Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long does your game take to load? 🏎️ or 🐌?

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 4
    One minute and 20 seconds on my old save. A new save loaded in less than a minute.

i9-12900K, RTX3080OC(10GB), 64GB RAM, NVME M.2 Desktop PC.

I have all Packs except Horse Ranch and For Rent, Some kits, 10GB Mods and CC.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I just timed this to check.

From clicking on the icon in Origin, it takes me 2 mins 10 seconds to get to the point where the game’s ready to play. I think it takes a bit longer when I load up bigger lots or bigger households. I’m on a 2018 MacMini and have all EPs, GPs and all but one SP. No cc and the only mod I have is MCCC.

I timed TS3 just now too, for comparison. It took 4 mins 17 seconds from clicking the icon in Origin (but skipping the intro video). I’ve got all EPs and most SPs, plus quite a bit of store content and a few NRAAS mods. It used to take me nearer 8-9 mins until I reduced some of the graphics settings further (especially draw distance). I really don’t think I’d bother playing any game that took half an hour to load!
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    I just timed my loading time. From the Play-button to the main screen it was 3:32 minutes, and then again 2:32 minutes into my household (of course I'm not playing with my main household right now because I'm afraid of all the bugs, so I loaded the build I just finished building in another save. It was about the same loading time as my main household which lives on the 64x64 lot in Henford on Bagley.).

So in total my loading time is about 6 minutes. That's perfectly fine for me, because I still remember the 1 hour loading times I had with Sims 2. :D

My gaming PC is 8 years old, I have 8 GB RAM and my Mods folder has currently 27,9 GB.

I usually hit the Play Button, and while the game loads I get a blanket and make myself some tea or a heating bottle to put on my lap, because I always get cold when playing. And by the time I'm done with that the game has loaded and I can play. :)
  • Options
    ZelexPower2PCZelexPower2PC Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 6
    (Without CC) Had a bare minimum laptop at first for the sims 4. I don't remember the loading time as I haven't used it to play in years. But don't remember it being long enough that I had to do something else to pass time, only sims 3 was that long for me maybe 5-10mins. The in-between loading times maybe took a minute or more at best and I had it on low graphics. I brought a pc a while ago and sims 4 takes about 1-2 minutes if I guess, really it is so quick I don't think to time it, this also depends on the EA app sometimes. And around under 10 seconds for in between loads. All at max high graphics.
    Sims 3 was quicker on the new pc too but still took a while to load but with a mod it runs quick like sims 4. Plus, I have very little or rarely use mods on sims 3.

(With CC) this heavily depends on the size and total of the mods for me.
    On my old laptop it at the end took maybe 20 mins to load but the in-between wasn't affected by the CC like that, so I believe they were about the same as before. I just don't know the size of the cc because I would use specific CC folders, so If I wanted to play a specific file, I just switch the mod folders but if I had to guess around 50gb more or less. After transferring the cc to my new pc, I had over 100GB. With 95gb my new pc takes a minute or two to popup then 30mins to 35mins to the start screen, but in-between load times are still quick as before.

I'll time my pc later to be sure.

Edit: Took my computer 32 seconds to load from the EA APP to the start screen. And 5 seconds for in-between loading screens from loading a save or travel.
    Post edited by ZelexPower2PC on
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    edited February 5
    I was curious so I timed it:

With 6.55 GB of mods it took 6 minutes and 10 seconds to load into an older save file with a lot of playable sims.

With just the essential mods (71.6 MB) it took 2 minutes and 41 seconds to load into my vanilla rebuild world save file which also has a lot of playable sims.

Now this is where it gets weird. I took out all my mods and loaded into a save file I've only played once to test out Cottage Living and it took 2 minutes and 51 seconds.

Of course all of this was done with this thread open and I find my game runs slower whenever I have something else running in the background.

My gaming laptop is about 4 years old with a SSD.

ETA: So I closed down everything and opened the last save again and it took 2 minutes and 36 seconds, so having stuff open does add a little to the time.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz
    Nvidea gforce RTX 4070

All eps and gps most kits 54 seconds entered save from EA app start
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited February 5
    Even with all expansion packs and most stuff and game packs plus a bunch of cc walls, furniture, windows and doors my game loads in 60 seconds. I timed the load time today.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    I have to time it now. with a lot of cc less than 4 minutes to get to the first main menu. Less than 6 minutes loading into game. Loading into particular lots varies, but if it's over 6 minutes I usually call it crashed and restart. Since the infinite loading screen bug, I've been timing. Also Mc command center I haven't been able to use as it cause longer loading times.
    I'm on a lap top MacBook Pro, with a high end graphic card for 3d rendering applications and additions space and upgrades. Pretty much top of the line. on Mac is still on Origin as well.

with no mods folder it loads really fast, like I can't complain.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Mods/cc really do seem to make a difference! Though interestingly not quite in the same way for everyone

I have one mod (Home Regions), no cc, and a 5-year-old non gaming macbook. My game boots up in less than 3 minutes if you count everything from starting Origin to loading into a household. In-game loading screens are around 30 seconds or less.

