Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent: What Are Your Plans?

Comments

• Options
    MillerMeteorMillerMeteor Posts: 26 Member
    This add-on comes at a moment when I'm building a motel. But from what I understand, the limit of units allowed on a lot is 6, and my building has more than 10 rooms if I remember correctly. So I'm wondering in which category I'll be able to place it :/ For the moment I put it as a "general" community lot.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,104 Member
    edited November 2023
    I've tried to use the roommate feature before when ever i've tried 'apartments' but when returning to the 'apartment' lot a few sim weeks later, i've found my sim living on his own and all the roommates have vanished or left.

I'm going to re-introduce my grandfather's apartment building like i did in the Sims 2 Apartment Life. One thing i liked about Apartment Life was seeing NPC's move in to the units upstairs and downstairs. I hope this will happen in For Rent.

My sim self will also purchase the house next door to him (the old Bheeda house) and let it out to his daughter Jessica and her new husband Kirk. My sim self is looking for a new challenge now he's almost approaching Elderhood.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    This add-on comes at a moment when I'm building a motel. But from what I understand, the limit of units allowed on a lot is 6, and my building has more than 10 rooms if I remember correctly. So I'm wondering in which category I'll be able to place it :/ For the moment I put it as a "general" community lot.

According to SimGuruNinja, there will be a cheat to allow for more than 6 units. Otherwise, you could remove the furniture from a few of the rooms and stick blinds or curtains over the windows so you can't see that they're empty. (I think any rooms that aren't units will be treated as common areas, so your sims will be wandering in there to sit/sleep/shower/watch TV etc.)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,966 Member
    Our game after we try to add more than 6 units to a rental. :D
    CRzyh8g.png
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,104 Member
    edited November 2023
    CRzyh8g.png

There's 9 units in my grandfathers apartment block. I hope the game doesn't break with cheats as i would like all of them to be functional.

Maybe if people are struggling with 6 units per lot the dev's might re-assess this number and give us more per lot in an update.

I'm guessing unoccupied units will get filled with NPCs?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited November 2023
    CRzyh8g.png

I am concerned about that with just 6 units because I plan to apply For Rent to my Hogwarts Castle lot.
    12-22-21_5-25-50_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Up until now I was playing around with trying to make a castle with only 8 sims feel like a living school, using every trick in the book with Clubs, groups, and handing out keys to the lot.

Now I suddenly find I can divide my castle up into its respective houses of Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw with 8 students each. And I can have a section for Dumbledore and the professors and even a section for Filch and Mrs. Norris. I am going to have experiment with game play all over again because this completely changes the scenario. I am going from 8 sims to 30 sims.

Well I can start by making that 7 Students with 1 professor that presides over the house.
    I can use Parenthood to make them responsible for the students of their house.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I wanted to wait for the new pack but I couldn't help myself. I already started with the shell for some townhouses. I know there is a chance I have to start editing these builds when we get more info on the exact requirements for the new pack. But waiting for an entire month before building is just too long.

The awkward 20x40 lot in San Sequoia is getting 4 row houses. The exterior is coming together, now I still have to do some interiors.
    WGGz8MQ.png

Glimmerbrook will finally be able to house a few additional households without having to sacrifice community lots.
    This is a build I did a few years ago for Glimmerbrook. It is 3 shops and a bar on the lot that has the default bar. I think this lot could be easily used for a multi family lot but I am not quite ready to give up this retail lot. But it shows how a lot with several buildings can work in Glimmerbrook..
    KMkuUVt.png

I started to prepare the other 30x20 in Glimmerbrook lot for housing. This is the first draft for the new housing in Glimmerbrook.
    fa3CVdP.png

@Atreya33 I love your builds! Do you share them on the Gallery? The second one especially is so beautiful, I'd love to put it in my Henford or one of my magical areas. I'm a terrible builder myself, lol. I know that some people like to keep their builds to themselves, so I thought I'd ask. I'm always searching the Gallery for builds to put into my game, there are so many talented Simmers out there!

I have uploaded the second build to the gallery. It is a retail lot, not a lot for apartments. I do think this exterior would be suitable for housing as well. My other builds are still work in progress but I will add them to the gallery over the next few weeks.

