Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I was initially excited by this pack. I have been dying to make my own rental homes. But, the more I learn about this pack, the more disappointed I become.
    I mean, only 9 lots in a world? That's less than any other expansion pack, and some game packs have more lots than that. The lots don't even look very big. There's no new careers. The animal sanctuary is a rabbit hole. No elevators, no spiral stairs. So, it's just rental lots and landlords, really??
    I do appreciate the new traits and aspirations, but there doesn't seem to be much in this pack at all. It just feels like they stretched out one feature and didn't put anything else in this pack.
    I am very disappointed so far. I'll watch the livestream to confirm if there's any other features. I'm not 100% sure whether I'll buy this or not.

Where did you hear the "9 lots per world" bit?
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    But it's not just a normal lot. It's a lot that sits on top of a skyscraper shell building, which is all a 'penthouse' is too. Penthouses are just residential lots and can be changed to any type of lot with no restrictions (until now). The Skye Fitness lot works the same way, there are no restrictions on what type you lot you want to build there (until now).

Skye Fitness is a lot that's on the "ground" - or what they're using as ground up in that district. The Stargazer Lounge in the same neighborhood is at the top of a shell building and will have the restrictions on rentals, but the gym shouldn't.

Interesting.... so Skye Fitness is technically a "ground" lot even though it's sitting up high? If true, then that's awesome. That means we can still at least build one apartment 'skyscraper' in San Myshuno that will give us all the awesome skyhigh city views.

Yay!

@AncientMuse Skye Fitness you can walk right into from the sidewalk. Stargazer Lounge is an elevator ride away from the sidewalk. I think that's the difference.
    FWIW, the tower-style student housing lots in Britechester are both penthouses in the same way. You access them by an elevator, and they can be changed to any lot type. (Except residential rental I guess?)
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    I was initially excited by this pack. I have been dying to make my own rental homes. But, the more I learn about this pack, the more disappointed I become.
    I mean, only 9 lots in a world? That's less than any other expansion pack, and some game packs have more lots than that. The lots don't even look very big. There's no new careers. The animal sanctuary is a rabbit hole. No elevators, no spiral stairs. So, it's just rental lots and landlords, really??
    I do appreciate the new traits and aspirations, but there doesn't seem to be much in this pack at all. It just feels like they stretched out one feature and didn't put anything else in this pack.
    I am very disappointed so far. I'll watch the livestream to confirm if there's any other features. I'm not 100% sure whether I'll buy this or not.

Where did you hear the "9 lots per world" bit?

I think they are just saying the fact that Tomarang has 9 lots.
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    I don't understand the talk about basements? Do the landlord/tenant units require a basement? For what? I thought we could play only the tenant, without bothering about the landlord's activities...

I'm almost sure that the gurus said you can place the maintenance items in a unit instead of a shared space and it will only affect that unit. I don't remember them saying they have to be in basement units, or any sort of basement.

It was stemming from a possible reason why certain lots cannot use the venue type. Both have the 'no basement' restriction, but it's good to know that the maintenance objects don't require basements (I don't have an account for the platforms the Gurus use). It's still a question as to why those two venues cannot be residental rentals with the only other possible reason is that penthouses have a different way of entering the lot, but I am not aware on whether or not if houses on stilts have a different entry method since I don't own the pack.

It's all speculation.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited December 2023

I wanted to buy this pack to have something to play over the holidays, and I still might do. But it's difficult to not feel that we are not really getting a lot of money's worth here compared to what we used to get in the past.