Except, for some reason, when I'm traveling away from the Fashion District in San Myshuno. To anywhere else. That always takes much longer.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I have an older computer with Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 base game with Romantic Garden all on it. The Sims 3 and Sims 4 have CC, and my Sims 4 also has mods.
    It takes a bit for the game to launch, but after that it only takes about a couple minutes or so to actually launch the game. My other Sims games take longer, with Sims 3 taking the longest to load.
    In comparison, Sims 4 takes the shortest time, but that is due to not having everything for it on my PC. I have almost everything for my PS4 Sims 4, and that one takes a bit to load.
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    25 seconds to main menu
    38 seconds to live in game.

I play on a desktop I built myself a few years ago, but I upgrade parts every now and then. No cc or mods
    CPU i7 10700K, RTX 4070TI, 32gb ddr4 ram
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It's about 15 seconds for the loading screen, maybe 20. It's short and I don't mind watching the little tips go by. By the way, I did notice loading screens in the demo of LifeByYou, they are just left black. I think most games have transitional screens for different interfaces. I'm using a newer computer, a gaming laptop from the more affordable end that I got on sale. I mostly play an older main save but I'm starting to work with some "side" saves as well.

This might also be why I jump around to community lots and worlds casually. I do remember that I had a smoking and melting laptop during TS3. Earlier in TS4, I had a gaming laptop that really lasted for 5-6 years before it was toast.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    kiwi84 wrote: Β»
    25 seconds to main menu

I play on a desktop I built myself a few years ago, but I upgrade parts every now and then. No cc or mods

That's what I've been doing since 2015(?). This year I almost went with a pre-built just to save time but immediately was reminded why I've been building my own. It was cheaper to upgrade what I already had and better quality.
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    25 seconds to main menu

That's what I've been doing since 2015(?). This year I almost went with a pre-built just to save time but immediately was reminded why I've been building my own. It was cheaper to upgrade what I already had and better quality.

Yes if you are willing to do the work yourself there is definitely money to save :)
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    25 seconds to main menu

Yes if you are willing to do the work yourself there is definitely money to save :)

I think it depends on where you live. Parts aren't always less expensive or easy to come by, especially not if they need to be imported. I just get mine pre-built and with a warranty so that if anything happens someone will come to me quickly and fix it and I don't have to worry about it. I also save time, energy, and effort this way.

But it doesn't take that much power to have a build that will run the Sims 4 decently.
  • Options
    haneul wrote: Β»
    25 seconds to main menu

I think it depends on where you live. Parts aren't always less expensive or easy to come by, especially not if they need to be imported. I just get mine pre-built and with a warranty so that if anything happens someone will come to me quickly and fix it and I don't have to worry about it. I also save time, energy, and effort this way.

But it doesn't take that much power to have a build that will run the Sims 4 decently.

That is a good point, I was thinking more of how it is where I live ( Norway ) and that''s why I have always done it myself :)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I've never timed it, actually, but my new gaming laptop is far quicker than the one that was slowly dying, which sometimes took upwards of ten minutes.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I haven't timed it, but "enough time to pour a glass of juice, not enough time to set up for tea." is probably about right, so between one and two minutes. I have a lot of varieties of tea to choose from...
  • Options
    EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    I timed mine, It came out to One minute and 15 seconds. My mods folder is just under 2GBs. My current save isn't too old though so it may go a bit longer as I stick with the same save file for longer periods of time
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 8
    haneul wrote: Β»
    25 seconds to main menu

For sure depends on the person, their options, and what they are comfortable with. I play other games with much higher specs so my computer is always overpowered for sims.
    Even on sale this past Dec, it was around $1000 more for custom order or pre-built. I didn't need to replace every part. I'm also not a fan of generic motherboards and limited part selections so it made more sense to keep doing it myself.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    My rotational save (40800 KB, all packs).takes about 2 minutes.
    I5 6600K, GTX 1650, 16 GB RAM
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

Here are the final results from this poll on my simblr after one week (longer is not possible there).
    I took both screenshots a few minutes ago.
    On tumblr I had 99 votes and here 82 (from February 3 until now).
    There are far more Simmers on tumblr with more then 20 minutes loading time!
    I guess that's because there are more CC users there.
    From what I learned from this poll, this seems to be the main reason why loading times are so much longer.
    Thank you for participating and sharing your experiences!
    de169bfdf662e5cc8e50c6c851f916670b85131c.pnj

4666e5a77c3b9729aa5f6aceaa1fd864a4d347a2.pnj
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    30 seconds to get to the menu, another 7 seconds from hitting resume to my lot.

I'm on a Mac M1 that I got nearly 4 years ago. The save I'm playing was started in 2019. No CC. Only two small mods- one that nukes the EL sunray effect and one that removes the naked mosaic.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Less than a minute. I have an Nvme drive, and it's fast. On my last computer with a hard drive? Maybe 3 minutes
  • Options
    KuziyaKuziya Posts: 15 Member
    Wow wish my game loaded up that quick lol.

Mine takes a long freaking time like ten minutes I think.

I have a low computer, but still.