Magic Shops by Atreya
    eBYUh5m.png
    nVVa4pI.png
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I enjoy having my own sims in apartments now. They get to meet each other and form relationships so I often use my own as neighbors, whether in any communities or the apartments in San Myshuno. I just evict those living there and move in my sims when I am starting a game. Sometimes I play them, sometimes I don't, but I love seeing them interacting with the sims I do play. I am sure we will be able to continue to manage all the sims with the new apartments system in For Rent, as far as who moves in and who moves out. They shouldn't move out on their own unless Neighborhood Stories is on.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    I also can't wait to check how it will work with community-ish unit on ground floor, and rentable units further up in the building. I have many shops in my game that are not tagged as retail, and with a few cc items visitors can actually purchase a few items anyway, and without someone running the "store". But in addition to say a grocery store, ground floor could be offices, gym, library orwhatever. If sims not living on that lot visits, I assume they will be able to roam the unit they visit but also the common unit (ground floor). So, a visiting sim would actually never have to go upstairs at all, but just do the shopping needed and leave. And - it will be nice for families living on the lot to walk downstairs to use a community feature, even if it might be a bit limited as it won't be tagged as such.

So, my planning will not only include rentable units for living. Quite excited for all the new possibilities we'll get! :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,027 Member
    t3pskwO.png
    Trying to figure out the window situation. Nothing is really working. But I know the right windows can pull everything together.
    gwb4jMf.png
    t3pskwO.png
    I built it on Vanessa Jeon's lot because it's right next to a park.

There are six units, and they are all 2-3 beds, 1 bath. with a sizeable balcony overlooking the park. The backyard will have a garden. The first floor has a gym, a rec room, a laundry room, and an indoor pool.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,424 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    t3pskwO.png
    Trying to figure out the window situation. Nothing is really working. But I know the right windows can pull everything together.
    gwb4jMf.png
    t3pskwO.png

There are six units, and they are all 2-3 beds, 1 bath. with a sizeable balcony overlooking the park. The backyard will have a garden. The first floor has a gym, a rec room, a laundry room, and an indoor pool.

I think with the glass balconies some modern looking widows would look good.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,027 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    t3pskwO.png
    gwb4jMf.png
    t3pskwO.png

Right? I considered that too. But so many modern windows are too big or don't fit. I might have to make the walls a bigger height, or see if any kits have the windows I'm looking for
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,468 Member
    I wanted to wait for the new pack but I couldn't help myself. I already started with the shell for some townhouses. I know there is a chance I have to start editing these builds when we get more info on the exact requirements for the new pack. But waiting for an entire month before building is just too long.

The awkward 20x40 lot in San Sequoia is getting 4 row houses. The exterior is coming together, now I still have to do some interiors.
    WGGz8MQ.png

Glimmerbrook will finally be able to house a few additional households without having to sacrifice community lots.
    This is a build I did a few years ago for Glimmerbrook. It is 3 shops and a bar on the lot that has the default bar. I think this lot could be easily used for a multi family lot but I am not quite ready to give up this retail lot. But it shows how a lot with several buildings can work in Glimmerbrook..
    KMkuUVt.png

I started to prepare the other 30x20 in Glimmerbrook lot for housing. This is the first draft for the new housing in Glimmerbrook.
    fa3CVdP.png

@Atreya33 I love your builds! Do you share them on the Gallery? The second one especially is so beautiful, I'd love to put it in my Henford or one of my magical areas. I'm a terrible builder myself, lol. I know that some people like to keep their builds to themselves, so I thought I'd ask. I'm always searching the Gallery for builds to put into my game, there are so many talented Simmers out there!

I have uploaded the second build to the gallery. It is a retail lot, not a lot for apartments. I do think this exterior would be suitable for housing as well. My other builds are still work in progress but I will add them to the gallery over the next few weeks.

Magic Shops by Atreya
    eBYUh5m.png
    nVVa4pI.png

@Atreya33 Lovely, thank you for sharing! Is your Gallery name the same as your forum name?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member

WGGz8MQ.png

KMkuUVt.png

fa3CVdP.png

Magic Shops by Atreya
    eBYUh5m.png
    nVVa4pI.png

@Atreya33 Lovely, thank you for sharing! Is your Gallery name the same as your forum name?

