Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I literally just did the math and I am already past 99 exiting "multi-housing" units of various kinds that I've just been playing as standard residential with door locking or using the roommate system. So I will have to whittle things way down.
    Not necessarily, you can pick and choose some of those lots to be rental residential lots and others to continue functioning with the door locking system.

For my part, I'm bitterly disappointed that we won't be able to load multiple apartments at the same time, like we did in Sims 2: Apartment Life. I won't be buying this one. I already own City Living, which comes with a wide array of apartments, as well as neighborhood amenities. Why would I buy another pack that comes with nothing but more apartments and apartment amenities?
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Like seriously, couldn't they make this limit scalable?

I guess this is one thing I have to get a mod for...

I'm turning to a mod. No way I'm going to have my creativity limited that much!
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    You know I was thinking theres no way I am going to build 99 units so no worry
    but then again that being divided by 22 worlds is just about 4 units per world so... :sweat_smile:
    sounds like I have to start doing some math and thinking which worlds to exclude :joy:

I started doing the math, and with the lots i've already placed in my save, and without the Tomarang units, I'm already at 76....so I better stop adding more rental residential lots :D

I literally just did the math and I am already past 99 exiting "multi-housing" units of various kinds that I've just been playing as standard residential with door locking or using the roommate system. So I will have to whittle things way down.

I have already devised the same back up plan depending on how made multi-family residence rentals come with the new world. I also am working on a lot with 7 houses and no intention on using the cheat. I will just have two families with the conventional system occupying two townhouses on that lot.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Once more I get to be upsetti spaghetti

Why on earth can't residential rentals work on penthouse lots when other lot types work?
    and why oh why do we keep having rabbit holes instead of actual activities for our sims *deep sigh*
    what is the point of going to animal sanctuary without any animals to see or interact with?

also why add tuk tuks if we can't even use them thats just so sad

Upsetti spaghetti made me laugh. :disappointed: unfortunately I can sympathise. I feel the same about penthouses.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I dislike the rabbit hole text adventures. If this has to be a rabbit hole then I prefer one without text messages. At least then we will have the benefit of being able to focus on other family members without interruptions. I also don't think the sanctuary should have been mentioned as a feature in the first blog post. A few text messages to read is not a main gameplay feature.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am also disappointed by the Q&A. Why do they not allow residential rentals on penthouses. These penthouses were our best option to build apartments on high buildings and now we are not allowed to do so? This restriction makes no sense. Penthouses can support different kinds of residential (regular residentials, tiny homes, haunted houses and dorms) and owned lots like restaurants and retail. Why not the new apartments? I really don't like that they gave the impression that we could build everywhere when in reality we can't. I know we can build on the regular lot next to the sky scrapers but that's just not the same.

About the 99 per save : would have been nice to know a bit sooner. But I never planned on having units everywhere so no big deal for me.

Let's recap all the info gathered this week: no penthouses, tiny world with small lots, animal sanctuary... Not sure if this is worth 40€. I am reconsidering buying in December and wait for a sale after all.

At least maintenence trouble and mold are optional.

To be fair it might be how it was program.

Perhaps. But what exactly is the penthout gameplay that can't be combined with rental units? Whatever it is, it is obviously no objection for dorms, tiny houses, haunted houses, restaurants, retail,... on penthouses. Allowing rental units on a penthouse would have been a great example of cross pack compatibility, best of both worlds packs. But looks like that's not gonna happen.

Again the penthouses can be build,but it still a part of shell

Penthouses are not part of a shell, they are lots on top of a shell. You require an elevator but for the rest we had all the freedom to build there whatever lot we wanted. Until now. The Q&A was vague about the exact obstacle for apartments on penthouses. The only unique gameplay I can think of is having to teleport up with the elevator.
    They really should of told us those Q&A before saying "build away!" :'(

I am fine with small lots.. I am "fine-ish" with just 9 lots in new world.. but now.. penthouses were what I planned. I am just ranting out loud.. I'll get over it, but ugh... :(

I totally agree. The' build away ' should have come with the warning that penthouses are useless for the new pack.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Am I sooper dooper happy we're finally getting multi-family build options? Yes, yes I most certainly am.

BUT:

No waterfront builds means my idea for Sulani beachfront condo rental units over the water (all connected by docks) is completely scrapped. For those of us who love water and spend most of our gameplay time in and around water features (swimming, fishing, using Sulani boats and jetskis, beaches and beachcombing, jumping off of the docks, splashing in ponds, etc) this is a huge disappointment.

And no skyscraper penthouse apartment rentals either.... I had plans to scrap that skyhigh gym my sims never use and replace it with luxury apartment rentals with all the amazing balcony views my sims could have had.

