Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Game Packs Dead?

Comments

• Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    edited September 2023
    They're still alive, I think . . . *Checks for a pulse*
    I can’t imagine that they’d be dead, at least not until fairies are released. Nearly every occult has had their own pack, so either game packs are dead and we’re not getting fairies (unlikely since everyone has been clamoring for them), or there will at least be one more game pack for fairies.

The only way I see fairies not being a game pack, is if they tack them onto a random expansion, like mermaids and aliens, or if they make an expansion with a random assortment of occults, like fairies, zombies, etc.

And also, I just hope they’re not dead. I love game packs because they’re often very direct with what you get and offer a decent amount of gameplay for their price. Honestly, I’d say aside from Wedding Stories, all the game packs have been a success and worth the money.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Eleri wrote: »
    Oh, GPs still exist. They're just called EPs now (Growing Together, Horse Ranch).

@GrumpyGlowfish I don't agree that Growing Together is a GP. I think it's actually one of the most complex EPs we've ever had. I have a pet theory that people who think Growing Together is GP-level never played infants without it and assume that most of the infant-related game play that Growing Together added was part of the base game update. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
    They had to add the infant life stage to base game, because they had promised not to release anymore DLC of DLC. If infants weren't in base game, they couldn't add additional content for them to other DLC. At the same time, base game infants are an extremely shallow feature. They don't develop skills or abilities, there are not many interactions adults can have with them other than attending to their basic needs. Aside from the crib and a few decorative items, there aren't many items specifically for them, although they can use toddler toys.
    Now there's a lot of other content that comes with Growing Together, but if a person mistakenly thinks that most of the infant game play was patched into base game, it'll make that EP seem lighter weight than it really is.

Alright, let me correct you then, even if it will lead me a little bit off topic. I'm only going to speak for myself, of course, everybody else is entitled to their own opinion.

I do in fact play infants without Growing Together because I absolutely refuse to buy that pack until it’s at least 50% off. Not because it’s bad or anything, I'll get to my reasons in a second, but first of all, I think it’s the epitome of rudeness and greed on EA's part to release a feature like infants that is completely useless and, as you said, shallow without paid DLC. I don’t own the Toddler stuff pack either, but I don’t need to because that life stage is fully functional without it. Infants, not so much. Without Growing Together, all the stuff it comes with for them, and especially the milestone system, they're just smaller toddlers who can’t even learn skills.

And that leads me to the reason I don’t want to spend money on this pack. I was actually being generous when I called it a GP pretending to be an EP. In reality, I think many of its features should have come as base game updates. No, I'm not one of those people who want everything for free, but things like a compatibility system, having guests staying over for a while, and probably the only semblance of a memory system we're ever going to get in this game really shouldn’t be hidden behind a paywall. Just like infants, those are things future packs could have expanded on. You might argue that at least it also comes with a new world, but even that world looks like base game Willow Creek 2.0 and offers nothing that you can’t have or do elsewhere.

So in my mind, if I strip Growing Together of all the features that should have been free, what remains? A boring world and a midlife crisis feature. And that thought disappoints and frustrates me so much that I can’t bring myself to buy it, even though I could really use a lot of its content.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd say game packs are alive and well we just sometimes call them expansions now if they toss in wine making. Expansions use to mean a broad theme in which a subject is fleshed out in multiple aspects while game packs meant a smaller dedicated theme like a single occult or a horse.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2023
    I can’t imagine that they’d be dead, at least not until fairies are released. Nearly every occult has had their own pack, so either game packs are dead and we’re not getting fairies (unlikely since everyone has been clamoring for them), or there will at least be one more game pack for fairies.

The only way I see fairies not being a game pack, is if they tack them onto a random expansion, like mermaids and aliens, or if they make an expansion with a random assortment of occults, like fairies, zombies, etc.

And also, I just hope they’re not dead. I love game packs because they’re often very direct with what you get and offer a decent amount of gameplay for their price. Honestly, I’d say aside from Wedding Stories, all the game packs have been a success and worth the money.

The occults have more functions when they're coming from a GP. Vampires, spellcasters and werewolves are coming from GP so they are having their skill tree.
    The occults included in EPs are not having skill trees.
    If fairies is going to include in an EP, I'll cry :'(
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited September 2023
    Game Packs will never die! Stop trying to build your mischief skill with fake bad news.
    Eleri wrote: »
    Oh, GPs still exist. They're just called EPs now (Growing Together, Horse Ranch).