Yes, it's the same. It was still available on both platforms so why make things complicated. ;)
  • Options
    MillerMeteorMillerMeteor Posts: 26 Member
    Do you know if we'll be able to define a private garden for each units ?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,424 Member
    Do you know if we'll be able to define a private garden for each units ?

Probably yes if they are on the ground floor so that you can include parts of the garden as well.
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    t3pskwO.png
    gwb4jMf.png
    t3pskwO.png

Right? I considered that too. But so many modern windows are too big or don't fit. I might have to make the walls a bigger height, or see if any kits have the windows I'm looking for

What about the plain window that came with Snowy Escape, It is just a plain square and it comes in white, you can place it halfway up a wall. I really like your units. :)
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Does anyone know if the residences have to be connected to be considered a multipurpose lot? I would love to build a trailer park in Oasis Springs or Strangerville.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the residences have to be connected to be considered a multipurpose lot? I would love to build a trailer park in Oasis Springs or Strangerville.

We had a little mini trailer on X a few days ago that showed, among other things, two not connected terrace houses, and they counted as separate units in the same multipurpose lots. So I assume (and hope) it is possible to have a trailer park as well.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    One plan was to move a multi-gen family into a duplex, so I noted they could share community space for a laundry room, gym area, or pool and even perhaps kitchen, living areas with their own bed/bath areas. Also could give the YA son no rent/low rent to start him off since the parents are rich. They would live with their teen daughter. Though it seems like each of the two living in separate units would be individual games with a lot of interaction whenever either were played.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    edited November 2023
    Re assigning garden unit or separated units. It looks like all it takes to define any unite is that it is an enclosed room. The garden plot must be a connected room, either enclossed by hedges or fences, or perhaps the room status remains even if walls are deleted. As we will define a unit by clicking on the ground (like we do to adjust room size or wall height), it should be possible to involve a garden, although I assume it might need to be connected as a room with a door leading from their residential area to their garden. I'm not so sure that a garden "accross the path" can be connected to your unit, unless you also include an "invisible" room that includes a bit of that path way. On the other hand - I think it's possible to form a vertical unit, which would involve connected units on different stories, so if we can o that, we might be able to connect sections not sharing a wall, too. Guess time will tell...

I'm just assuming, so don't take my guesses for solid fish ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Lixy_170Lixy_170 Posts: 94 Member

[/quote] I adore this! Is it by chance in the gallery for download? [/quote]

@bluzkat65 Yes it is in The Gallery! 👍 I build it a while ago, so I haven't used it in a long time, I assume it works perfectly! Enjoy it then!
    My gallery ID: Lixy_170

• Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,784 Member
    edited November 2023
    After watching the trailer, I can't wait to get the pack and start building my luxury townhouses. These luxury 4 bedroom townhouses will provide ample room for families.

I really want the area to be teeming with Sims and activities.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    Jess_KimbaJess_Kimba Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2023
    So many amazing ideas here! I’m hoping for the gallery to be saturated with builds from people who are more talented than me. I'm also super excited to play in the premade builds - saying that for the first time ever. The builds look brilliant, and remind me of Singapore. I'm looking forward to those!

In the meantime, I built a community on the San Myshuno garden 64 x 64 lot (got a mod to change it to residential). It has four small homes, a community garden, bbq area, small park, grocery stall, and a three level apartment block with two more apartments, a gym and a rooftop pool/bar area. I’m so excited to finally play with multiple families on one lot! Using the roommate system just wasn’t quite enough.

I also want to build a haunted Victorian apartment building and fill it with witches, vampires, werewolves and human Sims. I’ll see if I can create a club for them all to learn to be Paranormal Investigators to handle their spooky home.
    Post edited by Jess_Kimba on
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,139 Member
    I'm already moving my Futuristic Dome Bunker onto a bigger lot & going to try to make the rooms small apartment domes. Also, I've an idea to making a two or three more underground floors (basements) for an indoor amusement park & markets, greenhouse & farm, considering that the people need to live in the dome bunker for life. :p