:/ *sigh*

- the new world is only 9 buildable lots within 2 neighbourhoods
    - no boats or tuk tuk/rickshaws
    - no access to all that water except for a small, unbuildable swimming spot and maybe a few fishing spots
    - no island lots and no way of getting to any of those islands
    - a rabbithole animal sanctuary with no hope of any visual gameplay related to it
    - no multi-unit vacation rental properties in the vacation worlds

And then to put the icing on the cake.... a max limit of 99 units per game save. That may seem like a lot to some people, but as we get more and more worlds added to this game, that limit is going to become more and more suffocating. Duplexes, townhouses, rowhouses, trailer parks, room rentals, boarding houses, apartment buildings, co-living communities, seniors' retirement communities..... each individual rental unit counts as 1. It won't take long to max out that 99 limit in a game save. Not long at all.

99 units (save maximum) divided by 6 units (lot maximum) = roughly 16 lots for us to build rental units on (if we use the full 6 units per lot).

So far, we have 24 worlds (soon to be 25), for a total of around 282 buildable lots (soon to be 301 buildable lots). So the majority of our builds are still going to have to be single-family homes per lot.

My plan was to build many duplexes, rowhouses, and/or apartments in each world to give my simmies more living space options and price ranges. I'm going to have to rethink that plan....

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm a little disappointed penthouses will not be able to make use of Residental Rental. I understand it might be due to how it was designed and how penthouses have different (maybe, conflicting) requirements too, but it would have been nice to know what specific lot type could not be used beforehand.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I am not too fussed about the 99 unit per save limit. I don't have that many sims and I usually build new lots when I need them. I will wait to see how they behave during gameplay and if they work great I might build some more apartment type lots in the future. Maybe they could have implemented a double cap, either 99 units fully occupied or more units if occupancy is low like 2-3 sims each and then implement a second cap on total number of sims in units. Anyway, for people who think 99 units is too low, maybe they could assign the units only when they actually want to move sims in, otherwise they could just leave them as unfurnished shared space.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    The not being able to build in penthouses was the one thing that bothered me, but I believe someone else mentioned that you can't build basements in penthouses like you can in a normal residential. Maybe that has something to do with it? Not that I think that should have excluded them, it would have been possible to work around that feature if you wanted to.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    but then again that being divided by 22 worlds is just about 4 units per world so... :sweat_smile:
    sounds like I have to start doing some math and thinking which worlds to exclude :joy:

I started doing the math, and with the lots i've already placed in my save, and without the Tomarang units, I'm already at 76....so I better stop adding more rental residential lots :D

I have already devised the same back up plan depending on how made multi-family residence rentals come with the new world. I also am working on a lot with 7 houses and no intention on using the cheat. I will just have two families with the conventional system occupying two townhouses on that lot.

After an initial flush of panic I've come up with another possible solution--depending on how flexible the assignment system is. For example, I have a trailer park with three trailers. One of them typically belongs to Johnny Zest and the other two to a group of friends. Rather than creating three units I think I'll do two--there will still be some door locking and bed assignments but at least the group that are friends and known each other will be coming in and out which makes more sense. I have other examples of this. But yeah, definitely my biggest negative right now. It's odd to ding people like myself who have every single world to impose this limitation but I guess from a performance standpoint it makes some sense.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    And no skyscraper penthouse apartment rentals either.... I had plans to scrap that skyhigh gym my sims never use and replace it with luxury apartment rentals with all the amazing balcony views my sims could have had.

Do you mean Skye Fitness? Are you sure it counts as a penthouse lot? I've never thought of it that way. Hm...

I was on the fence at first, but I'm coming down on the side of "I hate this too." Also the fact that most of the lots are so small. How are we supposed to include a decent amount of outdoor communal space on those tiny lots? I have a feeling that most of my residential rentals are going to be in worlds other than Tomarang, ironically.

Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

After an initial flush of panic I've come up with another possible solution--depending on how flexible the assignment system is. For example, I have a trailer park with three trailers. One of them typically belongs to Johnny Zest and the other two to a group of friends. Rather than creating three units I think I'll do two--there will still be some door locking and bed assignments but at least the group that are friends and known each other will be coming in and out which makes more sense. I have other examples of this. But yeah, definitely my biggest negative right now. It's odd to ding people like myself who have every single world to impose this limitation but I guess from a performance standpoint it makes some sense.

I'm hoping a modder changes the 99 limit, but I think this is a great compromise if it isn't possible. For the households I don't plan on playing, I'll make their living area one big place and then only use the rental system for the ones I do plan on playing.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »

Do you mean Skye Fitness? Are you sure it counts as a penthouse lot? I've never thought of it that way. Hm...

Isn't that just normal lot. Just like karaokebars and the factory-residential.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2023
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    The not being able to build in penthouses was the one thing that bothered me, but I believe someone else mentioned that you can't build basements in penthouses like you can in a normal residential. Maybe that has something to do with it? Not that I think that should have excluded them, it would have been possible to work around that feature if you wanted to.

