Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,947 Member
    so that means we have essentially 13 days before lock to suggest threads for porting to the new site. Guess we'd better get cracking going through the forums and searching for threads that need to be nominated for porting. Yippee...lots of fun.

@Nikkei_Simmer , think of it this way, at least you don't have time to get bored :po:)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    @Ellupelluellu - Yep...in between running around blowing stuff up (in SWTOR) ...but I digress :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    BelalucinaBelalucina Posts: 843 Member
    Okay let me make sure I got this straight.

If my email addresses match, I have an HQ account, and my posts were made after Oct. 2022, and my images were linked using a url, then my threads and posts will be migrated and the images should be there? Since they aren't directly uploaded but are linked?

I'm worried about all the unique challenges posts that will be lost, but it looks like the challenge thread was nominated so I guess no worries there. Newer ones should automatically be migrated over as long as they have comments.
    Just in case no one has told you today, you are loved. <3
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,342 EA Community Manager
    Belalucina wrote: »
    Okay let me make sure I got this straight.

If my email addresses match, I have an HQ account, and my posts were made after Oct. 2022, and my images were linked using a url, then my threads and posts will be migrated and the images should be there? Since they aren't directly uploaded but are linked?

✅✅✅✅

You're all good!
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    no-noooo.gif

Body is 4 characters too short.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    @EA_Cade, sorry to bother you again, but I was wondering about the Markdown code this forum that's being created uses. I'm more familiar with BBCode and was just wondering how this is going to affect certain formatting of posts in terms of text.

Such as using *textinsert* for italics. ==text== for highlight etc. It's going to be hard for a lot of us older folks to figure out.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,966 Member
    no-noooo.gif

Body is 4 characters too short.

I hope Justine Keaton will join us on the new forums as well 💛
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Seems odd that new posts won't be ported over. The newer material is more likely to be live discussion than the before March material.
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Honestly I feel like this might be another EA app fiasco. And I really like the forums. I learned about basic gaming stuff here. Testingcheats, game guides, that mods exist. Subsequently the importance of anti-viruses. I haven’t participated in any community the way I have the sims community, and I’m someone who goes in and out every few months. Been doing that for almost a decade. (Took me a few months to find the forums once I started playing.) You’d better believe I’m gonna copy paste every post I’ve ever made, from the super cool ones, to the less popular ones. It’s been a journey.

Idk if I’ll like the new place, but I don’t want to see all that I’ve done here disappear into the dead void of the interwebs.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,044 Member
    This has probably already been asked, but asking just the same. I have one name on AHQ and another here, and the one on the forums is too short for AHQ - will I be able to change it on the new forums to what I have here or will I have to accept the AHQ one?
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,602 Member
    edited February 17
    JAL wrote: »
    This has probably already been asked, but asking just the same. I have one name on AHQ and another here, and the one on the forums is too short for AHQ - will I be able to change it on the new forums to what I have here or will I have to accept the AHQ one?

You could change your AHQ name now @JAL by adding another character/number to JAL, to make it longer.

This is what EA_Cade said about changing your name
    Your forum name will be whatever you set it as on AHQ, which can be changed here.
  • Options
    chips46chips46 Posts: 3,666 Member
    I have a question how do you get Notifications when someone post on a thread over at AHQ like we do here
  • Options
    chips46 wrote: »
    I have a question how do you get Notifications when someone post on a thread over at AHQ like we do here

You can receive notifications by email @chips46
    This link explains about it, in the Subscriptions and Notifications section at the bottom left of the page
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    I got the opposite problem. Apparently, my username here was too long for AHQ.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,682 Member
    I don't mind losing those badges, I never quite understood what difference they made anyway as they were not visible in the threads. I hope some of our existing status will transfer though, such as "a member since" or number of posts tranferred. It helps us to assist newbies getting into the loop if we can easily see that they are new.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,873 Member
    I'm just happy there will be a replacement forum, I'd be lost without my online family.

That was the only thing standing between me and completely freaking out at the news. Like a waving my arms in the air, screaming incoherently, while running through the streets kind of freak out.

