Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent: What Are Your Plans?

Comments

• Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    When I am able to get the pack, still plan to get Horses first. My current list to get is Horses, Rent, and Growing Together.
    Back to this pack, when I am able to get it, I plan to download apartments from the Gallery, and move them into empty lots. I also have malls I downloaded that have rooms, that I might make apartments.
    I will either move out my non heir teens to the apartments, or create more Sims to live in my saves. I plan to do a bit of both.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I have a few San Francisco style row houses and trailer parks that I really always envisioned having separate households in them so I'm going to enjoy that option. My 30x30 with 4 trailers is going to be perfect in Moonwood. I have a Child of Father Winter that lives in a wagon caravan I downloaded from the gallery and it has 3 or 4 spaces as well. I place it in the national park area on top of Mt Komorebi so it's always snowing. It'll be nice to have more winter themed characters living there with him without having them in the same household. I think both of the vacation rental lots on the mountain will become residential rentals
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    After watching James Turner run a hotel with the new apartment system, I'm more excited and inspired to play.🤩

I hope he uploads the lot quick because I can't wait to have Malcolm Landgraab run the place. It's such a gorgeous lot James built.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Feels like I have been preparing for this pack for months already! It's also the first (I think) pack that I preordered.

I've been busy looking into my previous notes for the Yacothia region of my (neighboring) Empire of Snorthia. In my save Tomarang is located there. My notes had plenty of history for this place, and a few local families already with connections to my main kingdom. So, I've spent hours on creating their family trees as well as seeing how the 9 lots developed over the years to find out what they content today and who owners are. It sounds very tedious, but it helped me a lot, also because it conncst stuff across my 3 nations and between families.

I also did some unit building in my existing worlds, looking forward to have more residents in hoods where I had few/nobody residing. The central Del Sol Valley hood now got 3 units to start with, and one of the Newcrest hoods will get more populated as well.

I think I might also populate the commercial hoods (Willow Creek, Oasis Springs, and a few more?), had only community lots there in the past, but I see that some community offers will work decently when on the ground floor of a residential rental lot. The main difference is that NPCs will no longer flock to the community part, but for some services that is not really needed - such as a few shops and mini Spa or smaller business - or even a café/bar if there are many renting sims on the lot or my active sim brings a club. Would be super lovely to have small rental units above those community builds!

Right now I'm checking out what of my existing sims might hail from Tomarang. I have a few that should be more connected than others. I'm creating their relatives in CAS to have a few households ready for Tomarang. I will adjust their local looks and traits when I get the pack this week.

Phew ... in a way I wish the release was a few weeks ahead, but at the same time I'm desperate to start doing my adjustments to the new world.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    @simgirl1010 I'm so happy you were able to adjust the lot I built for you in order to make it fit on the smaller lot in Tomarang! ::Happy Dance:: :lol:

I'm going to try to get them all furnished this weekend. 😱

Oh that's awesome! I can't wait to see your beautiful decorations in my humble build. Maybe when my skills improve more I can build another that will be actually awesome. haha

I'm not being self-deprecating, I just realize I'm still a beginner builder. I'm very happy though that you are finding a use for it. :smiley:

@FatTribble23 I've already messed up. 😄 I removed the interior walls because it's harder for me to furnish with predesigned rooms. Then I accidentally put the apartments on the lower level. Which was meant to be the shared space. I was already furnishing the second apartment before I realized.

No problem though. I figure being in the lower level will give the renters easier access to their apartments and the common outdoor space.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited December 2023
    Yikes. I just sat down and calculated out all the Residential Rentals I want to build in my default save file (4 are already built or in progress), and if I include the 5 that come with Tomarang, I'm already at 62 units- and that's without thinking about Newcrest, or building more in Tomarang.

The worlds I do not plan to build a Residential rental in are: Magnolia Prominade (I leave it as a "date night" spot), Windenberg (just couldn't think of where I'd build one), Forgotten Hollow (I mostly ignore the Vampires), Sulani (I use it as a vacation spot most of the time), Evergreen Harbor (the existng Apartments are enough for me by default), Henford on Bagley (didn't feel right), Mt. Komorebi and Tartosa (again, these are vacation spots for me most of the time). I may make residential rentals in these worlds for a specific story in the future, but not in my default save.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Yikes. I just sat down and calculated out all the Residential Rentals I want to build in my default save file (4 are already built or in progress), and if I include the 5 that come with Tomarang, I'm already at 62 units- and that's without thinking about Newcrest, or building more in Tomarang.

