The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does a Last Will and Testament Matter?

EleriEleri Posts: 573 Member
edited May 5 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Currently, when a sims dies, their personal inventory moves to the household inventory. That's okay if you plan on selling it, but what if you want to keep their knickknacks? You have to put them in the world one by one so another household member can pick them up. I know, one solution is to move their stuff to someone else before they die, but sometimes a sim dies unexpectedly or the player loses track of where they are in their elder stage.

It would be nice if sims could make a will so that their inventory items would go automatically to a different sims inventory. They might designate a sim to inherit all of their personal inventory, or they could break it down by the different inventory filters. Maybe that one cousin with a green thumb inherits all of the gardening items, and the gemologist brother inherits the collectibles, etc. If the person named in the will dies first, then everything they were supposed to inherit goes to the household inventory, same as before.
-No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
-Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
-No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.

Does a Last Will and Testament Matter? 21 votes

I need this!
33%
AnmirlaRasia SilverBriana2425PhillipaErdnussFlikka_FlikkaArarinestrictlytea 7 votes
I'd probably use this, but I wouldn't get excited over it.
42%
crocobauraMariefoxprice83EnkiSchmidtZiafarSERVERFRAWildIrishBansheeDaWaterRatskipCaerfinon 9 votes
Zero interest.
23%
BoergeAarg61friendlysimmersRedShoe7Perti23CAROLPRICE1963 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,838 Member
    I need this!
    I love this idea!
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,381 Member
    edited May 5
    If the only sim dies in the household, it should not be Game Over.

The testament could tell who is the next sim to control receiving the family fund and the house of the dead sim.
    Of course it should also include the unpaid bills.

If there are several sims, only the family fund should be split.

If the dead sim is a NPC, the game could choose the one family related with the best relationship and social compatibility.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,501 Member
    edited May 5
    Nobody really dies in my game, but if the option is there, I might use it. My sims will be pretty angry after I resurrect them and see they got nothing left.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,650 Member
    I need this!
    They had that in the Sims 2 which I thought wasa great gameplay a family dies and depending on the relationship the Sims with the highest got a huge lump sum and the ones with the lowest got some or none.
    I would like a will and testament in game.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,080 Member
    edited May 5
    I think id just be paranoid such feature would not work as it sounds complicated and things could get lost in the shuffle n all that

so I would keep doing it manually/ the old way of placing the items in household inventory, storage box or around the house

and/or elder sims might give some items as presents while they are alive rather than keeping it to their very death

I also just tend to place down/ sell any items from my sims inventory that they are not using all that often cause idk part of me just finds it weird to have all these items in my sims imaginary backpack at all times

I don't run into many accidental deaths and i have the neighborhood stories off though so yeah its usually me deciding when my sims pass away

all that said maybe some money management could be cool though like saving money to your sims children

I know theres the vault but its just so big to fit in any normal house
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CaerfinonCaerfinon Posts: 734 Member
    would need interactions for sims with evil trait to get elder sims to make them the beneficiaries... a whole new revenue stream.
    Cheers
    C.
    Traits: 🐶Dog Lover, 🎨Creative, 😑Loner
    My Stories: 🤷🏻🐕 Simmer Tales a comic look at Sims 4 | 🌐A Sim's Life - Comic observations | 🌌Galaxy Far Away - Adventures on Batuu | 🌃Dark Matters - Crime stories
    My CC: 🎨 Caerfinon's Sims 4 Custom Content
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,567 Member
    Zero interest.
    I have 0 intress in this because i let my sims live forver never age never dies so has a player i would have 0 use for such a feature
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 573 Member
    edited May 9
    So it looks like there are actually three ideas about this. There's my idea of an individual legacy for distributing personal inventory. There's @LeGardePourpre idea of a household legacy for disposing of household assets after the last member dies. I'd like that too, my only issue is the idea of inheriting a house. Sims aren't allowed to own multiple residences to live in. I think it would be less messy if the inheriting household inherits the value of the house in cash, instead of the house itself. It would be cool if they could also inherit household funds and inventory, though. You could end up with this whole class of society that are old money aristocrats.

Then there's @Briana2425 idea of bringing back life insurance from the Sims 2. I'd almost forgotten about that. Now I think it's weird we don't have it. Maybe instead of making it automatic, sims can actually choose who their beneficiaries are. Maybe I'm making things too complicated . . .

Hopefully, if we get a funeral pack, they'll give us all three of these.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,381 Member
    edited May 9
    @Eleri

I didn't sell the house because the player may want to keep some personal stuff like photos.