Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Horse Ranch Rating!

SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
It is time yet again for my favorite question: how would YOU rate Horse Ranch?

Please remember, though, as always: this is supposed to be a helpful thread for those who are still on the fence about buying this pack. Please ONLY rate this pack if you actually own and have played it for a bit - I understand how important it is to voice our criticisms but there are already other threads dedicated to that. Also: feel free to voice your opinions, but don't go attacking others for theirs. Everyone feels how they feel, it's not up to you to dictate what those feelings should or should not be.

So, without further ado: on a scale from 1 to 10 - 1 being "I wish I could return this atrocity" and 10 being "Simtastic, best pack ever" - how would YOU rate Horse Ranch?

Also, check out people's Horse Ranch Builds here, and feel free to browse how other simmers have rated Growing Together, High School Years, Discover University, Realm of Magic, Island Living and (albeit in a different format) Get Famous :blush:

Your Horse Ranch Rating! 61 votes

0%
0%
4%
SqueekerSimChiChemina78 3 votes
3%
Colorist40hadklax 2 votes
4%
simlish1BubbleFanbrizgal 3 votes
8%
Mstybl95freindlylolsillyangel0906Whitedove52355Gordy 5 votes
13%
Kita5399DragonAge_300905lemonellaKajsa_liisaLenny_OggOceancatSERVERFRAPerti23 8 votes
32%
BluegayleEvvieSimmerSara1010PIcewolfULIBABA66simgirl1010alanmichael1megan_mariapsychoticaEmmaVaneSajahiLewanaM00nRedShoe7SimTrippyBehappy1stHaflingerTashiAmapola76PifflePrincessUniqueKhaos 20 votes
18%
bshag4lvbloomfield113ashcrash19kiwi84RedDestiny92Saga-MinxHearts4uSAEldarinRememberJoyKimmerRazzgar 11 votes
14%
mcruddshygirlDarkLady2788BabykittyjadeWinifred_WillowrjssimEllupelluelluryouma17skip 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2023
    So I give it an 8 because I think the horses are super well done, the world is amazing, I absolutely LOVE that family play is now a thing EA actually knows we want (so thanks for letting kids ride horses; maybe in TS5 you'll also let them do some actual magic :P), it really enhances farm gameplay, and everything just looks super gorgeous. Like really, the pack is just super fun to play with. I haven't regretted it over the past 20+ hours I've been playing it.

However, it's an 8 because I do think some stuff is missing like: (as always) updated Parenthood interactions, magic options (why can't we bind horses as familiars???), a place where you could keep horses if you don't own a ranch (like I feel like IRL you don't need to own a gigantic plot just to have a horse), etc.

It's just that these things really don't dampen my enjoyment of it so a solid 8. Very fun.
    Post edited by SimTrippy on
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    It's missing a few things (some might just be oversights, like Club Activities or Magic menu on horses), but overall: The horses are well done, the nectar making is decently sized and VERY profitable, the world is stunning and more diverse than I expected and so far I'm enjoying the very Sims-type humour of the text adventure in the caverns.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    I'm voting an 8.

A high 8. So it's like 8.75 or somewhere around there.

I do have a preferential bias. I've been horse-mad from pretty much the moment I drew breathe in this world (I had my first pony ride at the age of 18 months, and have been a part of that world ever since.) The very fact that this pack had horses in it sold me from the moment we got all those hints in Growing Together and I was hoping against hope that there would be horses and I was going to buy them no matter what. Whatever pack they came out in, I was determined to buy it. Because I needs thems, precious, I needs thems!

It's in my mind, a solid pack, at doing what it does. Which is deliver us the horses. Now, they're not for everyone, I get that. Just like I wasn't wildly crazy about the idea of reliving my socially awkward secondary education years. And I'm sure there's going to be people with the opposite mindset, and I get that. Agree to disagree.

It's not perfect, I know. It has its flaws and inconsistencies. It could be better, which is why I'm not saying "10s". I'm not wildly crazy about the western theme even if I primarily ride western these days (I have a dressage saddle too and started as a hunter/jumper barn brat so I'm an equal-discipline equestrian). I was actually hoping for a medieval theme given how they'd made a couple of castle type hints with the one of the treehouse decorations and some of the other royal-looking BB they had, so western dude ranch town was kind of ... meh. I'll work with it, but meh.

