Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need ideas for Wild West themed activities and holidays

As title says, I need ideas for activities my sims can do in their free time. My legacy is set in 1850s, so no electronics or modern stuff. I would also prefer activities that don't make you gain money, as I'm trying to have my traveler sims struggle for money on purpose.

So far I came up with:
  • Swimming/jogging/doing yoga
  • Sunbathing
  • Reading a book
  • Go for a ride
  • Invite a friend over

I would also love to hear about theme-fitting holidays, as I'm bad at creating them

I have almost every pack, so I have access to almost every feature. But I play on console, so don't suggest things that involve mods.
Any suggestions is appreciated!
Console player (PS). Finally reached 1000+ hours on The Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited August 2023
    Horseshoes maybe, and dancing….now that there is slow dancing and western dancing. Violin and piano playing, and possibly guitar. Maybe have a barn dance. Also, how about a big picnic/dinner outside if the weather is good. And of course there is always courting, going off and picking flowers to give each other or making bouquets, or making out…… lol. Oh, and also card games and drinking.

I don’t play on console, but I don’t use mods or CC.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Host a Hoe-down. That's what we now call a dance party. ;) I'd suggest a barn-raising, but the game doesn't have us build the way they did back then. Most of all, just have fun.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited August 2023
    Since they don't have much money they could spend their holidays at a farm where they could help out for board and lodging.
    And if they don't already know, they could learn there how to make cheese and nectar. And care for animals and how to grow their own vegetables and fruit. How to preserve food for the winter. To be self-sufficient.
    And how to run an off-the-grid farm to save money. And woodworking to make their own furniture.
    Cross stitching and knitting to make their own clothes.

f85df80e01830585b906664b7d853ed56a1e54a8.jpg
    911b8e94acb60103de3123e674b5b0a0744b5312.jpg
    3e97f5f204839050176ca18f73f5e4b8d08931b7.jpg
    bf08148855d53af9cd4b86e9f74371d009b2aefb.jpg
    a9406e728ce61e249b0ae59951e5b0b8e20a468d.jpg
    56cb21519ea360fcee67b12b639ab4d9bf632e9b.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    For holidays, you could go on trips with different purposes, like fishing, finding a rare rock or metal, take pictures, enjoy the local food and wines, learn or advance a skill, research for a new book they are writing, participate in a horse race, etc.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited August 2023
    I find that "telling stories" is always a great option for a wide variety of holidays, as it is something that gets your sims to actually interact as a group, and it is obviously appropriate for any era in history or geographical location. Sitting around a fire telling stories is probably the oldest form of entertainment known to humanity.

Baking is also nice for holidays, especially now that it's something that your sims can do as a group activity.
  • Options
    PifflePrincessPifflePrincess Posts: 106 Member
    I'm doing a challenge in which I have a traveling cowboy (or cowgirl, depending on the generation) who lives for a limited amount of time in a lot set up like a camp (like the Van der Linde gang, if you have played RDR2) before moving again to a different world, and in each camp I roll a different way to gain money.
    So certain activities like horse competitions, searching for collectibles, fishing or playing an instrument already fall into the "source of income" category.

But I've completely forgotten about dancing, and playing sabacc with the Batuu table sounds like a very intersting way to make them lose money and made them even poorer.
    And instead of picnic (I avoid making them travel out of their lot), maybe barbecue events.
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I find that "telling stories" is always a great option for a wide variety of holidays, as it is something that gets your sims to actually interact as a group, and it is obviously appropriate for any era in history or geographical location.

Baking is also nice for holidays, especially now that it's something that your sims can do as a group activity.

These are really good suggestions! I've decided to add the "Simple Living" trait to every camp they visit, so baking sounds an interesting challenge (and again, a good way to make them spend money with ingredients)
    Console player (PS). Finally reached 1000+ hours on The Sims 4.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    So certain activities like horse competitions, searching for collectibles, fishing or playing an instrument already fall into the "source of income" category.

You don't have to exploit those sources of income to the point that they earn too much money. Fishing can tie in with the simple living trait and you can get them to catch their next meal instead of buying it from the grocery store. They could play an instrument for practice not for tips if they just want to entertain themselves. Same with collectibles, don't collect everything, just a few select ones and discard or recycle everything you don't need.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I find that "telling stories" is always a great option for a wide variety of holidays, as it is something that gets your sims to actually interact as a group, and it is obviously appropriate for any era in history or geographical location. Sitting around a fire telling stories is probably the oldest form of entertainment known to humanity.

Yes, and if you tell ghost stories around a campfire, you might even have a ghost appear!
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

You don't have to exploit those sources of income to the point that they earn too much money. Fishing can tie in with the simple living trait and you can get them to catch their next meal instead of buying it from the grocery store. They could play an instrument for practice not for tips if they just want to entertain themselves. Same with collectibles, don't collect everything, just a few select ones and discard or recycle everything you don't need.

You can also use fish to fertilize your plants with instead of selling it.

Also living in the 1800’s is great now with animals and produce as you could use any of those as income in a realistic way….. I do wish we had grocery bins for produce instead of fridges ( for selling ). It makes for a more realistic store than putting fruit and veggies in the fridge, in modern or olden time.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2023
    I was also going to suggest a hoe-down, but @GalacticGal beat me to it.
    A big barbecue is always timeless fun.