@GrumpyGlowfish I don't agree that Growing Together is a GP. I think it's actually one of the most complex EPs we've ever had. I have a pet theory that people who think Growing Together is GP-level never played infants without it and assume that most of the infant-related game play that Growing Together added was part of the base game update. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
    They had to add the infant life stage to base game, because they had promised not to release anymore DLC of DLC. If infants weren't in base game, they couldn't add additional content for them to other DLC. At the same time, base game infants are an extremely shallow feature. They don't develop skills or abilities, there are not many interactions adults can have with them other than attending to their basic needs. Aside from the crib and a few decorative items, there aren't many items specifically for them, although they can use toddler toys.
    Now there's a lot of other content that comes with Growing Together, but if a person mistakenly thinks that most of the infant game play was patched into base game, it'll make that EP seem lighter weight than it really is. Getting back to the main topic, I'm not, at this point, concerned that proper EPs are going away, I just think they'll alternate them with gamespansion packs, instead of alternating them with Game Packs.
    cyncie wrote: »
    if they’re planning to continue TS4 alongside Renee, GPS and Stuff Packs might actually become more common than EPS because of the development requirements.

@cyncie I can definitely see this happening down the road if they stick with the GP series. On the other hand, if they take GP-level topics, pad them with a few fluff features and release them as an EP, that might reduce the concern about development requirements. Let's take Fairies as example. Suppose we have fairies + a rejiggering of the Romantic Garden wishing well + a ballet skill (cause Sugar Plum Fairy). Voila! An EP!

OK. I am positive GPs will return. BTW Maxis never even implied that SPs were dead, either, so I do not understand this hysteria about no GPs this year at all. I wish I wouldn't need to convince everyone here all the time about this game, it should be Maxis' responsibility. I will ask from a reliable source if the GPs will return as soon as possible, so I may let everyone know here. <3

EDIT: according to my very reliable source, Game Packs are NOT dead. So expect more coming probably in 2024.
  • Options
    Game Packs will never die! Stop trying to build your mischief skill with fake bad news.
    LJK wrote: »
    With the sentiment here, the upcoming roadmap would be a great time to announce a future occult/fantasy based game pack. Bit of a stretch, but here's hoping that Grim Reaper career that appeared in a survey comes to light.
    They already revealed the roadmap for the rest of the year, hopefully Grim Reaper GP is coming early 2024 :)
  • Options
    Can we stop saying horse ranch was game pack? I mean it was not 40.00 dollars,but definatly had more stuff than a game pack.
    Thank you for saying this! Also Growing Together had way more content than a GP, too.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Insufficient data
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Can we stop saying horse ranch was game pack? I mean it was not 40.00 dollars,but definatly had more stuff than a game pack.
    Thank you for saying this! Also Growing Together had way more content than a GP, too.

Yeah there was also a lot of content.I don't think milestones or compabilaty needed to be in base game.
  • Options

Yeah there was also a lot of content.I don't think milestones or compabilaty needed to be in base game.

Yess true! I am just so ready for them to bring on something unexpected (but with a great concept and execution) like Get Together or Eco Lifestyle, well at the same time these realism-focused expansion packs have been decent too, especially Growing Together. But I agree that we should stop calling Horse Ranch a GP, it definitely is an EP, even if it had less than some of the other recent EPs, it did have more content than a GP. I love nectar making a lot <3
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    I think they made horse ranch an expansion pack to give us a big world to ride the horses in, we probably wouldn’t have gotten wine making either if it were a game pack.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Insufficient data
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I think they made horse ranch an expansion pack to give us a big world to ride the horses in, we probably wouldn’t have gotten wine making either if it were a game pack.

We also wouldn't have ranch hands,sheep or goats.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I think gamepacks are around to stay, although we didn't get one this year, I expect we'll get one next year. We'll be taking a break from expansions after getting 3 this year.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    They're on a break
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I think gamepacks are around to stay, although we didn't get one this year, I expect we'll get one next year. We'll be taking a break from expansions after getting 3 this year.

My guess is that as well as having a GP early on next year (first roadmap), we’ll still get an EP as well at some point during the year. That’s based on my theory that the three EPs this year are catching up on a backlog, in which case next year should feel kind of ‘normal’ (so at least one GP, at least one EP, at least one SP and presumably some kits). That’s my hope anyway :)
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited September 2023
    Insufficient data
    LJK wrote: »
    With the sentiment here, the upcoming roadmap would be a great time to announce a future occult/fantasy based game pack. Bit of a stretch, but here's hoping that Grim Reaper career that appeared in a survey comes to light.
    They already revealed the roadmap for the rest of the year, hopefully Grim Reaper GP is coming early 2024 :)

Wait, October-December are not getting any packs?