Game developers often try to add features so users won't end up feeling like that, but I am not seeing anything of that here, unless you are counting rabbit holes, which I don't. Maybe we will see something in the livestream?
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I hope they might listen to feedback and patch some more functionality into the pack. I think functional boats for example wouldn't be that hard for them to add. Personally, I'm someone who would love the botanical garden and animal sanctuary but obviously I'd want to be able to really interact with them. I agree that 9 lots is a small amount and they could have at least added a few more.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 56 Member
    > @bixters said:
    > I was initially excited by this pack. I have been dying to make my own rental homes. But, the more I learn about this pack, the more disappointed I become.
    > I mean, only 9 lots in a world? That's less than any other expansion pack, and some game packs have more lots than that. The lots don't even look very big. There's no new careers. The animal sanctuary is a rabbit hole. No elevators, no spiral stairs. So, it's just rental lots and landlords, really??
    > I do appreciate the new traits and aspirations, but there doesn't seem to be much in this pack at all. It just feels like they stretched out one feature and didn't put anything else in this pack.
    > I am very disappointed so far. I'll watch the livestream to confirm if there's any other features. I'm not 100% sure whether I'll buy this or not.

Well people will buy it anyway so no incentive for them to not do it. EA made like 1.8 billion dollars worth of revenue in 2023 (they released the invester end of year details) and 78% of that is from live services and other store stuff. They don't have any reason to be nice to anyone.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,609 Member
    I hope they might listen to feedback and patch some more functionality into the pack. I think functional boats for example wouldn't be that hard for them to add. Personally, I'm someone who would love the botanical garden and animal sanctuary but obviously I'd want to be able to really interact with them. I agree that 9 lots is a small amount and they could have at least added a few more.

yes I was praying that for the horse ranch equestrian center but it seems we are experiencing inflation through this game's development. It is like they are trying to wrap this game up, and not look bad at the unfair break up. I mean this world is the smallest of all eps and the lots are even smaller which is a huge flipped bird to us, if we are not reading in between the lines. We need bigger lots to build on and they know that. not going to stop you or anyone invested in this game to stop buying the packs.
    I am sure the executive decision comes from the business department, quality cost and they want to make more money instead bringing this expansion pack to the amount of product we should receive for an ep.

I bet they plan to wrap up sims 4 by the end of 2024, where they will be competing with a lot more life simulation games, and all their attention and resources will be on Sims 5- or project Rene.

This is measuring out to be a very good game pack but not ep.

Fully functioning Animal Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens would have made it a good ep. Mix purpose lots would have made it a great ep.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    Looking at a picture of how detailed the boats on the docks are. It’s like they’re toying with us. The Sims team love to re-skin and regurgitate the same thing over and over again. When we’re actually asking for it, they won’t. Give us new boats already.

There has been way too many packs where it makes sense to have new boats. I’m not sure why they haven’t made it a feature yet.
  • Options
    While it just occurred to me, the pack is not all what it should be, but it was the leaks, and the ai rumor leaks, that have provided us so much disappointment. The discuss the botanical gardens and animal sanctuary as actual features when the official team did not really use it as a selling point.

I think the biggest let down is the wild life pack petting zoo, and the sim on the motorcycle that really makes us discontent that all we get is death by mold as additional gameplay features.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    While it just occurred to me, the pack is not all what it should be, but it was the leaks, and the ai rumor leaks, that have provided us so much disappointment. The discuss the botanical gardens and animal sanctuary as actual features when the official team did not really use it as a selling point.

I think the biggest let down is the wild life pack petting zoo, and the sim on the motorcycle that really makes us discontent that all we get is death by mold as additional gameplay features.

The ai was fake thpugh.That was not the team's fault
    The only think they should not done is market rabbit hole features
  • Options
    edited December 2023

the official sims team did not market the animal sanctuary and botanical gardens as major features, but the leaked gamer stores did. The ai wildlife pack is like an animal sanctuary and I feel was an insider designed to sabotage or aid this pack.
    Post edited by LeucosiaX on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

the official sims team did not market the animal sanctuary and botanical gardens as major features, but the leaked gamer stores did. The ai wildlife pack is like an animal sanctuary and I feel was an insider designed to sabotage or aid this pack.