I have you beat. I was already at over a hundred--these are things that already exist in my save. Things like mother-in-laws, townhomes, apartment buildings, trailer parks, hostels, boarding houses, etc....I have had to sacrifice quite a bit and there are some things that are going to stay residential, like my apartment building that is full of the "roomies" household. They are meant to interact anyway, so I will just use the door locking system if I decide to play them.

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Wow @DaWaterRat and @jennieeffin. You are ambitious to make so many. I just did the math for my plans and expect to end up between 18 to 20 units on 5 lots in 5 worlds (Glimmerbrook, Moonwood Mill, Oasis Springs, Britechester and Oasis Springs) . And I have only worked on 2 of them so far.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I just calculated, too, and I figured I'll need a system/routine to keep track on those units. I then realized that letting out one unit of your home lot can not be done without also assigning the owner's unit, so to have one rental unit will actually take 2 units, and that is before any "shared" unit is assigned. Guess my sims will mostly let out units on lots where hey do not live, because then I hope their home lot will not take up one of those 99 units. Aaand... maybe only the biggest complexes will have a shared space - the others might use unassigned space instead. Excited to find out how this all will work.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I have you beat. I was already at over a hundred--these are things that already exist in my save. Things like mother-in-laws, townhomes, apartment buildings, trailer parks, hostels, boarding houses, etc....I have had to sacrifice quite a bit and there are some things that are going to stay residential, like my apartment building that is full of the "roomies" household. They are meant to interact anyway, so I will just use the door locking system if I decide to play them.

I have a similar issue. Last I counted I have 81 units like this type existing in my main save. I made few edits to make it fewer units, but I still have the desire to bring this type of living in a few more places.

I have resorted that some must stay roommate / lock door play style.

As for one 64 x 64 lot where I intend to have 7 townhouses, I will have the landlord rent one house to their family. With a family, but they don't pay rent and they are in and out of each others units like close family act with the open revolving door. My family were like that- pure chaos and mayhem at all times. Hate it but true to life.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    @CK213 Beautiful rooms, both of them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I just counted all the rental lots I've prepared, and I'm about half way thru my prep. I already have over 100 units!! I had made 24 in just Oasis Springs. I have to rethink and prioritise better :-( But there are just so many amazing builds in the gallery by other simmers and I really want to have more Sims living in my worlds.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I've been working on all kinds of multi-family dwellings in prep for the pack launching, but now I think I need to go back and do a bit of editing to try and block windows. I doubt many other simmers will be bothered by this, but it's going to really kill my immersion playing one family and seeing the inside of the neighbor's dwelling is completely empty.

I'm sure they have some kind of tech reason why belongings are not visible when you're in an apartment, but it's really frustrating to me. I don't mind not seeing other sims in their homes, but to see in a window and have every room just be completely empty - not even curtains or blinds - is so weird. I really wish it worked like regular residential lots where you can see the furnishings through the windows.

Oh well. Off to build some high fences and place some awnings...
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    @CK213 Beautiful rooms, both of them.
    :) I put Wednesday and Enid in the building just to see them in it.
    I was really tempted to just start playing them without For Rent.
    11-15-23_10-24-16_PM_95y6oUTe3cWpeW8sitb5e6.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Wow @DaWaterRat and @jennieeffin. You are ambitious to make so many. I just did the math for my plans and expect to end up between 18 to 20 units on 5 lots in 5 worlds (Glimmerbrook, Moonwood Mill, Oasis Springs, Britechester and Oasis Springs) . And I have only worked on 2 of them so far.

I would definitely not call it ambitious, but thank you lol. Basically I just download the vast, vast majority of my lots and my favorite builders (Alerion, CatSaar, JessicaPieYT, a handful of others), have always gravitated towards building mixed used buildings and multi-unit housing. That and I just prefer "realistic" game play, where my sims start with little but move up in the world. Even a starter isn't as realistic a situation as a trailer in a trailer park or a shabby apartment.

