% true-blue or 100% corrupt.
  • Options
    Wow, everyone was eager to read this chapter :lol: Annie plus Ion seems like a popular combo.

@Ellupelluellu

I agree 100%. Underfoot is the smartest character in this whole story. :wink:

Please don't apologize for your comments. I love them! And it means a lot to me that you read my story and let me know you like it.

@HermioneSims

There are a few limited telepathic/tele-empathic things Sixamnians can do with some other species. For example, Ion can communicate telepathically with Paladin, at least to some degree. Most of these actions take special training and/or technological augmentation, though, and are much less than the full communication they can do with each other using the Hive Mind. Maybe consider the metaphor of old fashioned telegraph messages versus modern day internet. In Chapter 5, Ion mentions wanting to peek into Reuben's mind, but chooses not to because of not knowing how Reuben would react (mental defense mechanisms) or if telepathic intrusion would hurt him.

Ion definitely has a hard time with the concept of lying. Or even just with joking (as we saw in Chapter 11 in reference to Annie's "Cleric" joke about Underfoot). This is partly why Ion is so trusting all the time. Surely this won't cause any problems when dealing with humans!

@SnowBnuuy

Ion doesn't understand the pronoun system in this human language. This is why Ion still refers to everyone as "it". The sixamnian pronouns don't translate well, so none of the human ones fit for how Ion sees "gender" (which itself may even be a mistranslation of the sixamnian concept).

Different characters see Ion differently. Reuben, Tristan, and Tre all see Ion as male, and don't appear to have given it much thought. Annie is using "they" because Ion still hasn't said what to use (even though she asked back in Chapter 9), and because clearly even Sixamnian reproductive sexes are different than human ones, so she figures social concepts like genders probably are too.

I've been trying to avoid using any pronouns at all to refer to Ion when responding to comments, deliberately, so as not to set anything in stone. Though, I have slipped up a couple times if you've been paying close attention. :lol: At some point Ion may specify a preference, so far we don't know.

I don't like seeing Ion with a sad face! IT HURTS :'(

Ion does have just the saddest little sad face ever. It still pains my heart when I see it, and I'm the one who wrote the story that way. :lol:

@mightysprite
    I really hope it looks like a porta potty or something.

:joy::joy::joy:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2023
    Good, well written story. I love how bright and carefully selected your pics are. I like how you're managing to keep the whole thing upbeat.
    The mix of pirate and vampire paraphernalia at the penthouse is interesting since Annie came back from her trip dressed like a pirate. But I'm probably off on the wrong foot.

Edit: I guess how Vlad, Bella, and Mortimer fit in is with the vampire theme, but I'd be curious to find out if Nancy is just there because she's rich or if she has a bigger role.

I would expect the military to be after the alien, but teaming up with the vampires makes me wonder what's going on.

Also, is that Johnathon Bright at the vampire hangout? I couldn't be sure.

It's interesting how you've set up the characters' personalities so that the one who fits in the least (Tre) is the one completely oblivious to how he fits in or doesn't among the band of introverts and an actual outsider. Everyone else seems to carry deep angst about not fitting in.
    Post edited by Gigge on
  • Options
    Hi @Gigge ! Welcome on board! I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Definitely some pirate fans running around town... :wink:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    Lol, I edited at the same time you posted. Love the little bits of foreshadowing.
  • Options
    @Gigge Ooo! More comments! :smiley:

In this story, the premade sims just make cameo appearances for giggles (or sometimes they just show up and crash the party on their own). I don't intend to really involve them as characters (could change, you never know, but at the moment they're just extras). So feel free to make up your own fan version of what they're doing there. :wink: I assume Nancy mostly came for the excellent spa attendants this party-thrower hires.

Military guys... Yeah... What are they doing here? (I'm still working on the story, so I wonder too sometimes :lol: I kind of know where I'm going, but I'm trying to puzzle out the whole landscape with nothing but a three watt flashlight.) Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

That is, indeed, Jonathan Bright enjoying the penthouse festivities. Good spotting!
    It's interesting how you've set up the characters' personalities so that the one who fits in the least (Tre) is the one completely oblivious to how he fits in or doesn't among the band of introverts and an actual outsider. Everyone else seems to carry deep angst about not fitting in.

This is an extremely insightful comment, and I love it! It's true. Tre really has no worries whatsoever about whether or not he fits in pretty much anywhere, which is probably good, since he usually doesn't. Everyone else is quite angsty in that group, often for no well supported reason. :lol:

Except Underfoot. Underfoot is wise beyond all her doggy years. :wink:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 20 is ready!