They did market them as gamepack features though.
    When your Sim needs a break from the hustle and bustle of a big city, they can relax in the green haven of the botanical gardens, visit an animal sanctuary or leave Incense or Fruit offerings at the Spirit House, while child Sims can play Hopscotch and Marbles in the park.
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/for-rent-expansion-pack

How does one visit an animal sanctuary if it's a rabbit hole? And they can relax in the botanical gardens which at this point is just a fancy name for a park and that's certainly not a new activity as we've had parks since basegame.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

When your Sim needs a break from the hustle and bustle of a big city, they can relax in the green haven of the botanical gardens, visit an animal sanctuary or leave Incense or Fruit offerings at the Spirit House, while child Sims can play Hopscotch and Marbles in the park.

How does one visit an animal sanctuary if it's a rabbit hole? And they can relax in the botanical gardens which at this point is just a fancy name for a park and that's certainly not a new activity as we've had parks since basegame.

Yaj,Ea really should stop promoting rabbit hole features.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

oh(!)
    the really ought to refresh all the packs the skimped us on like these features and the equestrian center from horse ranch.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    This may be my first time posting on a negative thread. I’m so sick of the worlds we are getting. We don’t have to have a new world with every expansion if that would allow for more lots and less set dressing. The useable space in these worlds is a joke.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    The walk through is ... underwhelming for an expansion pack.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    The live stream that was pre recorded with no subtittles on utube, says everything about the effort put into this ep. I was actually excited for the ep now I'm disappointed and not expecting anything different in the game play.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Saying they wanted to give us a lot of opportunities to build in this world feels like a slap in the face.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Oh dear....

The botanical garden that isn't. :|
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited December 2023
    Yeah... uh.

I think the build/buy was the strongest part in the livestream. Which again makes so few lots in the world feel wrong. That was a really small botanical garden...

The gameplay is... not really for me. Going to rabbit holes and get text messages, break into sims houses and get randomly generated secrets... And there was not much to being a landlord either from what I could see.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Either the expansion pack is kind of empty, or they just did a terrible job at showing things off in the livestream. I'm sort of surprised we spent so much time showing off the night market and the tiger sanctuary - which are just a clone of existing food stalls and a rabbithole, respectively - and not that much time showing off the rental system. How are fines imposed and collected? Can tenants ask for extensions on paying rent? How does a fair eviction play out? What's any of the gameplay like when you're playing as a tenant rather than as the landlord?
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    This may be my first time posting on a negative thread. I’m so sick of the worlds we are getting. We don’t have to have a new world with every expansion if that would allow for more lots and less set dressing. The useable space in these worlds is a joke.

Unfortunately, I think that even if we start getting packs without worlds, the remaining packs that do have worlds are likely to still have small worlds.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I've decided I really do want this residential rental system for my overall game, so I'll buy the pack whenever I'm reasonably sure it's not too buggy. I might not wait for a sale, but between the tiny handful of tiny lots, all the rabbit holes and the underwhelming night market, the world feels disappointingly small. And I hate to say it, but it feels content light. Maybe when we get to see some more gameplay videos, it'll feel like there's more too it, but just after that (prerecorded :s ) livestream, I'm not sure it's really worth full price... except for the fact that, as someone who loves to build, I really want this new lot type.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Well, brace yourselves, guys. They have "tuned Sims' autonomy" to be drawn to exercise equipment, grills, laundry, and possibly anything else in the rental common areas so that when you're playing a household, other Sims will come out of their units. So we're going to see a huge shift in object obsession everywhere. This is the kind of thing that people have complained a lot about in the past and had to be tweaked to tone down. Why in the world are they tuning the whole game just so their rentals work as intended? For me, this means I'll probably have to avoid placing any of those things down in community areas because object obsession drives me absolutely nuts. I want Sims to interact with each other, not avoid each other for the same phones and objects over and over. Of course, now I'll be dealing with it in single family households. I really hope some modders are ready to tweak this.

Now I have to go check out some youtube videos to see how the game actually plays, since the embargo is lifted.
    #Team Occult