The need to make these functional has made this pack a non-negotiable purchase for me, though I'm disappointed in the scope of it. But yeah, I'm going to have to reign things in to get under that 99 threshold.
  • Options
    Finished my first two apartment units. Not sure which family will be living here but it doesn't matter. My sims like my aesthetics. :D

ke9uDxZ.png
    W0ZhLvC.png
    3hRo7YZ.png
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    @FatTribble23 I've already messed up. 😄 I removed the interior walls because it's harder for me to furnish with predesigned rooms. Then I accidentally put the apartments on the lower level. Which was meant to be the shared space. I was already furnishing the second apartment before I realized.

No problem though. I figure being in the lower level will give the renters easier access to their apartments and the common outdoor space.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.
    @simgirl1010 I doubt my floorplan was highly desireable anyway LOL. Oh no, I'm so sorry about that! Are you going to create a basement for the shared spaces, or put them on a higher level? I sympathize, though, because I just built the most adorable creole cottage and for once everything went so smoothly. The floorplan fell into place, the landscaping was rocking ... then I took one more look and realized it didn't have a bathroom. I didn't just forget the toilet, I forgot the whole dang bathroom. :tired_face: I almost cried but wound up laughing instead. I'm so glad I noticed before I uploaded it.
    Finished my first two apartment units. Not sure which family will be living here but it doesn't matter. My sims like my aesthetics. :D

ke9uDxZ.png
    W0ZhLvC.png
    3hRo7YZ.png
    They look awesome! The open floor plan will definitely make gameplay easier. :smiley: I personally think it's wonderful that our sims have no choice but to like our aesthetics. :lol:
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    @FatTribble23 thanks! Both apartments are practically identical to small houses I already have in the game.

I'm going to put the shared space on the upper level.
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    In my game, the Straud Mansion in Forgotten Hollow, got a minor update. I turned the two tower rooms an the large upstairs lanai into an apartment and gave the two bedrooms some extra "in room" activities. My vampire sim has already moved into his space in the basement, waiting for his victims... I mean tenants to move in. The Old Penelope lot in Strangerville is now a mobile estates park (trailer park). The Spice district in San Myshuno has two new apartment buildings that blend in with existing buildings on the Old Salt House lot and the Waterside Warble lot. Magnolia Promenade will become and apartment world, I've never played that world, I don't use the premade stores and I am hoping that this new pack breathes some new life into that world. Welp.... that's my plans.
  • Options
    @randy2355 great idea for Forgotten Hollow! Reminds me of Hotel Transylvania. Loved that. I think I saw one on the gallery once too. I would like to have a bed and breakfast in Brindleton Bay. I do want an apartment building in Magnolia Promenade.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I've set up a new save for my 100 babies (only 4 so far that have grown up and moved out) to move into. The first 2 are going into Tomarang. The other 2 have the shipping container lot in Evergreen Harbor, which will pick up a few more containers that can be rented out. And I've placed my usual restaurants, spa, and bowling alley.
  • Options
    CarmineCarmine Posts: 84 Member
    I'm not getting the pack for awhile, but in the meantime I'll be making supernatural boarding houses, and their residents! One for spellcasters in Glimmerbrook, and one for vampires in Forgotten Hollow (sorry mermaids and werewolves). I haven't started on the vamp one, but the spellcaster one is well underway.
    image.png
    Admittedly the building is pretty normal and not very magical looking but eh :P I'm not a great builder so that's an improvement for me!
  • Options
    I am planning to make use of Courtyard Oasis kit- it's one of my favorite, but it didn't match others worlds, too much before. I've used it for pools in Oasis Springs and courtyards, the Alma museum in Selvadorada, and and kitchens and bathrooms here and there were it's warm like Tartosa, but I feel it might really work well in this world and everything in the kit is so beautiful, and there are so many exterior interior tied builds in this world, it's just perfect for in, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm usually very negative and hesitant about the new packs, but I'm actually looking forward to this one. I have a sim created already and I want to have her be a landlord, because I think the gameplay would be more fun for me as the landlord. I do plan to wait to download the game though until I see just how buggy it is, because too many bugs and I'll just pass on it. I'm just wanting to do the landlord and have it be my sim's primary income as well as stirring up some drama in the building. >:)
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!