EDIT: Ah, found it. Surprisingly difficult to find, I had no idea another expansion pack was coming.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    They're mostly dead, but still a little bit alive
    Most EPs feel like bloated game packs let’s be real.. if they can get away with charging more money they gonna do it
  • Options
    ThornwillowThornwillow Posts: 123 Member
    I hope they're taking some time to create a good fairies pack for the next spring.
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    There's still a high demand for Occult content, since 4 been giving us table scraps and as long as there's Occult content to be added, Game Packs will never die.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I think we’ll get another game pack … eventually, lol.
  • Options
    GlamourskyGlamoursky Posts: 12 New Member
    Was this post really necessary? Of course they're not dead.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    They're on a break
    They took a long break from Stuff Packs and we recently got a pretty good one so maybe they're working on a Game Pack. They also probably wanted to see the response to Kits and seems like they were cheaper to make and profitable.

2023 was also the first time we got 3 Expansion Packs in one year so those are my priority lol, would rather have more of that. The long break between packs probably had to do with COVID.
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2023
    Of course they're not dead. The reason why I think we didn't get a GP or two this year is because the team wanted to hype up the long-waited return of SPs by announcing and releasing Home Chef Hustle. Another possible reason (more of a theory) is that maybe we were supposed to get one this year, only for it to be replaced by For Rent at some point and was pushed back to a 2024 release date. I knew something was up when the current roadmap mentioned that a third EP was getting released this year, something that the team never did before until now, and that a GP wasn't mentioned all at, especially since this is the final roadmap of the year. If they do release two GPs next year, one of them is most likely going to be based on fairies (fairies were heavily hinted at in Growing Together alongside horses, the main feature of Horse Ranch) while the other will be of some unknown theme. 😉
    Post edited by MarteziaKing on
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    Dead as a doornail

EA is doing a good job as always listening to us Simmers. If we are happily buying their GP Expansions for 40€/$ instead of 20, they are happy to deliver 🎉
    Just make the world 3 neighborhoods instead of two and: it's an Expansion! It's just like magic ✨
    It doesn't even matter if they look the same, like in San Sequoia.
    Why should they row back to GP if they can make twice the money with selling them as an EP?
    For Rent isn't even a GP, it's apartments from City Living refurbished. But the world is so pretty, so I'll buy it. Even if I'll never use the tennant/landlord gameplay.
    I even would have paid 40€ for My Wedding Stories if they'd added a third neighborhood, even though my Sims never marry ^^'

e2f3c9d83650e090736cf03df74b6950430f5b09.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    They took a long break from Stuff Packs and we recently got a pretty good one so maybe they're working on a Game Pack. They also probably wanted to see the response to Kits and seems like they were cheaper to make and profitable.

2023 was also the first time we got 3 Expansion Packs in one year so those are my priority lol, would rather have more of that. The long break between packs probably had to do with COVID.

The response to Kits had been Negative on both the PC and Console versions of the Sims, I don't think the vast majority likes them.
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    EA is doing a good job as always listening to us Simmers. If we are happily buying their GP Expansions for 40€/$ instead of 20, they are happy to deliver 🎉
    Just make the world 3 neighborhoods instead of two and: it's an Expansion! It's just like magic ✨
    It doesn't even matter if they look the same, like in San Sequoia.
    Why should they row back to GP if they can make twice the money with selling them as an EP?
    For Rent isn't even a GP, it's apartments from City Living refurbished. But the world is so pretty, so I'll buy it. Even if I'll never use the tennant/landlord gameplay.
    I even would have paid 40€ for My Wedding Stories if they'd added a third neighborhood, even though my Sims never marry ^^'

e2f3c9d83650e090736cf03df74b6950430f5b09.jpg

Personally I'll add strippers and slot machines to MWS, how are you going to have a Bachelor Party without Alcohol, Gambling and Half Naked Women?,

There's a reason why people go to Las Vegas before getting married, besides it's not like the Sims is a family or kid friendly game franchise, we literally had Strippers in the previous installments.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited November 2023
    Well, since Stuff Packs were gone for a long time and then returned, I can't say that we'll never see another Game Pack.

For sure, Horse Ranch should have been a Game Pack. I have no idea what EA was thinking. (I know, they were thinking of money). It's like they have just upgraded (in name only) any Game Packs they make to Expansion Packs to make more money.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    Well, since Stuff Packs were gone for a long time and then returned, I can't say that we'll never see another Game Pack.

For sure, Horse Ranch should have been a Game Pack. I have no idea what EA was thinking. (I know, they were thinking of money). It's like they have just upgraded (in name only) any Game Packs they make to Expansion Packs to make more money.

I agree. As much as I love horses, Horse Ranch should've been a GP from the get-go. Compared to Growing Together and the upcoming For Rent, Horse Ranch was definitely shallow in terms of gameplay. 👍
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