But I'll take it. I'll take it cuz it's got the ponies. They look good, move good, and fit the world look. Works for me. I have plans, dreams and schemes. Finally, the horses are here and can take my game by storm!
  • Options
    brizgalbrizgal Posts: 147 Member
    Looks fabulous but functions ??? Bugs and I’m not talking about the insect variety! For me, it cost too much for the limited gameplay, limited BB and CAS, and lack of inter-pack compatibility, especially when compared to previous releases… and the very limited inclusions to what was a majorly highlighted factor in the pack’s marketing ie donation in recognition for collaboration... Very mixed feelings about this pack: despite all my disappointment, frustration, anger and feeling cheated of implied content. Hopefully, once again, the modding world will come to EA’s rescue. The pack gets a 5 because I do get to the horses (but no unicorns), goats and sheep and the limited nectar making!
  • Options
    psychoticapsychotica Posts: 215 Member
    I give it about an 8. There are features I would like to see that would add a lot to the horse gameplay.

The horses are great, animations are well done. I would have liked it if you could manipulate their shape more in CAS like you can with human sims. Coat painting is great, you can really make some unique looking horses.

The horse themed jobs on the job board are a nice touch.

Things I would like to see that are not there:

The ability to build and run a complete jumping course. If I am mistaken please let me know but I have only been able to get my horses to do 1 jump over and over. In the sims 3 we could build elaborate courses and run the whole course. I would like to have that ability.

There are no English themed riding clothes. I know it is a western themed pack but they gave us English saddles and show jumping so attire to go with it would be nice.

I would really like to see the ability to Breed your mare to NPC Stallions at the equestrian center and also to offer your stallions for stud at the equestrian center as a way to make money. These seem like things that should be in a horse themed pack. With the household limit still being 8 it would be nice if you could just have a couple of nice mares and pay to breed them just like you would IRL.

Other than those nitpicks I love this pack and had to have it. Horses are the only thing I wanted from the sims 4 and we have been waiting for a long time.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I give it an 8, I love the design and animation of the horses, I think they did a better job than the previous iteration, though I loved it too. I love the CAS, especially for the males, and that is not something I have been able to say for most packs. Love the vibe of build buy objects. I wish we could build our own training courses like we could in Sims 3 and I wish the nectar making was a bit more in depth. I am loving the personalities of the horses, the way they interact with our human Sims, it is so much fun to just watch them. Overall, I think it is completely worth being an expansion. I have been fortunate to not have any game breaking bugs introduced.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    9 because it's not perfect but I am loving it!!!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2023
    Top tier pack.
    I know some say it lacks gameplay objects but the animals (apart from horses) are the literal gameplay objects. And to me they have more replay value than object objects like the mechanical bull.
    That's not to say I don't want those things because there is nothing I don't want in this game, but I'm satisfied with everything they gave us.
    All the animals have high replay value, the world is on my top list next to Sulani. The textures in this pack is amazing. I'm not even replacing a lot of the b/b with my alpha cc because it looks so good as is. The world textures are even looking better and better. And it's just overall gorgeous and I never thought I could feel this way about a desert 🏜 😅.

Big world. Nice variety of lots and I'm very pleased with the lot placements because that does matter to me. Plenty of space to roam.
    Loving the new cowpoke dance 💃
    Western theme on fleet.
    Cas is good but still didn't get a chance to play around with it too much yet.
    Animations of everything are a total pleasure to watch they are just so good. The horses are so detailed and fleshed out I got nothing bad to say about them.
    I can't wait to get to all the other stuff I didn't even try yet because horses alone bring so much gameplay for me and adds so much to my storylines.
    I could go on and on but this pack just hits differently 🔥
    I haven't loved any other game more than ts4 and this pack took my love for it to the next level!
    They really bring us the best version of everything. 💅

And shout out to the gamechangers for these amazing builds. I hate to even replace them but I want something a bit more apocolytic looking. But they are very beautiful.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    It's been buggy for me, even made my gallery stop working.
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    After a few days of playing with TS4 Horse Ranch, I would rate it a 7 out of 10. Overall, I really like the pack, and this is coming from someone who wasn't all too excited about the pack's main feature. I don't have anything against horses at all, but I didn't play with them back in TS3 and didn't have horses on my wish list for TS4.