I did think of this too. It makes me wonder if the new water heater (and among other things, but I'm drawing a blank here) being required to be put in a basement and not anywhere else is a possible reason why these specific lots cannot be Residental Rentals.
  • Options

I was on the fence at first, but I'm coming down on the side of "I hate this too." Also the fact that most of the lots are so small. How are we supposed to include a decent amount of outdoor communal space on those tiny lots? I have a feeling that most of my residential rentals are going to be in worlds other than Tomarang, ironically.

Well, Skye Fitness isn't a true penthouse per se, but it's a buildable lot that sits high up on a skyskraper shell building, so I assume it will have the same restrictions as the residential penthouse lots?

At this point, I'm just going to stop trying to build anything for the new pack until I get my hands on it and can see first hand what I can and can't do with rental units for each of the different lot types and locations.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options

Yeah, I think it's a normal lot. We should be able to build residential rentals there. (Which is a fabulous idea and now I'm thinking of what mine should look like.)
  • Options

Yeah, I think it's a normal lot. We should be able to build residential rentals there. (Which is a fabulous idea and now I'm thinking of what mine should look like.)

But it's not just a normal lot. It's a lot that sits on top of a skyscraper shell building, which is all a 'penthouse' is too. Penthouses are just residential lots and can be changed to any type of lot with no restrictions (until now). The Skye Fitness lot works the same way, there are no restrictions on what type you lot you want to build there (until now).

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I was wondering the same. You can’t build a basement on penthouses or lots on stilts over the water. Maybe that’s why rental residentials won’t work ?

As for vacation worlds, it makes sense as you can’t live there anyway.
    Sara1010P wrote: »

I did think of this too. It makes me wonder if the new water heater (and among other things, but I'm drawing a blank here) being required to be put in a basement and not anywhere else is a possible reason why these specific lots cannot be Residental Rentals.

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    But it's not just a normal lot. It's a lot that sits on top of a skyscraper shell building, which is all a 'penthouse' is too. Penthouses are just residential lots and can be changed to any type of lot with no restrictions (until now). The Skye Fitness lot works the same way, there are no restrictions on what type you lot you want to build there (until now).

Skye Fitness is a lot that's on the "ground" - or what they're using as ground up in that district. The Stargazer Lounge in the same neighborhood is at the top of a shell building and will have the restrictions on rentals, but the gym shouldn't.

• Options
    bizuktag wrote: »

Skye Fitness is a lot that's on the "ground" - or what they're using as ground up in that district. The Stargazer Lounge in the same neighborhood is at the top of a shell building and will have the restrictions on rentals, but the gym shouldn't.

And you don't need an elevator to access Skye Fitness. So it can't be a penthouse.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member

I have this as back up too. I had shotgun row houses, I literally dropped parents who's kids moved out only to have them some place to visit, rather my household library. [Sometimes the game delete sims in the household library]. It is difficult to play homes like that. They are always coming over and eating my breakfast and trying to use my bathroom or computer. Have to lock everything and even doors you forgot about in the back. It's find if you just visit, but not great to play those house for immersion.
    At the moment, the majority of all the mult-family residences I have, 81, are this way, and they are just place holders, and unplayed families.
  • Options
    bizuktag wrote: »

Interesting.... so Skye Fitness is technically a "ground" lot even though it's sitting up high? If true, then that's awesome. That means we can still at least build one apartment 'skyscraper' in San Myshuno that will give us all the awesome skyhigh city views.

Yay!

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I don't understand the talk about basements? Do the landlord/tenant units require a basement? For what? I thought we could play only the tenant, without bothering about the landlord's activities...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I don't understand the talk about basements? Do the landlord/tenant units require a basement? For what? I thought we could play only the tenant, without bothering about the landlord's activities...

I'm almost sure that the gurus said you can place the maintenance items in a unit instead of a shared space and it will only affect that unit. I don't remember them saying they have to be in basement units, or any sort of basement.

HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I was initially excited by this pack. I have been dying to make my own rental homes. But, the more I learn about this pack, the more disappointed I become.
    I mean, only 9 lots in a world? That's less than any other expansion pack, and some game packs have more lots than that. The lots don't even look very big. There's no new careers. The animal sanctuary is a rabbit hole. No elevators, no spiral stairs. So, it's just rental lots and landlords, really??
    I do appreciate the new traits and aspirations, but there doesn't seem to be much in this pack at all. It just feels like they stretched out one feature and didn't put anything else in this pack.
    I am very disappointed so far. I'll watch the livestream to confirm if there's any other features. I'm not 100% sure whether I'll buy this or not.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited December 2023
    Yeah while I am still excited for the new rental lot feature, it sort of feels like this is a game pack (don't come for me pls it's my opinion!) But this seems to be a trend for the last couple of expansions so, I worry that this is the new precedent they have set for EPs as TS4 ages more. Which imo is EA taking advantage of TS4 community as they know many will still buy the packs even if they offer less but for the same price. TS4 really has disappointed me many times since it's initial release, and no matter how many fixes they do, I don't think I can ever fully regain trust in that they will create content worth the price ever again, thanks to EA and their capitalistic corporate greed.