Main page link

Chapter index link

Ion shows Annie some alien tech.
    SAM-C20-Ion-Chap-Link.jpg
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited February 2023
    Okay, Ion disguised their spaceship as the last thing I was expecting
    a spaceship
    :lol:
    I wonder why it managed to remain undisturbed for so long?
    And I wonder who or what those two "blips" will turn out to be?
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    @GlacierSnow I’ve been following your story quietly for a while now and I just came here to say that I love your characters and especially the humor. 😆
    Thank you for such an enjoyable read!
  • Options
    @mightysprite Thanks for your comments!
    Okay, Ion disguised their spaceship as the last thing I was expecting... a spaceship

:lol: At least I surprised you, I guess.

This is kind of what I was attempting to talk about in my "behind-the-scenes" ramble a couple chapters ago. Overt comedy is kind of hard for me to keep up long term. Especially as more "story stuff" starts happening. My natural sense of humor is more inclined toward subtle absurdity, and a lot of the time the absurdity is so subtle (or maybe just so absurd) that other people don't even realize it's a joke. So the story might start to seem more serious to some readers, but to me it's still funny.

Clueless naive alien disguises actual spaceship as a cartoonishly obvious crashed flying saucer? There was never a chance it was ever going to be anything else. That's just the way my mind works.
    I wonder why it managed to remain undisturbed for so long?

There's actually a pretty simple reason why no one is really paying attention to it in that form. :wink: Take a good look at what other objects are right around the spaceship, and consider what you might think if you actually saw these objects together at a public park in real life.
    And I wonder who or what those two "blips" will turn out to be?

[Redacted] [Redacted] [Redacted] Huh. That's strange. I tried to reply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Welcome! Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you're enjoying the story.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    hahaaa
    Great as usual , Annie is my far fav character if not counted one <3

Haha, perfect disguise, so stereotypical, cactis and all, makes it 110% look like other .. hmm.. art peace in park :D

Oh my, Annie is correct, Im a Star Trek nerd, and after seen almost all series there is (VOY ive seen multiple times) , not even once have I seen or heard about toilet :D

2 blips??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? Im not curious.. no..

And, last, but most important
    dL8XgKb.jpg

• Options
    @Ellupelluellu I love your comments. Thanks for sharing!

Annie is so fun to write. I just let my true nerdy self run wild.
    Haha, perfect disguise, so stereotypical, cactis and all, makes it 110% look like other .. hmm.. art peace in park :disappointed:

Exactly. Right? :lol: Blends right in. Ion is a genius.
    Oh my, Annie is correct, Im a Star Trek nerd, and after seen almost all series there is (VOY ive seen multiple times) , not even once have I seen or heard about toilet :disappointed:

I love Star Trek! :love:

But it's so true though. Not once, during any of those long months aboard that ship, all those officer meetings in the conference room, all those off-duty hours in the lounge (drinking all those drinks) or on any of those tense away missions, does anyone ever need to go to the bathroom. :joy: Now, Annie finds out the reality. Spaceships need toilets.
    2 blips??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? Im not curious.. no..

😁 Good to hear that you're "not curious". I would not like to think I am tormenting you with suspense or anything. :wink:

Yet again, Underfoot steals the show. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 794 Member
    New chapter!
    Well, how could we not think about it before... Ion's spaceship was indeed disguised as a much less suspicious crashed flying saucer XD For sure that's something locals would immediately associate with a spaceship, but Annie is probably right in saying that most other earthling objects would have draw much less attention than it XD

Annie for sure had a lot of good questions, having a sixamnian engineer to ask the details would have been great at that moment! Too bad Ion was not in the mood for more extensive explanations, but after hearing (and believing) all the stuff Tre said earlier really seemed difficult for him. It's interesting to see him in action with telepathic enhancing devices as well, and also to have the confirmation that there aren't other sixamnians around the place. Those two signals though, uhm... It didn't sound totally random to me.

My main curiosity now is: for how much longer people will keep ignoring the huge crashed flying saucer in their city park?
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    @HermioneSims Thanks for your comments!

I keep trying to figure out how to respond without giving away too much, but unfortunately, I'm just not feeling witty enough this week. But I enjoy reading everything you write. I like that there are things you are curious about.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    New chapter!
    'You think a flying saucer confirms to expectations?' made me laugh so much XD And Ion's response to her after of 'Hmmm...' I love the inside of the ship! I want to cuddle Ion ;-; Ion is adorable. Oh my gosh the toilet thing XD I like your evolutionary explanation of the Sixamnians and their telepathy and how it fits in with their survival as a species. I like that it's not exactly mind-reading and more just emotion-reading. HER THING ABOUT THE HORSE POOP I laughed my head off oh my gosh XD Yeah me too, Ion, I'm also surprised that VERY OCCASIONALLY you get to meet a nice human...
    they/them or she/her