I really enjoy the new CAS and B/B assets. I like the western theme, but I think I'm bias towards the theme as I reside in Texas. The western assets are items I can see myself utilizing over and over again. I also love the new world of Chestnut Ridge. The new world has beautiful scenery (of course), and I personally feel like there is enough lots and things to do to get enjoyment while playing in it. Keep in mind, we all have the freedom to change the lots to fit our own creativity and that is exactly what I'm doing, so maybe that's why I think there's enough to do.

Now I will say I'm probably not the most suitable sims player to rate the horses and gameplay associated with them. I only played with horses for a few sim days purely to say I've experienced them. With that said, I do like Create a Horse and how customizable the horses can be. I've seen some really beautiful and unique horses on social media and the gallery. I think the horse gameplay has enough depth for me— things like socializing, skill building, breeding, skill competitions, and even just taking care of these horses add a bunch of new gameplay. I felt like there wasn't enough time in a sim day to do everything I wanted because there is so much gameplay added in for them. The sims team obviously spent a lot of time and resources creating the horses and new horse gameplay for us to play with and I think that shows.

As for the other main features advertised, Nectar Making and Mini Animals. I love the nectar making! I really like any new hobby addition. I wanted to see nectar making in an previously released game pack, so I'm happy to see it arrive in this one. The mini animals, specifically goats and sheep, are cute. If you're into cute little animals running around, then I think you'd like them. Not totally my thing, but they do add to the ranch-like aspect of the pack. There are some other nice additions that came with this pack too like the new Cowpoke dance, the Dreadhorse Cavern, the new ranch events, ranch-themed odd jobs, etc.

Though I do like the pack overall, I do have to consider how it compares to other expansion packs. This pack does not offer me much value as I do not see myself playing with its content as much as I play with other expansion pack's content. The main content is horse related, and let's face it, I won't get much out of the pack if I don't play with horses. If circumstances were different for me and I had a tighter budget, I would not have bought this pack until it was listed on sale. This pack is not one that I would recommend to a new simmer if they were just starting out their collection unless horses were a priority of theirs (or if farm gameplay was something they enjoy).

In conclusion, this is a good pack! 7 out of 10 is not bad at all. Just a little too niche for my personal liking, and that is why it fell short of a higher rating from me.
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    edited July 2023
    I do really like the pack so far, and luckily haven’t encountered many bugs. The world is lovely and horses are really well done. I also think they did a nice job with the CAS & build/buy theming. The reasons I wouldn’t rate it higher are: I probably won’t use many of the CAS items outside of that one world (just not my style). The new dance is getting on my nerves already (ex. Sims getting up in my fancy restaurant to cowboy dance to the classical speaker). The nectar making being limited to recipes, and not available in restaurants (without a mod). Finally I would have liked at least two more of the lots to be a bit larger to run ranches on.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    My heart says 10 lol but there are some things I would have liked to be in the pack so I'm a high 8 instead. Minor details like 3 barrels instead of 2 and maybe some riding gear for children (unless i missed that ) I've spent most of my time on the horses and they are done really well. They definitely are a 10/10 in my opinion. And the world is gorgeous. I haven't tried out the nectar as yet but I think a little moonshine would have been a better option. ;-) As my pc is down I haven't got in as much playtime as I would like but soon. Hopefully
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    I gave a rating of 10 because I feel it's a solid pack. It offers a nice world, excellent clothes and build objects, horses and unicorns, and some new interesting gameplay. The pack fits very well into my sim story and is now one of my favorite expansion packs.
  • Options
    PifflePrincessPifflePrincess Posts: 106 Member
    After a few hours of play, I feel like it's an 8 for me.

I've never played horses on TS3, as they never came on console with Pets, so I was dying to get them on TS4. And since I like historical settings (mainly medieval and wild west), horses are a feature that makes my saves feel complete.
    And, I love horses and horse games. So maybe I'm a bit biased.

I have yet to touch the whole nectar making thing, and I still haven't explored horse breeding or the competitions, but I'm in love with horses animations and interactions. I love that they live a long life, so different generations of sims can interact with them. And I feel like they are a bit easier to take care of than dogs or cats. I've built a very big paddock in my ranch, and I can't get enough of my horse running around and do her things. I can't wait to get more horses and see what happens!

B/B and CAS also play a big part of my high score. Since console players don't have access to CCs, creating builds and outfits for historical legacies can be a bit of a challenge. This pack helps a lot when it comes to rustic, old-looking furnitures, and it's great for western-themed saves.

The only thing keeping me from a higher score are the small bugs that, as expected of new packs, pop up here and there. It's nothing too game breaking (at least for me), but they might be a bit annoying.