These forums genuinely feel like a big family, and a really supportive and encouraging one too.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,966 Member
    edited February 17
    I'm just happy there will be a replacement forum, I'd be lost without my online family.

That was the only thing standing between me and completely freaking out at the news. Like a waving my arms in the air, screaming incoherently, while running through the streets kind of freak out.

These forums genuinely feel like a big family, and a really supportive and encouraging one too.

Yeah hopefully most of us give new forums a chance at least and transfer over as I'd be really sad to lose this community

Sure could probably go on discord or xitter or tumbler or whatever but it wouldn't be the same :(
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited February 17
    Simmingal wrote: »

Yeah hopefully most of us give new forums a chance at least and transfer over as I'd be really sad to lose this community

Sure could probably go on discord or xitter or tumbler or whatever but it wouldn't be the same :(

I'm feeling really hopeful that we won't have to worry. I haven't seen any comments so far from simmers saying they don't plan to make the move. Sure there's been plenty of apprehension. This place, for all of the problems that have cropped up over the last year or so, is still a second home.

I agree, there just isn't the same level of connection and community on the other social media sites. They feel so impersonal.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 510 Member

I'm feeling really hopeful that we won't have to worry. I haven't seen any comments so far from simmers saying they don't plan to make the move. Sure there's been plenty of apprehension. This place, for all of the problems that have cropped up over the last year or so, is still a second home.

I agree, there just isn't the same level of connection and community on the other social media sites. They feel so impersonal.

I’m feeling more positive now that I’ve seen just how many threads are being nominated to be carried over, and @EA_Cade saying that the vast majority of those should transfer successfully. I’m still sad at how much will be lost, but I’m hopeful that seeing so many familiar threads, with their contributions from familiar names, will help us settle into our new home. I hope too that as many simmers as possible will be able to have the same name over there so we can all recognise each other.
  • Options

I’m feeling more positive now that I’ve seen just how many threads are being nominated to be carried over, and @EA_Cade saying that the vast majority of those should transfer successfully. I’m still sad at how much will be lost, but I’m hopeful that seeing so many familiar threads, with their contributions from familiar names, will help us settle into our new home. I hope too that as many simmers as possible will be able to have the same name over there so we can all recognise each other.

I really wish there was a way to migrate everything over but I understand that probably isn't very realistic. I love seeing so many wonderful, informative and inspiring threads being added to the nominations list every day. It's such a comfort seeing all the simmers that I think of as my extended friends and family talking about the future of the new forums and showing excitement right along with the apprehension. We'll be just fine, even if it may take a little bit to get settled in and as comfortable as we are right now. We'll still be seeing each other so that helps make it a lot less scary.

I hope everybody gets to keep their names. I would go as far as saying for more than a few members there's a personal connection of some sort or to some degree behind the name. The names go beyond just a way to know who each other are. I think it would a wonderful gesture if members who can't keep their usernames from this forum would put their old names from this forum in their signature for a few weeks or months until we all get used to the new ones. I've seen members do that over time when they've had @EA_Cade change their names on this forum. I probably don't have to say it but a little reminder doesn't hurt. Does it?😁
  • Options
    CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    While I'm sad to see the sims forums go, I'm glad they gave us enough time to take it all in.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

I tend to agree, some social media sites just feel too daunting to build a sense of community.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

@EA_Cade Will the new forums have a non bright white like these forums? I remember when this forum was new the white was very bright and it hurt my eyes to read.
  • Options

I tend to agree, some social media sites just feel too daunting to build a sense of community.

So many of them feel like trying to have a conversation in the middle of a rock concert. Thousands of individual conversations all happening at the same time in the same place at full volume. Here, even in a hectic thread like the live stream reactions you feel like you can isolate conversations in the middle of the chaos and talk and interact normally. And I've never seen any place on the internet that is as civil as this. X in particular feels super toxic most of the time but this is our little oasis of calm.
  • Options
    edited February 17
    @EA_Cade Will the new forums have a non bright white like these forums? I remember when this forum was new the white was very bright and it hurt my eyes to read.

This is what EA_Cade posted in an earlier post @DragonAge_300905
    Dark mode options was my first request for the new site. Obviously no promises though :)