All in all, I doubt I will ever regret buying this pack at launch for full price!
    Console player (PS). Finally reached 1000+ hours on The Sims 4.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    I am 110% biased.

Of course it's not perfect, but I have wanted horses for so long, that I admit with whole heart I do look thru horse shaped glasses :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I voted 9, I've been always a horse girl and I have been wanting horses in the sims since the game was released. Reason only a 9 is because I think the world is a little empty, I wish there was a few more npc's that lived around
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I really like the horses, outfits, accessories, objects, skills, traits & the new world.😉
  • Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    9 because it's not perfect but I am loving it!!!

Same here!
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I was debating if I should give it 8 or 9 and I decided to go with 9 because I've loved every minute of playing it.
    At first I was disappointed because it felt like they sold a game pack with EP price, but I'm entertained, there's enough to do and I'm not getting bored. The new world is gorgeous and I'm a big fan of nectar making and all the animals, big and small. This pack totally surprised me positively, especially after all the negativity that it's gotten. :)
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    I am 110% biased.

Of course it's not perfect, but I have wanted horses for so long, that I admit with whole heart I do look thru horse shaped glasses :D

Ha ha this is so how I wanted to vote but I had my "glasses" off when I did. Now I have to wait until my computer fixed to play proper again. Hmm maybe I jinxed myself not voting with my heart.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I give it a 10, even with the odd little mounting horse glitch that happens sometimes. I wish we could have had clubs included for this pack-perhaps they will patch that in later? That would be nice. I am enjoying everything about this pack, nicely done.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    I'm on the fence. To finally have horses again is pretty exciting for me and the goats/sheep are a nice addition.

But I don't like the world and the western theme (plus there is only one 64x64 lot - in a horse pack...)
    I can't see any of my Sims use anything from the CAS.
    The items from the BB can be used in other vintage builds and I really appreciate that.
    The horses look really good but sadly they occupy a household slot, which I'll never understand because we can't control them anyway.
    Like vampires and werewolves this should rather have been a game pack, it's too shallow for an EP.
    Nectarmaking: we will try that out for once but we can easily live without.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I am enjoying it tremendously because I love animals, but I gave it a 6 because I'm experiencing a ton of bugs and lots of things I want to do are not supported. I'm also really disappointed that any horse related content is in a rabbit hole and the only real thing we can do is just watch the horses ride around the map. Overall, while I love the new animals and I think the animations are great, I am really let down by the lack of content and activities. It sucks that my family can't just go on a group ride together and that highlights something else that bothers me overall. The sims never group do anything and it's just like they can talk to one another and that's it. When they go out together, they don't stay together like a normal human group would. They don't play games together. They don't have activities to do together. Kids don't play normal kids games together. This is like a perfect pack for group activities...I thought there would at least be trailheads where you can select a group and take a hike together. But instead, it's just like a bunch of single individuals living together and never quite doing anything together.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2023
    6/10
    Horses are good, but they suffer from glitches. I wish they got more toys, and I wish there were different kinds of training equipment - it gets boring, seeing them use the same items over and over again. I like the off-lot training and competitions, but competitions being rabbit holes is kind of eh. I like how there are multiple levels to competitions, and the knock-off Odd Jobs system is a welcome addition.

But nectar making feels shallow in comparison to juice fizzing, and the mini animals feel like worse cows and llamas. They lack the support cows and llamas had, are easier to forget, and while they're not glued to a barn, they feel less interesting overall imo.

The world is small and empty, but it's very pretty and atmospheric. It feels like a step up over the last few worlds. I don't think I'll play here often, but I'm glad to be in it.

No unicorns. :(

CAS/BB mostly a flop, but we got this one fence type I've wanted for years, so that's a whole point in the pack's favor.

Also, and I know I keep saying this, but I still can't get over the fact that Sims 3 Pets had almost all of this pack, Cats & Dogs AND MFSP in one pack, and did a lot of it better. And still had more content.

But it's also an animal pack, and I freaking love animals, so I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of this pack. But it could have been better, and when I play it, I can't help but notice where it lacks.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    A solid 8. This pack is a little glitchy but I love these horses so much. I wish there were a few more rabbit holes or usable lots. I also wish there were more toys, my horses frequently refuse to use the ball but then get uncomfortable because they're bored. And if not more toys then an option to encourage them to play with other horses or something.